PDA

View Full Version : The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

number8
05-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Marvel today released the theater dates for their upcoming movies.

Iron Man 2 - April 30, 2010
Thor - June 4, 2010

The interesting bit? The Avengers is a two-parter, but combined with Captain America.

The First Avenger: Captain America (that's what they're calling it) - May 6, 2011
The Avengers - July 2011

Yes, I'm gonna source myself (http://www.justpressplay.net/viewarticle/captain-america-and-avengers-to-be-2-parter-in-2011/)

Sycophant
05-05-2008, 04:38 PM
I don't know much about these properties, but I like the idea of the release schedule for The Avengers films.

megladon8
05-05-2008, 04:42 PM
I'm only really excited about Iron Man 2.

Never been particularly interested in Thor.

Captain America is a great character, but I anticipate a bad movie.

And I'm thinking The Avengers movie will be much better in concept than in execution.

But hey, they've just begun development stages on all of these, so I'll wait and see.

Ezee E
05-05-2008, 04:47 PM
I thought they already were confirmed. I'll wait until casting and directors are made before I make any judgement.

The Captain America/Avengers idea sounds neat on paper.

number8
05-05-2008, 05:08 PM
I thought they already were confirmed. I'll wait until casting and directors are made before I make any judgement.

Well, Matthew Vaughn is doing Thor and Favreau is doing Iron Man 2. And it's looking likely that he'll take on The Avengers.

Watashi
05-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Sweet. At least that confirms that Cap's film will take place in WWII.

Doclop
05-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Cool! I like the Avengers stuff. Will be quite an unusual strategy, but it certainly has promise.

Sycophant
05-05-2008, 05:40 PM
I like sequels released in quick succession. I'm less enthused about the idea of Favreau helming all three of those films.

bac0n
05-05-2008, 07:08 PM

yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

Grouchy
05-05-2008, 07:56 PM
Hmm... I dunno. You're thinking that because of the "First Avenger" title, right? I'd like it to be set on WWII too, but I don't know how the marketing big shots will feel about that.

Dukefrukem
05-05-2008, 08:03 PM
I was gonna post this about the Avengers... the fact that Capt film will take place during WWII is pretty cool...

ledfloyd
05-05-2008, 08:11 PM
the cap title along with cassavetes rumored to be directing really make me wary. which is a shame cause cap is my fav superhero.

number8
05-05-2008, 08:21 PM
What do you think the "pissed off to orgasmic" ratio is going to be for Paul Greengrass' Captain America?

Sycophant
05-05-2008, 08:24 PM
What do you think the "pissed off to orgasmic" ratio is going to be for Paul Greengrass' Captain America?Wait, what? Was there a rumor? An announcement? 'Cause if there's truth to this, my interest in the project just skyrocketed.

ledfloyd
05-05-2008, 08:37 PM
What do you think the "pissed off to orgasmic" ratio is going to be for Paul Greengrass' Captain America?
i'm with syc. not a fan of shaky cam. but greengrass seems like a pretty solid fit for caps political thriller nature.

number8
05-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Wait, what? Was there a rumor? An announcement? 'Cause if there's truth to this, my interest in the project just skyrocketed.

No, just my wishful thinking. Sorry. Although I like the idea of Damon as Cap.

megladon8
05-07-2008, 07:39 PM
If this (http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Captain-America-May-Be-Matthew-McConaughey-8737.html) happens, I am abandoning hope.

Sycophant
05-07-2008, 07:44 PM
If this (http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Captain-America-May-Be-Matthew-McConaughey-8737.html) happens, I am abandoning hope.The other things they would have to do to get me in the theater with him cast as Captain America are beyond mortal comprehension.

megladon8
05-07-2008, 09:40 PM
The other things they would have to do to get me in the theater with him cast as Captain America are beyond mortal comprehension.

You mean provide you with sexual favors while watching the movie?

[ETM]
05-08-2008, 12:00 AM
I hope all of them bomb disastrously and end the trend once and for all.

number8
05-08-2008, 12:03 AM
;63507']I hope all of them bomb disastrously and end the trend once and for all.

That would make way for another trend that is already starting to happen: adapting Japanese anime.

megladon8
05-08-2008, 12:19 AM
I'll take super heroes over animé any day of the week.

jenniferofthejungle
05-08-2008, 12:44 AM
If this (http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Captain-America-May-Be-Matthew-McConaughey-8737.html) happens, I am abandoning hope.

I'm not a fan, but I can see him in that role, especially after his performances in Frailty and Lone Star. This would help him wash away the stink of every one of those lame-assed romantic crapfests he's done lately.

megladon8
05-08-2008, 12:48 AM
I'm not a fan, but I can see him in that role, especially after his performances in Frailty and Lone Star. This would help him wash away the stink of every one of those lame-assed romantic crapfests he's done lately.

I must disagree.

I would hate to see him in the role, since he would surely make it a clause in his contract that the costume be modified so that he's topless.

Maybe it'd be like, Captain America body paint or something.

And there'd be a montage of him lathering himself up with paint.

Then another montage of him in the shower, washing it all off.

I just can't really take him seriously.

I agree, Frailty, Lone Star and even Contact had good performances from him, but that's before he sort of became a human caricature.

jenniferofthejungle
05-08-2008, 12:50 AM
:lol: You win.

lovejuice
05-08-2008, 05:06 AM
;63507']I hope all of them bomb disastrously and end the trend once and for all.

wow, you really hate them that much?

number8
05-08-2008, 03:37 PM

Hell, I hate this trend.

Maybe I'm weird to want my comic books stay as comic books.

lovejuice
05-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Hell, I hate this trend.

why, aren't you happy with a number of super-hero movies lately?

Raiders
05-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Hell, I hate this trend.

And I want my novels to stay novels.

That's it! Only original screenplays for the rest of eternity!

Ezee E
05-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Some characters I understand becoming movies like Hulk and Iron Man. They are well-known and accessible.

But Elektra? Did anyone really want an Elektra movie? And why were they so lazy about it? That was one of the most boring movies I've seen.

lovejuice
05-08-2008, 05:02 PM
But Elektra? Did anyone really want an Elektra movie? And why were they so lazy about it? That was one of the most boring movies I've seen.

elektra is simply a bad bad bad movie. i only watch it because of gardner.

number8
05-08-2008, 05:10 PM
why, aren't you happy with a number of super-hero movies lately?

Yes, I can appreciate movies individually, so if it's good then it's good, but I still don't like the fact that Hollywod is always trying to get the next big comic book movie. My problem is with the fact that all they want is the next Spider-man. When they snatch a comic book property, they're looking at it as a tentpole movie first.

To me, it's unnecessary to adapt graphic novels like Y: The Last Man or V For Vendetta or Wanted or Watchmen. I don't want to see that--they're already a finite story in a visual form I enjoy. But that's me personally because I read those things. I treat comics as a very serious medium. Superhero movies are a different story because it's not an adaptation so much as it is a compartmentalization. But even then, I think that unless you can have something relevant to say with the character or offer a definitive take, don't even bother. Take this Captain America movie. A politically-fueled Cap movie, examining what it means to be a patriot or representing a country with ideals you don't agree with? That's warranted. That's great. A Cap movie with him running around New York throwing his shield at some supervillain, I'm less enthused about.

Unfortunately, Hollywood has found a very viable self-serving market here. By adapting comics and cartoons, not only do they have a built-in fanbase, but the community connects with each other and every hit serves to market the next project. You don't really have this with novels. It's not like people are going, "Hey! I liked Kite Runner a lot, and this new movie is based on a novel, too! Maybe I'll give it a try." With comic books, you do have non-readers going "Hey, X-Men was good. Marvel superheroes are cool! I'm gonna go see Avengers!" There are also people who equate Transformers with G.I. Joe just because they belong to the same bubble, even though one has nothing to do with the other production-wise.

I've said it before in the Hancock thread. I like the concept of superheroes because, like science fiction, they're rich for social commentary, but they're also a great conduit for explorations of mythology. But what I want to see is expanding the genres and ideas on how movies treat superheroes. I'm tired of every superhero movie trying to be the next big hit, the next blow-em-up-CGI-spectacle summer popcorn movie. There's nothing wrong with it and if it's done well I'll probably enjoy it, but the lack of variety saddens me.

Sycophant
05-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Well put, 8.

It's kind of struck me as weird that in recent years, comic book superhero movies have become event movies/social obligations/brand loyalty products in the way generally reserved for big franchise threequels like Pirates of the Caribbean. Despite the relatively small regular audience for comic books themselves, their adaptations sell to absolutely everyone. That's pretty much the anti-incentive for artistic innovations within the genre, as everyone is just gonna keep seeing them.

And one of the few truly artistsically satisfying superhero films was Lee's Hulk. Which they're pretty much rebuking.

number8
05-08-2008, 05:30 PM
Despite the relatively small regular audience for comic books themselves, their adaptations sell to absolutely everyone.

Totally. And that's the rock they're hiding under. There's this big ball of optimism in the comic book industry because Hollywood is taking interest, and I just shake my head because I know it'll pass. And it's also self-destructive because you have Marvel and DC scrambling to accommodate these phantom "new readers" that the movies bring in, ruining their own niche market. What's funny is that Hollywood is actually pretty much using the comic book community to market their movies. They create this big buzz in that crowd, and the enthusiasm is reported by the media and it becomes a wave in the general public. It actually works, as we've all seen.

And don't get me started on the failed screenwriters who are writing comic books with no other purpose than to hope that it gets optioned for a movie. That shit makes me sick to my stomach.

[ETM]
05-08-2008, 11:37 PM

I don't hate them, it's just... Thor?! I mean, really?

Ezee E
05-08-2008, 11:38 PM
They should cast MM for Thor. Because then I'd have more reason to careless about it.

lovejuice
05-08-2008, 11:48 PM
;63730']I don't hate them, it's just... Thor?! I mean, really?

not familiar at all with the comic. but here he looks uber-badass.

http://images.wikia.com/marveldatabase/images/thumb/d/d2/Thor_60_cov_(by_Dan_Brereton). jpg/300px-Thor_60_cov_(by_Dan_Brereton). jpg

Watashi
05-09-2008, 12:51 AM
Vaughn is no longer attached to Thor (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i61e5a1702fe168400bad9fc6ddd fccd6).

Please no Brett Ratner. Please no Brett Ratner. Please no Brett Ratner.

transmogrifier
05-09-2008, 01:00 AM
Because then I'd have more reason to careless about it.

There is a poetic grandeur to this sentence that renders any subsequent forms of written communication pointless and trite.

Ezee E
05-09-2008, 03:49 AM
There is a poetic grandeur to this sentence that renders any subsequent forms of written communication pointless and trite.
And yet, I get no rep out of it.

megladon8
06-12-2008, 09:09 PM
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2889/marvelslatecg0.jpg

Ivan Drago
06-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Uhhh...apparently pro wrestler Triple H is in the running to play Thor.

As a wrestling fan, I think it's badass, but as a movie fan, I don't think it'd be good.

Sycophant
06-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Any more word on who's directing (or posssibly writing) these? Because my interest pretty much begins and ends there.

megladon8
06-13-2008, 12:18 AM
Any more word on who's directing (or posssibly writing) these? Because my interest pretty much begins and ends there.

I think Nick Cassavetes is attached to direct The First Avenger: Captain America.

That's all I know.

Matthew Vaughn used to be attached to Thor, but that ended like a year ago.

Skitch
06-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Has Marvel signed Faverau for IM2 yet? Or are they still planning on going with someone else? Stupid assholes...

megladon8
06-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Has Marvel signed Faverau for IM2 yet? Or are they still planning on going with someone else? Stupid assholes...

Nope, they haven't signed anyone on yet.

And Favreau is very concerned with the release date scheduled for 2010. He feels this isn't enough time to put together something truly original and that fans and critics will like, instead of just making something quickly and easily to cash in on the first movie's success.

I think that's a pretty admirable statement fromt a guy working in "the system".

Sycophant
06-13-2008, 05:00 PM
I don't like his movies much, but Favreau seems like a pretty swell guy.

Considering the lack of development, isn't Marvel getting a little trigger happy with these announcements?

megladon8
06-13-2008, 05:05 PM
Considering the lack of development, isn't Marvel getting a little trigger happy with these announcements?

That's what I've been thinking, especially with Favreau's concern over the release date of Iron Man II.

But I'm glad they at least have goals that they're setting in motion.

Dead & Messed Up
06-14-2008, 07:39 AM
Yes, I can appreciate movies individually, so if it's good then it's good, but I still don't like the fact that Hollywod is always trying to get the next big comic book movie. My problem is with the fact that all they want is the next Spider-man. When they snatch a comic book property, they're looking at it as a tentpole movie first.

To me, it's unnecessary to adapt graphic novels like Y: The Last Man or V For Vendetta or Wanted or Watchmen. I don't want to see that--they're already a finite story in a visual form I enjoy. But that's me personally because I read those things. I treat comics as a very serious medium. Superhero movies are a different story because it's not an adaptation so much as it is a compartmentalization. But even then, I think that unless you can have something relevant to say with the character or offer a definitive take, don't even bother. Take this Captain America movie. A politically-fueled Cap movie, examining what it means to be a patriot or representing a country with ideals you don't agree with? That's warranted. That's great. A Cap movie with him running around New York throwing his shield at some supervillain, I'm less enthused about.

Unfortunately, Hollywood has found a very viable self-serving market here. By adapting comics and cartoons, not only do they have a built-in fanbase, but the community connects with each other and every hit serves to market the next project. You don't really have this with novels. It's not like people are going, "Hey! I liked Kite Runner a lot, and this new movie is based on a novel, too! Maybe I'll give it a try." With comic books, you do have non-readers going "Hey, X-Men was good. Marvel superheroes are cool! I'm gonna go see Avengers!" There are also people who equate Transformers with G.I. Joe just because they belong to the same bubble, even though one has nothing to do with the other production-wise.

I've said it before in the Hancock thread. I like the concept of superheroes because, like science fiction, they're rich for social commentary, but they're also a great conduit for explorations of mythology. But what I want to see is expanding the genres and ideas on how movies treat superheroes. I'm tired of every superhero movie trying to be the next big hit, the next blow-em-up-CGI-spectacle summer popcorn movie. There's nothing wrong with it and if it's done well I'll probably enjoy it, but the lack of variety saddens me.

Wow.

I agree pretty much completely. Not only because of studio chum like Elektra, Ghost Rider, and Fantastic Four. But because the entire notion of superhero films have become a commodity.

After Iron Man, I was actually depressed. Not because it's a bad movie (it isn't), but because I found the final act uninspired and dry. It's the same type of climax we've seen in these films a dozen times. I was left wishing that the film had returned to its most interesting sections - when Stark murdered his Afghani enemies. That scene suggested all manner of insights into morality, violence as a solution, the worth of a superhero in modern times, etc.

Maybe Hancock can give us a fresh angle, but I suspect it will similarly slide into the patterns of superhero films. Smith doesn't want to mess with a good thing.

Watashi
07-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Mulholland Dr. actor and Tropic Thunder scriber, Justin Theroux, is writing Iron Man 2. (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=46906)

bac0n
07-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Uhhh...apparently pro wrestler Triple H is in the running to play Thor.

As a wrestling fan, I think it's badass, but as a movie fan, I don't think it'd be good.

Fucking ugh. :frustrated:

megladon8
07-26-2008, 01:49 AM
I read that Marvel is interested in John Barrowman for Captain America.

Now, I always thought it was kind of silly when people didn't like a Welsh man playing Batman...but I do find this kind of weird.

His name is Captain AMERICA...and they're going to hire a Scottish guy?

Is there absolutely no one in America who they think could handle the role? No one at all?

I also imagine there'll be hell to pay when people realize that he's not only Scottish, but gay as well.

Grouchy
07-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Well... it's called acting. If he looks and plays the part, I don't see the problem.

megladon8
07-27-2008, 12:17 AM
Well... it's called acting. If he looks and plays the part, I don't see the problem.

I don't either, but we're talking about the general public here.

These are the same people who sent death threats to Ian McKellen for playing Gandalf.

Grouchy
07-27-2008, 12:56 AM
I don't either, but we're talking about the general public here.

These are the same people who sent death threats to Ian McKellen for playing Gandalf.
I didn't know that. Because of his gayness? That's just goofy.

On somewhat related news, J.K. Rowling claims Dumbledore is thought up as a gay character.

megladon8
07-27-2008, 12:39 PM
I didn't know that. Because of his gayness? That's just goofy.

On somewhat related news, J.K. Rowling claims Dumbledore is thought up as a gay character.

Yes, I read that as well.

Having only seen the Harry Potter movies, I have to admit I never really contemplated his sexual orientation :confused:

megladon8
08-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Mike O'Hearn (aka "Titan" from "American Gladiators") to play Cap and Conan? (http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/08/05/mike-ohearn-in-talks-as-conan-auditioning-for-captain-america/)

Scar
08-06-2008, 05:18 PM
Mike O'Hearn (aka "Titan" from "American Gladiators") to play Cap and Conan? (http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/08/05/mike-ohearn-in-talks-as-conan-auditioning-for-captain-america/)

Please no.

D_Davis
08-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Yes, I read that as well.

Having only seen the Harry Potter movies, I have to admit I never really contemplated his sexual orientation :confused:

I've imagined Hermywine as a lesbian, along with that entire school of hot chicks.

I'm progressive like that.

Saya
10-12-2008, 06:59 PM
'Iron Man’ Writers Want Hulk To Be ‘The Avengers’ Villain (http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/10/09/iron-man-writers-want-hulk-to-be-the-avengers-villain/)

“The Incredible Hulk” director Louis Leterrier told MTV News this past June that he didn’t think any villain could, and suggested that they use a hero instead: his.

“Iron Man” writers Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, who themselves may be writing another Marvel movie in the near future, couldn’t agree more, they told MTV News, insisting that everything is building towards making The Hulk the villain in the eagerly anticipated 2011 movie.

“I hope ‘The Avengers’ embraces that,” Fergus said of having the Hulk as misunderstood baddie. “You don’t want like 10 super-badass good guys fighting together. Where’s the fun in that? Let’s break it off a little. Friends or colleagues who become enemies is always an interesting thing because you know it’s based on love and friendship and that’s always the worst thing to have turn bad — is someone you actually care about and someone you actually believe in.”

number8
10-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Um, The Ultimates called?

Raiders
10-12-2008, 10:03 PM
What characters are in The Avengers?

Isn't there an Ant-Man?

I guess they won't be doing that movie...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478970/

The Mike
10-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Does kinda make sense considering the ending of Hulk.

Ivan Drago
10-13-2008, 12:44 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478970/

How awesome would it be if Nick Frost and/or Simon Pegg did that with Edgar Wright?

EvilShoe
10-13-2008, 07:11 AM
How awesome would it be if Nick Frost and/or Simon Pegg did that with Edgar Wright?
What a crazy idea!!!!

Saya
10-13-2008, 01:32 PM
What characters are in The Avengers?

I haven't read much about The Avengers, just The Ultimates 1 & 2. And the team in that comic consisted of The Hulk / Banner, Captain America, Thor, Ant-Man, Wasp, Iron Man, Hawkeye and Black Widow.

It seems most of them will get their individual movie before the Avengers movie. I don't think there are plans for a Hawkeye or Black Widow movie yet.

number8
10-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Some heroes are meant for team books only or act as supporting characters. Like Hawkeye, Black Widow and The Wasp.

Raiders
10-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Well, to be fair, I don't think Wright's Ant-Man film is related to this slate of "Avengers" films. Meaning, I don't think there's any studio contract linking it to this mega-project and it won't necessarily be the same actor or tone for the Ant-Man film and The Avengers film.

Isn't that correct?

number8
10-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Probably. From what I hear, it's an action-comedy more based on the new Ant-Man character who uses his powers for personal gain (like peeping superheroines in the shower).

Watashi
10-14-2008, 07:05 AM
Don Cheadle to replace Terrance Howard in Iron Man 2. (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3ibc7ed676383467c2ef5b0b84b92 4a87b)

Uh, wut?

Sxottlan
10-14-2008, 08:29 AM
Well, that's kind of a shame. I think I like Cheadle better, but it's always kind of annoying when they replace an actor.

The Mike
10-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Well, that's kind of a shame. I think I like Cheadle better, but it's always kind of annoying when they replace an actor.Ditto that.

Grouchy
10-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Well, that's kind of a shame. I think I like Cheadle better, but it's always kind of annoying when they replace an actor.
Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Ezee E
10-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Both would've been great, so I won't complain.

number8
10-14-2008, 04:36 PM
I like the people saying they should've replaced him with Cuba Gooding, Jr. I agree that they should cast him, but not as Jim Rhodes. Perhaps Iron Man's armor shiner?

megladon8
10-28-2008, 10:31 PM
In case it wasn't official enough for you, it's been officially officialized for complete officialness. (http://movies.ign.com/articles/924/924691p1.html)

Ezee E
10-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Hopefully the Avengers are already assembled so that we don't have to waste an hour seeing how it all happens. But, I bet that's what we'll get.

Then the last half hour being some big battle against, Apocalypse? Dr. Strange (who they also want to make a movie about)?

number8
10-28-2008, 10:41 PM
The more I think about this, the worse it's starting to sound.

Ezee E
10-28-2008, 10:46 PM
The more I think about this, the worse it's starting to sound.
The same thing would happen with a Justice League movie.

There's just no way you could really combine high-caliber superheros into a movie because they'll each have to have a star-making scene, equal screentime, and so on.

Maybe they'll surprise us somehow, but I'd definitely take an Iron Man 3 as the third option for Downey instead of Avengers if we had to take one or the other.

megladon8
10-28-2008, 10:47 PM
I like the idea of Hulk being the big "problem" they have to overcome.

number8
10-29-2008, 02:30 AM
I like the idea of Hulk being the big "problem" they have to overcome.

It makes sense, but it's such a tired idea. Nevermind the comics, do they really want to have the same plot as a direct-to-video animated movie that was just released two years ago? Plus both Hulk movies already painted him as a menace.

Whatever. I guess, according to my thesis, Hulk vs Iron Man would at least be more fun to watch than Hulk vs Abomination.

Ezee E
10-29-2008, 02:36 AM
It makes sense, but it's such a tired idea. Nevermind the comics, do they really want to have the same plot as a direct-to-video animated movie that was just released two years ago? Plus both Hulk movies already painted him as a menace.

Whatever. I guess, according to my thesis, Hulk vs Iron Man would at least be more fun to watch than Hulk vs Abomination.
But then where does Thor and Captain America fit in?

My guess is Hulk joins them in the end to beat down whoever it is.

Ugh.

EvilShoe
10-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Don Cheadle to replace Terrance Howard in Iron Man 2. (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3ibc7ed676383467c2ef5b0b84b92 4a87b)

Uh, wut?
At least now Howard can fully focus on his music career.
(http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=yX_C0YYkU8A)

Henry Gale
10-31-2008, 06:14 PM
At least now Howard can fully focus on his music career.
(http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=yX_C0YYkU8A)

The intro to that song sounds almost exactly like something of Sufjan Stevens' Illinois.

Anyway, not sure if anyone else heard an interview he did recently (I think it was NPR) where he basically said he heard he was being replaced the same way the rest of us did. You have to wonder exactly what happened.

EvilShoe
11-10-2008, 07:24 AM
So... Joe Johnston will direct the Captain America movie.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=50380

*Yawn*

Dukefrukem
11-26-2008, 02:36 AM
Quint: Great well what about a potential HULK sequel? Gale Anne Hurd’s been going around talking about how you might be The Leader and the main villain of the next one.

Tim Blake Nelson: That’s the plan. That’s what they tell me, but I don’t know when that’s happening or what the details are but I am eager to do it and I hear that’s in the works. I would tell you if I knew more, but I honestly don’t.

Quint: Yeah, but you haven’t played a comic-book villain yet right?

Tim Blake Nelson: No, but I had a great time doing HULK, so if they want me for HULK 2 I’m there, it certainly was the plan going into HULK 1. When I met with them they said this is where it’s headed so I’m eager to do it.

I felt the new hulk was completely mediocre.

number8
11-26-2008, 02:39 AM
If by mediocre, you mean sucky, then you are correct.

I like Tim Blake Nelson, but The Leader is uber lame. Meh. I'd like it better if they had not cut out all the Doc Samson scenes and then expand him for the sequel. What a dumb move there, eliminating the more interesting parts of the movie in favor of dumb CGI wrestling. No wonder Norton threw a hissy fit.

Ezee E
11-26-2008, 02:43 AM
Maybe they can bring Omar in the mix since he was just an extra in the last one. Heh

Omar with the radiation. :eek:

Dukefrukem
11-26-2008, 02:44 AM
Yeh, I'd never watch it again so that pretty much qualifies as sucking.

The ending fight was very weak and like you said, a CGI mess.

megladon8
11-26-2008, 02:45 AM
I liked the new movie.

The Mike
11-26-2008, 03:27 AM
I liked the new movie.Truth.

And yes, I just called truth on you liking the movie.

I meant to go with "I liked the new movie, too."

megladon8
11-26-2008, 03:30 AM
Truth.

And yes, I just called truth on you liking the movie.

I meant to go with "I liked the new movie, too."

:lol:

It was a heck of a lot of fun. I still have a nerd-gasm every time I see Hulk break that police car in half for boxing gloves.

Morris Schæffer
11-26-2008, 10:48 AM
Both movies are extremely watchable, but blah. I just don't like the character of Hulk that much. Give me something rooted in reality such as The Dark Knight. At least the drama becomes palpable, the action genuinely thrilling.

Skitch
11-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Just watched the bluray last night.

Shiny.

The Mike
11-26-2008, 01:20 PM
Give me something rooted in reality such as The Dark Knight. At least the drama becomes palpable, the action genuinely thrilling.

This is pretty much the opposite of my thoughts (Though I do like Dark Knight). Reality sucks.

megladon8
11-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Both movies are extremely watchable, but blah. I just don't like the character of Hulk that much. Give me something rooted in reality such as The Dark Knight. At least the drama becomes palpable, the action genuinely thrilling.

I really don't see how reality makes action more thrilling.

It's the filming of the action, and the connection you have with the characters involved.

Scar
11-26-2008, 05:14 PM
I liked the last 10-20 mn of The Incredible Hulk, and that was it.

Grouchy
11-26-2008, 05:53 PM
I liked the last 10-20 mn of The Incredible Hulk, and that was it.
Exactly my feelings.

number8
11-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Funny, I liked the first 10-20 mins, and that was it.

Morris Schæffer
11-27-2008, 10:54 AM
I really don't see how reality makes action more thrilling.

It's the filming of the action, and the connection you have with the characters involved.

Maybe it's a personal thing Meg so don't get all defensive on my ass.:) Nevertheless, is it entirely wrong for me to say that a character such as Iron Man or Batman is far more vulnerable than The Hulk? Sometimes I think there's a reason why The Dark Knight is referred to as a crime movie, allowing it to escape its (inherently?) pulpy origins. I think the character of Wayne/Batman lends itself to that. The likes of Hellboy and Hulk seem more colorful and overblown by comparison. I'm sure this rule isn't etched in stone - Jackson turned a giant gorilla into a jaw-droppingly expressive and vulnerable creation - but the Hulk movies haven't really achieved the same. It strikes me as a far bigger challenge to turn something like Hulk into a resonating and powerful motion picture. I feel that is easier to accomplish within the Batman universe.

Ezee E
11-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Funny, I liked the first 10-20 mins, and that was it.
Whereas, for me, I liked the first ten minutes, and the last ten minutes.

The Mike
11-27-2008, 02:37 PM
I liked many minutes of the film. There were some minutes I disliked, and also some minutes I was indifferent to.

Grouchy
11-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Minute 28 is easily the best in the whole movie. They should release it on a separate DVD.

Wryan
11-27-2008, 04:37 PM
Pussies. Musical cue 128 was the only reason to see the film.

Ezee E
01-08-2009, 02:37 AM
Rourke as Whiplash
Rockwell as Justin Hammer

I don't know the villains, but the casting is already awesome.

Amnesiac
01-08-2009, 03:06 AM

Yeah, that's all I can say in regards to this, too.

The Mike
01-08-2009, 04:44 AM
SuperHeroHype.com is reporting Rourke as both Whiplash AND the Crimson Dynamo. WTF?

Rockwell will be a great Hammer, though I always thought he was an older fellow.

EDIT: Actually, it now only says Rourke as Dynamo. Which is awesome, though many will see it as a rehash of the first.

Ivan Drago
01-08-2009, 05:07 AM
Rourke as Whiplash
Rockwell as Justin Hammer

Is this for Captain America or Thor? Because I don't know the villains to know what comic they're from.

The Mike
01-08-2009, 05:59 AM
Is this for Captain America or Thor? Because I don't know the villains to know what comic they're from.Iron Man 2

If I'm not mistaken, Rockwell's character is a rival businessman who becomes obsessed with destroying Stark. Rourke is (probably) playing a russian arms dealer who ends up being given the Crimson Dynamo suit (an exoskeleton similar to Stark's but built more for strength and defense).

Superherohype also reports they are still casting for an assistant for Stark named Natasha...perhaps the Black Widow? :confused:

megladon8
01-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Paul Bettany will be back as Jarvis.

And I thought it was funny that, in the interview where he confirms his return for the sequel, he mentioned that he had completely forgotten that he was even in the first movie :lol:

megladon8
01-14-2009, 06:25 PM
Samuel L. Jackson might not be Nick Fury anymore??? (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2009/01/nick-fury-no-mo.html)

First Howard, now Jackson...:sad:

Sycophant
01-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Casting changes... Joe Johnston...

Now might be a good time to start bracing yourself for a massive onslaught of suck, meg.

megladon8
01-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Wow, Marvel is offering Mickey Rourke the wonderful sum of $250,000 to play Crimson Dynamo.

It seems they're following up a year of success by being total twats.

Ezee E
01-22-2009, 02:28 AM
Wow, Marvel is offering Mickey Rourke the wonderful sum of $250,000 to play Crimson Dynamo.

It seems they're following up a year of success by being total twats.
Minor role?

megladon8
01-22-2009, 02:33 AM
Minor role?

No, it sounds like he's the main villain. Or one of two main villains (there are rumors that The Mandarin may be in it as well).

Ezee E
01-22-2009, 02:35 AM
No, it sounds like he's the main villain. Or one of two main villains (there are rumors that The Mandarin may be in it as well).
Yeah, Rockwell is playing someone in it.

megladon8
01-22-2009, 02:37 AM
Yeah, Rockwell is playing someone in it.

Yeah he's just a businessman from the sounds of it, unless they have some wild card up their sleeves.

In terms of villainy, probably equivalent to Lao in The Dark Knight.

The Mike
01-22-2009, 04:21 AM
Yeah he's just a businessman from the sounds of it, unless they have some wild card up their sleeves.

In terms of villainy, probably equivalent to Lao in The Dark Knight.:confused:

Justin Hammer was part of the comics off and on for 21 years, it looks like. I've always been under the impression that he's one of the bigger IM villains. (Which is kinda like being one of the smartest kids with down's syndrome, but still.)

number8
01-22-2009, 06:15 AM
He is a pretty significant villain, although not a super-villain. He's more like Stane is in the first movie, except he doesn't suit up himself, he gets Rourke to do it.

megladon8
01-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Another casting loss.

Emily Blunt has left Iron Man 2 to star in Gulliver's Travels. (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117999277.html?categoryid=1 3&cs=1)

Kurosawa Fan
01-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Another casting loss.

Emily Blunt has left Iron Man 2 to star in Gulliver's Travels. (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117999277.html?categoryid=1 3&cs=1)

This just in: my interest in Iron Man 2 has just fallen, while surprisingly my interest in Gulliver's Travels is on the rise.

Acapelli
01-30-2009, 08:24 PM
kinda glad, she didn't seem to be right for black widow at all

but i really haven't seen anything she's been in, so i could be wrong

Watashi
01-30-2009, 08:33 PM
This just in: my interest in Iron Man 2 has just fallen, while surprisingly my interest in Gulliver's Travels is on the rise.
The fact that you had interest in Gullivar's Travels to begin with is just sad.

Kurosawa Fan
01-30-2009, 09:33 PM
The fact that you had interest in Gullivar's Travels to begin with is just sad.

Yes, it's much different than comic book movie #472. How absurd of me. :rolleyes:

Watashi
01-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Yes, it's much different than comic book movie #472. How absurd of me. :rolleyes:
Comic Book Movie #472 isn't being directed and written by the guy who did Shark Tale.

Kurosawa Fan
01-30-2009, 09:40 PM
Comic Book Movie #472 isn't being directed and written by the guy who did Shark Tale.

Nope, just the guy who brought us Made and Elf.

Watashi
01-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Nope, just the guy who brought us Made and Elf.
Elf is a great film.

Sycophant
01-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Elf is a great film.

The trailer for Shark Tale was better than the entirety of Elf.

Kurosawa Fan
01-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Elf is a great film.

Speaking of sad...

Watashi
01-30-2009, 09:43 PM
The trailer for Shark Tale was better than the entirety of Elf.
You're really asking for negative rep.

Sycophant
01-30-2009, 09:45 PM
You're really asking for negative rep.

You never answered my question about whether or not you were a big Mega Man fan.

Watashi
01-30-2009, 09:47 PM
You never answered my question about whether or not you were a big Mega Man fan.
I'm a huge Mega Man fan. I didn't play any of the non-NES games though.

Sycophant
01-30-2009, 09:47 PM
I'm a huge Mega Man fan. I didn't play any of the non-NES games though.
Awesome. I don't care much for 7 and 8. 1-6 and 9 are some of the best games ever.

Winston*
01-30-2009, 10:25 PM
Made was pretty good IMO.

You know what was pretty good? The Gulliver's Travels miniseries with Ted Danson. Pretty good, indeed.

number8
01-31-2009, 06:18 PM
What the hell's wrong with Elf?

Ezee E
01-31-2009, 06:39 PM
What the hell's wrong with Elf?
Just the end. The rest is pretty great. But an awful ending.

megladon8
02-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Of Mickey Rourke's being cast as Crimson Dynamo, Robert Downey Jr. says "that casting speculation may have been a bit premature." (http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/02/03/exclusive-robert-downey-jr-says-mickey-rourke-not-playing-crimson-dynamo-in-iron-man-2/)

It never says that he's not in the movie, just that he may not be playing Crimson Dynamo in particular.

Dukefrukem
02-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Just the end. The rest is pretty great. But an awful ending.

It suffers from 'bad comedy endings syndrome'. Like Blades of Glory. Fuckin awful.

Kurosawa Fan
02-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah, the last half hour of Elf is abysmal. But I wouldn't go so far as to say what came before was great. Sometimes funny, sure, but nothing to get excited about.

Ezee E
02-04-2009, 04:04 PM
You've never read Tom Sawyer? That's near blasphemy.

Dukefrukem
02-04-2009, 04:20 PM
"Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?"

Are we gonna split these threads up when we get more info for each movie?

Sycophant
02-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Blades of Glory also had a disastrous and unfunny beginning and middle. So, yeah, a lot like Elf.

megladon8
02-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Elf > Blades of Glory...by so much, it's not even funny.

But I still think Anchorman is the very best of Will Ferrell comedy, followed by Step Brothers.

I'm pretty tired of him, though.

Sycophant
02-04-2009, 05:22 PM
I watched them within about six months of each other and remember that while I found both irritating, obnoxious, and largely unfunny throughout, Blades of Glory was less so.

And I'm not anywhere near tired of Will Ferrell yet. When he's on, he's on. :pritch:

Dukefrukem
02-04-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm pretty tired of him, though.

He does pretty much play the same character in every movie. I still enjoy him.

Kurosawa Fan
02-04-2009, 05:51 PM
You've never read Tom Sawyer? That's near blasphemy.

How about you shut the hell up?

Ezee E
02-04-2009, 09:16 PM
How about you shut the hell up?
Only because you're a mod.

But I'll frown upon it.

EvilShoe
02-14-2009, 08:59 AM
Scarlett Johannson is rumoured to replace Blunt:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=8088

Please no.

Sycophant
02-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Agreed. Hopefully, she can find something better to do with her time.

number8
02-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Keep Scarlett Johannson far away from anything I want to see.

Acapelli
02-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Scarlett Johannson is rumoured to replace Blunt:
http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=8088

Please no.
ew

megladon8
02-14-2009, 06:50 PM
If she does the whole movie nude, I won't complain.

Otherwise, no. Emily Blunt was a much better choice - better actress, and more attractive.

Raiders
02-14-2009, 06:53 PM
Amazing the change in opinion on Johannson in what, the course of about three years? Maybe four?

Maybe it's just a "Match Cut" thing?

:: looks for [ETM] ::

That said, Blunt is preferable.

DavidSeven
02-14-2009, 06:58 PM
She's not bad at the awkward and aimless young girl thing and ...that's it. Her attempts to play "grown up" are kind of embarassing, which is a limitation that has been exposed rather frequently for the last six years.

Acapelli
02-14-2009, 07:35 PM
i like scarlett for the most part, but her anemic personality belongs nowhere near a four-color superhero movie

EyesWideOpen
02-14-2009, 08:19 PM
You people are hilarious.

The Mike
02-14-2009, 08:45 PM

What do you mean "you people"? :evil:

EvilShoe
02-14-2009, 09:31 PM
ETM couldn't make it?

Ezee E
02-14-2009, 10:24 PM
I still like Scarlett a ton, and see no problem with the casting at all.

Scar
02-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Scarlett makes me feel warm and tingly.

Ivan Drago
02-15-2009, 06:02 PM
What do you mean "you people"? :evil:

What do you mean "you people"? Huh?

EyesWideOpen
02-16-2009, 04:25 AM
What do you mean "you people"? Huh?

Black people, obviously.

EvilShoe
02-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Looks like Rourke might not be in the movie after all:

Mickey Rourke has told New York Magazine (http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2009/02/vulture_exclusive_mickey_rourk .html) that it's looking like he won't be playing the villain in Iron Man 2 (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=44655):

But so what if ICM's David Unger doesn't look good in a dress — at least he's battling Marvel for a bigger paycheck for Rourke for his rumored role as a villain in Iron Man 2, right? "Right now, we're not doing Iron Man 2," Rourke told us grimly.

In January, the news broke (http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=7998) that Marvel had offered the award-winning "Wrestler" star just $250,000 to play a villain in the sequel. Perhaps further negotiations didn't go so well? Also, Rourke is now firmly attached to star in Sylvester Stallone's The Expendables (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=50319), which starts shooting shortly and might interfere with the Iron Man 2 (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=44655) shoot.

Stay tuned for possibly more on this...

megladon8
02-25-2009, 11:19 PM
At least Sam Jackson will be returning. (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20178)

transmogrifier
02-25-2009, 11:32 PM
At least Sam Jackson will be returning. (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20178)

I think at this stage in his career, it is more newsworthy to report a film Jackson is not going to be involved in.

Sycophant
02-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Guys, I think Jackson must just love being in movies.

EvilShoe
03-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Good news/bad news situation:

Rourke has been confirmed.
So has Johansson.Feel free to decide for yourselves which is the good and which is the bad news.

EyesWideOpen
03-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I'll go with the person who hasn't only had one good performance in the last 10 years.

EvilShoe
03-12-2009, 01:33 PM
I'll go with the person who hasn't only had one good performance in the last 10 years.
But that's neither.

number8
03-12-2009, 06:02 PM
The Wrestler isn't Rourke's only good performance in the past 10 years.

ScarJo hasn't had even one.

Skitch
03-12-2009, 07:44 PM
The Wrestler isn't Rourke's only good performance in the past 10 years.

ScarJo hasn't had even one.

I enjoyed Rourke in Spun. :|

Closest she's come to a good performance was Match Point...but she might have just been playing herself. :)

She did ROCK in...

...The Spirit though! HAHA!!

Boner M
03-13-2009, 12:54 AM
Even though Scarjo has been fairly awful in most things recently, she has had at least several strong/acclaimed performances over the last decade.

NickGlass
03-13-2009, 01:03 AM
I've said this multiple times, but I stick by it: ScarJo should not act in talkies. She would be a brilliant silent film actress (Girl With a Pearl Earring, Lost in Translation). She has a wonderfully expressive face, but cannot sell a line of scripted dialogue. Reticent naturalism is the way to go, Ms. Johansson.

Spinal
03-13-2009, 04:56 AM
I like Scarlett, but this is probably not the kind of movie that she should be appearing in. There's a reason why people tend to complain about the young female actress in every comic book movie that comes out. Usually it's because those roles are so poorly written that the performer ends up looking like a major doofus.

She will have to console herself with the millions of dollars she will receive.

number8
03-13-2009, 07:06 AM
Plus, Black Widow? Really, Black Widow?

Scarlett Johannson believable as one of the deadliest, most badass Russian spies on the planet. That'll be the fucking day.

Fezzik
03-13-2009, 11:11 AM
Plus, Black Widow? Really, Black Widow?

Scarlett Johannson believable as one of the deadliest, most badass Russian spies on the planet. That'll be the fucking day.

Indeed. I like the other cast choices Favreau has made, but this one makes me scratch my head. It seems he went for the safe choice instead of trying to find someone who could really inhabit the part.

I think Blunt would have been very good in the part...so this gives me another reason to be pissed at 20th Century Fox :D

Ezee E
03-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Nobody's complaining that Mickey Rourke is also Russian. The guy is good, but I can't see him playing with an accent.

Grouchy
03-15-2009, 12:15 AM
Scarlett Johansson is not only a terrible actress, she has the complete wrong looks for the character.

Black Widow needs to be tall, slender and mysterious. Emily Blunt or Shaffron Burrows would be good.

Skitch
03-15-2009, 03:17 PM
...Or Milla Jovovich.

Ivan Drago
03-16-2009, 01:37 AM
Holy Jeebus, 2011 is going to be comic book movie overkill. (http://screenrant.com/marvel-pushes-release-dates-spiderman-4-date-announced-rob-6073/)

EDIT: AND the Wachowski Brothers want to make Plastic Man. (http://chud.com/articles/articles/15582/1/WILL-KEANU-REEVES-BE-STRETCHING-HIMSELF-FOR-THE-WACHOWSKI-BROS/Page1.html)

EyesWideOpen
03-16-2009, 12:48 PM
I don't want to live in a world where people think Milla Jovovich is a better choice for a (any) role then Scarlet Johnanssen.

[ETM]
03-16-2009, 01:51 PM
I don't want to live in a world where people think Milla Jovovich is a better choice for a (any) role then Scarlet Johnanssen.

I'd put Scarlett over Mila for a role only if nudity was involved.

Grouchy
03-16-2009, 10:30 PM
I'd choose Milla over Scarlett for absolutely ANY role. She's, quite simply, a better actress.

And for nudity, too.

Skitch
03-17-2009, 12:20 AM

I was responding to this:

Black Widow needs to be tall, slender and mysterious.

Are we seriously at the place where we have to delve into the acting abilities of established actors in a comic book movie?

number8
03-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Are we seriously at the place where we have to delve into the acting abilities of established actors in a comic book movie?

Wait, why wouldn't you? What, you want Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face, part 2?

Spinal
03-17-2009, 12:36 AM
I don't think there's an enormous gap between the respective acting abilities of Scarlet Johannson and Milla Jovovich, even though one is better suited to roles in films that are more likely to win awards and the other is better suited to roles in goofy action films. I think Milla would be more capable of doing more dramatic roles than Scarlet would in doing cartoonish action roles.

Ezee E
03-17-2009, 12:39 AM
and Milla has done good work. Dummy and The Messenger.

Spinal
03-17-2009, 12:41 AM
and Milla has done good work. Dummy and The Messenger.

That reminds me. I want to see The Messenger.

EvilShoe
03-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Milla has already gone nude. Therefore I'd rather see Scarlett take off her clothes.

This is what message boards were made for.

Ezee E
03-17-2009, 12:45 AM
That reminds me. I want to see The Messenger.
Mostly hated, but I thought it was pretty damn good. I guess its just no Professional or Fifth Element. I'm not sure what critics were expecting.

You have seen Dummy right? It may be my favorite role of hers.

Spinal
03-17-2009, 12:48 AM
You have seen Dummy right? It may be my favorite role of hers.

I don't think I've even heard of that one.

Ezee E
03-17-2009, 12:55 AM
I don't think I've even heard of that one.
Adrian Brody plays a ventriloquist and she's a yiddish folk singer. Nuff said?

An okay movie that probably would be awful if it weren't for her.

Skitch
03-17-2009, 01:00 AM
Wait, why wouldn't you? What, you want Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face, part 2?

:lol:

Touche. Dammit, I thought putting 'established' in there would cover my broad statement.

Skitch
03-17-2009, 01:01 AM
I don't think there's an enormous gap between the respective acting abilities of Scarlet Johannson and Milla Jovovich, even though one is better suited to roles in films that are more likely to win awards and the other is better suited to roles in goofy action films. I think Milla would be more capable of doing more dramatic roles than Scarlet would in doing cartoonish action roles.

I want Milla's acting ability in Scarlet's body.

EvilShoe
03-17-2009, 01:18 AM
I want Milla's acting ability in Scarlet's body.
There's nothing wrong with Milla's body.

Or do you think she should "eat a sandwich lol"?
Or perhaps you feel she's "shaped like a 14 y/o boy lol"?

That is possible.

Skitch
03-17-2009, 01:23 AM
There's nothing wrong with Milla's body.

Or do you think she should "eat a sandwich lol"?
Or perhaps you feel she's "shaped like a 14 y/o boy lol"?

That is possible.

Nothin wrong with her body.

...but yeah, she could use a few McDoubles.

EvilShoe
03-17-2009, 01:26 AM
I am very upset right now.

Skitch
03-17-2009, 01:28 AM
I am very upset right now.

Crap, because of me?

:pritch:

Spinal
03-17-2009, 02:47 AM
I am glad to have both Milla and Scarlet in the world. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

megladon8
03-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Here's my idea for casting the F4 reboot...

Mr. Fantastic - George Clooney
Invisible Woman - Laura Linney
Human Torch - Justin Long, or keep Chris Evans
The Thing - voice of Ray Stevenson

Sycophant
03-17-2009, 11:35 PM
They should all be Tom Hanks. Get Zemeckis to direct.

megladon8
03-17-2009, 11:37 PM
They should all be Tom Hanks. Get Zemeckis to direct.

I'd buy tickets for every MC poster if this happened.

Sycophant
03-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Okay, guys, so now we're discussing the following:

Scarlett Johansson vs. Milla Jovovich vs. Tom Hanks vs. Laura Linney

Please discuss their individual merits, but please pay special attention to their bodacious racks.

18 MINUTES LATER EDIT: Also, please discuss how much makeup they should be wearing, how many sandwiches they should eat (or possibly purge), and in what position you would prefer to fuck them. Then make a little comment about one of their good/bad performances so you don't look completely sexist or superficial.

The Mike
03-17-2009, 11:42 PM
It's hard for me to recast Johnny and Ben, because the two they had really worked.

I'd happily toss in Cillian Murphy as Reed, Naomi Watts as Sue, and Bryan Cranston as Doom.

megladon8
03-17-2009, 11:53 PM
Don't you think Cillian's a little young and fresh-faced for Reed?

He's kind of one of those men who permanently looks 15.

Spinal
03-17-2009, 11:59 PM
Tom Hanks does not get enough credit for his bodacious rack.

number8
03-18-2009, 06:13 AM
Justin Long? You really look at Justin Long and see a hot stud who can bed any woman he wants?

The Mike
03-18-2009, 06:57 AM
Justin Long? You really look at Justin Long and see a hot stud who can bed any woman he wants?

Yeah, I don't think I'm in Justin Long's demographic. :twisted:

The Mike
03-18-2009, 06:58 AM
Don't you think Cillian's a little young and fresh-faced for Reed?

He's kind of one of those men who permanently looks 15.Are you sure you're not talking about Gruffudd? Cuz that's exactly the vibe I got from him in the role.

Ezee E
03-18-2009, 09:12 PM
I'd say one of the young guys from Rescue Me would be a great Human Torch.

megladon8
03-24-2009, 05:00 AM
Billy Crudup would be a great Reed Richards, too.

And that's a great idea for Human Torch, E.

Spinal
03-25-2009, 03:03 AM
Kenneth Branagh is directing Thor? (http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/03/18/exclusive-thor-director-kenneth-branagh-thinking-ahead-to-iron-man-2-other-marvel-movies/)

How the hell did I miss this piece of news?

Ivan Drago
03-25-2009, 03:07 AM
Kenneth Branagh is directing Thor? (http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/03/18/exclusive-thor-director-kenneth-branagh-thinking-ahead-to-iron-man-2-other-marvel-movies/)

How the hell did I miss this piece of news?

And I thought I was living under a rock.

Spinal
03-25-2009, 03:16 AM

How is your rock these days? Mine: kinda drafty.

Spinal
03-25-2009, 03:20 AM
Anyway, Branagh was one of my favorite directors of the 90s, but I realize now that I haven't seen any of his work since Hamlet. Mostly it's because his choice of projects didn't much interest me. But, for some reason, this news excites me. I think he does bombast well. Looking forward to seeing him work on an over-the-top project like Thor.

Raiders
03-25-2009, 03:49 AM

Says the man who didn't know or believe Avatar was even being released. I didn't know about Branagh either. It hasn't been mentioned in this thread. Interesting news. Certainly more intriguing than someone like Favreau.

Ivan Drago
03-25-2009, 05:03 AM
Says the man who didn't know or believe Avatar was even being released.

I'm kidding around whenever I say that. It's had countless delays since, what, 2006?

Acapelli
03-25-2009, 05:11 PM
so this guy's supposed to be in the lead for thor so far

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/5118/normal663394tb107pg0597.jpg (http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=normal663394tb107 pg0597.jpg)

loved him in generation kill and true blood

Sycophant
03-25-2009, 05:16 PM
I think he might already be Thor. Look at him.

Kurosawa Fan
03-25-2009, 06:39 PM
I vote for Taylor Kitsch.

number8
03-25-2009, 06:57 PM
loved him in generation kill and true blood

Combining those two characters would actually be a pretty good basis for Thor.

Mara
05-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Just for the record, if Alexander Skarsgård isn't Thor, I'm not going to see it.

Watashi
05-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Chris Hemsworth is Thor. (http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/16/chris-hemsworth-is-thor/)

He played George Kirk in Star Trek.

EvilShoe
05-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Chris Hemsworth is Thor. (http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/16/chris-hemsworth-is-thor/)

He wasn't very good in that, I thought.

But maybe it's just me.

The Mike
05-16-2009, 09:57 PM
I was hoping for a Vincent D'Onofrio revival. Still, this might work.

number8
05-16-2009, 10:17 PM
It really should have been (of course) Alexander Skarsgård.

Ivan Drago
05-17-2009, 12:47 AM

At least it's not Triple H.

The Mike
05-17-2009, 01:20 AM
I'm disappointed now that I know Kevin McKidd was in the running. Woulda worked so well.

Although, if someone could invent a way to Americanize him, he'd make a solid Captain, too.

Mara
05-18-2009, 12:30 PM

This.

Morris Schæffer
05-18-2009, 03:30 PM
He wasn't very good in that, I thought.

But maybe it's just me.

It was one of the best moments of the movie, in spite of the kid from Aussie soap Home and Away!

That was really weird when I realized that Kirk's father was a regular on Home and Away. :)

amberlita
05-18-2009, 05:41 PM

Yes. In fact I'm fighting the urge to hope it's bad just so I can justify that they didn't cast him.

(Of course) Skarsgård is actually a pretty great actor and he's managed to make some headway in the States just by being strategically cast in GK and Trueblood. He's mentioned in interviews that he worries about getting typecast and thus tries to choose unconventional roles. Maybe he was offerred the role and turned it down.

Atleast, that's what I'm going to tell myself.

EvilShoe
05-18-2009, 07:10 PM
I believe Skarsgård actually is the real Thor, and doesn't want to blow his cover by doing this movie.

number8
05-18-2009, 07:13 PM
I believe Skarsgård actually is the real Thor, and doesn't want to blow his cover by doing this movie.

Mayhap.

Mara
05-18-2009, 07:21 PM
I believe (of course) Skarsgård actually is the real Thor, and doesn't want to blow his cover by doing this movie.

I'm... oddly comforted.

megladon8
05-19-2009, 12:24 AM
Tom Hiddleston is Loki. (http://movies.ign.com/articles/984/984275p1.html)

Dukefrukem
06-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Hulk confirmed in new Avengers movie. (http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/LetsCutTheBS/news/?a=7850)

edit: then the info was pulled

bac0n
06-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Tom Hiddleston is Loki. (http://movies.ign.com/articles/984/984275p1.html)

Glad they went with this guy instead of Josh Hartnett. He would have made a horrible Loki.

EyesWideOpen
06-29-2009, 01:56 AM
I just saw on Sci Fi that they decided with Zachery Ty Bryan for Thor. Their is a name I hadn't heard in a while.

Raiders
06-29-2009, 02:04 AM
I just saw on Sci Fi that they decided with Zachery Ty Bryan for Thor. Their is a name I hadn't heard in a while.

I'm watching this right now. While calling it "lame" would be only obvious for a Sci-Fi original movie, it is sadly also not very entertaining which I find their movies often are. Very drab and dull.

megladon8
06-29-2009, 02:06 AM
I'm confused.

Wasn't Thor already cast?

Is this a different project?

number8
06-29-2009, 02:22 AM
I'm confused.

Wasn't Thor already cast?

Is this a different project?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1260572/

Dukefrukem
06-29-2009, 11:19 AM
That's an awful casting job.

Mara
07-13-2009, 08:58 PM
They're saying Natalie Portman in Thor. That would have spiked my interest if the film wasn't already dead to me.

(Natalie and Alexander. It would have been beautiful.)

Grouchy
07-14-2009, 06:07 AM
Ugh. Keep that dumb bitch away from these movies.

Winston*
07-14-2009, 06:12 AM
Ugh. Keep that dumb bitch away from these movies.

Didn't she go to Harvard?

Spinal
07-14-2009, 06:05 PM
Love the addition of Portman.

Dukefrukem
07-14-2009, 06:24 PM

she did.

How appropriate (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8e6-IeQ0aw).

Mara
07-14-2009, 07:28 PM

Yeah, like her or don't like her, I don't think you can deny she's a smart cookie.

I like her.

Wryan
07-14-2009, 07:51 PM
Thor could be good. Didn't they announce Odin? I remember it was someone obvious but good, like Rip or something.

number8
07-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Stan Lee.