PDA

View Full Version : The TV Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53

Kurosawa Fan
05-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Prediction: within 2 years, CBS will have a variety/talk show up against Jay Leno. ABC will probably try one, too.

If this comes to fruition, I have another prediction: KF will be watching significantly less TV.

Sycophant
05-19-2009, 04:01 PM
If Leno's show proves successful at all (and I suspect it will, considering how many people actually seem to like him for whatever reason--he'll pick up a lot of the people who've stopped watching late night TV as they've gotten older because they need to sleep), everyone will want to try to pull off the same thing. Cheap, highly-rated television in primetime? Networks couldn't ask for more.

EvilShoe
05-19-2009, 04:22 PM
30 Rock. And no, Dexter doesn't count. Plus we'll have FNL if you choose to download them after they air on DirecTV. And Community, because Joel McHale is brilliant, despite Winston's ridiculous claims.
I don't see how season 4 can be bad. Sounds like they're really taking risks:

Further complicating Dexter's intricate balancing act will be a new, as-yet-uncast male antagonist who will "cross paths with Dexter in a major, dramatic way," teases Colleton. "He will illuminate a lot about Dexter's life and force him to make some tough choices." (Word is they're looking for a "Jeff Daniels-type" to play the role.)

FNL! I forgot.
That one has me excited. (And yes, I will download the eps that air on DirecTV. It's not like I get NBC over here.)

I'll check out Community if the buzz is positive.

Kurosawa Fan
05-19-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't see how season 4 can be bad. Sounds like they're really taking risks:

Further complicating Dexter's intricate balancing act will be a new, as-yet-uncast male antagonist who will "cross paths with Dexter in a major, dramatic way," teases Colleton. "He will illuminate a lot about Dexter's life and force him to make some tough choices." (Word is they're looking for a "Jeff Daniels-type" to play the role.)

:lol:

Yeah, because we haven't done that before. Blech. I'm done with that show. Didn't finish last season, and that synopsis doesn't make me want to. I also read somewhere that Deb is going to come closer to finding out about Dexter's mom, and finding out who Dexter really is. Sounds like desperation to me.

Mara
05-19-2009, 04:32 PM
I have no television shows on anymore.

Hm.

Is "The Guild" any good?

EvilShoe
05-19-2009, 04:34 PM

Yeah, because we haven't done that before. Blech. I'm done with that show. Didn't finish last season, and that synopsis doesn't make me want to. I also read somewhere that Deb is going to come closer to finding out about Dexter's mom, and finding out who Dexter really is. Sounds like desperation to me.
Eh, I'll probably give it another chance because of how much I enjoyed the first two seasons.
If it's anything like season 3, I'll probably give up real fast though.

Ezee E
05-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I think this Leno thing will work out well for them too. Even if it gets moderate ratings, it'll probably help the company more.

How are 30 Rock's ratings anyway? That show doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon.

Kurosawa Fan
05-19-2009, 05:32 PM
How are 30 Rock's ratings anyway? That show doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon.

They're just fine. It's not going anywhere any time soon unless Tina Fey decides to move on to something else. Or Alec Baldwin or Tracy Morgan.

Dead & Messed Up
05-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I think this Leno thing will work out well for them too. Even if it gets moderate ratings, it'll probably help the company more.

The ratings aren't great (I think it's somewhere around 75th place), but that's still substantially better than its last two seasons.

Henry Gale
05-19-2009, 07:06 PM
I really don't understand why NBC is waiting until midseason to bring back 30 Rock.

If they have one show that people outside of regular network viewers are going to tune in for, it's that. Plus it's more than likely going to win an Emmy or two in September, and if there's still a few people who see stuff like that and go "maybe I should watch that", they'll likely forget by February.

EDIT: Alright, it seems NBC confused a lot of people in their wording and it'll likely be back sometime in the fall after all but Joel McHale's show is taking its timeslot for a while.

Kurosawa Fan
05-19-2009, 07:13 PM
I really don't understand why NBC is waiting until midseason to bring back 30 Rock.

If they have one show that people outside of regular network viewers are going to tune in for, it's that. Plus it's more than likely going to win an Emmy or two in September, and if there's still a few people who see stuff like that and go "maybe I should watch that", they'll likely forget by February.

EDIT: Alright, it seems NBC confused a lot of people in their wording and it'll likely be back sometime in the fall after all.

It's only holding off until after the SNL Thursday shows (of which there are four I think? Maybe six). After that it will take the 9:30 slot and Community will start up at 8:00.

Henry Gale
05-19-2009, 07:41 PM
It's only holding off until after the SNL Thursday shows (of which there are four I think? Maybe six). After that it will take the 9:30 slot and Community will start up at 8:00.

Alright good, that was how I hoped I was understanding it in my edit. Just a lot of TV sites still have the headline "30 Rock returns midseason" which is what initially caught me offguard. And Community looks like it could be really good, so I have no problem seeing that in in place of 30 Rock for a short while.

The Mike
05-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Is "The Guild" any good?That's a big yes from me, but mostly for Felicia. She's so cutez.

number8
05-20-2009, 05:17 AM
Glee was exactly as I said it would be. Baffling at times, but oddly great.

Journey at the end sealed the deal, though. I will definitely be watching.

Acapelli
05-20-2009, 09:34 AM

yeah i loved it

don't want to wait till september to keep watching

Mara
05-20-2009, 12:20 PM

Ridiculously fun. The cast was excellent-- there are a number of people that I've seen in bit parts before, and I've always wanted to see more of. (Like the cheerleading coach, or the redheaded teacher.)

Let's just say the show is aptly named. I'm in.

Mara
05-20-2009, 01:26 PM
That's a big yes from me, but mostly for Felicia. She's so cutez.

I think she's cool. And really cute on Buffy and Dr. Horrible. (And she's in an episode of Dollhouse which should be on the DVD.)

Mara
05-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Wow, the guys at Icine hated Glee. I'm kinda surprised.

Mara
05-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Okay, The Guild is super funny. And short. I think I'm going to tear through it in a couple of hours.

Felicia Day is cute.

And I'm never flirting online again, ever.

Robby P
05-20-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm three episodes into Breaking Bad and I am officially hooked. I haven't been this invested in a television show since The Wire.

The Mike
05-21-2009, 12:51 AM
And I'm never flirting online again, ever.How perfect were the final moments of Season 1? I swear, I laughed for about 5 minutes.

The Mike
05-21-2009, 12:51 AM
I'm three episodes into Breaking Bad and I am officially hooked. I haven't been this invested in a television show since The Wire.

I love this one, too. So mad I fell behind Season 2.

EvilShoe
05-21-2009, 09:04 AM
All this Breaking Bad love is making me very happy.

Thirdmango
05-21-2009, 11:29 AM
I didn't really like The Guild. I liked the first episode a bit but then it went downhill from there for me.

Also has anyone watched The Legend of the Seeker? I downloaded the first three episodes but haven't had the moxie to watch them yet.

Thirdmango
05-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Wow, Glee was one of the most impressive pilots I've ever seen. That may be a cool show, I'm curious to see what they do with it and if a normal audience will get into it. Hopefully some tweeners can herald for it.

amberlita
05-21-2009, 02:35 PM
All this Breaking Bad love is making me very happy.

Indeed. I'm convinced the only reason it isn't the most popular show on television is because people either can't watch it on AMC, don't know about it, or don't want to give it a chance. Because I haven't found a single person who didn't love it after finally tuning in.

Mara
05-21-2009, 07:08 PM
How perfect were the final moments of Season 1? I swear, I laughed for about 5 minutes.

Yeah, really great. I just finished the second season, which was surprisingly poignant.

It's impressive what a bunch of semi-professionals with extremely limited budget and resources will do. I like it-- it reminds me that some people do things out of passion, not for a paycheck.

EvilShoe
05-22-2009, 04:54 PM
6 eps into season 4 of Rescue Me.
HUGE spoiler

Jerry. :cry:
Didn't see it coming. I thought the fire crew was safe.

I don't find the new Chief very interesting.

I can see how this is considered the weakest season. The Janet/Tommy thing is annoying, and the show seems to lack a direction.

Also: Jennifer Esposito falling for Dennis Leary? :crazy:

number8
05-22-2009, 08:34 PM
I've had Journey stuck in my head for 3 days.

Mara
05-22-2009, 08:37 PM
I've had Journey stuck in my head for 3 days.

Actually, I had the cheery song-and-dance version of Winehouse's "Rehab" stuck in my head for several days.

Ezee E
05-22-2009, 10:47 PM
6 eps into season 4 of Rescue Me.
HUGE spoiler

Jerry. :cry:
Didn't see it coming. I thought the fire crew was safe.

I don't find the new Chief very interesting.

I can see how this is considered the weakest season. The Janet/Tommy thing is annoying, and the show seems to lack a direction.

Also: Jennifer Esposito falling for Dennis Leary? :crazy:
Yeah, just believe that Season 5 picks it all back up. Season 4 is close to a waste. I should watch it again to point out the highlights, but why?

EvilShoe
05-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Yeah, just believe that Season 5 picks it all back up. Season 4 is close to a waste. I should watch it again to point out the highlights, but why?
Well, the character interaction is still amusing.
Probie & Sean are still hilarious.

The storylines... not so good.
I finished episode 11, and nothing note-worthy (except for the spoilered bit) happened really.

number8
05-25-2009, 07:29 PM
I hadn't seen this before. This is cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tdog65eraw

[ETM]
05-25-2009, 07:56 PM
I hadn't seen this before. This is cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tdog65eraw

I've been using Stewart's "Somewhere somebody's blog just blew up" on various occasions for years now.

Dead & Messed Up
05-26-2009, 11:33 PM
;166691']I've been using Stewart's "Somewhere somebody's blog just blew up" on various occasions for years now.

Speaking of that, I finished Battlestar's four-hour miniseries this weekend. Gonna launch into the show proper this week, hopefully.

Old hat to most people, but:

Damn it, I knew Doral was a Cylon. It was too easy to be a normal twist, so it had to be a double-twist. But I did not anticipate Sharon as the other Cylon. Good stuff.

I'm loving the scenes between McDonnell and Olmos.

[ETM]
05-26-2009, 11:37 PM
You go for it, man. Just remember - no matter how much you'd want to, do NOT google anything from the show. Put the DVD into the player, watch, comment here, repeat.

Dead & Messed Up
05-26-2009, 11:39 PM
;167076']You go for it, man. Just remember - no matter how much you'd want to, do NOT google anything from the show. Put the DVD into the player, watch, comment here, repeat.

That's my plan. I went to the Wiki page to look up those characters' names, and I had to stop exactly after learning their names.

Kurosawa Fan
05-27-2009, 03:18 AM
So I'm finally getting around to watching Deadwood, and in turn am bringing much joy to Derek. Long overdue, I know. Three episodes in and thus far I'm loving it. I was a bit ambivalent after the first episode, but things are really coming along nicely just two episodes later. I love the sense of tension and dread. I feel like things could just fucking explode at any second. Can't wait to watch more.

Ezee E
05-27-2009, 05:24 AM
So I'm finally getting around to watching Deadwood, and in turn am bringing much joy to Derek. Long overdue, I know. Three episodes in and thus far I'm loving it. I was a bit ambivalent after the first episode, but things are really coming along nicely just two episodes later. I love the sense of tension and dread. I feel like things could just fucking explode at any second. Can't wait to watch more.
Oh boy.

number8
05-27-2009, 06:04 AM
Oh boy.

Yep.

Two people starting on my two favorite shows. This'll be fun.

Watashi
05-27-2009, 07:34 AM
Outside of Lost, can anyone name a TV series where the first season was actually better than the second?

Qrazy
05-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Outside of Lost, can anyone name a TV series where the first season was actually better than the second?

Dexter.

number8
05-27-2009, 07:42 AM
Heroes. Duh.

number8
05-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Dexter.

I like the second season better.

Kurosawa Fan
05-27-2009, 12:08 PM

I would have said The Wire before watching the entire series again, but now I'd say that seasons one and two are dead even.

number8
05-27-2009, 12:36 PM
I would have said The Wire before watching the entire series again, but now I'd say that seasons one and two are dead even.

Indeed.

[ETM]
05-27-2009, 01:31 PM
Indeed.

Agreed. The docks storyline is underrated.

The Mike
05-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, hands down.

Ezee E
05-27-2009, 02:56 PM
;167251']Agreed. The docks storyline is underrated.
It's really better the second time around I think. The first time it seems like such a sudden change of events, that it takes a bit to get used to.

Sycophant
05-27-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm loving the scenes between McDonnell and Olmos.

At a certain point, these scenes and the continuing wacky adventures of James Callis became my main draw to the show.

Arrested Development.

Ezee E
05-27-2009, 06:06 PM
No way. The second season is just as good as the first season in AD.

Sycophant
05-27-2009, 06:09 PM
The second season has a middle with some clunky episodes (and that godawful Martin Short episode), where the company is trading hands back and forth and back and forth and got kind of tiresome, whereas season 1 is almost perfect.

Mara
05-28-2009, 01:17 AM
Doogie Howser, M.D. Worth seeing?

I'm into NPH at the moment.

Mara
05-28-2009, 07:09 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Dollhouse spoilers (maybe):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30984846/

The noise you’re about to hear is the sound of the Whedonverse exploding. Joss confirms to me exclusively that, well, he’s one step ahead of you. “If anybody thinks (bringing Summer onto ‘Dollhouse’) hasn’t occurred to me already then they have not met me,” he says. “I mentioned it to her before (‘SCC’) was canceled. I was like, ‘You know, we should get you in the ‘house.’ But first we have to come up with something that works.” And casting her as a doll would not work, insists Whedon. “Summer would be perfect to play an active, but she’s done that (type of role) a lot,” he says. “I’d rather see her play someone who talks too much. The most fun I have is when I get somebody who’s good and comfortable at doing something, and then I make them do something else. Summer said to me, ‘I would like to play a normal girl before I die of extreme old age.’”

Dead & Messed Up
05-28-2009, 07:18 PM
No way. The second season is just as good as the first season in AD.

The second season got a little bit too "wacky" for my tastes, but, even then, it's nearly on par with the first. "Good Grief," "Afternoon Delight," and "The Immaculate Election" are some of the funniest episodes ever:

"Steve Holt is a bastard. He doesn't even know who his own father is!"

transmogrifier
05-28-2009, 07:19 PM
The second season has a middle with some clunky episodes (and that godawful Martin Short episode), where the company is trading hands back and forth and back and forth and got kind of tiresome, whereas season 1 is almost perfect.

The Martin Short episode is good if you ignore Martin Short, who appears to have wandered in off a Adam Sandler movie (non-PTA version)

Qrazy
05-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Not only is season two not as good as season one of The Wire, but season three and four are also better with four being the best.

Amnesiac
05-28-2009, 08:06 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Dollhouse spoilers (maybe):

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30984846/

Yeah, I heard that news yesterday. I'm pretty excited. It will be nice to see her play an ostensibly 'normal' girl. Making her an active seems like the most obvious, logical route to go down but I think it's better to let her try out new territory.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the actors from Whedon's other shows, either.

transmogrifier
05-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Wire 1 = Wire 2 = Wire 3 = Wire 4 = Wire 5

Derek
05-28-2009, 08:16 PM

Can't wait to hear your thoughts after episode 4.

Sycophant
05-28-2009, 08:31 PM
The second season got a little bit too "wacky" for my tastes, but, even then, it's nearly on par with the first.

Oh, I agree that it's overall a great season. It's just a little more rickety, while the first season felt a lot more confident. It sags a bit in the middle, but it still contains some of the series's (series'?) finest moments.

At any rate, season two's a hell of a lot better than season three, which was half-very good, half-clusterfuck.

I should revisit the show some time. Haven't watched any of it in probably about three years.

Sycophant
05-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Speaking of second seaons, I picked up and started watching The Sarah Silverman Program's second season first volume. The first episode, with the anti-abortion group, had a pretty strong first half (a couple of good laugh-out-loud moments), but the technical elements hurt it and the resolution felt more half-baked than anything in the first season. Hoping it gets better from here. Glad this show exists, though.

The advertisements at the front of the disc, though, made everything else on Comedy Central look completely unwatchable.

Mara
05-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Speaking of the Whedonverse, How I Met Your Mother steals actors from Buffy, Angel and Firefly like crazycakes. Fans, I guess.

And then NPH did Dr. Horrible.

number8
05-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Wire 1 = Wire 2 = Wire 3 = Wire 4 = Wire 5

After watching the whole series straight through for the second time, this starts to be true as there were no ups and downs during the viewing, just even awesomeness.

But I guess personal preference would lead me to say 4 > (1 = 2 = 3 = 5).

Kurosawa Fan
05-28-2009, 11:48 PM
Can't wait to hear your thoughts after episode 4.

Already got there. Brutal. I can't wait to see how this all shakes out.

EDIT: And the flaw to that Wire theory is that season five is obviously weaker than the rest. It's good, but never achieves greatness, which is something that keeps it a few steps below the other four seasons.

Winston*
05-28-2009, 11:50 PM
The first season of Deadwood might be the best season of a television show I've ever seen. So there's another one for your list, Watashi.

Raiders
05-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Already got there. Brutal. I can't wait to see how this all shakes out.

If you love Deadwood, I will at least partially forgive you for BSG. Maybe.

number8
05-29-2009, 12:12 AM
And the flaw to that Wire theory is that season five is obviously weaker than the rest. It's good, but never achieves greatness, which is something that keeps it a few steps below the other four seasons.

Untrue. It's pretty damn great, and it has my favorite line in the entire show.

"I just wanna see something new everyday. And write about it."

Kurosawa Fan
05-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Untrue. It's pretty damn great, and it has my favorite line in the entire show.

"I just wanna see something new everyday. And write about it."

It has highlights, but it's blunt with the critique of newspapers, and things are presented too black and white (no pun intended). If Simon had had more time with the final season, maybe it would have been better (though I suspect he was just too emotionally involved with the topic). As is, it's a solid season, but too flawed to be on the same level as the four that came before it.

Duncan
05-29-2009, 12:22 AM
The first season of Deadwood might be the best season of a television show I've ever seen. So there's another one for your list, Watashi.

I agree with this, except I'd replace "might be" with "is."

In other news, I don't own a tv at the moment. I am enjoying it.

Milky Joe
05-29-2009, 12:35 AM
I still think season 3 of Deadwood is the best. Though, like with The Wire, it's practically 1=2=3. If it weren't for The Wire, I'd call it the greatest show ever made.

Dead & Messed Up
05-29-2009, 04:21 AM
Starz's show Party Down is my new obsession. Hilarious. Especially awesome for anyone who knows "actors" who rehearse on lunch breaks during their actual job.

Ezee E
05-29-2009, 04:25 AM
It has highlights, but it's blunt with the critique of newspapers, and things are presented too black and white (no pun intended). If Simon had had more time with the final season, maybe it would have been better (though I suspect he was just too emotionally involved with the topic). As is, it's a solid season, but too flawed to be on the same level as the four that came before it.
The bad part is I can't see how you can take the other side of journalism and present it as a good thing. They showed what the "blogger" would be capable of through the bad journalism, and he got the reward and recognition still. That's one thing that sort of is black and white.

Ezee E
05-29-2009, 04:26 AM
I need to watch Season 3 of Deadwood again. Found it pretty mediocre to be honest.

transmogrifier
05-29-2009, 06:31 AM

Arrested Development, now that I have rewatched both series in full.

Qrazy
05-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Arrested Development, now that I have rewatched both series in full.

Those first 6 episodes or so are so tightly executed.

Qrazy
05-29-2009, 06:35 AM
I need to watch Season 3 of Deadwood again. Found it pretty mediocre to be honest.

Agreed.

Milky Joe
05-29-2009, 06:41 AM
Yes, you should both rewatch it. Hearst is such a brilliant foil for Swearengen. Way better than Cy Tolliver in the first season or anyone else on the show for that matter. It's at least as good as the second season, and far from mediocre.

EvilShoe
05-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Yes, you should both rewatch it. Hearst is such a brilliant foil for Swearengen. Way better than Cy Tolliver in the first season or anyone else on the show for that matter. It's at least as good as the second season, and far from mediocre.
I have to agree with this.
Also enjoyed Brian Cox' character.

Thirdmango
05-29-2009, 11:30 AM

Also agreed. I loved the first season and the second season was just barely under but I had a hard time keeping myself together to watch the third season.

Ezee E
05-29-2009, 02:50 PM
The second season has the second best episode of the entire series, which has a tie in with the best episode of the series.

Same actor, different character. Garret Dillahunt, FTW!

[ETM]
05-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Same actor, different character. Garret Dillahunt, FTW!

He was outstanding in both roles.

EvilShoe
05-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Now that Sarah Connor Chronicles is over, Dillahunt can perhaps do good TV work again?

[ETM]
05-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Now that Sarah Connor Chronicles is over, Dillahunt can perhaps do good TV work again?

He did awesome work on Sarah Connor Chronicles.
At the very least, we heard his singing voice.

Ezee E
05-30-2009, 06:56 AM
He moved on to movies. He did Last House on the Left and will also be in The Road, in one of the best scenes from the book no less.

chrisnu
05-30-2009, 07:44 AM
Homicide: Life on the Street. Twin Peaks.

number8
05-30-2009, 07:55 AM
Hulu Desktop everybody. :eek:

EvilShoe
05-30-2009, 11:15 AM
He moved on to movies. He did Last House on the Left and will also be in The Road, in one of the best scenes from the book no less.
Yes, I know.. It's just that he usually doesn't have that much to do in his movie roles.
Would like to see him in a strong TV role again.

number8
05-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Hulu Desktop everybody. :eek:

Nobody tried this? People! This is freakin awesome, you guys.

Kurosawa Fan
05-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Is that the same thing as Hulu Labs?

number8
05-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Hulu Labs is just the name of the community for stuff they're testing out.

Hulu Desktop is one of them: http://www.hulu.com/labs/hulu-desktop

Kurosawa Fan
05-30-2009, 11:48 PM
Hulu Labs is just the name of the community for stuff they're testing out.

Hulu Desktop is one of them: http://www.hulu.com/labs/hulu-desktop

Wow. Just downloaded it. That's impressive.

Amnesiac
05-30-2009, 11:49 PM
When will Hulu recognize Canadians?

number8
05-30-2009, 11:52 PM
When will Hulu recognize Canadians?

When you start wearing pants.

Spinal
05-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Best and worst SNL cast members?

Mine:

Best

1. Phil Hartman
2. Bill Murray
3. Jan Hooks
4. Kristen Wiig
5. John Belushi

Worst:

5. Fred Armisen
4. Dana Carvey
3. Kevin Nealon
2. Ellen Cleghorne
1. Melanie Hutsell

Kurosawa Fan
05-31-2009, 12:19 AM
Worst:

5. Fred Armisen

I'm stunned right now. I don't like any of your other worsts, but this one. I'm just stunned. He's one of my favorites. I think he's one of the most underrated cast members in the show's history.

Spinal
05-31-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm stunned right now. I don't like any of your other worsts, but this one. I'm just stunned. He's one of my favorites. I think he's one of the most underrated cast members in the show's history.

Not getting the appeal.

number8
05-31-2009, 12:22 AM
I second KF's sentiment. Fred Armisen is the current cast's highlight.

I don't know if I can name 5 of each, but I think Norm McDonald is one of the best, while Colin Quinn is one of the worst. Funny enough, they both did weekend update.

Kurosawa Fan
05-31-2009, 12:22 AM
Not getting the appeal.

I don't think he's created a single character I haven't at least enjoyed. I think his body of work is exceptional for such a short period of time.

number8
05-31-2009, 12:26 AM
I don't think he's created a single character I haven't at least enjoyed. I think his body of work is exceptional for such a short period of time.

Indeed.

http://www.cnycentral.com/uploadedImages/wstm/News/Stories/Armisen.jpg

Spinal
05-31-2009, 12:29 AM
Yeah, that character is one of the reasons I think he's quite bad.

Amnesiac
05-31-2009, 12:47 AM
When you start wearing pants.

What?

Milky Joe
05-31-2009, 12:54 AM
Concurring with the love for Fred Armisen. He's excellent. His Obama is definitive.

Kurosawa Fan
05-31-2009, 12:57 AM
Concurring with the love for Fred Armisen. He's excellent. His Obama is definitive.

I like the blind mayor, but I'm actually not that crazy about his Obama. He doesn't have the voice for it.

Spinal
05-31-2009, 01:07 AM
Oh man, he is soooo miscast as Obama. Didn't realize this was a controversial statement.

Kurosawa Fan
05-31-2009, 01:09 AM
Oh man, he is soooo miscast as Obama. Didn't realize this was a controversial statement.

It's not.

For the record, my favorite Armison character is Nicholas Fehn:

http://cdn.videogum.com/img/thumbnails/videos/pheMLogPnDE.jpg

The Mike
05-31-2009, 01:14 AM
Best:
1. John Belushi
2. Phil Hartman
3. Steve Martin
4. Mike Myers
5. Will Ferrell/Darrell Hammond

That was far too easy. Norm McDonald should be up there too, and I'm shocked to have seen Nealon on worst lists. Nealon IS Weekend Update.

I don't know if I can do a worst list. Too much good there.

Better question: Best SNL Hosts? I'd start with John Goodman, John Travolta, and Martin again. Oh, and The Rock.

Oh, and I forgot Alec Baldwin. Duh.

Spinal
05-31-2009, 01:20 AM
I don't think Steve Martin has ever been a cast member.

Spinal
05-31-2009, 01:24 AM
OK, how about this? Update anchors ranked:

1. Tina Fey
2. Dennis Miller
3. Jane Curtin
4. Seth Meyers
5. Norm MacDonald
6. Dan Aykroyd
7. Jimmy Fallon
8. Amy Poehler
9. Colin Quinn
10. Kevin Nealon

Not familiar enough with the others to rank.

The Mike
05-31-2009, 01:27 AM
I don't think Steve Martin has ever been a cast member.

Whoa. That just shatters my universe. :eek:

I guess that's what I get for not being old. :cry:

Raiders
05-31-2009, 01:32 AM
3. Jane Curtin
6. Dan Aykroyd

These two worked great off each other. I would put them at 1a and 1b.

Ezee E
05-31-2009, 05:18 AM
I'll say it again, but this Rescue Me season is now the best of all its seasons. Great ep last week.

number8
05-31-2009, 05:30 AM
I'll say it again, but this Rescue Me season is now the best of all its seasons. Great ep last week.

Yep. It's actually shocking how much better it is. I mean, the previous seasons were good, but in that watchable comedy-drama weekly entertainment kind of thing. This season they're really pulling out all stops and making it rather profound at times, and really a must see for a lot of Americans. And yet it's still as hilariously low brow as ever.

Amnesiac
05-31-2009, 07:49 AM
I'll ask again. number8, what did your comment about wearing pants mean? If it's some sort of Canadian dig, I actually haven't heard that one before and it doesn't seem to make sense.

I know it's fun to selectively ignore questions, but it'd be kind of cool to get an answer.

transmogrifier
05-31-2009, 08:54 AM
......it doesn't seem to make sense.

I think that's the beauty of it. I hope #8 doesn't explain. It's better that way.

number8
05-31-2009, 08:54 AM
Hulu has a rule about its users wearing pants.

Amnesiac
05-31-2009, 06:47 PM
Yeah, I tend to adhere to that rule. So, where's my Hulu? Actually, don't answer that. One bad joke is enough. :confused:

Sycophant
05-31-2009, 08:44 PM
It wasn't a bad joke until it took up like a whole page or something.

Sycophant
05-31-2009, 08:45 PM
Guys, I've never really been able to stomach much SNL from pretty much any era. So based on their post-/non-SNL work I really like Phil Hartman, Bill Murray, Al Franken, Tina Fey, Eddie Murphy, and Tracy Morgan. There are some others that only lasted a very short time or I never knew they were even in the cast till today or something (like Joan Cusack or Harry Shearer).

Back when I was like 13, I had a crush on Cheri Oteri, though I'm not sure how much that had to do with her performances.

Amnesiac
05-31-2009, 08:51 PM
It wasn't a bad joke until it took up like a whole page or something.

Yeah, it didn't. But you're helping us get there.

Duncan
05-31-2009, 10:36 PM
Yeah, it didn't. But you're helping us get there.
I wouldn't worry about it. It was just an absurd non sequitur. You obviously wear pants. Canadians in general wear pants. number8 doesn't know exactly why Hulu isn't available to you.

Winston*
05-31-2009, 10:45 PM
You can use this if you really want to access Hulu from outside the US.

http://hotspotshield.com/

Internet pants, if you will.

Mara
05-31-2009, 10:59 PM
Okay, we were talking about Supernatural awhile back. It has moved from tolerable to interesting to enjoyable, although it's still not earth-shattering. But I really enjoy when the show cuts loose and has some fun with itself.

So, even if none of you ever watch the show, I'd recommend this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEXCyzkRl_U&feature=PlayList&p=DC929A29642519C5&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=8) clip, for just how randomly hilarious it can be. The context is a wishing well that has gone bad, and a little girl has wished her teddy bear to be life-sized. The bear ends up bipolar and attempts suicide.

Life-size teddy bear. Attempting suicide. Just watch it.

[ETM]
05-31-2009, 11:00 PM
hotspotshield runs out of steam quite often, but it works.

Anyway, there's at least one Canadian guy online who always says he's posting without pants...

Acapelli
05-31-2009, 11:25 PM
definitely

norm macdonald is easily my favorite weekend update anchor

The Mike
05-31-2009, 11:54 PM
norm macdonald is easily my favorite weekend update anchor
Once again proving my theory...GERMANS LOVE DAVID HASSELHOFF!

number8
06-01-2009, 12:39 AM
number8 doesn't know exactly why Hulu isn't available to you.

I actually do, I was just being a dick because pantsless Canadians are inherently funny.

It's because networks in other countries pay a lot of money for the rights to air these programs, and they wouldn't like it very much if NBC and FOX just make them internationally available for free and the advertising money go solely to them.

In short: Canada will never get Hulu.

Duncan
06-01-2009, 02:06 AM
Well, there you go. I figured it had to have something to do with ad revenues. Can't that problem be resolved pretty easily though? I mean, I know when I go to porn sites they're always like "Fuck hot girls in Toronto!" But when I lived in New York they were always like "Fuck hot girls in New York!" Seems to me if the porn websites can figure it out, the ad revenue divvying for 30 Rock can be figured out.

number8
06-01-2009, 02:38 AM
It's not a matter of splitting ad revenues, though. There's also exclusivity contracts and air dates. Like SkyTV isn't gonna like it if they're still promoting Season 3 of The Office for the summer and their viewers already watched in on Hulu. And then when it comes to older seasons, it infringes on local DVD distributors, which is separate from the broadcast deals.

Besides, online ad revenue is in no way a profitable income, so not everybody is gonna want to jump on it. Hulu isn't even in the black yet. It's just a way for NBC and FOX to control piracy (and it works).

monolith94
06-01-2009, 03:02 AM
Breaking Bad: :eek:

Sycophant
06-01-2009, 03:26 AM
http://www.whatnotstudios.com/shit/stephenrootalecbaldwin.jpg

amberlita
06-01-2009, 04:24 AM
Breaking Bad: :eek:

I know!

Qrazy
06-01-2009, 04:44 AM
Well, there you go. I figured it had to have something to do with ad revenues. Can't that problem be resolved pretty easily though? I mean, I know when I go to porn sites they're always like "Fuck hot girls in Toronto!" But when I lived in New York they were always like "Fuck hot girls in New York!" Seems to me if the porn websites can figure it out, the ad revenue divvying for 30 Rock can be figured out.

Personally I have my doubts that those fuckable hot girls are actually from either of the places they are purported to be from.

number8
06-01-2009, 07:46 AM
So MTV Movie Awards was pretty fucking great.

Forest Whitaker singing "Dick in a Box" FTW.

Watashi
06-01-2009, 08:26 AM

You mean outside of Twilight winning everything.

transmogrifier
06-01-2009, 08:58 AM

I stopped going to Rotten Tomatoes the second they started rerouting NZ traffic to the Australian site. No, I don't give a shit about what movies Australia are getting. No I don't give a shit what the Australian reviewers think. The fact they don't give us a choice about which site we can go to means RT can go screw itself.

Arthur Seaton
06-01-2009, 12:01 PM

The Bruno / Eminem bit was hilarious, planned or not.

EvilShoe
06-01-2009, 12:22 PM
I know!
I did not see that coming...
Well, I did... but only when they revealed Jane's father's job... :eek:

Duncan
06-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Personally I have my doubts that those fuckable hot girls are actually from either of the places they are purported to be from.

You're pulling my world apart.

[ETM]
06-01-2009, 04:26 PM

It's awesome when traffic gets rerouted or something, and I start getting ads for girls in my local town, ZAIRE.

[ETM]
06-01-2009, 04:27 PM
You mean outside of Twilight winning everything.

No one watches the Awards for the actual Awards, do they?

number8
06-01-2009, 04:40 PM
;169252']No one watches the Awards for the actual Awards, do they?

Nope, and it's great how they didn't even pretend to care. Case in point: Jim Carrey scripting a skit for his acceptance speech, and Zac Efron's win completely overshadowed by Bruno's balls in Eminem's face.

Robby P
06-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Finished season one of Breaking Bad. Ended on a rather anticlimactic note but apparently the show was cut short due to the WGA strike. I don't like how I had to rent a third disc just to watch the final episode. They could've fit seven episodes on two discs, obviously.

I enjoyed the first four episodes more than the final three but overall it was quite the experience and I look forward to purchasing season two on DVD.

Kurosawa Fan
06-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Watched the first episode of Glee on Hulu today during lunch (being your own boss rules). Pretty good stuff actually, but it needs to avoid the cornier moments to keep me watching through the first season. There's serious potential though, so long as they make the supporting characters a more prominent part of the series.

number8
06-02-2009, 07:43 PM
I keep thinking it was a 90 min pilot trimmed into 60. It just feels that way.

Kurosawa Fan
06-02-2009, 08:00 PM
I keep thinking it was a 90 min pilot trimmed into 60. It just feels that way.

Definitely felt that way, and I have a feeling they'll iron out the issues and Jane Lynch and the head cheerleader will play major parts in most episodes.

[ETM]
06-03-2009, 03:00 AM
There is a longer unaired pilot, and it's available on streaming websites... if I'm not allowed to do this, delete the link:

h t t p://www.megavideo.com/?d=K74KOZR8

Thirdmango
06-03-2009, 10:21 AM
I watched the MTV video awards and loved Keifer Sutherland, that was amazing.

Also I've watched a couple episodes of Root of all evil, it's fun but I wish it was longer.

EyesWideOpen
06-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Started watching Party Down on netflix instant viewing based on a recommendation and it's really funny. It really picks up after the first episode or so. I ran through the first 6 last night.

number8
06-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Anyone else looking forward to Tom Fontana's new show, The Philanthropist? It's a ridiculous premise, but I think it could be cool.

Watashi
06-05-2009, 06:21 AM
I kinda want to watch The West Wing. Is it still topical to start from the beginning or would it be dated?

There really hasn't been any great political shows.

Thirdmango
06-05-2009, 06:27 AM
I went through the entirety of the west wing in the past 9 months or so. It's got some things which have staying power. I found myself getting sick of the show in the 5th and 6th seasons but then the 7th season picked back up.

Mara
06-05-2009, 12:51 PM
I kinda want to watch The West Wing. Is it still topical to start from the beginning or would it be dated?

There really hasn't been any great political shows.

I just watched the whole series within the last year and I was blown away.

Kurosawa Fan
06-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Anyone else looking forward to Tom Fontana's new show, The Philanthropist? It's a ridiculous premise, but I think it could be cool.

Wow. I saw a preview for it and it looked awful. Not interested.

number8
06-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Wow. I saw a preview for it and it looked awful. Not interested.

It's Tom Fontana. The man can't do awful.

Hugh_Grant
06-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Not a huge fan of Neve Campbell, but I'm intrigued by the rest of the cast: James Purefoy, Jesse L. Martin (maybe he'll sing?), and Michael K. Williams.

Kurosawa Fan
06-05-2009, 03:23 PM
It's Tom Fontana. The man can't do awful.

He may surprise you with this one.

[ETM]
06-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Is this true?
http://tvoholic.com/news/nbc-failure-coming-up-tom-fontana-leaves-the-philanthropist/

number8
06-05-2009, 04:43 PM
;170878']Is this true?
http://tvoholic.com/news/nbc-failure-coming-up-tom-fontana-leaves-the-philanthropist/

Well, there goes that. Happy, KF?

*cries*

Kurosawa Fan
06-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Well, there goes that. Happy, KF?

*cries*

Well, at least it makes more sense now.

Mara
06-05-2009, 07:45 PM
I've been watching "How I Met Your Mother" infrequently, and I'm up to the season finale of season 3, and Alyson Hannigan looks her hottest ever in a red dress with white accents. It's incredible. And this is even without her red hair, which I think we can all agree is her best hair.

Mara
06-05-2009, 07:55 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/000352-vi.jpg

This isn't the best shot, but you get the idea.

It's important to watch this clip from The Onion if you haven't already. (http://www.theonion.com/content/video/fcc_okays_nudity_on_tv_if_it_s )

Mara
06-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Previous record held by Buffy season 6 episode "Tabula Rasa."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/tabula_rasa_155.jpg

Okay, that's enough gay for the day.

Spinal
06-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Watched the first episode of Glee on Hulu today during lunch (being your own boss rules). Pretty good stuff actually, but it needs to avoid the cornier moments to keep me watching through the first season. There's serious potential though, so long as they make the supporting characters a more prominent part of the series.

Just watched the pilot and I loved it so, so much. So refreshingly earnest. But also very funny. Lea Michele ... holy smokes. I will be very sad if this doesn't catch on.

Mara
06-08-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm 80% sure the guy who just served me lunch is Trick from Buffy.

Then I thought, no way.

Then I thought, what, like he's been getting SOOO much work lately? Could be him.

Either way, he got my order wrong.

[ETM]
06-08-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm 80% sure the guy who just served me lunch is Trick from Buffy.

Then I thought, no way.

Then I thought, what, like he's been getting SOOO much work lately? Could be him.

Either way, he got my order wrong.

He's in Chicago, and no, since The Dark Knight, not much work.

Kurosawa Fan
06-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Just watched the pilot and I loved it so, so much. So refreshingly earnest. But also very funny. Lea Michele ... holy smokes. I will be very sad if this doesn't catch on.

My only complaints are the club's willingness to just accept the help of their teacher again at the end, even though they had created a fantastic performance without him (and he pretty much abandoned them), and the portrayal of his wife as such a heinous villain. Makes the impending romance between the two teachers way too easy.
Other than that, I was really taken with the actors and the songs. I definitely got swept up. That Journey song was amazing.

Spinal
06-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah, those are pretty legitimate complaints. I also thought the football players' treatment of the kid in the wheelchair was a bit over the top.

Mara
06-08-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm a little nervous about a show that so brazenly wants us to root against a married couple.

Kurosawa Fan
06-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Yeah, those are pretty legitimate complaints. I also thought the football players' treatment of the kid in the wheelchair was a bit over the top.

I've actually seen that exact behavior firsthand, so that one wasn't a problem for me.

number8
06-08-2009, 07:00 PM
I'm a little nervous about a show that so brazenly wants us to root against a married couple.

You know how these gay Hollywood types are! Always out to destroy marriage!!!

[ETM]
06-08-2009, 09:30 PM
It's not so much that we're supposed to root against the couple - I have no idea how they got together in the first place. I guess she developed her... problems only recently, which could be lots of fun for the show to explore.

EvilShoe
06-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Futurama is coming back (http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/06/its-official-futurama-returns.html?xid=rss-ausiellofiles-It%27s+official%3A+%27Futurama %27+is+reborn%21)!
I wasn't too crazy about the movies, but hopefully these new eps will be good.

Qrazy
06-10-2009, 01:49 AM
The dramatic plot twists on Chuck are stupid.

Bryce Larkin back from the dead... Now Jill's a rogue agent. Ugh.

number8
06-10-2009, 01:59 AM
The ... plot ... on Chuck are stupid.

I agree.

Kurosawa Fan
06-10-2009, 03:18 AM
The dramatic plot twists on Chuck are stupid.

Bryce Larkin back from the dead... Now Jill's a rogue agent. Ugh.

Psh. Don't be so picky. The entire show is ridiculous fun.

soitgoes...
06-10-2009, 04:50 AM
Futurama is coming back (http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/06/its-official-futurama-returns.html?xid=rss-ausiellofiles-It%27s+official%3A+%27Futurama %27+is+reborn%21)!
I wasn't too crazy about the movies, but hopefully these new eps will be good.
This is awesome news. I don't know if it's my favorite animated series, but it's definitely in the running.

Thirdmango
06-10-2009, 06:08 PM
I only really watched the first season of Futurama, I've stayed away from it because the people who are massively behind it I don't trust at all with their media opinions. I think the only way I'll give it a shot is if one of the bigger friends who I trust media-wise give it a nod.

Thirdmango
06-10-2009, 06:13 PM
If I've never really had an insane adoration for the Muppets would I still like the Muppet Show? Cause it seems to be you have to already be fully into them as everyone I know who loves it already loved it before they started watching it.

Mara
06-10-2009, 06:24 PM
If I've never really had an insane adoration for the Muppets would I still like the Muppet Show? Cause it seems to be you have to already be fully into them as everyone I know who loves it already loved it before they started watching it.

How can you not like the Muppets?

Spinal
06-10-2009, 06:25 PM
The Muppet Show is just one of the best TV shows ever. Great writing. Inventive. Great guest stars. Great musical numbers. It really has nothing to do with nostalgia or thinking the muppets are adorable.

number8
06-10-2009, 06:30 PM
I only really watched the first season of Futurama, I've stayed away from it because the people who are massively behind it I don't trust at all with their media opinions.

It's inevitable that idiots would like Futurama, because I don't think I've ever met anyone who dislikes it. I believe it's one of those universal things.

Sycophant
06-10-2009, 06:30 PM
I watched The Muppet Show before I started saying I liked it. :confused:

And it's great television.

Thirdmango
06-10-2009, 06:32 PM
I don't dislike the muppets, I really liked the Great Muppet Caper, I just realized even from a young age that I didn't like the muppets nearly as much as everyone around me. It's the insane loyalty that turns me off of them, which is why I haven't yet watched the Muppet Show.

Spinal
06-10-2009, 06:34 PM
I don't dislike the muppets, I really liked the Great Muppet Caper, I just realized even from a young age that I didn't like the muppets nearly as much as everyone around me. It's the insane loyalty that turns me off of them, which is why I haven't yet watched the Muppet Show.

You gotta get past that, man. The Muppet Show is where the loyalty comes from. Not the movies, which are generally ok, but no substitute.

Spinal
06-10-2009, 06:36 PM
By the way, might as well mention ... back on the Weeds. Fourth season. Might be the longest I've stuck with a show I don't really like all that much. But man, it was worth it to see ...

Nancy give Celia a beatdown.

number8
06-10-2009, 06:47 PM
You haven't seen Season 4?!! But it's the season where she gets nekkid in several episodes! :P

Spinal
06-10-2009, 06:51 PM
You haven't seen Season 4?!! But it's the season where she gets nekkid in several episodes! :P

Yeah, Disc 1 ... nothing. Gotta go queue up Disc 2.

Milky Joe
06-10-2009, 07:18 PM
For the record, I don't really like Futurama.

[ETM]
06-10-2009, 10:13 PM
The 2nd series finale of Ashes to Ashes was so... I don't know... I'm still not sure what to think of the ending.

EvilShoe
06-10-2009, 10:30 PM
;172503']The 2nd series finale of Ashes to Ashes was so... I don't know... I'm still not sure what to think of the ending.
I really don't like that show.

[ETM]
06-10-2009, 11:02 PM
I really don't like that show.

I wanted to like it so very much, but I've realized it's diluting my impression of Life on Mars. I'm probably not gonna watch the final series when it starts.

EvilShoe
06-10-2009, 11:03 PM
;172526']I wanted to like it so very much, but I've realized it's diluting my impression of Life on Mars. I'm probably not gonna watch the final series when it starts.
I gave up one ep into season two.
The only way they can get me to watch, is by bringing Simm back.
I really hope his "death" isn't final.

Then again, I'd rather see him on a better show.

Winston*
06-11-2009, 01:31 AM
Party Down is really great. I feel like this gets closer to the tone and quality of the The Office than the US version of The Office.

EyesWideOpen
06-11-2009, 02:25 AM
Party Down is really great. I feel like this gets closer to the tone and quality of the The Office than the US version of The Office.

Yes! I blew through the whole first season in a day. The first episode or two were a little rough but it picks up quickly.

Dead & Messed Up
06-11-2009, 02:46 AM

Yes! I love how Martin Starr's character becomes more and more loathsome with each episode.

However, it was a shame that Lynch couldn't make all ten episodes and Coolidge had to sub in.

number8
06-11-2009, 02:49 AM
Count me in as another fan.

"I have never heard this fable before..."

Winston*
06-11-2009, 03:00 AM
Yes! I love how Martin Starr's character becomes more and more loathsome with each episode.

However, it was a shame that Lynch couldn't make all ten episodes and Coolidge had to sub in.

Yeah, I hope that other show doesn't interfere with Lynch coming back the next season.

Poor Ron. He just tries so hard.

EyesWideOpen
06-11-2009, 03:45 AM
Coolidge did deliver the "sun eggs" line that had my wife laughing the hardest.

Acapelli
06-11-2009, 06:03 AM
Coolidge did deliver the "sun eggs" line that had my wife laughing the hardest.
it was sad to see lynch go, but coolidge is a great replacement

Qrazy
06-12-2009, 01:33 AM
Psh. Don't be so picky. The entire show is ridiculous fun.

Well that's the thing I like the premise of the show and I really enjoy the BuyMore stuff and then they just F it up with stupid twists.

[ETM]
06-12-2009, 10:24 AM
The creators of Reaper join the Dollhouse writing staff:
http://tv.ign.com/articles/993/993990p1.html

EvilShoe
06-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Are people here still watching Rescue Me's fifth season?
The show's definitely made a recovery after the fourth.

Black Shawn and Needles feel out of place, though.

Ezee E
06-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Are people here still watching Rescue Me's fifth season?
The show's definitely made a recovery after the fourth.

Black Shawn and Needles feel out of place, though.
I've been raving about the fifth season. I haven't seen the latest episode, but I'm glad they're returning to their roots of Tommy Gavin being the most conflicted character. Black Shawn has never been a good character in my mind, and I have a feeling he may be the "family member" that goes by season's end.

EvilShoe
06-12-2009, 06:49 PM
I've been raving about the fifth season. I haven't seen the latest episode, but I'm glad they're returning to their roots of Tommy Gavin being the most conflicted character. Black Shawn has never been a good character in my mind, and I have a feeling he may be the "family member" that goes by season's end.
Last ep was very funny, and had a strong closing shot.

I thought bringing the alcoholism, Sheila *nd Janet back into the mix would make for a cliched season but it's really working out for the best.

I have no idea why Black Shawn was added to the cast.
And I miss Jerry.

Sean's probably my favorite character.

Watashi
06-12-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm about to finally take the plunge into Battlestar Galactica. I'm going to start watching the miniseries tonight. I'm hoping I can finish it before the last season comes out on DVD.

[ETM]
06-12-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm about to finally take the plunge into Battlestar Galactica. I'm going to start watching the miniseries tonight. I'm hoping I can finish it before the last season comes out on DVD.

*obligatory 'Avoid Any And All Spoilers At All Costs!!!' post*

Mara
06-12-2009, 07:41 PM

Srsly.

Post when your life changes.

Sycophant
06-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Keep us updated as you progress through the series, Wats. I'm interested in your thoughts as I think you'll be only the second after me on this forum to watch it quickly and in full after its original airing.

number8
06-13-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm broke right now, but I seriously need to start saving money to buy the complete series Bluray. Unfortunately, it comes out the week of Comic Con.

Oh well, 6 months late still doesn't make me less of a fan, right?

Spinal
06-13-2009, 01:59 AM
Naked Silas! Ew!

Shane whacking off to pictures of Mom! EW!!!!

number8
06-13-2009, 02:04 AM
Naked Silas! Ew!

Shane whacking off to pictures of Mom! EW!!!!

I dunno, Hunter Parrish is pretty hot with short hair.

Spinal
06-13-2009, 03:05 AM
But it's the season where she gets nekkid in several episodes! :P

:eek: Oh man, she sure did.

Spinal
06-13-2009, 03:38 AM
Finished up disc 2 and I gotta say, I'm impressed. They finally managed to turn this into a legitimately good show. Love Demián Bichir and the whole Mexican mob angle. Love El Andy. Even enjoying coked-up Celia.

number8
06-13-2009, 04:09 AM
Leaving Agrestic was the show's best move.

chrisnu
06-13-2009, 04:23 AM
:cool: Three episodes in. I wonder if I should pace myself, or be a glutton and run through all the episodes in a rush.

Thirdmango
06-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Finished up disc 2 and I gotta say, I'm impressed. They finally managed to turn this into a legitimately good show. Love Demián Bichir and the whole Mexican mob angle. Love El Andy. Even enjoying coked-up Celia.

I very much disliked the first season so I don't know if I'm willing to go until the fourth for it to be good. Only if it becomes spectacular and not to be missed.

number8
06-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Finally saw the season finale of Party Down. Fan-fucking-tastic.

Spinal
06-13-2009, 08:56 PM
I very much disliked the first season so I don't know if I'm willing to go until the fourth for it to be good. Only if it becomes spectacular and not to be missed.

Unless you have a major Mary-Louise Parker crush, it's probably not worth it. But then again, why wouldn't you?

Nancy's overlapping sit-down talk with both of her sons regarding their sexual escapades is probably the highlight of the series for me thus far. Really well done.

Thirdmango
06-14-2009, 12:53 AM
I do have a major MLP crush but I can get my needs in The West Wing.

number8
06-14-2009, 01:42 AM
I do have a major MLP crush but I can get my needs in The West Wing.

But she never got nekkid in that.

MadMan
06-14-2009, 06:19 AM
Despite my need to move on to Season 2, I already revisited the first ever episode of Weeds recently thanks to it being on Netflix's Instant viewing. Seeing as its been a couple years since I last saw it, and I'm quite behind on watching the show. From what I recall, its a great first start to a show that my friends like a good deal.

Watashi
06-15-2009, 06:46 AM
Just watched the miniseries and the first four episodes of Battlestar Galactica. There's some amazing television right there.

My only complaint (and it's a big one) is the godawful intro. Not the actual intro, but the flashes of scenes of the episode before it starts. Who's awful idea was that? I close my eyes everytime that happens. It was bad when it happened on JLU and it's just as bad here.

[ETM]
06-15-2009, 10:11 AM
My only complaint (and it's a big one) is the godawful intro. Not the actual intro, but the flashes of scenes of the episode before it starts. Who's awful idea was that? I close my eyes everytime that happens.

I always did that too. No one likes "the tease" as they call it. I think it was "SyFy" who came up with that.

EvilShoe
06-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Watched Party Down's first season... Thought it was great as well.

Also checked out Better Off Ted. It's enjoyable, but the lead's a bit bland and every ep reminds me of how much better Andy Richter Controls the Universe was. I miss that show.

Mara
06-15-2009, 01:22 PM
;173950']I always did that too. No one likes "the tease" as they call it. I think it was "SyFy" who came up with that.

Yeah. Annoying. I always just tried to ignore it.

number8
06-15-2009, 03:33 PM
It's a dilemma. I don't like seeing them, but I don't wanna not hear the awesome music.

Mara
06-15-2009, 03:39 PM
It's a dilemma. I don't like seeing them, but I don't wanna not hear the awesome music.

Eyelids. They're like God's editing system.

Thirdmango
06-15-2009, 07:27 PM
I've now watched the first four seasons of News Radio, that show was really good. The cast really gelled well together and made it quite exciting.

Also watched the first episode of Kings today, I really enjoyed it but it's just too much for what network tv is currently. If it had been on a cable station it may have worked a bit better. Still I'm excited to see what the whole product ended up as.

Mara
06-15-2009, 07:50 PM
I've now watched the first four seasons of News Radio, that show was really good. The cast really gelled well together and made it quite exciting.

I am a cipher. A cipher wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce.

Sycophant
06-15-2009, 07:53 PM

Good man. Now, you may still want to watch season five, even though it's decidedly worse than the rest of the show. There's still some good episodes and good moments. Can't help you out with that personally, but I do think it's worth your time.

number8
06-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Also watched the first episode of Kings today, I really enjoyed it but it's just too much for what network tv is currently. If it had been on a cable station it may have worked a bit better. Still I'm excited to see what the whole product ended up as.

Don't. Save yourself the frustration. NBC yanked it off the air after like 5 episodes.

[ETM]
06-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Don't. Save yourself the frustration. NBC yanked it off the air after like 5 episodes.

Bigest TV fail I've ever seen... such a promising pilot, and a total misfire with the series. I never finished the sixth episode, it was that frustrating.

chrisnu
06-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Finished Party Down. I miss Jane Lynch, but Jennifer Coolidge's scene about "how do you tell if a guy is gay..." :lol:

Martin Starr is also golden on this show.

I like how the finale went. Sets up the next season nicely.

Robby P
06-17-2009, 01:45 AM
I'm five episodes into Season One of 'Mad Men'. I'm impressed for the most part. Who knew that AMC produced such good television shows?

Amnesiac
06-17-2009, 02:42 AM
I'm five episodes into Season One of 'Mad Men'. I'm impressed for the most part. Who knew that AMC produced such good television shows?

It gets better and better.

number8
06-17-2009, 05:08 AM
Who knew that AMC produced such good television shows?

Well, so far everybody agrees that they're 2 for 2. Let's see how their Prisoner remake goes.

Spinal
06-17-2009, 07:56 AM
Finished up Season 4 of Weeds. Best season by far. Love the high stakes. The writing seems to be getting better and I think taking it to a new location got them out of that rut where every conversation was a snide, sarcastic back-and-forth between people. Now, they've forced themselves to get real more often.

EvilShoe
06-17-2009, 09:16 AM
Well, so far everybody agrees that they're 2 for 2. Let's see how their Prisoner remake goes.
From Patrick McGoohan to Jim Caviezel.
Quite the drop.

[ETM]
06-17-2009, 12:25 PM
From Patrick McGoohan to Jim Caviezel.
Quite the drop.

McKellen evens the field out.

Mara
06-17-2009, 12:38 PM
;174676']McKellen evens the field out.

Ian McKellan?

Okay, this just hit my radar.

EvilShoe
06-17-2009, 12:55 PM
;174676']McKellen evens the field out.
But then there's the lack of Rover in its original ball-tastic form and we're back to suck-status.

Seriously though, I think Caviezel is one of the worst actors working today.
It's like AMC is slapping me in the face by replacing the amazingly intense McGoohan with the amazingly bland Caviezel.

[ETM]
06-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Ian McKellan?

Okay, this just hit my radar.

They've been shooting in S.Africa for a while now, and he even blogs on the AMC website.

[ETM]
06-17-2009, 01:21 PM
But then there's the lack of Rover in its original ball-tastic form and we're back to suck-status.

You're like one of those "original BSG" nuts complaining about the lack of the robot dog.:)

Seriously though, I think Caviezel is one of the worst actors working today.
It's like AMC is slapping me in the face by replacing the amazingly intense McGoohan with the amazingly bland Caviezel.

I'll agree with bland, but he's not even a bad actor, let alone one of the worst. I'll give him a fair chance to prove his worth here.

EvilShoe
06-17-2009, 01:28 PM
;174694']You're like one of those "original BSG" nuts complaining about the lack of the robot dog.:)
I can't believe you just compared the two. :|
The original Rover is actually rather creepy, and adds to the eccentric nature of the Village itself. I think the remake will lack those quirks, and become more run-of-the-mill.

I'll agree with bland, but he's not even a bad actor, let alone one of the worst. I'll give him a fair chance to prove his worth here.Sorry, but so far I've only liked him in Thin Red Line. And that has more to do with Malick than with him.
I see Caviezel as a dark-haired Paul Walker.

[ETM]
06-17-2009, 02:47 PM
I see Caviezel as a dark-haired Paul Walker.

He was good in Frequency... Walker has zero range.

Mara
06-17-2009, 03:23 PM
I've never seen the original Prisoner, although it's been sitting in my Netflix queue for at least a year. I should bump it up.

And I thought Caviezel was good in The Count of Monte Cristo, which is sort of a guilty pleasure of mine.

EvilShoe
06-17-2009, 04:05 PM
It's hard to find someone to fill McGoohan's shoes, who's perfect in the role. Even if Caviezel steps up his game, he'll be mediocre at best.

Also, I still don't understand why Rover got compared to BSG's robot dog. :|

[ETM]
06-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Also, I still don't understand why Rover got compared to BSG's robot dog. :|

Haha! No, you were compared to the fans, because you're making it a dealbreaker. ;)

Sycophant
06-17-2009, 04:48 PM
The original BSG had a robot dog?! I retroactively hate the new show!