PDA

View Full Version : The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Acapelli
07-14-2009, 08:06 PM
i wonder how they're going get around not having donald blake in the movie

Winston*
07-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Brian Blessed as Odin? Sweet.

Wryan
07-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Brian Blessed as Odin? Sweet.

That's who it was. Thanks. Good stuff. He's already mostly there.

amberlita
07-15-2009, 12:15 AM
(Natalie and Alexander. It would have been beautiful.)

Read the news in USA Today this morning and this was my first thought, I love both of them. My second thought was "hrmm, maybe not. that's a serious height differential."

Still, how depressing, what might have been.

number8
07-15-2009, 04:51 AM
i wonder how they're going get around not having donald blake in the movie

I don't know why everyone's freaking out about this. Seems pretty easy to me. Start with an epic fantasy setting, Thor gets kicked to Earth, Jane Foster nurses him back to health, meanwhile he learns the mortal world, have it be all comical how out of touch he is, then boom, he saves New York from Loki's attack.

Sycophant
07-15-2009, 05:07 AM
have it be all comical how out of touch he is
OH MY GOD, yes. I haven't seen enough scenes like this lately.

Have it be opposite Leslie Mann?

Acapelli
07-15-2009, 06:20 AM
I don't know why everyone's freaking out about this. Seems pretty easy to me. Start with an epic fantasy setting, Thor gets kicked to Earth, Jane Foster nurses him back to health, meanwhile he learns the mortal world, have it be all comical how out of touch he is, then boom, he saves New York from Loki's attack.
eh i'm not freaking out, but it's a cool concept that i would have liked to see in the big screen adaptation

BuffaloWilder
07-15-2009, 06:44 AM
But there's so much you could do with the whole Donald Blake thing. Errrgh.

number8
07-15-2009, 06:47 AM
I'd much rather have the whole movie set in Asgard. No Blake, no Jane Foster, no New York at all.

Fezzik
07-15-2009, 01:19 PM
I'd much rather have the whole movie set in Asgard. No Blake, no Jane Foster, no New York at all.

See, this is where I'm confused. All reports so far have pointed to the fact that the film takes place in Asgard...no modern world ties at all.

Which makes me think they redid the script or that a lot of people have their facts wrong...or that Portman will only be at the end of Thor and will feature heavily in the Avengers.

Mara
07-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Perhaps this is time to mention that I've never read one of these comic books in my life, but that I took a class in college on Nordic mythology. So, my head-visions are probably all wrong.

Wryan
07-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Shoulda gotten head viking from The 13th Warrior. Fucker had presence.

http://www.dugnet.com/liska/movies/13warrior/buliwyf.jpg

Also, The 13th Warrior is so undervalued. It's delightful shlock.

number8
07-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Perhaps this is time to mention that I've never read one of these comic books in my life, but that I took a class in college on Nordic mythology. So, my head-visions are probably all wrong.

omg ur a girl lol STFU!!!

Morris Schæffer
07-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Composer John Debneywill do Iron Man 2.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41712

I thought his Cutthroat Islandtheme was rather fantastic. No wonder it featured in several trailers.

trotchky
07-21-2009, 05:06 AM
I think some of these movies will be pretty good and some of them will be pretty bad.

Skitch
08-04-2009, 11:55 AM
http://www.starkindustriesnow.com/

megladon8
09-24-2009, 01:21 AM
Two more cast in Thor. (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3ie2038d49cf28a7300e7c9ae94ef 8a6c3)

Jaimie Alexander is playing Sif.

Colm Feore will be playing an as-yet-unnamed villain.

The Mike
09-24-2009, 02:07 AM
Colm Feore will be playing an as-yet-unnamed villain.:|

Visions of Riddick now dance in my head.

:|

megladon8
09-24-2009, 02:09 AM

Visions of Riddick now dance in my head.

Actually, the Necromongers from The Chronicles of Riddick would be a pretty cool enemy in a Thor movie.

bac0n
09-24-2009, 02:28 AM
They should go for the gusto and have The Celestials (http://marvel.com/universe/Celestials) be the villains.

Either that or say fuck it and have him go up against Sinestro.

Sycophant
09-25-2009, 12:25 AM
Colm Feore is a badass.

Saya
10-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Jude Law and Robert DeNiro in Thor?

Are Jude Law and Robert DeNiro aboard THOR? Seems like they are, but as who?

Hey folks, Harry here with the latest bit of Superhero Film Casting News and it is very strange indeed. According to actor, Matthias Schweighöfer, who you may have seen in VALKYRIE or RED BARON - in an article in the German edition of Gentlemen's Quarterly aka GQ, he states that he's in the running for a role in Branagh's THOR, but he also mentions that Jude Law and Robert DeNiro have joined the cast.

Now, I don't doubt that they have, they're very much the sort of Actor I would expect from a Kenneth Branagh helmed THOR film, I'm just absolutely flummoxed to think who they are playing. I have to give thanks to our German reader, "I SAY THEE FUCKING KA-JAY!" for giving me the heads up on the article. And for that matter, who would Matthias Schweighöfer play? Interesting times as these Superhero films rush to begin shooting soon!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42746

Grouchy
10-18-2009, 06:21 PM
If Odin and Loki hadn't been cast already, I'd say those are the roles they are playing.

megladon8
11-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Thor's Warriors Three have been cast...

Stuart Townsend, Tadanobu Asano and Ray Stevenson (http://www.cinematical.com/2009/11/17/thor-finds-his-warriors-three/) will play Fandral, Hogun and Volstagg, respectively.

number8
11-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Stevenson as Volstagg? Hope he's not wearing a fatsuit.

dreamdead
11-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Asano! Anticipation has risen from nil to meh!

megladon8
11-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Yeah, Asano is awesome.

I'm really not familiar with Thor's universe or characters so I can't comment on the quality of the casting, aside from saying that I like Asano and Stevenson.

Morris Schæffer
11-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Heimdall has been cast as well:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=26333

And it's Stringer Bell! :cool::cool:

number8
11-21-2009, 04:34 AM
Heh. Heh heh heh.

I'll explain:

Heimdall (Old Norse Heimdallr, the prefix Heim- means home, the affix -dallr is of uncertain origin) is one of the Æsir (gods) in Norse mythology, called the "whitest of the gods" (ON Hv*tastr-Ása).

Morris Schæffer
11-21-2009, 12:36 PM
He he indeed :)

megladon8
12-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Looks like Jeremy Renner is Hawkeye. (http://movies.ign.com/articles/105/1050656p1.html)

Acapelli
12-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Looks like Jeremy Renner is Hawkeye. (http://movies.ign.com/articles/105/1050656p1.html)
i like this. sounds like they're going for an ultimate hawkeye look for the avengers movie

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6290/440pxulthawkeye.jpg (http://img99.imageshack.us/i/440pxulthawkeye.jpg/)

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5540/ultimatehawkeyedive.jpg (http://img99.imageshack.us/i/ultimatehawkeyedive.jpg/)

one thing i found curious about that article. i thought favreau was directing the avengers movie?

number8
12-02-2009, 01:11 AM
I hate that new costume.

No, I imagine if they do that, it'd be more like Bryan Hitch's original design, not that shitstain Loeb and Madureira came up with.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/UltimateHawkeye.jpg

Acapelli
12-02-2009, 02:08 AM
i kinda like it. it at least looks better when pacheco draws it

bac0n
12-07-2009, 10:36 PM
I hate that new costume.

No, I imagine if they do that, it'd be more like Bryan Hitch's original design, not that shitstain Loeb and Madureira came up with.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/UltimateHawkeye.jpg

Ya know who they should have play Hawkeye? Ted Nugent. At least he'll know enough to put the arrow on the correct side of the bow.

number8
01-18-2010, 04:09 PM
So in that interview in the Jurassic Park IV thread, Johnston said that Cap is mostly period, with present day bookends ala Saving Private Ryan.

Well, that's predictable, isn't it?

Open with Cap being found in a block of ice. As they thaw him out, the doctors/scientists talk about how in awe they are, as we dissolve to...

Steve Rogers, skinny weakling artist from New York. He doesn't fit in. We go through his origin story, he becomes the Sentinel of Liberty, gets sent to Europe, fighting Red Skull or Baron Zemo in WWII, yada yada. He finally understands his role as a hero and a symbol, he makes some inspirational speech, he goes on his final battle, he defeats the villains, but trapped in their device, boom, sent to the bottom of the ocean to be frozen (or maybe they'll try to inject "realism" and have him trapped in a cryogenic chamber and shit). It will be melancholic.

Back to present day. Cap is thawed out. He wakes up in a hospital bed, looks around, a shadowy figure approaches. Cap's eyes adjust, holy shit, it's Samuel L. Jackson. "Honor to meet you, Captain."

Credits.

Malickfan
01-18-2010, 05:37 PM
So in that interview in the Jurassic Park IV thread, Johnston said that Cap is mostly period, with present day bookends ala Saving Private Ryan.

Well, that's predictable, isn't it?

Open with Cap being found in a block of ice. As they thaw him out, the doctors/scientists talk about how in awe they are, as we dissolve to...

Steve Rogers, skinny weakling artist from New York. He doesn't fit in. We go through his origin story, he becomes the Sentinel of Liberty, gets sent to Europe, fighting Red Skull or Baron Zemo in WWII, yada yada. He finally understands his role as a hero and a symbol, he makes some inspirational speech, he goes on his final battle, he defeats the villains, but trapped in their device, boom, sent to the bottom of the ocean to be frozen (or maybe they'll try to inject "realism" and have him trapped in a cryogenic chamber and shit). It will be melancholic.

Back to present day. Cap is thawed out. He wakes up in a hospital bed, looks around, a shadowy figure approaches. Cap's eyes adjust, holy shit, it's Samuel L. Jackson. "Honor to meet you, Captain."

Credits.

Sounds good.

Ezee E
02-09-2010, 03:31 PM
Sounds good.
Red Skull was confirmed as the villain.

Lazlo
02-25-2010, 01:44 AM
Captain America casting shortlist:

Who Will Be Captain America? John Krasinski and Six Other Actors Shortlisted

Posted on Wednesday, February 24th, 2010 by Russ Fischer

Captain America

I like John Krasinski, but I just don’t see the guy as Steve Rogers, aka Captain America. And yet he’s one of the actors reportedly being eyed by Marvel to take the lead role in Joe Johnston’s film. Who else is the studio looking at? The list is after the break.

In addition to John Krasinski, Scott Porter (Speed Racer, Friday Night Lights, Caprica), Mike Vogel (She’s Out of My League, Cloverfield) Michael Cassidy (Smallville) and Patrick Flueger (Brothers, The 4400) are the core crowd right now. Also possible are Chace Crawford (Gossip Girl) and Garret Hedlund (Tron Legacy), but the former hasn’t made a deal to screen test and THR reports the latter is off the list as his people can’t come together on a deal with Marvel.

There are some interesting aspects to the test process. Marvel wants each actor on a 30-day hold during the testing, says THR. (The Ryan Reynolds scenario where he took a role as Green Lantern just as Fox was preparing to commit on an approach to Deadpool won’t be repeated. Fox later moved forward with Reynolds and Deadpool regardless.)

DHD also says that the offer for this role will be low — around $300k for this first film. Bundled into the contract will be the requirement to sign for a nine-film option that will include additional Captain America and Avengers films, and other possible sequels and spin-offs. Shades of Samuel L. Jackson’s reported Marvel deal there. Note that those options don’t mean that the films will be made; it’s part of the contract process for these films, though nine options is extensive.

Marvel took a similar approach to casting Thor, and ultimately went with someone that wasn’t on a similar shortlist. So the fact that these actors are testing doesn’t necessarily mean anything. Much as Chris Hemsworth did for Thor someone else could end up with the role. I hope that’s the case — none of these names is particularly inspiring. And Krasinksi? That’s just weird. If that’s what Marvel is thinking here, I have to change my thinking about what they’re trying to achieve.

Read more: Who Will Be Captain America? John Krasinski and Six Other Actors Shortlisted | /Film http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/02/24/who-will-be-captain-america-john-krasinski-and-six-other-actors-shortlisted/#ixzz0gVnLhdlZ

I think I'd go for Porter, Vogel, and Krasinski in that order.

megladon8
02-25-2010, 01:46 AM
Even though I don't like Krasinski very much, he'd be my pick from those, because he's the least fresh-faced.

But that's just me being a picky nerd. I want whoever plays the character best.

Ezee E
02-25-2010, 02:42 AM
I'll predict it goes to Garrett Hedlund.

megladon8
02-25-2010, 02:54 AM
I'll predict it goes to Garrett Hedlund.

I wouldn't be surprised. They could end up trying to pull another Sam Worthington, where a relatively unknown actor suddenly gets thrust upon the public in a whole bunch of huge A-list roles.

I still find Worthington's sudden rise to fame really puzzling.

Ivan Drago
02-25-2010, 03:07 AM
I still find Worthington's sudden rise to fame really puzzling.

It's the buzzcut.

hey it's ethan
02-25-2010, 03:11 AM
Are you sure that Chace Crawford isn't just being considered for Steve Rogers pre-Captain America?

Sxottlan
03-08-2010, 05:22 AM
Just saw the new Iron Man 2 trailer on ABC. Looks pretty good.

Love the portable Iron Man outfit in a suitcase.

EDIT: Can we edit out Iron Man 2 out of the title of this thread since there is another devoted to that?

number8
03-12-2010, 04:22 AM
Hugo Weaving is Red Skull.

I don't know how I feel about this.

megladon8
03-12-2010, 05:11 AM

Better than Julian McMahon as Dr. Doom.

Ivan Drago
03-12-2010, 06:09 AM

I like it.

Grouchy
03-12-2010, 06:17 AM

Feels good.

Skitch
03-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Wow, I'm surprised how much I like that. His skull is a good shape.

Acapelli
03-12-2010, 03:40 PM
i like it too

apparently, the fanboys want christoph waltz, but hans landa is nothing like the red skull, and the only reasoning seems to be is that he played a ridiculous nazi in one movie so he could obviously so it again

number8
03-12-2010, 04:13 PM
apparently, the fanboys want christoph waltz, but hans landa is nothing like the red skull, and the only reasoning seems to be is that he played a ridiculous nazi in one movie so he could obviously so it again

Wow, that's a stupid choice.

Dukefrukem
03-12-2010, 05:22 PM

Perfect!!!!!!

Winston*
03-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Curveball! Captain America is not to be played by any of those on the aforementioned shortlist! He is to be played by the Human Torch himself Chris Evans, surely tearing open the very fabric of the screen Marvel universe.

megladon8
03-23-2010, 12:41 AM
That's fantastic news. I really like Chris Evans.

number8
03-23-2010, 12:52 AM
Curveball! Captain America is not to be played by any of those on the aforementioned shortlist! He is to be played by the Human Torch himself Chris Evans, surely tearing open the very fabric of the screen Marvel universe.

Since they're rebooting Fantastic Four anyway, the tear is now sealed.

Raiders
03-23-2010, 01:37 AM
Evans is quality, but Joe Johnston is not.

Ezee E
03-23-2010, 03:39 AM
I've heard a good amount of raves on Evans. Have I missed something?

Winston*
03-23-2010, 04:39 AM

I think Sunshine's the only movie he's done to this point which is a something.

Henry Gale
03-23-2010, 05:33 AM

Yeah I gotta say, looking over his filmography today, I realized he's been in way less solid stuff than I imagined. Cellular is a really enjoyable but fluffy movie that he happens to be at the center of, he was arguably the only thing to like in either Fantastic Four movie, and from what I recall, he was funny in Not Another Teen Movie.

Otherwise, I think he just comes across as charismatic enough to seem like a good fit for a role like this.

Grouchy
03-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Hmm don't like it. Too young-looking.

Skitch
03-23-2010, 11:43 AM
I love the choice, but it all depends on the material. See what he does with good material (Sunshine) and what he does with bad material (FF). Even with the lousy FF movies, he's still works it well.

Morris Schæffer
03-23-2010, 11:49 AM

It seems to be focussed on his perf in Sunshine, but I don't get it either. He was solid however, like he's been in any other flick.

Dukefrukem
03-23-2010, 01:19 PM

I liked him in Cellular a lot.

number8
03-23-2010, 01:36 PM
He outdone himself in Sunshine, but Evans has always delivered solid performances in a lot of bad movies. I mean, he was pretty much the only good performance in Fantastic Four.

number8
03-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Personally, I was hoping for Channing Tatum.

Skitch
03-23-2010, 01:49 PM
He outdone himself in Sunshine, but Evans has always delivered solid performances in a lot of bad movies. I mean, he was pretty much the only good performance in Fantastic Four.

Agreed 100%.

While I prefer Evans, I would have been fine with Tatem as well.

bac0n
03-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Me too. He's been a high-point of every movie I've seen him in (FF and Sunshine), tho I assume his casting means that the FF movies are not a part of the continuity marvel is trying to build on the silver screen (not that I give a shit either way). Which may not be an issue if the rumors I hear of an upcoming FF reboot are to be believed.

Morris Schæffer
03-25-2010, 11:58 AM
Final Iron Man 2 poster:

http://www.empireonline.com/images/image_index/hw800/40576.jpg

Astoundingly bland!

number8
03-25-2010, 11:59 AM
I hope that's fanmade.

Skitch
03-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Ugh.

bac0n
03-25-2010, 06:12 PM
With a poster like that, the only appropriate movie title would be Ironmehn.

ZING!

Acapelli
03-25-2010, 06:47 PM
I hope that's fanmade.
that's the european poster i believe

Grouchy
03-25-2010, 07:15 PM
I hope that's fanmade.
I doubt it because I don't think I've ever seen those exact pictures of the characters before.

number8
03-26-2010, 12:22 AM
I'm compelled to post my last few twitter entries here, in chronological order:

8:01 PM - I've been thinking... Don't bother making a new DAREDEVIL movie unless you make it a courtroom drama/thriller. Like DAMAGES, with costumes.

8:05 PM - Maybe Matt Murdock takes on a probono class action against Roxxon or whatever, the CEO hires Bullseye & Typhoid Mary to off him and Foggy.

8:08 PM - So instead of some jacked-up CGI fight scene, this superhero movie can end AND JUSTICE FOR ALL-style. Breaks away from the boring formula.

8:12 PM - Also, it would be totally hilarious if one of the key witnesses is Wilson Fisk. Just imagine him at the cross-examination.

8:13 PM - 'Cause y'know what? Daredevil's power is cool as a lie detector that helps question witnesses, not so much as a Jennifer Garner face radar.

8:19 PM - This is what happens when I take a very long dump whilst reading Daredevil...

Ezee E
03-26-2010, 11:59 PM
Twitter while on the shitter?

number8
03-27-2010, 12:06 AM
I've become one of those.

Spun Lepton
03-27-2010, 01:15 AM
That poster is about as bland as the original poster.

[ETM]
03-27-2010, 01:33 AM
Twitter while on the shitter?

All the iPhones are running the civilization into the ground.

bac0n
03-27-2010, 06:40 AM
I've become one of those.

A Shwitter, eh?

The Mike
03-30-2010, 01:55 AM
Poor Sam Rockwell.

megladon8
04-13-2010, 11:54 PM
Looking very likely that Joss Whedon will be directing The Avengers.

transmogrifier
04-14-2010, 07:39 AM
That poster is about as bland as the original poster.

What did #8 ever do to you?

EyesWideOpen
04-14-2010, 08:13 AM

I'm fine with that. His Astonishing X-Men is the best X book I've ever read so he can do good team stuff. Not a fan of Firefly, hated Dollhouse and haven't watched more then an episode or two of Buffy but I think he's a far better choice then I expected them to make.

number8
04-14-2010, 12:06 PM
The Avengers will be cancelled about 43 minutes in.

Mara
04-14-2010, 03:39 PM

Directing, schmirecting.

Are they going to let him write it? I have much more confidence with his writing & creating skills than his directing skills.

Oh, he's really good at casting people, too.

Really, really good.

number8
04-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Oh, he's really good at casting people, too.

Really, really good.

Other directors already cast the Avengers for him, remember?

Mara
04-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Other directors already cast the Avengers for him, remember?

Well, poop.

number8
04-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Actually, I don't know how accurate it is to say other directors. It's actually interesting to think about how when they cast Captain America, Thor, etc, they had to think about how those actors fit into the Avengers movie or in cameos in each other's movies.

Grouchy
04-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Actually, I don't know how accurate it is to say other directors. It's actually interesting to think about how when they cast Captain America, Thor, etc, they had to think about how those actors fit into the Avengers movie or in cameos in each other's movies.
True that. Maybe that's why they cast Chris Evans as Captain America, because he couldn't be much older than whoever they already cast as Thor...

Robert Downey Jr. being an adult is probably a mistake that slipped through the cracks.

Watashi
04-14-2010, 06:29 PM
Chris Evans will be 30 by the time Captain America comes out. That's about right.

Tony Stark and Bruce Banner should be much older than him anyway.

Grouchy
04-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Tony Stark and Bruce Banner should be much older than him anyway.
Point taken.

number8
04-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Chris Evans is exactly the right age. Steve Rogers was 19 when he took the Super Soldier serum, and he was 28 when he was frozen in the block of ice. Evans looks about in between those ages.

Grouchy
04-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Chris Evans is exactly the right age. Steve Rogers was 19 when he took the Super Soldier serum, and he was 28 when he was frozen in the block of ice. Evans looks about in between those ages.
You know what, you're right, and I knew that while I was writing my post, but... Evans? I have nothing against him, but he's perfect for the Human Torch for a reason. I don't know how much maturity and presence the guy can convey as this big strategic and military leader.

[ETM]
04-14-2010, 07:45 PM
Are they going to let him write it? I have much more confidence with his writing & creating skills than his directing skills.

I thought Serenity was directed about as well as anyone could. The first nine minutes are some of the best ever put together in a sci-fi movie, IMO. The way he reintroduced pretty much everything before the main title is just brilliant.

Morris Schæffer
04-30-2010, 08:35 PM
I give you:

THOR!!!!!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/thorreveal.jpg

number8
04-30-2010, 08:37 PM
Looks kinda stage-y. Branagh's doing, I suppose. Not necessarily a bad thing.

megladon8
04-30-2010, 11:15 PM
Looks kinda stage-y. Branagh's doing, I suppose. Not necessarily a bad thing.

I don't see what you mean.

Please 'splain.

Grouchy
05-01-2010, 01:02 AM
Eh, he's a Norse God / superhero with the power of thunder. I think going all stagey and Shakespeare on this is a pretty good idea. I still see your point, though.

http://www.amazingcomics.it/thor5web.jpg

Morris Schæffer
05-02-2010, 08:58 AM
It's really quite extraordinary that we've come to the point where Kenneth Branagh is directing a comic book adaptation. I suspect that Mr. Branagh is going to treat the material with the utmost reverence and that we get a kind of movie that is closer to The Dark Knight than to Fantastic Four. Yeah, I really feel that Thor could be one of the best superhero movies ever made.

megladon8
05-02-2010, 10:00 PM
I was just talking to SpaceOddity. She saw Iron Man 2 this afternoon and said it was "OK - the first one was much better"

Then again, she goes to see these films simply due to her obsessive love (see: lust) for Robert Downey Jr., so who knows? :)

number8
05-03-2010, 01:19 PM
What I really want to see is Kenneth Anger directing a superhero film.

Skitch
05-04-2010, 12:25 AM
I'd like to see Michael Bay directed a comic book movie with a character I don't give a shit about. Spider-woman?

Imagine the dialogue. :lol:

EyesWideOpen
05-04-2010, 01:20 AM
I'd like to see Michael Bay directed a comic book movie with a character I don't give a shit about. Spider-woman?

Imagine the dialogue. :lol:

I care about Spider-Woman far more then I do Spider-Man so please no. Let's go with Deadpool that's a character that's right up Bay's alley.

Skitch
05-04-2010, 01:31 AM
I care about Spider-Woman far more then I do Spider-Man so please no. Let's go with Deadpool that's a character that's right up Bay's alley.

Remember MAXX? That would be an interesting film. Not for Bay, please, just sayin'. Maybe a good one for Del Toro.

I like those ...who was it, Darker Image? I liked some of their stuff immensely.

Grouchy
05-04-2010, 03:10 AM
Remember MAXX? That would be an interesting film. Not for Bay, please, just sayin'. Maybe a good one for Del Toro.

I like those ...who was it, Darker Image? I liked some of their stuff immensely.
Cool animated series, too.

Spun Lepton
05-04-2010, 04:00 AM

Starring Megan Fox.

EyesWideOpen
05-04-2010, 04:09 AM
Starring Megan Fox.

Oh hell no!

Lasse
05-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Starring Megan Fox.

Everything should star Megan Fox - and I'm only half kidding.

Spun Lepton
05-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Everything should star Megan Fox - and I'm only half kidding.

Only the naked half. Not the half that can't act.

megladon8
05-11-2010, 12:38 AM
I was listening to an audio interview of Kenneth Branagh talking about directing Thor, and I was very surprised to hear how genuinely, truly interested and respectful he is of superhero comics.

He really knows his stuff.

He never seemed like the type to me. As Jen said in a conversation once, she said he always seemed like "mister serious Shakespearean theatre man".

But no, he said some of his favorite reading experiences ever have been Shakespeare (obviously), classic English literature, and the silver-age comics of Stan Lee and Jack Kirby.

He sounds absolutely thrilled to be working on this project.

Very cool, I thought :)

Morris Schæffer
05-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Good news Meg. I really have a feeling this will be the best superhero movie after The Dark Knight. I dunno why, respected helmers have tackled such flicks before, but Branagh sounds utterly fantastic.

And that first pic of Hemsworth's Thor really might be quite telling of the direction this is going to take.

Ezee E
05-14-2010, 05:54 AM
When asked why she took the role, Portman replied "I just thought it sounded like a weird idea because Kenneth Branagh's directing it, so I was just like, 'Kenneth Branagh doing 'Thor' is super-weird, I've gotta do it.'

Grouchy
05-14-2010, 05:12 PM
When asked why she took the role, Portman replied "I just thought it sounded like a weird idea because Kenneth Branagh's directing it, so I was just like, 'Kenneth Branagh doing 'Thor' is super-weird, I've gotta do it.'
What an idiot.

Raiders
05-14-2010, 05:32 PM
What an idiot.

I'm willing to find a way to put Roger Ebert and Natalie Portman in the same car and blow it up if it will cause you to stop this.

Grouchy
05-14-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm willing to find a way to put Roger Ebert and Natalie Portman in the same car and blow it up if it will cause you to stop this.
Please proceed.

Wryan
05-14-2010, 08:25 PM
I don't see what you mean.

Please 'splain.

I suspect he just meant it looks a little too Hamlet Introspection, tho it's just a production still so we don't truly know now. But I'm looking forward to this like hell. Tho Hemsworth hasn't proved much to me.

Derek
05-14-2010, 09:25 PM
What an idiot.

Yeah, stupid Harvard grads. Go to Yale and get a real education, moron.

Watashi
05-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Ah, Grouchy. The one and only poster who has ever been on my ignore list.

Preach it, brotha.

Grouchy
05-17-2010, 04:02 PM
Ah, Grouchy. The one and only poster who has ever been on my ignore list.

Preach it, brotha.
Hahah here or in RT?

megladon8
05-28-2010, 12:19 AM
Looks like Tommy Lee Jones has a role in Captain America (http://www.collider.com/2010/05/26/hayley-atwell-confirms-tommy-lee-jones-captain-america-the-first-avenger/).

megladon8
05-29-2010, 12:35 AM
IyPh8aIdR-4

megladon8
06-02-2010, 01:56 AM
Some (possible) news regarding the Captain America costume can be found here. (http://www.spinoffonline.com/2010/06/01/close-your-eyes-and-imagine-the-captain-america-costume/)

This is apparently pretty close to what the design is looking like, at least for the WWII Cap stuff:

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/6706/capfanart2.jpg

number8
06-02-2010, 02:05 AM
So it's the Ultimates costume.

megladon8
06-03-2010, 12:20 AM
Here's another look at the costume.

And yeah, pretty much the costume from The Ultimates. I'm certainly not complaining - I think it looks great. Mixes the colourful bombast of the comic books with a real, functional edge that will work on film.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6135/capam11.jpg

For comparisons sake (and for those of us MC'ers who aren't privy to comic book trivia) here is the costume from The Ultimates...

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2472/ultimatecaptainamericab.jpg

Russ
06-03-2010, 12:22 AM
That last Cap A illustration almost looks like Bisley. Is it?

megladon8
06-03-2010, 12:25 AM

Not sure, sorry.

megladon8
06-03-2010, 01:25 AM
Here's another shot, giving a better look at how the helmet is fitted.

http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/690/capam3main.jpg

Spun Lepton
06-03-2010, 01:29 AM
Still skeptical that a Captain America movie will be a success.

megladon8
06-03-2010, 01:34 AM
Still skeptical that a Captain America movie will be a success.

I think everyone and their grandmother was saying this about Iron Man back in 2007.

The main thing that worries me is Joe Johnston. I really don't know that he has what it takes to give Cap the greatness on screen that he deserves.

This is one of those cases where I almost wish they would just take the Brubaker material and use it as a direct storyboard for filming.

Watashi
06-03-2010, 02:04 AM
Joe Johnston has already made a good superhero movie with WWII nostalgic undertones.

http://wesleyfenlon.files.wordpress.c om/2008/10/rocketeer.jpg

He'll do fine.

Winston*
06-03-2010, 02:06 AM
I think everyone and their grandmother was saying this about Iron Man back in 2007.
People don't resent iron, aside from ancient bronze-smiths that were stuck in their ways.

megladon8
06-03-2010, 02:14 AM
Making a good movie 2 decades ago doesn't mean he'll make a good one now.

The last thing half decent he's done was October Sky, and even that wasn't a showcase for stellar direction.

Grouchy
06-03-2010, 07:05 AM
I like it. It has to look like something that might make some military sense.

number8
06-03-2010, 02:19 PM

It's Joe Madureira.

Man, I wanted the wings. This kinda bums me out.

Morris Schæffer
06-03-2010, 10:22 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2010/06/thorconceptartchrishemsworth01 .jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.comicsalliance.com/media/2010/06/thorconceptartchrishemsworth02 .jpg

Ezee E
06-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Not impressive.

number8
06-04-2010, 12:42 AM
It's the Santa Monica God of Thunder!

"Yield, villain, or thy shalt see the glory of Thor's downward dog dexterity!"

megladon8
06-04-2010, 12:51 AM
What's wrong with it?

He looks like Thor.

I'd say mission accomplished.

Spun Lepton
06-04-2010, 01:07 AM
I am skeptical that a Thor movie will be a success. VERY skeptical.

BuffaloWilder
06-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Too military.

Spun Lepton
06-04-2010, 01:08 AM
What's wrong with it?

He looks like Thor.

I'd say mission accomplished.

Thor will not be embraced by the public like Batman or Superman were. Thor will be mocked and ridiculed. Mark my words and quote me when it bombs.

megladon8
06-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Thor will not be embraced by the public like Batman or Superman were. Thor will be mocked and ridiculed. Mark my words and quote me when it bombs.

I don't think it'll do overly well, but I think "mocked and ridiculed" is a little much.

Spun Lepton
06-04-2010, 02:32 AM
I don't think it'll do overly well, but I think "mocked and ridiculed" is a little much.

This will be Catwoman all over again.

megladon8
06-04-2010, 02:33 AM
This will be Catwoman all over again.

No way in hell, man.

Catwoman had no one involved as talented and passionate as Kenneth Branagh.

I actually think Thor has the potential of being one of the better Marvel superhero movies. And I'm not even a fan of the character.

Ezee E
06-04-2010, 02:50 AM
Yeah, to call it a Catwoman is just overexaggerating. I just don't care for the casting and always thought the chance of pulling off a Thor movie would be like attempting to pull off a Shazam movie seriously.

http://www.clevver.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/shazam.jpg

Spun Lepton
06-04-2010, 02:51 AM
Catwoman.

Ezee E
06-04-2010, 02:53 AM
Catwoman.
http://fandangogroovers.files.wordpre ss.com/2009/09/halle-berry.jpg

Okay.

Spun Lepton
06-04-2010, 02:59 AM
http://fandangogroovers.files.wordpre ss.com/2009/09/halle-berry.jpg

Okay.

Mee-yow.

Grouchy
06-06-2010, 09:57 PM
I'm not gonna defend the way Thor looks in live-action. I scrolled down, saw that and laughed.

Acapelli
06-08-2010, 04:54 AM
except that isn't live action, that's cg, which i imagine isn't 100% representative of what it will actually look like

same with the cap costume

this is mainly in reference to the way materials are rendered

megladon8
06-10-2010, 02:02 AM
I really liked this article - why does Spider-Man have to be white? (http://www.cinematical.com/2010/06/09/the-geek-beat-new-origins-new-faces/)

Winston*
06-10-2010, 02:04 AM
Think they should go with the internet on this one. Donald Glover is great.

megladon8
06-10-2010, 02:12 AM
Think they should go with the internet on this one. Donald Glover is great.

I also think a Batwoman movie could be pretty damn cool.

megladon8
06-11-2010, 12:45 AM
A little video from ET, with Natalie Portman and Chris Hemsworth talking about Thor (http://www.cinematical.com/2010/06/10/thor-set-video-reveals-costumes-characters-and-more/)

Also features a bit of Branagh at the end, and a few sporadic shots of people in costume.

D_Davis
06-11-2010, 02:27 AM
I still want a Dr. Strange and Cloak and Dagger movie. Now that would be fun.

megladon8
06-11-2010, 02:36 AM
I still want a Dr. Strange and Cloak and Dagger movie. Now that would be fun.

Heck yeah.

Any casting ideas?

D_Davis
06-11-2010, 04:47 AM
Well, I know C&D are supposed to be younger, but I've always thought of Tony Todd and Charlize Theron. Don't know about Dr. Strange.

EyesWideOpen
06-11-2010, 05:18 AM
Samuel L. Jackson as Dr. Strange. Done.

number8
06-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Hugh Laurie.

Acapelli
06-11-2010, 05:25 PM
ROBERT DOWNEY JR...oh wait

Spun Lepton
06-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Has this become the catch-all upcoming superhero movies thread? I already posted this in the General Upcoming thread, but it may fit better here.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=504860&gt1=28101&

I wholeheartedly encourage this to happen. Can JLH handle "badass"? Dunno. But, she could certainly handle the outfit. FWHOOWAAR!! :lol:

number8
06-11-2010, 07:48 PM
It's the catch-all Marvel superhero thread, so GTFO.

[ETM]
06-11-2010, 07:48 PM
I wholeheartedly encourage this to happen. Can JLH handle "badass"? Dunno. But, she could certainly handle the outfit. FWHOOWAAR!! :lol:

I'm not so sure. The front - perhaps.
http://www.hollywoodtuna.com/images/jennifer_love_hewitt_huge_biki ni_small.jpg

Ezee E
06-11-2010, 08:01 PM
Refn wants to do Wonder Woman. I would say no chance he'd hire Hewitt. But then I say there's probably no chance that Refn gets to do Wonder Woman.

Spun Lepton
06-11-2010, 08:03 PM
;265472']I'm not so sure. The front - perhaps.
http://www.hollywoodtuna.com/images/jennifer_love_hewitt_huge_biki ni_small.jpg

Like most actors, she'd probably workout and get into shape before shooting the movie.

That said ... that image ... uh ... has been saved to my hard drive ... :D

Grouchy
06-11-2010, 09:21 PM
David Bowie - Dr. Strange

Or, if they wanna go a younger route, Mark Strong.

Adam
06-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Th comic book movie Mark Strong had to be in was the first Nolan Batman, because he's so clearly Ra's Al Ghul it hurts

Skitch
06-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Th comic book movie Mark Strong had to be in was the first Nolan Batman, because he's so clearly Ra's Al Ghul it hurts

More than Liam Neeson? Naaah.

D_Davis
06-14-2010, 12:29 AM
David Bowie - Dr. Strange

Holy shit - yes. Great choice.

Fezzik
06-15-2010, 12:35 PM
Robert Rodriguez asked to direct Deadpool (http://www.collider.com/2010/06/14/deadpool-robert-rodriguez-offered-direct/#more-31973)

Um...yes please?

Skitch
06-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Robert Rodriguez asked to direct Deadpool (http://www.collider.com/2010/06/14/deadpool-robert-rodriguez-offered-direct/#more-31973)

Um...yes please?

Seconded.

Grouchy
06-16-2010, 12:40 PM
That's good.

Skitch
06-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Dr. Strange = Tom Selleck.

Lazlo
06-21-2010, 04:13 PM
With "Kick Ass", "The Losers" and "Jonah Hex" tanking, the filmgoing public is definitely showing a lack of interest this year in comic-to-film adaptations based on lesser known properties. Now, Latino Review reports that Marvel Studios is considering a different strategy for their lesser known heroes - short films.

Much like Pixar does with their features, Marvel is apparently considering making ten-minute short films introducing lesser known superheroes (eg. Luke Cage, Dr. Strange) to play before Marvel's two big tentpoles next year - "Thor" and "Captain America".

This would seem to contradict talk earlier this year which emerged that the company was looking into generating lower budget films with promising directors to introduce their C-Grade characters. Then again both plans could well be in the works, but no official word on either approach is yet forthcoming.

Interesting, I guess. Good way of using these characters without risking a giant "Who the fuck is Dr. Strange" from the general public, perhaps.

number8
06-21-2010, 04:17 PM
That's actually pretty smart.

Skitch
06-21-2010, 04:43 PM
I like that idea.

bac0n
06-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Probably is, but I think a full length Luke Cage film could be a whole lotta fun.

megladon8
06-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Probably is, but I think a full length Luke Cage film could be a whole lotta fun.

Indeed, but casting is uber-important with that character.

They need someone who actually has acting chops. I know Tyrese Gibson was/is interested in the role, but that would suck.

number8
06-21-2010, 09:44 PM
Knowing how the movie industry operates, it'll probably be Rampage Jackson.

Grouchy
06-21-2010, 10:47 PM
I like the idea of high quality short films for these characters.

Acapelli
06-22-2010, 01:35 AM
Knowing how the movie industry operates, it'll probably be Rampage Jackson.
god i really wished that michael k. williams rumor true

megladon8
06-22-2010, 02:01 AM
While I like the idea, I have serious doubts that there will actually be much of value about these characters in the short films.

Unlike the Pixar shorts, which display character, charm, wit and emotion in such a short time, I would expect the Marvel ones to just feature a couple of token action scenes, some posing, and maybe a bit of narration with no more depth than Spider-Man's intro "Who am I?" speech.

Grouchy
06-22-2010, 02:19 AM
While I like the idea, I have serious doubts that there will actually be much of value about these characters in the short films.

Unlike the Pixar shorts, which display character, charm, wit and emotion in such a short time, I would expect the Marvel ones to just feature a couple of token action scenes, some posing, and maybe a bit of narration with no more depth than Spider-Man's intro "Who am I?" speech.
I don't know. You can tell a very cool Dr. Strange story in 15 minutes. There's no need to dwell on the character's origins, right?

megladon8
06-22-2010, 02:24 AM
I don't know. You can tell a very cool Dr. Strange story in 15 minutes. There's no need to dwell on the character's origins, right?

But I think 15 minutes is like 3-5 times longer than what they're saying, if the comparison to Pixar shorts is any indication.

Those are only like 3-5 minutes long.

Skitch
06-22-2010, 04:06 AM
I don't know how accurate the Dr. Strange animated film is to the character, but I quite enjoy it.

Grouchy
06-22-2010, 04:19 AM
But I think 15 minutes is like 3-5 times longer than what they're saying, if the comparison to Pixar shorts is any indication.

Those are only like 3-5 minutes long.
Proportionally, though, a Pixar movie (i.e.: Up) is 96 minutes long. Iron Man 2 ran 124m, and The Incredible Hulk 112m.

If they can keep the main feature a little under two hours, I see no reason for not putting in a 10+ minutes short.

Fezzik
06-25-2010, 08:02 PM
Fassbender as Magneto in X-Men: First Class? (http://www.collider.com/2010/06/24/x-men-first-class-michael-fassbender-magneto-spider-man-reboot/)

God, I hope so. That'd be perfect.

Ezee E
07-10-2010, 04:42 AM
Looks like Marvel wants to recast Bruce Banner to save cost. Bad move.

BuffaloWilder
07-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Good move. Ed Norton was surprisingly lackadaisical in the role. Bring Eric Bana back, that's what I say.

BuffaloWilder
07-10-2010, 05:50 PM
No wait, cast Jon Heder. It's genius.

megladon8
07-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Good move. Ed Norton was surprisingly lackadaisical in the role. Bring Eric Bana back, that's what I say.

Indeed.

Eric Bana was not only a better Banner/Hulk, it was just an all-round better movie.

megladon8
07-11-2010, 08:58 PM
More on Norton not returning to the role. (http://www.cinematical.com/2010/07/10/edward-norton-wont-play-hulk-in-the-avengers-updated/)

From this quote...

"Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members."

It seems like they're basically saying "we need someone who isn't an asshole who'll try to take over the project for himself like he did with The Incredible Hulk."

Dukefrukem
07-12-2010, 03:57 PM
Marvel President of Production on Friday 7/9:

"We have made the decision to not bring Ed Norton back to portray the title role of Bruce Banner in the Avengers. Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members. The Avengers demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts. We are looking to announce a name actor who fulfills these requirements, and is passionate about the iconic role in the coming weeks."

And Norton's agent's response on 7/11:

"This offensive statement from Kevin Feige at Marvel is a purposefully misleading, inappropriate attempt to paint our client in a negative light. Here are the facts: two months ago, Kevin called me and said he wanted Edward to reprise the role of Bruce Banner in The Avengers. He told me it would be his fantasy to bring Edward on stage with the rest of the cast at ComiCon and make it the event of the convention. When I said that Edward was definitely open to this idea, Kevin was very excited and we agreed that Edward should meet with Joss Whedon to discuss the project. Edward and Joss had a very good meeting (confirmed by Feige to me) at which Edward said he was enthusiastic at the prospect of being a part of the ensemble cast. Marvel subsequently made him a financial offer to be in the film and both sides started negotiating in good faith. This past Wednesday, after several weeks of civil, uncontentious discussions, but before we had come to terms on a deal, a representative from Marvel called to say they had decided to go in another direction with the part. This seemed to us to be a financial decision but, whatever the case, it is completely their prerogative, and we accepted their decision with no hard feelings.

We know a lot of fans have voiced their public disappointment with this result, but this is no excuse for Feige's mean spirited, accusatory comments. Counter to what Kevin implies here, Edward was looking forward to the opportunity to work with Joss and the other actors in the Avengers cast, many of whom are personal friends of his. Feige's statement is unprofessional, disingenuous and clearly defamatory. Mr. Norton talent, tireless work ethic and professional integrity deserve more respect, and so do Marvel's fans.

Brian Swardstrom
WME"

Funny to say the least. I hate it when they change character roles. It looks sloppy in the long run.

number8
07-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Feige's statement was unnecessarily dick-ish.

Ezee E
07-12-2010, 04:25 PM
And then they cast someone from a TV Show that will do anything at their will.

megladon8
07-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Feige's statement was unnecessarily dick-ish.

Which also happens to be a great descriptor of Edward Norton.

Acapelli
07-13-2010, 04:25 AM
norton's statement was pretty classy

joaquin phoenix has been rumored

Dead & Messed Up
07-13-2010, 05:05 AM
I didn't even bother with The Incredible Hulk, but I can't believe they turned down Norton, considering the moneys they've made off all those frigging movies.

megladon8
07-13-2010, 05:08 AM
I didn't even bother with The Incredible Hulk, but I can't believe they turned down Norton, considering the moneys they've made off all those frigging movies.

The Incredible Hulk was actually pretty good. Particularly the action scenes. Leterrier really does know how to do action.

All I ever hear is how incredibly difficult Norton is. I don't care how admirable "artistic credibility" is in Hollywood - he comes across as a self-important ass.

He will flat-out insult coworkers' films in interviews, sometimes even directly to their faces. The guy's a prick, and I'm not surprised that Marvel doesn't want to work with him anymore after the shit-storm he raised trying to take over production of The Incredible Hulk.

Derek
07-13-2010, 05:19 AM
The Incredible Hulk was actually pretty good.

No, it was awful. The final showdown was decent, but most of the rest was pretty laughable.

megladon8
07-13-2010, 05:22 AM
No, it was awful. The final showdown was decent, but most of the rest was pretty laughable.

What did you think of the Lee film?

Derek
07-13-2010, 05:32 AM
What did you think of the Lee film?

I love it, might be my favorite comic book movie.

Dukefrukem
07-13-2010, 12:05 PM
I thought both Hulk movies were bad. The only thing I enjoyed was Hulk vs the Tanks in Lee's adaptation.

Skitch
07-13-2010, 12:15 PM
I like both Hulk movies. I would like to see an uncut version of the Norton entry.

Dukefrukem
07-13-2010, 12:56 PM
And the final scene in the Incredible Hulk is inconsistent with the ending of Iron Man 2.

number8
07-13-2010, 01:18 PM
I thought The Incredible Hulk takes place after Iron Man 2.

Fezzik
07-13-2010, 03:49 PM
I thought The Incredible Hulk takes place after Iron Man 2.

It does. Letterier and Favreau (as well as other Marvel execs) have put the cameo at the end of Hulk to have happened after the events of IM2

Dukefrukem
07-13-2010, 04:22 PM
How were we supposed to know that? Did they release some obscure internet statement after Iron Man 2 came out?

Fezzik
07-13-2010, 04:32 PM
How were we supposed to know that? Did they release some obscure internet statement after Iron Man 2 came out?

Yeah, its weird. It was talked about in interviews only, i think. I am expecting that once Avengers is released, they'll release all the movies in a huge box set numbered for whatever order they go in.

number8
07-13-2010, 04:39 PM
But weren't Stark and Fury watching footage from The Incredible Hulk's climax at the end of Iron Man 2? I think the chronology is pretty easy to figure out if you're not already thinking of the movies in real time order.

Most of Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk happened concurrently, then at the end of IM2 they see the news report of Hulk, then Stark goes and visit Thunderbolt Ross, as shown at the end of TIH. I don't think it's that confusing.

Dukefrukem
07-13-2010, 05:01 PM
I guess I wasn't paying attention to what they were watching in IM2

Sycophant
07-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Marvel seems like a pretty dumb movie production company.

Acapelli
07-13-2010, 09:01 PM
they seem pretty smart to me

megladon8
07-13-2010, 10:50 PM

Wha?

They seem like better businessmen than studios that are 70+ years their senior.

Wryan
07-14-2010, 05:26 PM
New Thor image:

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/thor-odin-loki.jpg

Giggling a little right now...

Ezee E
07-14-2010, 05:46 PM
Ew...

Grouchy
07-14-2010, 05:47 PM
At least the action figures will look good.

number8
07-14-2010, 06:01 PM
What the hammer is that?

Watashi
07-14-2010, 06:10 PM
It looks photoshopped, but one production photo is hardly going to damper my anticipation for a Kenneth Branagh Thor movie.

Watashi
07-14-2010, 06:11 PM
In other news, Mark Ruffalo is the new Bruce Banner/Hulk.

Lazlo
07-14-2010, 06:19 PM
In other news, Mark Ruffalo is the new Bruce Banner/Hulk.

I like it.

number8
07-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Decent replacement. I'd prefer Bana, but oh well.

Acapelli
07-14-2010, 06:59 PM
i want to see them in the context of asgard before passing judgement, but i gotta say i'm not a fan of the gold eyepatch

Ezee E
07-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Ruffalo's a great choice. Glad I was wrong about them picking some hack actor.

Ezee E
07-19-2010, 04:49 AM
This is a little better for Thor:

http://comingsoon.net/nextraimages/latimesthor.jpg

Morris Schæffer
07-19-2010, 10:35 AM
http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/ThorAsgardSm.jpg

Ezee E
07-19-2010, 11:06 AM
That's what I meant to post.

It'll be pretty funny if Branagh decides to take the $100+ million dollars and make a ridiculous theatrical production of Thor instead of your typical tentpole action movie.

Rowland
07-19-2010, 11:44 AM
I'd rather Ruffalo not waste his talent.

Morris Schæffer
07-19-2010, 03:43 PM
That's what I meant to post.

It'll be pretty funny if Branagh decides to take the $100+ million dollars and make a ridiculous theatrical production of Thor instead of your typical tentpole action movie.

Then why didn't you sucka? :P

But yeah, here's hoping this'll be more The Dark Knight than Fantastic Four.

number8
07-19-2010, 03:49 PM

Official synopsis:

Paramount Pictures and Marvel Entertainment present the epic adventure, “Thor,” which spans the Marvel Universe from present day Earth to the realm of Asgard. At the center of the story is the mighty Thor (Chris Hemsworth), a powerful but arrogant warrior whose reckless actions reignite an ancient war. Thor is cast down to Earth by his father Odin (Anthony Hopkins) and is forced to live among humans. A beautiful, young scientist, Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), has a profound effect on Thor, as she ultimately becomes his first love. It’s while here on Earth that Thor learns what it takes to be a true hero when the most dangerous villain of his world sends the darkest forces of Asgard to invade Earth.

I dunno, save for that last sentence, this could be very Shakesperean.

Watashi
07-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Then why didn't you sucka? :P

But yeah, here's hoping this'll be more The Dark Knight than Fantastic Four.
Ew. Not every movie needs to be super dark and gritty.

If anything, Thor SHOULD be all glamourous and flamboyant.

Wryan
07-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Official synopsis:

I dunno, save for that last sentence, this could be very Shakesperean.

+cgi beasts?

Morris Schæffer
07-19-2010, 10:05 PM
If anything, Thor SHOULD be all glamourous and flamboyant.

Bruce Wayne was glamorous and flamboyant, but I hear ya. I just don't want it to be infantile tosh, filled with oneliners, scenery-masticating characters and cheesy FX.

Acapelli
07-20-2010, 04:17 AM
loki's helmet looks FUCKING SWEET

EDIT: here's a higher res version of the image e posted

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/2184/thorthebest.jpg

number8
07-20-2010, 04:25 AM
I spy a Kakihara.

Sycophant
07-20-2010, 04:28 AM
I missed that Asano's in this! Is this his first English-language production?

number8
07-20-2010, 04:32 AM
I missed that Asano's in this! Is this his first English-language production?

Yeah. Strangely enough, he's already got another lined up. He's in... He's in the Battleship movie.

Sycophant
07-20-2010, 04:34 AM
Yeah. Strangely enough, he's already got another lined up. He's in... He's in the Battleship movie.

Why, Asano, why? Ishii and Kore-eda need to keep this guy employed.

Sxottlan
07-21-2010, 09:13 AM

This looks to be nuts. Reminds me of the throne room from The Cell.

Sxottlan
07-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Comic-Con art:

http://img.trekmovie.com/images/sfs/captainamericaposter-large-sfmovies129.jpg

http://img.trekmovie.com/images/sfs/thorposter-large-sfmovies129.jpg

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Branagh was brought in to make Thor some epic long lost Shakespeare play. Makes sense. But I'm wondering how self serious the film will be.

Morris Schæffer
07-21-2010, 01:55 PM
http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/thorrain.jpg

Whoa! Hemsworth's Home & Away days are clearly a thing of the past!

Wryan
07-23-2010, 02:37 AM
Whedon officially announced for Avengers director.

Winston*
07-23-2010, 02:38 AM
Hope they keep the Avengers tie in bullshit in Thor until after the credits so I don't have to watch it.

Sxottlan
07-23-2010, 03:04 AM
http://www.aintitcool.com/images2009/thorrain.jpg

That looks like the same site seen at the end of Iron Man 2.

Barty
07-25-2010, 03:00 AM
Thor looked absolutely awesome. The Avengers bring out was beyond awesome.

number8
07-25-2010, 03:09 AM
Seeing all of the Avengers onstage was unreal.

[ETM]
07-25-2010, 03:13 AM
Renner as Hawkeye? Awesome.

In fact, Renner as ANYTHING = awesome.

Acapelli
07-25-2010, 03:27 AM
well they still haven't cast antman and wasp

Henry Gale
07-25-2010, 04:09 AM
http://www.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/the_avengers_comic_con_cast.jp g