Page 2378 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 13781878227823282368237623772378237923802388242824782878 ... LastLast
Results 59,426 to 59,450 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    Hmm, I didn't expect to like Carnage and Shame more than Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. This last month or so that I've spent catching up with the remaining 2011 releases I was really excited for has proved underwhelming, nothing has been anywhere near breaking the list I finalized for our award stuff. Oh well, there are still a few more I'm firmly intent on seeing, after which I think I'll move on for now.
    This reminds me that I rented A Dangerous Method, kept it for a few days, and never could get up the enthusiasm to watch it. Weird since I'm a pretty huge Cronenberg fan.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    This reminds me that I rented A Dangerous Method, kept it for a few days, and never could get up the enthusiasm to watch it. Weird since I'm a pretty huge Cronenberg fan.
    I'm sure some around here, and certainly many critics, would disagree, but I found it to be a distinctly minor effort by Cronenberg standards. Isn't Scanners widely considered to be one of his weakest? I'd watch that again over A Dangerous Method almost any day. It was perfectly fine mind you, and far more illustrative of his thematic preoccupations than I anticipated, but in the end it left me pretty indifferent.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I prefer High Noon over Rio Bravo, actually (irrelevant since both are great movies). Which reminds me that I need to bump my westerns thread again-I believe I last left it on #10.

God help me I enjoyed Immortals (2011) a lot. I can agree with what some of DaMU said although my rating is a bit higher (no surprise there) and I actually would view a sequel if they ever made one. Also this movie just makes me a bit depressed that we are getting Wraith of the Titans this year, a film that looks as joyless and soulless as its predecessor.

Heh I've seen Piranha 2: The Spawning. It is indeed godawful in a rather hilarious way, and poor James Cameron was brought in to try and fix the picture. Not even he could do it.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

When Kenji Mizoguchi and Satyajit Ray dolly, they make magic.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

45 minutes into 2010's Skyline, and I'm surprised it's pretty non-awful. Perhaps it's going to derail spectacularly in the final stretch, but so far it's got my attention...somewhat.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

The Sound of Insects: Record of a Mummy (Peter Liechti, 2009) pro +

A description of Swiss filmmaker Liechti's adaptation of Masahiko Shimada's novel (based on true events) would seem like a hard sell: the film is a collection of images, over which an unseen narrator chronicles the final sixty-plus days of the protaganist's life, as recorded in a diary, from the time he first decides to build an encampment in a remote forest to begin a quest to commit suicide by starvation. Although the film won the 2009 European Film Awards for best documentary, many critics questioned that praise, saying that the film provided no context, and hence the viewer learned nothing about the subject (who he was, why he wanted to die, etc).

That is all true. We don't really learn anything. The film is comprised of the reading of journal entries, sometmes wistful, sometimes philosophical, sometimes matter-of-fact (Day 32: "Today I had a bowel movement"), but nearly always compelling as the viewer gains insight into the mind of a man who has resigned himself to (and is at peace with) his decision.

Sound and visuals are crucial in portraying the man's painfully slow journey towards death. The constant sounds of insects and the images of remote woodlands eventually give way to increasingly hallucinogenic imaginings of abstractions and visions of possible past memories, along with mininmalist ambient electronics that waver between comfort and creepiness. And it's all grounded by the man's gradual acclimation to the inevitable.

You may come away learning nothing, but that's ok. It's not really a film that teaches. It's a film that shares. If you are on its wavelength (and that's probably a big if), you will come away enriched. That's all I got.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Love these;

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    There's probably a good movie to be made with that script, but High Noon wasn't it, mostly for he reasons Raiders notes.

Not sure what you could find obnoxious about Rio Bravo. Maybe the slightly forced romance or Ricky Martin's presence but .. Other than that?
    Raiders only complaint above (aside from the political subtext which I pushed aside as only of tangential significance) is that Cooper's performance is not interesting. I don't agree. High Noon is a very well constructed film and I think setting it in real time for much of it's run time really works in it's favor. You feel the passage of time ticking by and it's significance.

---

Rio Bravo... the song, the buddy/buddy friendship, the general attitude of the film. I find it's insistence that I buy into it's charms obnoxious in and of itself. Overall I'm not much of a fan of Hawks. I like a couple of his films but I am often underwhelmed by the overall attitude of his films. I won't even say it's the dramatic direction exactly because they're well acted but I am not enthusiastic about his aesthetic (beyond the visual, the way he looks at the world). His Girl Friday, Bringing Up Baby and Red River (minus the shit ending) are probably my favorites from him. I also like The Big Sleep, Man's Favorite Sport and Only Angels Have Wings. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, The Big Sky, Scarface and Sergeant York I find extremely problematic.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Raiders only complaint above (aside from the political subtext which I pushed aside as only of tangential significance) is that Cooper's performance is not interesting. I don't agree. High Noon is a very well constructed film and I think setting it in real time for much of it's run time really works in it's favor. You feel the passage of time ticking by and it's significance.
    Agreed, which is why, even if it was a product of silly McCarthyist paranoia, it's still a good film. Even a great one, possibly.
    Last 5 Viewed

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    Rio Bravo... the song, the buddy/buddy friendship, the general attitude of the film. I find it's insistence that I buy into it's charms obnoxious in and of itself. Overall I'm not much of a fan of Hawks. I like a couple of his films but I am often underwhelmed by the overall attitude of his films. I won't even say it's the dramatic direction exactly because they're well acted but I am not enthusiastic about his aesthetic (beyond the visual, the way he looks at the world). His Girl Friday, Bringing Up Baby and Red River (minus the shit ending) are probably my favorites from him. I also like The Big Sleep, Man's Favorite Sport and Only Angels Have Wings. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, The Big Sky, Scarface and Sergeant York I find extremely problematic.
    If you're bored & inclined, expand more on the bolded part. (Doesn't every movie require a certain amount of buy-in?). As it stands, it sounds like you just hate Dean Martin. :P

Agreed on your list. But I think that's enough. I mean, most people would give their right arm to make a half dozen movies as good as the ones you named here.

Diary of a Country Priest might be my new favorite Bresson. Kierkegaardian faith vis-?*-vis existential crisis and illness. The sequence involving the countess and the priest is brilliant.
    Last 5 Viewed

Not sure why, but I acquired Transformers 3 and watched it last night. It's a shame Michael Bay sucks in so many other ways, because sometimes he can really put a starkly beautiful shot or moment together. And his action scenes can be pretty bold and fun. The visuals and effects and action are so crisp and eye-popping, you can practically see Bay furiously beating off while he yells at his editors to speed up the dialogue scenes. Movie was funnier than I thought it would be, though.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Brightside: "acquire" Kirsanoff's Rapt (The Kidnapping) immediately. One of the best films ever made, I'm already convinced. Can't imagine you not loving this one. Heck, everyone should see it, but you sprung to mind first.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Brightside: "acquire" Kirsanoff's Rapt (The Kidnapping) immediately. One of the best films ever made, I'm already convinced. Can't imagine you not loving this one. Heck, everyone should see it, but you sprung to mind first.
    I'm not Brightside, but I am currently "acquiring" it. Sounds fascinating.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

I finally got off my ass and watched Claire Denis' L'Intrus. Someone on this site told me it wasn't any less accessible than her more well-known work; well, they were wrong. The only honest assessment I can give is 'I don't get it'. At least it's not boring like Friday Night (plenty of wacky things happen here; hearts get cut out, people are dragged through the snow by horses, there's trips to exotic lands, colorful christenings of ships- I didn't understand the significance of any of it, but there's quite a bit of variety), but where I feel that with Beau Travail and Trouble Every Day she strikes a perfect balance between elliptical, fascinating storytelling and giving the audience enough to work with, here she tipped too heavily towards the first, to the point where it isn't even that fascinating, just mostly confusing. Maybe it's a film that can improve with a later viewing after I've read about and know what happens at least on a surface level; as it is, it continued the trend with Denis where I only like every other film I watch from her. I guess this means the next one I see should be pretty good.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Okay, so like, I don't get how Universal Soldier: Regeneration was as good as it was.
    I was very surprised with this one today. Overall, I quite enjoyed it, and The Pit Bull was impressive. Of course, being an MMA vet makes his fights scenes all that much better.

The one part that didn't sit well with me was when:

[
    ]

EDIT: Also, it needed more Dolph.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I actually have that on my hard drive already. I might try and give it a watch tonight. I'm glad you thought of me. If only you thought of me half as often as I think of you... while I'm alone... in my bed... and my hands are wandering down my torso... I'll stop.
    Last 5 Viewed

Raiders/Russ/B-side - You all seen Kirsanoff's Menilemontant? If not, do so post haste. Best axe murder in cinema history this side of L'Argent.

I'm all over Rapt - sounds great.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Raiders/Russ/B-side - You all seen Kirsanoff's Menilemontant? If not, do so post haste. Best axe murder in cinema history this side of L'Argent.
    I watched it a while ago under less than ideal circumstances, so I need to rewatch it.

Speaking of L'Argent, I've been wanting to rewatch that. Was my favorite Bresson when I watched it, then I watched The Devil, Probably, which then became my favorite, then I watched Mouchette, which was then my favorite until I watched Diary of a Country Priest.:P
    Last 5 Viewed

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)

I'm all over Rapt - sounds great.
    I know Raiders has seen it as well. One of the best silent films.

Rewatched Do The Right Thing... I'm impressed that it remains completely relevant to today, despite the pop culture differences and changes in fashion (man, it was bad).

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Raiders, I gotta hand it to you. I'm in 100% agreement with you on this. Absolutely breathtaking. I've never seen anything quite like it, certainly not of its era. The second half is riveting stuff: I wanted to rewatch it almost immediately. Astonishing use of non-diegetic sound used for wind, lightning, bells -- the thunderstorm sequence after the festival was brilliant. And when you add the masterful direction and cinematography, this really is an unforgettable film that needs to be rewatched, absorbed, studied and dissected.

In other words, this is a major discovery that has my highest praise. Now, I got to get my hands on Menilemontant.

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Raiders, I gotta hand it to you. I'm in 100% agreement with you on this. Absolutely breathtaking. I've never seen anything quite like it, certainly not of its era. The second half is riveting stuff: I wanted to rewatch it almost immediately. Astonishing use of non-diegetic sound used for wind, lightning, bells -- the thunderstorm sequence after the festival was brilliant. And when you add the masterful direction and cinematography, this really is an unforgettable film that needs to be rewatched, absorbed, studied and dissected.

In other words, this is a major discovery that has my highest praise. Now, I got to get my hands on Menilemontant.
    That one's easy to find - where did you find Rapt at?

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    If between work, family and 2am feedings I can find time I really want to write something in-depth on the experience of watching Kirsanoff's film. Suffice to say though, that even if I have seen a mere fraction of a fraction of cinema there is to see, I really had begun to feel like I had sampled what it had to offer. After Deren, Anger, Conner, Man Ray, Kirsanoff himself, modern guys like Arnold and Tscherkassky, not to mention every non avant-garde filmmaker who paved cinema streets, I didn't really expect to find something that felt "new." Yet, Kirsanoff's film felt like a discovery, like something that even 80 years later was unique unto itself and gave me an appreciation for cinema techniques and possibilities I hadn't seen before. Such a phenomenal achievement.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    That one's easy to find - where did you find Rapt at?
    Quote Quoting Brightside
    HE GOT IT FROM A DVD HE BOUGHT WITH CURRENCY

(check yr pms for rs links)