PDA

View Full Version : The Marvel/Sony Superhero Movies Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

number8
04-24-2017, 07:23 PM
Would extending the countdown to 3 minutes cut down on cost?

Dead & Messed Up
04-24-2017, 08:18 PM
Sure, but it'd also cut down on fun.

Skitch
04-24-2017, 09:57 PM
Can we please stick a fork in the Tomatometer?

YOU HAVE MY SWORD.

Milky Joe
04-24-2017, 10:01 PM
Also Kinberg wrote Days of Future Past and Apocalypse, which should be way more relevant than The Last Stand, and he's basically Fox's closest thing to Feige in overseeing the connected creative side of Fox's Marvel stuff.

Good to know.

Strangely I feel that a lot of the blame for X3 sucking so much lands on Bryan Singer for abandoning the X-Men to do a mediocre Superman movie. If he had just stayed in that groove, I doubt it would have turned out the way it did.

Dukefrukem
05-01-2017, 07:41 PM
I watched a bunch of MCU over the weekend. Two Thor movies, Two Avenger movies and Ant-man. I noticed something in the post credit scene in Avengers.

Obviously everyone here knows it's where Thanos is first introduced. The guy that's talking to him, is talking about the humans and how they can't be controlled and how resilient they are blah blah blah. But the last line he says is interesting... “To challenge them is to court death”- That's when Thanos turns around and smiles.

I never noticed this before, but that's alluding to the comics where Thanos was literally courting death. He wanted death (the character) to love him.

Makes me wonder if this is really the path they are going down with Infinity War. And whether they'll just use Hela as the replacement for Death.

number8
05-01-2017, 08:14 PM
I feel there must have been a discussion about that in the Avengers thread. I'm not gonna go looking for it, though.

Dukefrukem
05-01-2017, 09:34 PM
I'm reading the whole thread now.

Dukefrukem
05-01-2017, 09:58 PM
This was the extent of the discussion...

I'm guessing Avengers 2. Although to be honest, he has ties to multiple heroes. But if they're going where I think and are going to do

The Infinity Gauntlet

for the sequel, my brain might melt.

Did you know about the mid-credit tease beforehand?

I had to explain to Barty about Thanos. I can imagine your pants explosion during the "court death" exchange and then his reveal.

NO. NO IDEA. You should have seen my face.

Couple of other fun quotes.

Fez from the clouds!

Multiple times in the movie, the fact that Coulson is dating a cellist is mentioned. In the Marvel Universe, there was actually a cellist super-hero: The Scarlet Witch. She eventually married The Vision. Could Coulson be back with a different identity?

And Henry Gale dropping some awesome theories back in 2012

Now that Marvel Studios is no longer the underdog with seemingly lower-end properties (Iron Man, Thor and Captain America previously being nowhere near what they are now in terms of marketability and success), and say The Amazing Spider-Man underperforms even slightly, is there any possibility of Columbia trying to renegotiating their rights of the character to try and force him into the next Avengers? We already know they intend on putting their next Spidey sequel out before the next Avengers in 2015 or so which could allow for some bridging, and Feige is still somewhat involved in that end of Marvel film development, so it's not completely impossible to imagine. I'm not sure how it worked with Hulk and Universal being allowed to keep distribution while Marvel Studios produced it.

It's pretty much now or never in terms of merging them, and now that Avengers is even bigger than the biggest of Spider-Man movies ever were, everyone would likely benefit from bringing in another universally loved hero into the team next time around.

And 8 supporting it!

Honestly, I don't think Marvel would want to without making their own Spidey movie.

Dukefrukem
05-09-2017, 01:13 AM
Heroes in the next Avengers movie

https://i.redd.it/efe7tqi7qawy.png

Ezee E
05-09-2017, 02:32 AM
What will be the best/funniest/coolest/etc combo that hasn't been seen yet?

Iron Man and Groot?
Rocket Racoon and Spider-Man?

transmogrifier
05-09-2017, 02:42 AM

Iron Man and Groot?

Gamora and something to do.
Warhammer and a personality.
A Marvel movie and an interesting third act.

Ezee E
05-09-2017, 02:47 AM
Gamora and something to do.
Warhammer and a personality.
A Marvel movie and an interesting third act.

Ha. Don't count on that third act happening.

Skitch
05-09-2017, 03:27 AM

Iron Man and Groot?

Any real stakes.

Dukefrukem
05-09-2017, 08:56 PM
We did it folks. We found the first international trailer that is WORSE than the US trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc1BQx3qQw4

megladon8
05-19-2017, 06:28 PM
So, Tom Hardy is Venom.

Ivan Drago
05-19-2017, 10:34 PM
So, Tom Hardy is Venom.

I'm excited.

For now.

Ezee E
05-20-2017, 02:37 AM
Is Venom part of the MCU or outside? I hope outside.

TGM
05-20-2017, 02:51 AM
Is Venom part of the MCU or outside? I hope outside.

I'm pretty sure it's outside, so much so that Spider-Man isn't even going to be involved. Though I'd personally still love for Sony to just say fuck it and do their own Spider-Man anyways, even with Marvel doing their thing in the MCU.

Ezee E
05-20-2017, 02:57 AM
I'm pretty sure it's outside, so much so that Spider-Man isn't even going to be involved. Though I'd personally still love for Sony to just say fuck it and do their own Spider-Man anyways, even with Marvel doing their thing in the MCU.

Perfect.

Now to await writer / director.

number8
05-20-2017, 04:53 AM
It's Ruben Fleischer.

Ezee E
05-20-2017, 06:24 AM
It's Ruben Fleischer.

And the writer of Kangaroo Jack.

Henry Gale
05-20-2017, 07:19 PM
And the writer of Kangaroo Jack.

To be fair, he also wrote Con Air. :cool:
(And High Fidelity, and did the first significant rewrites to Raimi's firsr Spider-Man, but whatever...)

Also Jeff Pinkner is co-writing. He ran most of Fringe!

Dukefrukem
05-20-2017, 08:05 PM
To be fair, he also wrote Con Air. :cool:
(And High Fidelity, and did the first significant rewrites to Raimi's firsr Spider-Man, but whatever...)

Also Jeff Pinkner is co-writing. He ran most of Fringe!

The Fringe experience is a good sign. It's one of the few series that has a dismal debut season and recovers nicely through seasons 2 3 and 4.

Wryan
05-24-2017, 10:38 AM
New Homecoming poster has to be seen to be believed.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2017/05/SMH_DOM_Online_FNL_1SHT_3DRD3D IMX_AOJ_300dpi_01.jpg

Wryan
05-24-2017, 10:39 AM
I think the best part is how one of the nameless henchmen gets on a freaking poster.

EDIT: Or not. There are reports that said henchmen is Logan Marshall Green, who is playing...one of two versions of Shocker (?), with Bokeem Woodbine being the other. Da hell?

http://movieweb.com/spider-man-homecoming-shocker-logan-marshall-green/

Dukefrukem
05-24-2017, 12:26 PM
New Homecoming poster has to be seen to be believed.

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2017/05/SMH_DOM_Online_FNL_1SHT_3DRD3D IMX_AOJ_300dpi_01.jpg

Blocked by work but I assume it's this- looks like they re-hired the guy who did the Iron Man 2 poster.

https://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2017/harry/smh_dom_online_fnl_1sht_3drd3d imx_aoj_300dpi_01-720x1066_large.jpg

Skitch
05-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Wow. Thats...horrid.

Dead & Messed Up
05-24-2017, 08:06 PM
The teeny white logo inside the title is awful. The bizarre combo of particle effects on the right and the small flames by Tony's head is awful. The fade between skylines is awful. Tom Holland's face smaller than Robert Downey Jr.'s is awful. Marvel Studios Presents: Graphic Design Freshman - The Movie: The Poster.

number8
05-24-2017, 09:10 PM
Floating heads cliche aside, the disparate elements in the background and the skyline fade are terribly executed. What the fuck is with that random flame? Is this a fanmade banner from a pro wrestling message board?

megladon8
05-24-2017, 09:48 PM
I didn't realize we were getting Iron Man 4 so soon.

Dukefrukem
05-24-2017, 09:55 PM
I didn't realize we were getting Iron Man 4 so soon.

Dont you tease me like that....

megladon8
05-25-2017, 09:52 AM
That's not what you were saying to me last night!

HEY-OOOOOOOOO!!

Dukefrukem
05-25-2017, 12:38 PM
I was frantically searching google and Twitter for an "Iron Man 4" announcement.

Dukefrukem
05-25-2017, 03:13 PM
So this is kind of cool? New Mutants will be a horror movie.

We are making a full-fledged horror movie set within the X-Men universe. There are no costumes. There are no supervillains. We’re trying to do something very, very different. We made a comic book with what our vision of the series would be. We love that Fox wants to make all these different X-Men spinoffs as drastically different as they can.”

http://ew.com/movies/2017/05/25/the-new-mutants-details-x-men-horror/

number8
05-25-2017, 04:33 PM
Ha, I knew exactly how they were going to do that. Not a bad idea at all to skip right to that Sienkiewicz story. Certainly makes it more interesting.

TGM
05-25-2017, 10:52 PM
So now Fox lets someone make a horror movie after one of their properties, only now after they explicitly butchered Josh Trank's attempt to do that with Fantastic Four. :rolleyes:

Still though, I'm totally down for something like that, assuming it's allowed to go all the way. And well, frankly, given Fox's more recent track record of allowing their directors relative freedom, we might actually get just that.

Wryan
05-26-2017, 01:51 AM
https://i.imgur.com/l8Pjl8m.jpg

Dukefrukem
05-26-2017, 02:06 AM
https://i.imgur.com/l8Pjl8m.jpg

We should post it in here a fourth time.

number8
05-26-2017, 02:58 AM
Oh god, that's hilarious. That's the official poster from now on.

Dukefrukem
06-03-2017, 01:01 PM
Has anyone stopped and looked at the cast in Thor Ragnarok? It's incredible. Best cast in a super hero movie ever?

Dukefrukem
06-07-2017, 06:34 PM
FYI- Spider-man tickets are on sale in case anyone buys early like I do.

Dukefrukem
06-09-2017, 01:54 PM
Teaser tonight!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DB4UnNjU0AAgATp.jpg

number8
06-09-2017, 02:01 PM
Mrreow.

Wryan
06-09-2017, 03:50 PM
Uh, wasn't his costume much better in Civil War? This looks blank by comparison.

number8
06-09-2017, 05:33 PM
It is a different design. There were black diamond patterns on his chest and here it's anatomical pecs and abs.

Dead & Messed Up
06-09-2017, 05:37 PM
So hype for Black Panther's Photoshop Head.

Dukefrukem
06-09-2017, 05:57 PM
The floating head does look bad.

Peng
06-10-2017, 02:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxWvtMOGAhw

Not enough Lupita Nyong'o imo.

Dead & Messed Up
06-10-2017, 02:47 AM
And I'd like more Michael B. Jordan.

Wryan
06-10-2017, 03:22 AM
Looks fun, like a much-needed breath of fresh air. Great cast. Excited to see Phylicia Rashad in action.

Wryan
06-10-2017, 03:39 AM
Lol Angela Bassett looking like the Storm we always wanted and didn't get.

number8
06-10-2017, 05:38 AM
Fuck me that looks great. Run the Jewels. Michael B. Dreads. All the purple and blue shades.

Also Duke saying Thor Ragnarok having the best cast. This definitely beats it.

Morris Schæffer
06-10-2017, 08:00 AM
If the reviews are good I'll check it out, but I'm not too wild about this trailer.

Skitch
06-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Awesome.

Dukefrukem
06-10-2017, 11:28 AM
Holy fuck ass! The tone of this looks incredible.

Dukefrukem
06-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Fuck me that looks great. Run the Jewels. Michael B. Dreads. All the purple and blue shades.

Also Duke saying Thor Ragnarok having the best cast. This definitely beats it.

It's neck and neck, but I still disagree. The trick is how many last names can you post and know exactly who you're talking about.

Cumberbatch
Blanchett
Elba
Hemsworth
Hiddleston
Hopkins
Urban
Goldblum
Ruffalo
Stevenson
Sam fucking Neil.

vs

Boseman
Jordan
Lupita Nyong'o
Martin Freeman
Bassett
Whitiker
Serkis

number8
06-10-2017, 12:45 PM
You left out Phylicia Rashad, Danai Gurira, Daniel Kuluuya, Sterling K. Brown, and Isaach de Bankole. I definitely think this cast has way cooler people.

TGM
06-10-2017, 12:52 PM
If the reviews are good I'll check it out, but I'm not too wild about this trailer.

I mean, I'll still see it, but I'm similarly not exactly wowed by anything in this trailer.

Ezee E
06-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Having Blanchett, Goldblum, Elba, Hopkins, AND Ruffalo.

Michonne is cool and all, but c'mon now. lol

Dead & Messed Up
06-10-2017, 03:41 PM
Yeah, teaser was fine (hey, look, bullet time!), but all those people, along with fuckin' Ryan Coogler directing. Those are the reasons.

Grouchy
06-10-2017, 07:33 PM
That looks pretty good. But yeah, Ragnarok definitively has the edge as far as "name" casting goes.

Skitch
06-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Stone's Alexander had a pretty amazing cast.

Dukefrukem
06-13-2017, 11:49 PM
You left out Phylicia Rashad, Danai Gurira, Daniel Kuluuya, Sterling K. Brown, and Isaach de Bankole. I definitely think this cast has way cooler people.

I did because I don't know who any of those people are except for Danai Gurira, and I don't think she's that great of an actress.

Ivan Drago
06-14-2017, 04:11 PM
Kaluuya is in the best episode of Black Mirror (Fifteen Million Merits) and the lead in Get Out. He's an awesome actor.

Dukefrukem
06-14-2017, 04:56 PM
Kaluuya is in the best episode of Black Mirror (Fifteen Million Merits) and the lead in Get Out. He's an awesome actor.

I don't not know who he is (after looking him up), I'm just not automatically putting him up at the same level as the other names I listed based on such a small body of work.

number8
06-14-2017, 05:21 PM
You don't have to agree with me, but Isaach de Bankole in the last ten years has played main characters in Clair Denis, Lars von Trier, and Jim Jarmusch movies. Jeff Goldblum in the last ten years has starred in the Independence Day sequel, Mortdecai, and the Tim & Eric movie. So I know which cast is personally exciting me more.

Dead & Messed Up
06-14-2017, 05:54 PM
Let's face it, Jeff Goldblum is now more meme than man.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oD3YQjT2cSZTsy6Va/giphy.gif

Wryan
06-14-2017, 06:25 PM
I enjoy Goldblum quite a bit. But the last time he impressed me was Igby Goes Down. Still haven't seen Life Aquatic.

Dukefrukem
06-14-2017, 08:03 PM
I enjoy Goldblum quite a bit. But the last time he impressed me was Igby Goes Down. Still haven't seen Life Aquatic.

This is a travesty in itself.

Dukefrukem
06-15-2017, 09:55 AM
Simon Kinberg to direct X-Men: Dark Phoenix .

Bye Singer.

Ivan Drago
06-15-2017, 06:00 PM
I'm a little confused as to why no one thinks a solo Venom movie can be made without Spider-Man. Hasn't Venom had several runs in the comics centered around him as an anti-hero?

Dukefrukem
06-15-2017, 06:04 PM
I'm a little confused as to why no one thinks a solo Venom movie can be made without Spider-Man. Hasn't Venom had several runs in the comics centered around him as an anti-hero?

Yes. There's plenty of material where Spider-man wasn't involved. Venom even took over Punisher if I recall. I remember reading that and thinking that was the perfect anti-hero for me.

number8
06-15-2017, 06:18 PM

It's not whether or not the character can function as his own protagonist. Pretty much any comic book character can and at some point has.

The skepticism is more about launching him as a standalone character in a world where Spider-man doesn't exist, which sounds a little silly. Right off the bat, there's the question of his look. Venom looks the way he looks because the symbiote used to be bonded with Spider-Man and retains the mask and spider motif after they separated as an expression of revenge. Of course, everyone's saying this based on the conjecture that the movie will be an origin story. If it just starts with the symbiote already mysteriously on Earth without explanation and making some vague references to "the previous host," then they can probably have their cake and eat it too.

Beyond that, though, the fact that he's such a mirror image of Spidey makes the whole thing odder than if it was any other Spidey villain. Like, imagine if they made a standalone Bizarro movie where the character is completely unrelated to Superman.

Ezee E
06-15-2017, 11:09 PM
I figure there will be some discussion of Spider-Man like the Netflix Marvel Shows do to the Avengers.

Dukefrukem
06-15-2017, 11:31 PM
I figure there will be some discussion of Spider-Man like the Netflix Marvel Shows do to the Avengers.

Doubtful. The Netflix shows are part of the MCU, technically.

Venom is just Sony.

Ezee E
06-15-2017, 11:35 PM
Doubtful. The Netflix shows are part of the MCU, technically.

Venom is just Sony.

"The spider kid." "The guy in the spider costume."

Wryan
06-17-2017, 04:03 AM
Throwback to that time Obadiah Stane was just hiding behind the couch waiting for Tony to sit down and get distracted by pizza. Knees gave out, cramps settled in, ass went flat. But he held it.

number8
06-19-2017, 02:20 PM
If it just starts with the symbiote already mysteriously on Earth without explanation and making some vague references to "the previous host," then they can probably have their cake and eat it too.

Haha, this certainly seems to be the case. I am with the internet on this one (http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/06/18/spider-man-spinoff-mcu-venom-black-cat-silver-sable), Feige looked blindsided by Pascal's vague announcement. I think what she's trying to push, though, is the narrative that there's a Venn diagram of Sony's Spider-man universe and Marvel's Cinematic Universe that are completely separate, but Tom Holland's Peter Parker movies are the overlap.

Dukefrukem
06-19-2017, 04:12 PM
Haha, this certainly seems to be the case. I am with the internet on this one (http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/06/18/spider-man-spinoff-mcu-venom-black-cat-silver-sable), Feige looked blindsided by Pascal's vague announcement. I think what she's trying to push, though, is the narrative that there's a Venn diagram of Sony's Spider-man universe and Marvel's Cinematic Universe that are completely separate, but Tom Holland's Peter Parker movies are the overlap.

Such a weird turn.

Let's not forget that Pascal basically never graduated high school so she could be completely misinterpreting the message her.e

Sycophant
06-19-2017, 07:40 PM
Let's not forget that Pascal basically never graduated high school so she could be completely misinterpreting the message her.e

Is this some weird joke? Multiple profiles mention she graduated from UCLA with a degree in international relations.

Dukefrukem
06-20-2017, 01:57 AM
Is this some weird joke? Multiple profiles mention she graduated from UCLA with a degree in international relations.

It was. I think she's dumb as a pile of rocks based on her email wording structure and grammar.

number8
06-21-2017, 05:08 PM
Recommended reading on the relationship between Sony and Marvel: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/spider-man-homecoming-how-sony-learned-cede-control-marvel-1015408

Some news tidbits buried in it:

As for the expansion plans, Tom Hardy is starring in Venom, dated for Oct. 5, 2018, which will also feature the villain Carnage. A source says Holland is only contractually obligated to Spider-Man 2 and 3, but the intention is to bring him into the spinoffs and possibly other Marvel films (he is currently shooting Marvel's Avengers: Infinity War).

Another spinoff, Silver & Black, doesn't have a release date but is eyeing a fall shoot and features characters Silver Sable and Black Cat. Other projects will focus on Kraven the Hunter and Mysterio. The idea, says a studio source, is to build out a world gradually rather than launch one immediately, as they had been trying with Spider-Man villain ensemble Sinister Six, which has been shelved.

Dukefrukem
06-22-2017, 02:16 PM
Updated Predictions on Phase 4

Doctor Strange: Sorcerer Supreme: May 1, 2020
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 July 10, 2020
Adam Warlock: 2020

Spider-man <symbiote- it comes back to Earth via Infinity War> Nov 6, 2021
Ironheart: 2021 (Mandarin Returns)
Black Panther 2: 2021

Captain Marvel 2: 2022
Namor the Sub-Mariner: 2022
There will probably be a 3rd movie in 2022 so we'll call this Ant-man 3

Spider-man 3 2023
Avengers: Illuminati 2023

So based on on who we saw get introduced in GotGv2 and this set photo below... I'm happy with these two bolded choices.

Dukefrukem
06-22-2017, 02:17 PM
Recommended reading on the relationship between Sony and Marvel: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/spider-man-homecoming-how-sony-learned-cede-control-marvel-1015408

Some news tidbits buried in it:

And the Venom Carnage movie will be R-rated.

Wryan
06-22-2017, 02:29 PM
Namor the Sub-Mariner: 2022

Y'all, I'm not walking up to the fucking window and saying, "Yes, can I have one for Namor the Sub-Mariner, please?"

number8
06-23-2017, 03:11 PM
http://s3.birthmoviesdeath.com/images/made/Spider-Man-Homecoming-Bad-Poster-2_1200_1779_81_s.jpeg

Weird poster.

number8
06-23-2017, 03:46 PM
BTW I think this approach is smart but I wonder if this will disappoint the usual MCU fanboys:

Homecoming is described as one of Marvel's youngest-skewing movies and geared to teens.

Morris Schæffer
06-25-2017, 12:20 PM
Review embargo slowly lifted. Initial reactions very, very positive for Spiderman homecoming.

transmogrifier
06-25-2017, 02:02 PM
Review embargo slowly lifted. Initial reactions very, very positive for Spiderman homecoming.

I'm shocked.

Dukefrukem
06-25-2017, 02:03 PM
I'm shocked.

Positive review for a marvel movie? Water is wet.

Morris Schæffer
06-25-2017, 03:28 PM
I'm shocked.

:)

Could have swung a little bit the other way what with the constant rebooting of the character and the sort of lukewarm reviews for the previous installments.

Dead & Messed Up
06-25-2017, 07:55 PM
Guys, this Marvel movie may have hit some sort of baseline audience placation.

Dukefrukem
06-25-2017, 10:23 PM
Guys, this Marvel movie may have hit some sort of baseline audience placation.

But because of trust/acceptance or because of constant excellence?

Dukefrukem
06-26-2017, 12:02 AM
It was. I think she's dumb as a pile of rocks based on her email wording structure and grammar.

Told ya

Dukefrukem
06-26-2017, 12:04 AM
Casting news for Ant-Man and the Wasp soon?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVtNvGrnWff/

Ivan Drago
06-26-2017, 06:13 PM
Casting news for Ant-Man and the Wasp soon?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVtNvGrnWff/

I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that will be the first truly terrible movie in the MCU.

Dukefrukem
06-26-2017, 06:27 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict that will be the first truly terrible movie in the MCU.

That's a safe bet. The problem with that theory is it will likely be another team up movie. I don't think there will be many more strictly, SOLO MCU movies after Black Panther.

number8
06-26-2017, 06:33 PM
I disagree with the premise that there hasn't already been a truly terrible MCU movie.

Dukefrukem
06-26-2017, 06:35 PM
I disagree with the premise that there hasn't already been a truly terrible MCU movie.

Truly terrible post Marvel Studios release.

Grouchy
06-26-2017, 06:42 PM
Which one would that be? The worst ones just seem forgettable to me.

Ivan Drago
06-26-2017, 06:44 PM
That's a safe bet. The problem with that theory is it will likely be another team up movie. I don't think there will be many more strictly, SOLO MCU movies after Black Panther.

Captain Marvel, maybe?

I've heard that about Thor: The Dark World. That's the only MCU movie I haven't seen.

TGM
06-26-2017, 06:48 PM
Thor: The Dark World is far from terrible. Even the ones I consider the worst MCU movies (Iron Man 2, Ant-Man) are hardly anything I'd actually consider to be terrible, even if they're certainly not good...

Dukefrukem
06-26-2017, 06:51 PM
Captain Marvel, maybe?

I've heard that about Thor: The Dark World. That's the only MCU movie I haven't seen.

She will likely team up with Captain America, GotG, or Thor. Likely Captain America and Falcon (just my guess)

And somehow I forgot about Dark World which is awful.

Wryan
06-26-2017, 07:43 PM
Thor 2 was mildly diverting enough to reach "not basement-level garbage."

I can't quite say the same for The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2.

number8
06-26-2017, 07:49 PM
Which one would that be? The worst ones just seem forgettable to me.

I tend to think that boring forgettable movies are terrible. In the MCU ranking thread I rated several movies 5 and below. I don't mind calling anything below 5 a terrible movie.

number8
06-26-2017, 07:52 PM
Tom Holland said in a HuffPo interview that he talked to Kevin Feige and they decided that this kid in Iron Man II was Peter Parker. So there you go. Utterly meaningless but nice little retcon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzySJL81CSE

Peng
06-27-2017, 05:38 AM
First half of Thor 2 is awful; the second half manages a big-scale climax that feels playful, fun, and not deafening for once. Not enough to get it above average, but enough for it to not to be garbage.

Dukefrukem
06-27-2017, 11:59 AM
I'm not sure Thor 2 does anything good except introduce an infinity stone.

I suppose there's two scenes I really like:

When Heimdall discovers the cloaked ship
When Loki is hiding his grief for his mother

Wryan
06-27-2017, 12:01 PM
"I think you missed a few columns."

Dukefrukem
06-29-2017, 03:17 PM
Spider-man Homecoming getting rave reviews. I particularly like these lines:

The result is a “Spider-Man” that feels a little more punchy, laugh-filled, and exciting than one might expect from a property that’s already been given plenty of chances to succeed.

The magic of Homecoming is that it belongs more to the John Hughes cinematic universe than the Avengers’

So, yes, after 13 long years, we have ourselves another great Spider-Man movie – arguably the best

Spider-Man: Homecoming is a franchise reboot done right.

winning combination of a fun superhero adventure tale with a heartwarming story about a regular kid dealing with some very relatable issues

With all this against him, Watts delivered exactly the kind of shake-up the MCU — and the Spider-Man — franchise needs

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/homecoming/spider-man-homecoming-reviews-are-in-what-are-the-critics-saying-a152106

Henry Gale
06-30-2017, 07:23 PM
I have seen it and I agree.

Dukefrukem
07-03-2017, 01:11 PM
Captain Marvel, maybe?

Rumored to be teaming up with Nick Fury

Dukefrukem
07-04-2017, 01:47 AM
I'm not sure which is more impressive. That Spider-man is now 93% certified fresh, making it the second highest rated MCU movie behind Iron Man?

Or that a movie with 6 credited writers actually turned out OK?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/spider_man_homecoming

TGM
07-05-2017, 01:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXtOT-dzkYc

Dukefrukem
07-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Interesting casting news going on for Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Randall Park has been cast as Jimmy Woo, a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent. THis news combined with Jackson's return to star next to Captain Marvel may signify that SHIELD is being put back together.

number8
07-08-2017, 03:13 PM
1. SHIELD has already been publicly put together and back in charge on the TV show. If the movies want to rebuild it differently, I smell an internal civil war coming up in Disney.

2. SHIELD is not what Jimmy Woo is mostly known to be a member of in the comics, so I wouldn't read that into it. I'm thinking it could be something else. Or maybe even a flashback thing.

3. Yay Randall Park!

Morris Schæffer
07-16-2017, 07:40 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEz5hO1XcAANnEL.jpg

Morris Schæffer
07-16-2017, 07:41 AM
There was footage synopsis as well.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/78179

Dead & Messed Up
07-16-2017, 08:10 AM
Looks like he's trying to pass an Infinity Stone.

Morris Schæffer
07-16-2017, 09:47 AM
Looks like he's trying to pass an Infinity Stone.

He won't stand a chance against our intrepid heroes, of which there are even more now.

I figured this movie out already. Tons of action, a phalanx of superheroes and villains blasting across the screen, expensive FX, zero stakes.

Dukefrukem
07-16-2017, 12:41 PM
Fuck the movie. I just like seeing them on stage together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTEDb0iBcbE

Dukefrukem
07-21-2017, 01:32 PM
Saddened to learn that Fox is developing a Doctor Doom movie. Deep down I was really hoping they would make a Marvel deal for post Phase 3.

number8
07-21-2017, 04:25 PM
Noah Hawley, though...

Dukefrukem
07-21-2017, 04:38 PM
Noah Hawley, though...

I'm not familiar with Fargo or whatever that new X-Men show is called. I forgot already.

[ETM]
07-22-2017, 09:57 PM
Downton Abbey, though?

TGM
07-23-2017, 01:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue80QwXMRHg

TGM
07-23-2017, 01:50 AM
That, too, looks fucking awesome. :cool:

Dukefrukem
07-23-2017, 02:43 AM
Not watching.

https://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2017/quint/thorragnaroksdccpos_large.jpg

Dukefrukem
07-23-2017, 02:44 AM
oh and... there will be skrulls in Captain Marvel

https://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2017/harry/screen_shot_2017-07-22_at_8.11.41_pm_large.png

Dukefrukem
07-23-2017, 02:44 AM
Michelle Pfeiffer cast as Janet Van Dyne in Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Henry Gale
07-23-2017, 06:02 AM
Thor trailer and poster are absolute fire.

Wake me up early November. Okay maybe Halloween but even those days are gonna be a tough wait.

Morris Schæffer
07-23-2017, 12:02 PM
I dig the trailer. Fun vibes, some tremendous visual tableaus. Seems more promising than Black Panther.

Dukefrukem
07-23-2017, 01:01 PM
oh and... there will be skrulls in Captain Marvel

https://media.aintitcool.com/media/uploads/2017/harry/screen_shot_2017-07-22_at_8.11.41_pm_large.png

And it takes place in the 90s! Nick Fury will appear in the film, sans eyepatch! Deaging technology basically confirmed.

Laurence Fishburne and Walton Goggins also cast in Ant-man and the Wasp.

transmogrifier
07-23-2017, 04:01 PM
Have scientists figured out the exact point in the future when every single movie and TV show will be in the Marvel Universe? If not, my prediction is 2031.

Milky Joe
07-23-2017, 08:22 PM
I'm not familiar with Fargo or whatever that new X-Men show is called. I forgot already.

Dude you should remedy that immediately and watch Legion. I don't know why you haven't already!

Dukefrukem
07-23-2017, 08:45 PM
Dude you should remedy that immediately and watch Legion. I don't know why you haven't already!

I'm on it.

Do we even have a discussion thread about it?

Dukefrukem
07-23-2017, 11:38 PM
https://i.redd.it/rwfin2iocfbz.png

Dukefrukem
07-24-2017, 12:10 AM
Leaked trailer is crazy. Dunno how they are going to jam everything in this movie.

TGM
07-24-2017, 12:13 AM
Am I missing Ant-Man in that poster?

Skitch
07-24-2017, 12:17 AM
I don't want to be pessimistic (I really do hope this is awesome) but its just beyond me to imagine how they're going to cram this many characters in and it wont feel like...a gigantic clusterfuck of confusion. Probably why I'm not in charge of such projects lol

Dukefrukem
07-24-2017, 06:55 PM
I got it.

Black Widow is a skrull shape-shifter that Fury met back in the 90s.

She's the only Avenger who's past we barely know.

Dukefrukem
07-24-2017, 08:08 PM
Sharp eye for reddit who seemed to have uncovered (clockwise) Beta Ray Bill, Man-Thing and Ares head statues in the Thor trailer. Previous gladiator champions? Plus an ares shot for comparison.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/uploads/thor%20ragnarok%20tower%20east er%20egg.jpg

https://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel//universe3zx/images/e/eb/Ares%28Olympian%29_Head.jpg

Wryan
07-24-2017, 11:12 PM
Damn that trailer is supa-fly sweetness. I'm feeling just so giddy after the rather dour disappointment of Thor 2 (even though there were several parts in 2 I enjoyed).

Wryan
07-25-2017, 02:08 AM
Also, bearded, rough-looking Cap has a direct path to my bed heart any time he wants.

Irish
07-25-2017, 05:05 AM
Also, bearded, rough-looking Cap has a direct path to my bed heart any time he wants.

You might want to check out "Snowpiercer" and "Sunshine" if you haven't. Evans is dirty and bearded in both.

Irish
07-25-2017, 05:15 AM
I love Waititi's sense of humor; he seems like a guy who enjoys himself no matter where he goes or what he's doing.

https://twitter.com/TaikaWaititi/status/889673919808000001

https://twitter.com/TaikaWaititi/status/888744724076646400

But "Ragnarok" (terrible title) looks like a mess. It's like if you took "Flash Gordon" from 1980 and shoved it into the Marvel formula. Folks on the board decry the relative sameness of Marvel titles, but everything in the trailer -- beyond quips -- plays to their standard template. (Also: IB4 someone points out some bit about how "80% was improvised.")

As for the TV shows ... I've honestly lost track of how many X-Men Lite / Mutant based titles there are now. 5? 6? I saw a trailer for some teen based show that looked like a "Heroes" redux and in between "Inhumans" and "Legion" and whatever else, I can't remember the title or what channel it will be on.

Anyway, back to Thor, one question: If Hela is the Goddess of Death, then who is she a goddess for? The citizens of Asgard? So ... the gods have their own set of gods? How far does that chain go? Is it Blanchetts all the way up?

Dukefrukem
07-25-2017, 01:30 PM
Anyway, back to Thor, one question: If Hela is the Goddess of Death, then who is she a goddess for? The citizens of Asgard? So ... the gods have their own set of gods? How far does that chain go? Is it Blanchetts all the way up?

Are you asking to really understand or are you poking at the premise?

Dukefrukem
07-25-2017, 01:31 PM
Side note: I watched the first episode of Legion last night, and it was beyond anything superhero I've ever watched before. Super impressed by it.

Dukefrukem
07-25-2017, 04:09 PM
It sounds like Avengers 3 is going to be the longest MCU movie yet (likely 3 hours long). And Thor 3 is going to be the shortest by almost 15 minutes. (100 minutes).

Shortest MCU movie: Thor 114 minutes
Longest MCU movie: Civil War 147 minutes

megladon8
07-28-2017, 01:50 AM
Spidey's Infinity War suit is pretty neat...

https://preview.ibb.co/knso5Q/IMG_1751.jpg

Dukefrukem
08-01-2017, 05:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew7hvsnSbAY

Morris Schæffer
08-19-2017, 09:11 AM
http://img.seedoff.tv/thumbnail1/width/150/file/http://i89.fastpic.ru/big/2017/0326/5e/90014c2a7f921d818c7726c371a8cc 5e.jpg

Apparently, the above poster was literally Tom Holland sleeping during takes and subsequently snapped by an alert photographer.

number8
08-22-2017, 02:36 PM
Saw a suggestion that Marvel should bring Miles Teller into the MCU as The Maker and letting him play his Reed Richards as a villain, and now I cannot stop thinking about what a great idea that is.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DH1zvjsXcAAG_DE.jpg:large

Dukefrukem
08-22-2017, 04:25 PM
Do we know that they have shared rights to do that? Or are you just throwing out an idea? Because yes, that would be phenomenal.

number8
08-22-2017, 04:51 PM
They can't do it without working out a Sony-like deal. I just like the idea.

number8
08-22-2017, 05:03 PM
My fantasy is that he comes in to the MCU and wreck shit up and everyone's like, ugh who's this punchable looking asshole. They get a hold of his DNA somehow and cross-references it with SHIELD database. They get a match: Reed Richards, but he looks more like Sean Penn! Cue older Reed as conceived by Marvel Studios, who is a genius family man but doesn't have any powers yet, but then he gets brought in to defeat his younger alternate self, and the whole ordeal makes him curious about the existence of a multiverse so he forms an expedition crew with his wife and brother in law and best friend, etc etc.

Btw, it is important that The Maker never meets Killmonger and they never make any hacky meta jokes.

Dukefrukem
08-22-2017, 06:35 PM
Btw, it is important that The Maker never meets Killmonger and they never make any hacky meta jokes.

lol!

Dukefrukem
08-22-2017, 06:46 PM
As a huge fan of these films, it's very eerie to me knowing they are filming Avengers 4 and we don't even know what the title is... AND we don't know what the future holds post-Avengers 4.

transmogrifier
08-22-2017, 09:23 PM
As a huge fan of these films, it's very eerie to me knowing they are filming Avengers 4 and we don't even know what the title is... AND we don't know what the future holds post-Avengers 4.

Modern mainstream cinema, everyone. Once upon a time, kids, movies were independent things.

Dukefrukem
08-22-2017, 09:49 PM
Modern mainstream cinema, everyone. Once upon a time, kids, movies were independent things.

Doesnt mean it always has to be that way.

transmogrifier
08-22-2017, 11:19 PM
Why is it "eerie" that you don't know what is happening after Avengers 4? Like....why?

Dukefrukem
08-22-2017, 11:28 PM
Why is it "eerie" that you don't know what is happening after Avengers 4? Like....why?

Just nevermind.

transmogrifier
08-22-2017, 11:39 PM
I don't know - it's just a weird mindset that studios are trying to instill in the audiences, turning each new movie into a trailer for the next few movies in the pipeline, and eventually have people getting excited about release dates 5 years in the future. It's tiring and limiting.And I don't know where you guys get the interest to pursue the TV shows....

Dukefrukem
08-22-2017, 11:58 PM
.And I don't know where you guys get the interest to pursue the TV shows....

Childhood.

Dukefrukem
09-04-2017, 01:25 AM
Excellent fan made supercut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEBjh_MTNzQ

Grouchy
09-04-2017, 05:57 PM
Hated what they did with the color correction.

Dukefrukem
09-07-2017, 02:10 PM
FYI, Thor 3 tickets on sale.

Dukefrukem
09-07-2017, 10:16 PM
Oh shit.

Drew Goddard writing and directing an X-FORCE movie starring Deadpool and Cable

http://deadline.com/2017/09/x-force-drew-goddard-director-ryan-reynolds-x-men-cable-josh-brolin-fox-1202163706/

Ezee E
09-07-2017, 11:27 PM
Oh shit.

Drew Goddard writing and directing an X-FORCE movie starring Deadpool and Cable

http://deadline.com/2017/09/x-force-drew-goddard-director-ryan-reynolds-x-men-cable-josh-brolin-fox-1202163706/

I can get down with that.

May Danny Trejo get to be Forge.

number8
09-28-2017, 03:19 PM
Uh, Michelle Williams and Riz Ahmed cast in Venom.

This movie is weird.

Dukefrukem
09-28-2017, 03:21 PM
I still don't believe this movie is being made.

Irish
09-30-2017, 05:39 PM
Can someone give me the short course on what exactly the difference is between an Inhuman, an X-Man, and a "Gifted"? Aren't they all just mutants---humanoids with difference genetics and special powers?

(Also, the new Inhumans show is laughably bad. I sorta love its awfulness.)

Grouchy
09-30-2017, 05:50 PM
Well, The Gifted show is about traditional mutants. So, yeah, they're the same as X-Men. They're a "natural" mutation.

The Inhumans, on the other hand, were artificially mutated in order to fight the Skrulls as pawns in the Kree-Skrull wars.

Irish
09-30-2017, 07:05 PM
Well, The Gifted show is about traditional mutants. So, yeah, they're the same as X-Men. They're a "natural" mutation.

The Inhumans, on the other hand, were artificially mutated in order to fight the Skrulls as pawns in the Kree-Skrull wars.

Ah, thanks! That helps.

So are the Inhumans on Agents of SHIELD the same as the Inhumans on, uh, "The Inhumans"?

Grouchy
09-30-2017, 07:12 PM
Hahah no idea, really. I gave up on SHIELD after three or four really bad episodes.

Irish
09-30-2017, 07:16 PM
Hahah no idea, really. I gave up on SHIELD after three or four really bad episodes.

Ha, fair enough. Thanks, man.

Grouchy
09-30-2017, 07:41 PM
Ha, fair enough. Thanks, man.
I can tell you this - the characters in the Inhumans TV show are the Royal Family. They were the first to appear in the pages of Fantastic Four and most Inhumans comics are about them - but they rule a hidden kingdom where everyone is an Inhuman. My guess is that the ones who appeared on SHIELD are either supporting characters from the comics or made up for the show, since, like mutants, you can invent anyone you want since it's unclear how many there are.

EDIT: I'm curious if I nailed the Batman page you were thinking about in the DC thread.

Irish
09-30-2017, 08:17 PM
EDIT: I'm curious if I nailed the Batman page you were thinking about in the DC thread.

Sorry about that -- meant to reply further. The panel featuring Gordon in the lower left hand corner seemed familiar. I'm pretty sure that was it! I appreciate your digging it up. Solves a longtime mystery for me.

Milky Joe
10-01-2017, 12:16 AM
Ah, thanks! That helps.

So are the Inhumans on Agents of SHIELD the same as the Inhumans on, uh, "The Inhumans"?

They are the same 'type' but the Inhumans show has no crossover with AoS.

number8
10-01-2017, 06:50 PM
Want a deep behind the scenes reasons for the conflagration of inhumans and mutants? Because it's all Fox's doing. 20th Century Fox is responsible for how big the inhumans are now in Marvel after decades of obscurity.

Because they own the mutants' film rights and Marvel can't have them in the MCU, right? But Marvel owner Ike Perlmutter found out that the Marvel universe has a super powered race called inhumans that are as varied as the mutants, except they're a smaller number of alien hybrids rather than worldwide genetically evolved civil rights analogies, so Ike ordered a multi-prong assault to elevate the status of inhumans. This includes forcing Kevin Feige to announce an Inhumans movie against his wishes, ordering the SHIELD show to start introducing the inhuman concept, and getting the Comics to do this event book called Inhumanity where Black Bolt sets off a Terrigen Bomb that reveals a significant number of earth's population as inhumans, outnumbering the mutants. Also they killed Professor X and cancelled a bunch of X-Men books. Just really petty shit.

And then Feige got annoyed and went directly to Disney to request a separation between Marvel Studios and Marvel Entertainment so he doesn't have to deal with Ike anymore. As soon as that's finalized, Feige killed the Inhumans movie he never wanted. So now Marvel has a TV show like SHIELD that's doing a lot of (admittedly great) groundwork for something that's not gonna be the next big thing. Not willing to let that go to waste, the Inhumans show then got greenlit. Nobody else wanted it, but here it is.

Dukefrukem
10-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Rumor: Daniel Craig Eyed To Play Mr. Sinister In The GAMBIT .......

Ezee E
10-03-2017, 04:42 PM

Well, that's great casting

TGM
10-03-2017, 04:42 PM
Is that Gambit movie even still happening?

Dukefrukem
10-03-2017, 04:44 PM
Depends on how much credit you put into the source

http://splashreport.com/exclusive-daniel-craig-lucky-bond-gambit/

Irish
10-04-2017, 03:51 PM
Did anyone watch "The Gifted"? What did you think?

Dukefrukem
10-06-2017, 01:11 PM

Gore Verbinski in talks to direct

Ezee E
10-06-2017, 01:33 PM

Is Channing Tatum still Gambit?

number8
10-06-2017, 02:05 PM
Is Channing Tatum still Gambit?

I don't think they would still be making the movie at all if Tatum dropped out. He seems to be the only person willing this project into existence throughout the years.

[ETM]
10-06-2017, 08:47 PM
Wrong thread?

Dukefrukem
10-06-2017, 09:34 PM
Yes... not sure how I did that....

Dukefrukem
10-12-2017, 12:35 PM
Is this a common thing for directors to do? Favreau's presences is interesting.

Was lucky enough to be invited to the Thor: Ragnarok Premiere last night.
And I loved it. I sat in the "director's row" with the Jons (Favreau and Watts) and Captain Marvel's Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, and Favreau and I laughed loudly, perhaps even inappropriately so, at nearly everything Jeff Goldblum did. In fact, I might say the Grandmaster is my new favorite character in the Marvel universe if it weren't that Miek makes his debut in this film.

If I ever die, and go to heaven, the first thing I'm going to see are all my dead pets. And then God will lead us all over to a screening room where I can watch an epic Miek trilogy.

Anyway... I don't think any film of the modern era has captured the batshit crazy fun of 80's classics like Flash Gordon and Buckaroo Banzai as well as Taika Waititi has here. I felt like I was fourteen watching a magical VHS tape that exploded into something grand. It's the most colorful of all Marvel films -- I mean, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is practically sepia-tone in comparison -- and it's also the funniest.

I think Chris Hemsworth is finally able to go full-Thor and full-Hemsworth, charming and hilarious. Tessa Thompson is perfect as Valkyrie (my other new favorite character), and Taika as Korg steals every scene he's in. In casting that role, I think Taika was very lucky that Kronans have the same exact accent as New Zealanders.

I told Mark Ruffalo on Friday night he was the greatest actor in the world, and he didn't let me down. I didn't think Hulk could get better that he was in the first Avengers, but I think he's captured here as well or better than he's ever been captured in film OR comics.

So, please, go see this freaking movie, unless you're one of the people on Twitter who tweeted me last night that comic book movies aren't supposed to be fun. I don't quite get that but, you know, if that's your thing, all good

Dukefrukem
10-12-2017, 11:05 PM

Dated: Valentine's Day 2019

http://deadline.com/2017/10/channing-tatum-gambit-to-open-valentines-day-2019-release-1202187558/

Peng
10-13-2017, 08:18 AM
Never follow the news so I'm intrigued that (from the trailer) they seem to make a superhero film that has another genre be more prominent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu9e410C__I

Skitch
10-13-2017, 11:38 AM
I don't know much about the New Mutants, but is this accurate? A haunted house?

number8
10-13-2017, 12:42 PM
No, they're just deliberately turning it into a horror movie to make it unique. I'm into it.

Dukefrukem
10-13-2017, 12:49 PM
Me too. Completely different direction from what we're used to.

number8
10-13-2017, 12:58 PM
Unique for movies, that is, since television already has an X-Men horror.

TGM
10-13-2017, 02:46 PM
Somewhere, Josh Trank is pissed.

Ivan Drago
10-13-2017, 04:16 PM
Somewhere, Josh Trank is pissed.

He's on the farm where Chad Michael Murray and Thora Birch went.

And I dig it, too. It looks awesome.

Why can't the X-Men team-up movies be as focused as this, Deadpool and Logan?

Skitch
10-13-2017, 05:46 PM
Oh I'm down for it, I just didn't know if there was a precedent for this in the books.

number8
10-13-2017, 06:01 PM
Sort of. The movie is an adaptation of the first appearance of Demon Bear, where the New Mutants are trapped in a hospital during a snowstorm while a bear spirit stalks them and the people in the hospital. It was a superhero story with a slasher movie set up, but this seems to be turning it into a full-fledged haunted house movie.

Skitch
10-13-2017, 08:13 PM
Fuck that's rad.

Dukefrukem
10-14-2017, 01:20 PM
I remember posting here than THor 3 was oging to be 90 minutes. Well I guess that was a joke, because it's actually 130 minutes.

Dukefrukem
10-16-2017, 02:05 PM
Mmmmhmmmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDjIWPwcPU

Dukefrukem
10-16-2017, 02:12 PM
Very Blade Runner inspired!

https://imgur.com/a/R4ABm

Wryan
10-16-2017, 02:42 PM
Sweet Jaybus! Looks awesome. Marvel dropping shit outta the sky for us without warning. Good feeling.

Dead & Messed Up
10-16-2017, 04:11 PM
Looking forward to Ryan Coogler's worst film.

Henry Gale
10-16-2017, 04:26 PM
Fuuuuuck. That Vince Staples x Gil Scott-Heron blending with the massive trailer sent me into hyperdrive of hype.

Like, the footage is crazy too. But it's also basically the music video for the best track that doesn't exist anywhere else. (Censored or not, you gotta love Disney signing of on, knowingly or not, using these tracks, with the lyrics they have.)

The movies can underwhelm all they want, but Ragnarok and this might be the best trailers Marvel have ever cut.

TGM
10-16-2017, 04:30 PM
I'm with you on Ragnarok, but I've found both of these Black Panther trailers to be pretty "eh". Though this one is better than the previous one...

Dukefrukem
10-16-2017, 04:32 PM
I said it before- the next 3 Marvel movies will be the best movies they've released to date.

Grouchy
10-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Damn, it looks very cool but I hope the whole soundtrack is not rap music.

number8
10-16-2017, 07:00 PM
It's the least they could do after making a space adventure full of yacht rock.

Irish
10-16-2017, 07:10 PM
Disney using Gil Scott-Heron's "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" to advertise "Black Panther" is like the GOP using Springsteen's "Born in the USA" during a presidential campaign.

Like, did they listen to the lyrics? Are they kidding me with this shit?

Ivan Drago
10-16-2017, 07:19 PM
This looks so awesome, it could be the best and most unique movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

But I also said that about Doctor Strange and Spider-Man Homecoming.

transmogrifier
10-16-2017, 11:29 PM
"You get to decide the kind of king you want to be"
"Son, it is your time."

*yawn*

The same cookie cutter story in a slightly different package is my prediction.

Grouchy
10-17-2017, 12:01 AM
The same cookie cutter story in a slightly different package is my prediction.
Well, dude... I'm all for films and filmmakers trying something different, and I've always been against "check your brain at the door" advice, but you have to cut Marvel some slack at this point. They have a proven formula, they stick to it, but they keep a fairly high bar of quality. Not every film has been good, but there also haven't been any bad ones. And if you think that is not an accomplisment on itself, look at the clusterfuck that the DC adaptations have been.

I hope more Marvel movies step outside their comfort zone. Ant-Man and Dr. Strange in particular were too obviously riffing on Iron Man despite the second one being visually gorgeous. But this looks good and the depiction of a pulpy concept like Wakanda on screen makes me happy.

transmogrifier
10-17-2017, 01:15 AM
Well, dude... I'm all for films and filmmakers trying something different, and I've always been against "check your brain at the door" advice, but you have to cut Marvel some slack at this point. They have a proven formula, they stick to it, but they keep a fairly high bar of quality. Not every film has been good, but there also haven't been any bad ones. And if you think that is not an accomplisment on itself, look at the clusterfuck that the DC adaptations have been.

I wasn’t expecting anything different. I’m just saying, is all.

TGM
10-17-2017, 02:42 AM
I might be more excited for Black Panther had Marvel not deliberately and maliciously swooped in to steal my thunder, suddenly posting their trailer on the same day I release some new Ninja Kat chapters.

https://media.tenor.com/images/3edf227419effe5a1bcb589b4be9e1 dd/tenor.gif

Peng
10-17-2017, 04:01 AM
Looking forward to Ryan Coogler's worst film.

I'm eh on Fruitvale Station so this has a high chance of surpassing it. Doubt (but would be pleasantly surprised) if this comes close to Creed which I love though.

Watashi
10-17-2017, 05:04 AM
I'm excited about the talent involved, but nothing so far has wowed me from any trailer. T'Challa is great, but this looks way too CGI heavy for me to care.

Dead & Messed Up
10-17-2017, 03:17 PM
It's funny 'cause the lighting and shooting style looks so classically dull Marvel style but the aesthetic really is something. Sorta like how Dr. Strange alternated between truly surreal psychedelic-scapes and high key narrow focus medium shots.

Ezee E
10-18-2017, 05:07 AM
Is the villain in The New Mutants, a female version of Arcade?

Dukefrukem
10-21-2017, 10:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpTdK2kn6TA

Winston*
10-21-2017, 11:57 PM
Taika rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sorMiDJ-J-A

Skitch
10-22-2017, 03:08 AM
Please god, let him make his vision of Akira.

Dukefrukem
10-24-2017, 01:34 PM
So I guess this is getting made

Neclord
10-24-2017, 11:04 PM
Looks more like The Invisible Man

Skitch
10-24-2017, 11:26 PM
I find this weirdness more interesting than most announced.

Ezee E
10-25-2017, 12:33 AM
Probably the next great comic book movie.

Dukefrukem
11-06-2017, 06:36 PM
Oh fuck. And we all thought they were holding off announcing Phase 4 because of the Avengers 4 title!

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21st-century-fox-has-been-holding-talks-to-sell-most-of-company-to-disney-sources.html

Ivan Drago
11-06-2017, 07:22 PM
Oh fuck. And we all thought they were holding off announcing Phase 4 because of the Avengers 4 title!

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21st-century-fox-has-been-holding-talks-to-sell-most-of-company-to-disney-sources.html

RIP R-rated superhero films. On top of that, RIP imagination in Hollywood. Soon theaters will just be full of cookie cutter, formulaic, lazy, passable blockbusters that all look and sound the same thanks to giant corporations like Disney. It's fucking disheartening.

Dukefrukem
11-06-2017, 07:30 PM
RIP R-rated superhero films. On top of that, RIP imagination in Hollywood. Soon theaters will just be full of cookie cutter, formulaic, lazy, passable blockbusters that all look and sound the same thanks to giant corporations like Disney. It's fucking disheartening.

Not for me. I really hope the theater model breaks and the only thing you can watch in the theater is in tiny indie movies. So sick of the disrespectful theater experiences.

PPV from here.

Skitch
11-06-2017, 07:48 PM
RIP R-rated superhero films.

We'll still have WB.

*he says, only slightly sarcasticly

Dukefrukem
11-06-2017, 07:49 PM
BTw, this move would also bolster Disney's streaming platform with Fox films... I could ultimately see Netflix dying because of this deal. The catalog of Disney would be unquestionably worth the $14/month

Skitch
11-06-2017, 07:55 PM
Couldn't they still make R-rated comic book movies under the "other" label of 21st Century Fox?

Dukefrukem
11-06-2017, 08:06 PM
Couldn't they still make R-rated comic book movies under the "other" label of 21st Century Fox?

All I am doing right now is imagining the possibilities of this.

For instance: can you imagine a real Deadpool movie, where everyone in the Avengers i playing it straight, and Deadpool is interacting with every member of the Avengers. Captain America vs Deadpool. Stark vs Deadpool. Thor vs Deadpool (comedicly, not in a fight).

Sycophant
11-06-2017, 08:17 PM
Does Disney invest anymore in smaller-scale, auteur-driven productions through any of their labels like they would through Miramax? I wonder what this sale would mean for the likes of Fox Searchlight.

Sycophant
11-06-2017, 08:18 PM
I'm pretty bummed about the prospect of more consolidation, tbh.

megladon8
11-06-2017, 09:26 PM
I see no reason why this means no more R rated superhero movies. That’s silly.

I’m bummed this didn’t happen sooner.

I have a massive crush on Hugh Jackman and find him exhilarating to watch as Wolverine. I wish he had gotten to do his dream Wolverine vs Hulk fight.

TGM
11-06-2017, 09:27 PM
Not for me. I really hope the theater model breaks and the only thing you can watch in the theater is in tiny indie movies. So sick of the disrespectful theater experiences.

PPV from here.

Did you just watch the RLM review of Thor: Ragnarok?

Ivan Drago
11-06-2017, 09:31 PM
CNBC (and Bloomberg) apparently said the deal was dead. So that's a relief for now.

Sorry if my post about it was too angry; I was on planes all night last night and didn't get a lot of sleep. The stresses of trying to handle flight delays is real.

Dead & Messed Up
11-06-2017, 09:37 PM
CNBC apparently said the deal was dead. So that's a relief for now.

Sorry if my post about it was too angry; I was on planes all night last night and didn't get a lot of sleep. The stresses of trying to handle flight delays is real.

I'm with you, though. This consolidation is bonkers, and the idea of a vertically integrated Disney that seeks to simply own the majority of Hollywood studios is objectively awful and horrifying.

Grouchy
11-06-2017, 10:51 PM
I'm with you, though. This consolidation is bonkers, and the idea of a vertically integrated Disney that seeks to simply own the majority of Hollywood studios is objectively awful and horrifying.
Yeah, seriously. Forget about the Wolverine vs. Hulk fight. That's fiction. The real issue here for me is that a gigantic media conglomerate with the same head bosses is always a bad idea.

Dukefrukem
11-06-2017, 11:54 PM
Did you just watch the RLM review of Thor: Ragnarok?

Yes and it made me think of this (http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showthread.php?6282-Would-you-pay-50-to-see-a-first-run-movie-at-home&p=552578&viewfull=1#post552578).

Dukefrukem
11-06-2017, 11:56 PM
CNBC (and Bloomberg) apparently said the deal was dead. So that's a relief for now.

Those headlines are misleading. They said they aren't talking right now. Which just means after talks (at some point) they went back to their respective corners to think about it some more.

Deal makes sense for Disney.

Irish
11-07-2017, 12:31 AM
This seems to be mostly about TV, with film as an afterthought.

The big media consolidation boat sailed a long time ago. I don't see the sense in worrying about it now. There's already no variety at the multiplex; going from 6 Hollywood studios to 5 likely won't change that. We'll still get the same mass produced tentpoles made by one media conglomerate, pushed through channels owned by another media conglomerate. So what?

I'm more worried about AT&T owning Time Warner and Sinclair Broadcasting buying up local stations. (Although I'm not wild about the idea of Disney owning F/X.)

Netflix et al could be fucked if Comcast and AT&T manage to gut net neutrality in the US, and it looks increasingly likely that they will be able to do it. Telecoms are the worst industry in a terrible system and it'll be ugly if they manage to assert even more control over open pipes.

But ... I do get a cynical chuckle out of people wringing their hands over this when they'll eagerly buy opening day tickets to "Thor: Ragnarok" and "Star Wars: Whatever." The cognitive dissonance doesn't seem to register. It's like: Hey, Disney is free to beat the culture into a coma, but I really take issue when they might beat it to death! Yeah, uh, okay.

Dukefrukem
11-07-2017, 12:09 PM
If you guys had to guess, what percentage of Disney's revenue comes from their TV and Film studios, would you think those to areas would be MORE or LESS than their revenue gained through parks and resorts?

(I have the answer)

Grouchy
11-07-2017, 12:14 PM
I'd wager it's marginally less.

Skitch
11-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Id guess a lot less. All the stuff they sell at those parks alone...hell, the movies are probably just 2.5 hour advertisements for the real money makers.

Dukefrukem
11-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Total 55.6 Billion in revenue

Breakdown:

DISNEY
Parks/Resorts 17
Cable Networks 16.6
Broadcasting 7.1
Film Studio 9.4
Consumer Products 5.5

Film & TV 26 represents 47% of their rev
Film TV and Broad 33.1 represents 60% of their rev
Parks/Resorts 17 rep 31% of their rev

If you add in the Fox deal... that would bring it to:

Film & TV 50.3 = 59%
Film TV and Broad 63 = 74%
Parks/Resorts 20%

I was surprised to see how much their parks bring in compared to their other divisions. And equally surprised to see that Fox had an equal share in TV.