PDA

View Full Version : The TV Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53

number8
11-23-2008, 04:29 PM
I'm sure most don't know and don't care, but for the record, Sports Soup is an abomination. One of the unfunniest shows I've ever seen. Which is a shame since The Soup is one of the best shows on TV.

Figures. It sounded like a moronic idea in the first place.

Amnesiac
11-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Malcom Reynolds of Firefly and Serenity has been named one of the 100 Greatest Movie characters by Empire Online (http://www.empireonline.com/100-greatest-movie-characters/default.asp?c=51).

Contentious.

transmogrifier
11-24-2008, 02:24 AM
Awesome choice for #1

Duncan
11-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Anybody watch A Colbert Christmas? Pretty funny.

Raiders
11-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Hm, seems Ronald Moore and Michael Taylor (the Battlestar Galactica guys) have a new series in mind, and they have Peter Berg directing the TV-movie/pilot episode (same as they did for BSG). Sounds interesting at the least:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219836/

Apparently this has been out for some time. I'm a little slow, I guess. Also, this will be on FOX, which concerns me since they are always the network where good, interesting shows come to die prematurely (Arrested Development, Wonderfalls, Undeclared, Cracking Up...).

Sycophant
11-25-2008, 10:22 PM
Also, this will be on FOX, which concerns me since they are always the network where good, interesting shows come to die prematurely (Arrested Development, Wonderfalls, Undeclared, Cracking Up...).

Which brings up an interesting, flipside kind of points: Why is Fox pretty much the only network to take a chance on good, interesting shows like those?

number8
11-26-2008, 01:48 AM
Which brings up an interesting, flipside kind of points: Why is Fox pretty much the only network to take a chance on good, interesting shows like those?

They've been the highest rated network for the past 5 years, and that's just the broadcast channel.

You add in their News, Sports, FX and Reality channel, they've got more money than God.

number8
11-26-2008, 05:11 AM
Holy shit.

The Wire is still the better show overall, but man, The Shield's finale completely owned theirs. That was absolutely amazing.

Derek
11-26-2008, 05:34 AM
I'm so done with complaints about what "they" put on TV. It's always been the same, always. And to say that the Rock Band show is a kind of milestone of soullessness when there are dating shows on TV is silly.

Again, it's always been the same, always. Television has always been a lowest-common denominator wasteland. Hollywood has always been creatively and morally bankrupt. And people always are interested in celebrities.

But contestants in these shows didn't always drop a deuce on their way downstairs, right? Or if they did, the censors were kind enough to edit that part out for us.

Otherwise, I basically agree with you and think that sheer volume of wretchedness on television these days is relatively comparable to the exponential growth of available channels.

Derek
11-26-2008, 05:38 AM
I'm sure most don't know and don't care, but for the record, Sports Soup is an abomination. One of the unfunniest shows I've ever seen. Which is a shame since The Soup is one of the best shows on TV.

They had the host of that show on The Soup last month to do a quick segment and it was dreadful. The guy reminded me of a significantly less funny version of Rob Riggle and I don't find Riggle all that funny in the first place.

EyesWideOpen
11-26-2008, 11:50 AM
Anybody watch A Colbert Christmas? Pretty funny.

I love the Colbert show and I couldn't make it through more than 30 minutes. It was boring as hell.

Ivan Drago
11-27-2008, 01:49 AM
Moral Orel is really good stuff. Even though its earlier episodes aren't very successful, at this point in its last season the show has become very interesting. Its now often creepy, sometimes funny, and quite sharp, with its satire going beyond its original mocking of 50s and 60s sitcoms. My favorite episode so far is the two parter called "Nature," where Clay and Orel go on a hunting trip, as that one was funny and showed just how much of an asshole Clay really is. I can't wait to see how the show ends, if they haven't shown the last episode already.

Wait, the show is ending? Already?

MadMan
11-27-2008, 02:16 AM
Wait, the show is ending? Already?I believe they did plan a final episode, yes. But I have no idea if they have shown it already or when they will. 2008 will be the year of the final season, which is why they are airing 44 nights of the show, showcasing both new and old episodes. That's what I saw on Wikipedia, anyways.

Acapelli
11-27-2008, 06:07 PM
anybody watch skins?

Dead & Messed Up
11-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Black Friday has begun early. I just bought Carnivale (both seasons) for under forty bucks on Amazon.

Watashi
11-28-2008, 03:01 AM
The entire West Wing boxset is 75 bucks at Amazon.

I wish I had more money. :(

number8
11-28-2008, 03:40 AM
The entire West Wing boxset is 75 bucks at Amazon.

I wish I had more money. :(

It's worth it. I gots it from them too a few weeks ago, but it was a one day Gold Box thing. Good to know they're doing it again.

Milky Joe
11-28-2008, 05:27 AM
Black Friday has begun early. I just bought Carnivale (both seasons) for under forty bucks on Amazon.

A fucking steal.

number8
11-28-2008, 06:54 AM
My Black Friday purchase consisted of a Blu-ray player with Dark Knight pre-order for $170 at Best Buy. Not too shabby. They even threw in a free Joker poster.

Amnesiac
11-28-2008, 07:02 AM
I'm thinking about blind-buying Mad Men's first season on Bluray for $17.99...

Good idea or bad idea?

Ezee E
11-28-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm thinking about blind-buying Mad Men's first season on Bluray for $17.99...

Good idea or bad idea?
That rather depends if you find the show to be a good one or not.

I, for one, do not know.

But I got my my HDTV from Samsung for $800. 40inch, 1080p. Looks awesome.

Which Blu-Ray player did you get 8?

Amnesiac
11-28-2008, 07:10 PM
That rather depends if you find the show to be a good one or not.

Yeah, I don't really know if it's good or not. I've heard mixed things. Since the price is so low I guess I'll take a chance and go for it.

But I got my my HDTV from Samsung for $800. 40inch, 1080p. Looks awesome.

Nice. I got a 40 inch Samsung (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN40A650-40-Inch-1080p-120Hz/dp/B0014175NE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227902959&sr=8-1) earlier this summer. Quite awesome.

Duncan
11-28-2008, 08:32 PM
House is getting kind of terrible. That hostage episode was desperate writing.

Raiders
11-29-2008, 01:48 AM

Yeah, I haven't really cared for the last three episodes at all.

Ivan Drago
11-29-2008, 04:09 AM
I believe they did plan a final episode, yes. But I have no idea if they have shown it already or when they will. 2008 will be the year of the final season, which is why they are airing 44 nights of the show, showcasing both new and old episodes. That's what I saw on Wikipedia, anyways.

Wow. Why are they ending it already? Didn't it just get started, like, a year or two ago?

Oh well, better to quit while you're ahead.

number8
11-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Which Blu-Ray player did you get 8?

Cheapo Insignia. It's pretty good, actually. I wanted to get the Samsung with Netflix but I just don't have the money right now.

Ezee E
11-30-2008, 01:44 AM
Alright 8, lets see if this 5th episode of Homicide is all it can be.

Ezee E
11-30-2008, 03:05 AM
Not sure what was so special about episode 5. Episode 6 looks like the big one.

But by this point, I have become interested in all the characters. Will finish this disc tonight.

Raiders
11-30-2008, 03:09 AM
Not sure what was so special about episode 5.

Then there is no hope for you. It is certainly in the running for the best hour of TV ever. It shames all other "interrogations" in TV cop shows.

Winston*
11-30-2008, 03:23 AM
WTF, Bialas?

Spaceman Spiff
11-30-2008, 03:50 AM

House was always kinda terrible to be fair. That show always depended on how much you liked the characters, I think.

Ezee E
11-30-2008, 04:21 AM
Then there is no hope for you. It is certainly in the running for the best hour of TV ever. It shames all other "interrogations" in TV cop shows.

Um...

It's because it is episode 6 guys, not 5.

:eek:

number8
11-30-2008, 04:53 AM
My mistake. But now you know.

Frank Pembleton + Tim Bayliss = Greatest on screen duo ever.

Winston*
11-30-2008, 05:19 AM
Ah, wiki says it's episode 5 in order aired but episode 6 chronologically. The torrent I watched had episode 3 last.

Ezee E
11-30-2008, 05:21 AM
I should neg rep all you accusers.

Cept 8. He gets rep for recommending this show so much.

Ezee E
11-30-2008, 05:29 AM
But really, I've never seen an episode of television, network television, that is so daring and against the rules as that episode. There's a handful of times where you're thinking, "This is the time he cracks."

He does, but he doesn't. Then at the end, you assume when he's on his own, that he'll probably commit suicide. But nope, just watching TV. And another cliche begins, but it still goes against that, and finally fades to black.

Same goes for the police officers, especially Pembleton's strange way of interrogation.

An entire forty minutes in the interrogation room. Very impressive.

Now I just wish I had that next disc.

It'll be tough for me to avoid spoilers.

number8
11-30-2008, 06:19 AM
Now the bad news is that you just watched the show's peak.

There are other similarly formatted episodes that come close, though. Vincent D'onofrio guest stars in one episode that is fucking incredible. The entire hour is just him stuck under a train, dying, with Pembleton and Bayliss talking to him. Then there's one ep in Season 7 about a hostage situation that's just a negotiation for an hour.

But you'll fall in love with the detectives very soon (if not already) and even the Law & Ordery episodes are compelling because of it.

Ezee E
11-30-2008, 01:50 PM
It'll take forever for me to get that far. I'll probably take a break after this season, go to Lost, and then back to Season 3.

number8
12-01-2008, 03:30 AM
Hey, the voice of the Muslim wife from Simpsons tonight was the terrorist mom from 24 Season 4.

Saya
12-02-2008, 06:55 PM
I'm trying to remember the name of a tv show that aired in the late '90's (at least I think it was that time period). Each episode featured a bunch of kids sitting around a campfire and one of them would tell a spooky horror or ghost story. It was sort of like Masters of Horror where each episode would tell a different story.

Does anyone know the name of the show I'm talking about?

Kurosawa Fan
12-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Are You Afraid of the Dark?

number8
12-02-2008, 07:16 PM

Yep. It was the shit.

That and Eerie Indiana.

Saya
12-02-2008, 07:27 PM

Yes, that's it. Thanks!

Derek
12-02-2008, 07:27 PM
Eerie Indiana.

Hell yeah! There's an opening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU-DAWveB_g) that needs to get nominated.

Ezee E
12-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Are You Afraid of the Dark is what the Goosebumps TV show wanted to be.

There was one character in particular, no idea now, whose stories were always better than the others.

Winston*
12-02-2008, 08:29 PM
Three episodes into season 3 of Rescue Me. Too much ridiculous melodrama, not enough funny this season so far IMO. Also, what's Susan Sarandon doing there?

Ezee E
12-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Three episodes into season 3 of Rescue Me. Too much ridiculous melodrama, not enough funny this season so far IMO. Also, what's Susan Sarandon doing there?
That pretty much sums up the season. Season 4 goes that route too, but at least has more Lulz

Winston*
12-02-2008, 08:56 PM
That pretty much sums up the season. Season 4 goes that route too, but at least has more Lulz

So I should just give up on this show then?

Oh, I finished the first season of Breaking Bad. Pretty good show, much more for Cranston than the writing really.

Ezee E
12-02-2008, 09:52 PM
So I should just give up on this show then?

Oh, I finished the first season of Breaking Bad. Pretty good show, much more for Cranston than the writing really.
Depends how much you like Leary's character. Even some of its worst moments keeps me watching.

Acapelli
12-03-2008, 06:46 AM
anybody watch dead set?

Acapelli
12-03-2008, 07:19 AM
anybody watch dead set?
this was fucking awesome

Saya
12-03-2008, 07:03 PM
The producers of HBO's A Song of Ice and Fire adaptation posted a new message on the Westeros board:

Thanks again to everyone who has posted their casting suggestions and a special thanks to our excellent hosts here on the board for their synopses, which save us a great deal of time. It is encouraging to see that our actor/character ideas often match those of the board, and it is helpful to learn about a whole slew of actors we weren't familiar with before.

The age of the actors is a significant issue; trust us that this is something we've discussed with George since our earliest conversations (well over two years ago). None of the characters will be radically aged.

The location has not yet been finalized, but we're getting close. With any luck, George will be giving you an answer to that question before the end of the year, or very early in 2009.

Shooting dates have also not been determined yet. We're impatient, too, but as you can imagine this is an elaborate production, with large sets to be built, a huge cast to be filled, etc.

For those who would like to send resumes, videos, etc.: we hope to have a casting director in place within the next month. When we do, we'll let you know his/her name and where materials should be sent.

One last thing: our focus at the moment is on casting the pilot. So we're only worried about characters who appear in the pilot. Just so you know the pilot parameters, here's the first line of dialogue:

"We should start back."

And here's the last line:

"The things I do for love."

Sound familiar?

We think you're going to like it...

D&D

Dead & Messed Up
12-07-2008, 02:21 AM
I've been dealing with a hangover today, so I took the opportunity to watch some TV.

I watched the first two episodes of Firefly, which I've never seen before, and I will undoubtedly see again soon, since they were just that awesome. I also watched the first episode of Carnivale, and I love it just as much on a second view. And I also watched "Catch-22," the nineteenth episode of Lost season 3. Probably Desmond's weakest flashback (he joins a monastery), it's still a good time.

My favorite bit from all of the shows was in "The Train Job," when the villain promises Mal that he'll hunt him down and kill him, no matter what happens...

Then Mal shrugs, says "Okay" and kicks the guy into the jet. AWESOME.

number8
12-07-2008, 03:38 AM
Indeed. That scene was the exact moment where I fell in love with Firefly.

Mal sitting a second guy down and told him the same thing verbatim made it even funnier.

EyesWideOpen
12-07-2008, 04:27 AM
So I realize that the consensus on Kath & Kim is that it sucks but me and the wife watched an episode a few weeks ago and thought it was hilarious. We've now caught up on every episode and it's one of our favorite current shows.

Winston*
12-07-2008, 04:31 AM
It doesn't make sense to me why they would make a remake of Kath and Kim, since the original is a show entirely about silly Australian accents.

EyesWideOpen
12-07-2008, 04:37 AM
It doesn't make sense to me why they would make a remake of Kath and Kim, since the original is a show entirely about silly Australian accents.

None of that is relevant to me though since i know nothing of the original show other than that one exists.

Winston*
12-07-2008, 04:40 AM
None of that is relevant to me though since i know nothing of the original show other than that one exists.

I wouldn't seek it out. It's very annoying.

Derek
12-07-2008, 05:06 AM
silly Australian accents.

Is there any other kind?

number8
12-07-2008, 04:51 PM
SNL had two great sketches last night:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/47605/saturday-night-live-obama-plays-it-cool

http://www.hulu.com/watch/47604/saturday-night-live-snl-digital-short-j-in-my-pants

I'm pretty surprised that standards let that second one go without any bleeps.

Kurosawa Fan
12-07-2008, 05:08 PM
I really liked the opening monologue and the first "commercial". That's all I could make it through, but I have the rest recorded at home. I'll be watching it tonight.

Acapelli
12-07-2008, 08:11 PM
So I realize that the consensus on Kath & Kim is that it sucks but me and the wife watched an episode a few weeks ago and thought it was hilarious. We've now caught up on every episode and it's one of our favorite current shows.
it really is hilarious

there's this one moment where they all start singing under pressure incorrectly and it's just amazing. reminded me of the chicken dances from arrested development

8, you haven't seen/heard of dead set yet?

number8
12-08-2008, 12:48 AM
I've seen it. Not bad.

Watashi
12-08-2008, 02:31 AM
Is Jizz in my Pants on itunes?

I'm totally downloading that shit.

Dead & Messed Up
12-08-2008, 02:55 AM
SNL had two great sketches last night:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/47605/saturday-night-live-obama-plays-it-cool

http://www.hulu.com/watch/47604/saturday-night-live-snl-digital-short-j-in-my-pants

I'm pretty surprised that standards let that second one go without any bleeps.

Jorma pronouncing it "most-ih-ly" is the highlight of that song. I also dug Malkovich on the Vinny Vedicco (sic) show. Bobby Moynihan as the Italian son is really fucking good.

And did they get rid of Casey Wilson? God, I hope so.

MadMan
12-09-2008, 03:35 AM
Well I am now a fan of The Drinky Crow Show. Funny and twisted is a good combination.

Kurosawa Fan
12-09-2008, 02:47 PM
So am I the only one who thought "Jizz in My Pants" was weak, especially compared to most of the other digital shorts? I don't get it. The jokes were easy, and the video wasn't terribly funny either (though I did like the Timberlake cameo).

Arthur Seaton
12-09-2008, 07:04 PM
So am I the only one who thought "Jizz in My Pants" was weak, especially compared to most of the other digital shorts? I don't get it. The jokes were easy, and the video wasn't terribly funny either (though I did like the Timberlake cameo).

It was okay. It just reminded me too much of "Inner City Pressure" from Flight of the Conchords.

Dead & Messed Up
12-10-2008, 04:08 AM

It was good, but I really did lose it when Jorma busted out the "grocery / mostily" rhyme. I don't know why.

It's like the recent "Everyone's a Critic" digital short. It's mostly okay, just playing with gay uneasiness, but when you see Indy and Marion, it's that perfect sublime touch.

Sycophant
12-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Watched an episode of The Simpsons last night. Now understand why sometimes you people say "Boo-urns."

EDIT: Well, not so much why, but at least I now know where it comes from.

Winston*
12-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Watched an episode of The Simpsons last night. Now understand why sometimes you people say "Boo-urns."

EDIT: Well, not so much why, but at least I now know where it comes from.
You haven't seen that episode before? You haven't seen every episode of The Simpsons seasons 1 -8 at least 8 times? What kind of twenty something are you?

Sycophant
12-11-2008, 10:40 PM
You haven't seen that episode before? You haven't seen every episode of The Simpsons seasons 1 -8 at least 8 times? What kind of twenty something are you?
A really shitty one. I'm watching season six for the first time. Have seen most episodes before that only once.

Didn't watch it growing up. Wasn't allowed to.

Thirdmango
12-11-2008, 11:30 PM
I'm glad to see you're finally making it past season 4, I'm curious to know what you think of each season 5-8.

Watashi
12-12-2008, 12:14 AM
I'm halfway through Season One of Deadwood and I fucking love it so far.

Sycophant
12-12-2008, 12:17 AM
I'm glad to see you're finally making it past season 4, I'm curious to know what you think of each season 5-8.

Season five was brilliant. Season six is, too. As far as I can tell, this is Simpsons at its peak. Though some episodes in season four were the absolute tops.

Winston*
12-12-2008, 12:18 AM
I'm halfway through Season One of Deadwood and I fucking love it so far.

Season one is easily the best season. The rest is still good though.

Watashi
12-12-2008, 12:26 AM
Did anyone see Charlie Kaufman on Colbert a few nights ago?

Fucking hilarious.

Milky Joe
12-12-2008, 12:32 AM

I recently rewatched all three, and going into it I was of the same feeling (that season 1 was the best), but coming away from it, I think season 3 is the best, even though the ending is a little anti-climactic. It just doesn't get better than the stuff between Al and Hearst. Gerald McRaney is just so fucking brilliant in that role.

"Naw, Johnny, he's smart. Al and him's real fuckin' smart."

Ezee E
12-12-2008, 12:36 AM
Two has some amazing moments too. Most of them involving Garret Dillahunt. Although that goes for Season 1 as well.

Three is good, but nothing on those first two seasons.

Dead & Messed Up
12-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Passed the halfway mark on Firefly. Really enjoying it. My faves so far are "The Train Job" and "Our Mrs. Reynolds." I also have a bit of a crush on Kaylee. She's adorable.

Watashi
12-12-2008, 12:47 AM
I also have a bit of a crush on Kaylee. She's adorable.

Yeah, there's quite a long line for that remark. Wait your turn.

Sycophant
12-12-2008, 12:47 AM
I also have a bit of a crush on Kaylee. She's adorable.

I've been crushing on Jewel Staite for half my life.

Dead & Messed Up
12-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Yeah, there's quite a long line for that remark. Wait your turn.

Your av says it all.

Mara
12-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Passed the halfway mark on Firefly. Really enjoying it. My faves so far are "The Train Job" and "Our Mrs. Reynolds." I also have a bit of a crush on Kaylee. She's adorable.

"Our Mrs. Reynolds" is excellent, but I still think the best is yet to come.

Dead & Messed Up
12-12-2008, 07:30 PM
"Our Mrs. Reynolds" is excellent, but I still think the best is yet to come.

Last night, I watched "War Stories" and "Trash." The former is the one where Wash joins Mal on the trade, only to get tortured, and the latter has Saffron return to offer them a big steal. Both were good stuff, but I really, really liked "War Stories." The torture stuff was darkly funny, and seeing the whole gang grabbing guns and storming the castle for their captain was so very satisfying.

number8
12-12-2008, 07:55 PM
It's all about "Out of Gas".

number8
12-12-2008, 08:01 PM
I know everybody and their cousin likes "Jaynestown", but I think my top three will always be "Out of Gas", "Our Mrs. Reynolds" and "Shindig".

"Shindig" is classic just because of the sword duel.

"A great man knows how to show mercy."
*stab*
"I guess I'm just a good man."
*stab*
"Eh, I'm all right."

Also, I use the "I cannot abide useless people" line all the time.

Derek
12-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Did anyone see Charlie Kaufman on Colbert a few nights ago?

Fucking hilarious.

Yes and yes.

Two has some amazing moments too. Most of them involving Garret Dillahunt. Although that goes for Season 1 as well.

Three is good, but nothing on those first two seasons.

This.

The Al and Hearst stuff is pretty great, but it's got nothing on Al and Wu.

Duncan
12-12-2008, 08:18 PM
"Out of Gas" is the best for sure. That's the episode I think of when I think of Firefly.

Amnesiac
12-12-2008, 10:06 PM
Heads up for anyone who likes Angel or was thinking of checking it out: the entire series is only $50 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Angel-Seasons-1-5-30-Disc-DVD/dp/B000TLTCU4/ref=xs_gb_A15HTA53KRY0IC?%5Fen coding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=441937901&pf_rd_s=right-1&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1KRGHKD1AJQW4VNZQF23).

That is... a really good deal. I already own all the seasons, and I paid over $50 for each of them. And yeah, I'd much rather have them in that box.

number8
12-13-2008, 02:04 AM
http://betamaxmas.com/

Dead & Messed Up
12-13-2008, 03:15 AM
It's all about "Out of Gas".

I thought that was a very good episode (and clever with its flashbackery), but it didn't have much time for people being smart-asses, and that brought it down a shade for me. So much of the show is its droll attitude and goofy moments of humor. Especially any time Filion goes "Huh."

My favorites are probably "The Train Job", "Jaynestown, and "War Stories." The only one I didn't really care for was "Safe."

Sycophant
12-13-2008, 03:16 AM
Soon you will watch Serenity. It's polarizing!

Qrazy
12-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Macross Frontier was a mixed bag, ultimately kind of stupid. I'm not sure I'll bother with the earlier series. I'll probably watch the films though.

number8
12-13-2008, 03:21 AM
Soon you will watch Serenity. It's polarizing!

I'll say!

number8
12-14-2008, 06:01 PM
I finished season 1 of Damages. It's cool.

number8
12-14-2008, 11:34 PM
Good God, SNL was terrible last night. Last time Hugh Laurie was on was bad too. They're just not a good mix.

Saya
12-15-2008, 08:56 AM
I watched the whole second season of Avatar this weekend. This show is soo good. I really love it. Gonna start the last season tonight.

EvilShoe
12-15-2008, 09:20 AM
I finished season 1 of Damages. It's cool.Even though Close and Danson were terrific in this, I have to say Zeljko Ivanek stood out most for me.

Entertaining show, indeed.
Season 2 will have William Hurt and Timothy Olyphant in it.

number8
12-15-2008, 09:31 AM
I've always loved Zeljko Ivanek (from Homicide, obviously). Glad he got an Emmy nom for the role. His last episode was phenomenally acted, especially the flashback.

[ETM]
12-15-2008, 12:52 PM
I've always loved Zeljko Ivanek (from Homicide, obviously). Glad he got an Emmy nom for the role. His last episode was phenomenally acted, especially the flashback.

I hope we see more of him in True Blood, he was just too much fun in that.

Raiders
12-15-2008, 02:15 PM
I finished season 1 of Damages. It's cool.

Yeah, I quite enjoyed it. If nothing else, it was an extremely well acted show.

number8
12-15-2008, 06:08 PM
I'll say. Even Ted Danson was superb.

Can't wait for January.

number8
12-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Interesting. There's a rumor that Fox Studios will start shooting all its shows on video instead of film in 2009.

Sycophant
12-16-2008, 11:13 PM
It only makes sense, doesn't it? Should be much more cost-efficient. I'm surprised that there are many that are still shot on film.

Saya
12-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Some guy put a script review of the first A Song of Ice and Fire episode on his blog (http://winter-is-coming.blogspot.com/2008/12/winter-is-comings-exclusive-pilot.html)

Sounds pretty neat. It definitely seems like it will be a very faithful adaptation.

Duncan
12-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Season 1 of The Wire is good, right? Because I just bought it for my Dad having not seen it. I always hear positive things about the show in general.

Ezee E
12-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Season 1 of The Wire is good, right? Because I just bought it for my Dad having not seen it. I always hear positive things about the show in general.

Never heard of it.

EvilShoe
12-18-2008, 03:24 PM
The only other show I remember seeing Ivanek in is 24. He didn't have much of a role there.

Homicide, yes, I do want to see it. One day I will.
He was in Oz as well, another show I'd like to watch eventually.

Right now I'm going through Friday Night Lights. Surprisingly good show.
Impressive work by Kyle Chandler.
(I keep forgetting how young some of these characters are supposed to be. Some of these 17-year olds are played by actors older than me.)

Sycophant
12-18-2008, 03:33 PM

Yes. It is very good.

Sven
12-18-2008, 04:23 PM

It's okay. It first few episodes are a total drag, but it picks up.

Morris Schæffer
12-18-2008, 04:32 PM
The only other show I remember seeing Ivanek in is 24. He didn't have much of a role there.

He played a murdering retard in an early X-Files episodes called "Roland."

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t226/seriejunkies/Screencaps/xfiles_roland.jpg

:)

Milky Joe
12-18-2008, 05:58 PM

It's great. It just takes a little while (re: a few episodes) to get into the flow of the dialogue and understand what it's doing. After I finished the series, I went back and watched s1 again and found that it's brilliant from the very beginning.

Saya
12-18-2008, 06:06 PM
Just saw this on another forum. I thought maybe some of you would be interested in this.

HBO DVD sets 50% off at Best Buy next week List at cheapassgamer (http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207194)

Entourage: Season 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 >>>> $16.99 each

Band Of Brothers >>>> $32.49

Band Of Brothers Blu-ray >>>> $37.49

John Adams >>>> $27.49

Sex & The City: The Complete Series >>>> $99.99

The Sopranos; The Complete Series >>>> $174.99

Flight OF The Conchords: Season 1 >>>> $13.49

Six Feet Under: The Complete Series >>>> $124.99

The Wire: The Complete Series >>>> $89.99

Deadwood: The Complete Series >>>> $74.99

ROME: Season 1 / 2 >>>>> $29.99 each

Generation Kill >>>> $27.49

Curb Your Enthusiasm: Season 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 >>>> $17.49 each

Russ
12-18-2008, 06:10 PM
Amazon has both seasons of Carnivale listed at $19.99 each, probably the same at Best Buy (where I bought mine a few months ago at this reduced price).

Sycophant
12-18-2008, 06:10 PM
That I paid $100 more for The Sopranos on preorder than pretty much everywhere else I can find it now like three or four weeks later is kind of annoying.

transmogrifier
12-18-2008, 06:53 PM
It's okay. It first few episodes are a total drag, but it picks up.

Whatevs.

Ezee E
12-18-2008, 07:31 PM
It's great. It just takes a little while (re: a few episodes) to get into the flow of the dialogue and understand what it's doing. After I finished the series, I went back and watched s1 again and found that it's brilliant from the very beginning.
Yup. That goes for the second season as well, which gets labeled too much as mediocre in my mind.

I think each season gets progressively better until the fifth season. But only because it's pretty tough to match up with what could be the best season of any tv show ever.

Milky Joe
12-18-2008, 08:12 PM
I think each season gets progressively better until the fifth season. But only because it's pretty tough to match up with what could be the best season of any tv show ever.

You're probably right about this, but the show as a whole is so brilliant that it's hard for me to even bother making the comparisons between the individual seasons. Season 4 is undoubtedly the show's emotional climax, but I enjoyed season 5 just as much if not more than any of the others. It's like a 10-episode long denouement, and thematically it's maybe the most important of all.

Hugh_Grant
12-18-2008, 10:56 PM

Really? It seems like every time I turn on my television, there's Zeljko. He's awesome, so that's a good thing. Very happy about his Emmy win, and I hope to catch Damages one of these days.

EvilShoe
12-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Really? It seems like every time I turn on my television, there's Zeljko. He's awesome, so that's a good thing. Very happy about his Emmy win, and I hope to catch Damages one of these days.
Oh yeah, I've seen him around prior to Damages. He had just never made much of an impression on me.

I only remembered him from 24, because he had a lot of episodes in that.

Morris Schæffer
12-22-2008, 12:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmtcUpifwbs

The Beast starring Patrick Swayze!

dreamdead
12-23-2008, 03:30 AM
Finished the first disc of Paranoia Agent. Interesting storyline thus far, and I suspect that it's about to get weird since the assaulter has just been brought in by the police... sometimes Kon's script handlers get a little too cute with the internal alternate identities that seems to be one of his trademarks, but otherwise it's enjoyable viewing.

SirNewt
12-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Anyone here watch Madmen? I just picked up the first season for my brother for christmas. Neither of us have seen it. But I figured we can watch it while I'm chillin' at his place, in Portland for the holiday.

Amnesiac
12-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Anyone here watch Madmen?

Oh, yes. I'm two episodes away from finishing Season One on Bluray. The show is fantastic. Damn, is it ever good. I'm actually dreading finishing it.

But I figured we can watch it while I'm chillin' at his place, in Portland for the holiday.

Nice. You should just be aware that this show is a bit of a slow-burn. But, regardless, it is ever so satisfying. For one, it has one of the most enigmatic, and totally compelling, leading men I've ever seen on a TV show. And its supporting cast of characters are just as engrossing. Jon Hamm and the rest of the cast are just pure talent. They all got some serious magnetism.

However, the show does hold its cards close to its chest. But this isn't a bad thing. It keeps you guessing, constantly interpreting the motivations of different characters and trying to get into their head. And then, suddenly, you're treated to these sudden revelations — the layers that are slowly peeled back, letting you know more and totally hooking you in. For example, on any given episode, you'll see a minor character who didn't really interest you at first, reveal something that instantly locks your attention onto him or her.

Fascinating show. Top-notch, really. The performances. The dyanmic between the various characters. The atmosphere. The intrigue. The extremely interesting characters whose tantalizing secrets are carefully restrained, and then trickled out little by little, keeping you totally gripped...

Yeah, I like this show a lot. :)

Acapelli
12-27-2008, 08:54 PM
it helps that mad men is pretty beautifully shot

Qrazy
12-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Finished Season One of The Sopranos. Frankly I'm unimpressed. It's good, but far from great. It's nowhere close to the great mob films I've heard it compared to in the past. For starters the murders here lack the class and/or memorability of their cinematic counterparts. The hierarchy of the family is only moderately examined, how the money comes in and the business works is almost a footnote. Contrasted with the breakdown and examination of criminal infrastructure in The Wire, The Sopranos doesn't even begin to compare. I'll continue with it because it's enjoyable enough and I've gotten to know the characters but it's been way overhyped.

Melville
12-28-2008, 09:39 PM
For starters the murders here lack the class and/or memorability of their cinematic counterparts. The hierarchy of the family is only moderately examined, how the money comes in and the business works is almost a footnote.
I thought this was the basic point of the show. It removes the stylishness and the fascination with the minutia of criminality. The focus is on the individuals and the nuclear family, rather than on the family family.

Ezee E
12-28-2008, 09:50 PM
I thought this was the basic point of the show. It removes the stylishness and the fascination with the minutia of criminality. The focus is on the individuals and the nuclear family, rather than on the family family.
Even then, the focus on the family family is just that. Not necessarily the crime of it, but the relationships.

Repped, but mostly for the awesome avatar.

Qrazy
12-28-2008, 10:08 PM

SOPRANOS SPOILERS

It's a balancing act. The Godfather managed it. The Wire did as well. The focus on the nuclear family isn't my problem with the show. I'm saying when it is examining the mafia element it doesn't do it with any depth or significance. Perhaps I phrased myself poorly when I said class. It's not a stylishness I feel the hit scenes or mob related scenes lack, it's dramatic heft and gripping pacing.

For example, the assassination attempt on Tony's life. It's an absurd scene. The first assassin shoots and misses twice from point blank range then puts the gun in Tony's face and is disarmed. The second shooter then shoots his friend in the face and also puts his gun in Tony's face and is thus disarmed. That scene could have been played out in so many better ways with the same outcome (they die, he survives). So the show still embraces displaying the ugly side of mob life, I just find it doesn't display it very well.The primary murder in Killing of a Chinese Bookie for instance is not about glorification either but it's still memorable and has some weight to it. Ultimately I just don't find scenes are very well staged or that the cinematography brings much to the table. The freeze frames at the end of flashbacks, god I hate that stuff. And I don't mind shot/reaction shots, it's a staple, but they can become an easy visual crutch, as well as over-edited and bland if not handled properly. So keep the focus on the nuclear family, The Godfather does too. Just execute it better.

As I said though, I do like the show. It does bring something to the table. The character relationships are well handled and it's nice to see the effect the family business has on the kids.

Amnesiac
12-28-2008, 10:27 PM
It's an absurd scene.

Yet, greatly entertaining to watch (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=APQ8Z_UyEak).

Perhaps it is a bit unbelievable that Tony could survive that onslaught, but I guess you're expected to chalk it up to some really fortunate serendipity.

Qrazy
12-28-2008, 10:44 PM
Yet, greatly entertaining to watch (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=APQ8Z_UyEak).

Perhaps it is a bit unbelievable that Tony could survive that onslaught, but I guess you're expected to chalk it up to some really fortunate serendipity.

The kid missing Jules in Pulp Fiction I can chalk up to serendipity. This I chalk up to poor writing/storyboarding.

Ezee E
12-28-2008, 11:17 PM
The gangsters they hire tend to be pretty low-scale, and dumb. I had no problem with it when I first saw it.

The second season is the best though Qrazy.

Qrazy
12-28-2008, 11:43 PM
The gangsters they hire tend to be pretty low-scale, and dumb. I had no problem with it when I first saw it.

The second season is the best though Qrazy.

That's more than being a dumb gangster though. If you suck that much you wouldn't be hired as acting assassins on the murder of a made guy. The guy who dropped his gun and shot the truck driver earlier in the show, that was a dumb gangster and the scene worked. But the idea that both these assassins would stick their guns point blank at the target so that he could grab it and pull it away? Bleh. And there was never any closure on the second assassin (maybe it comes later in the show but who cares at the point). I just see a lack of criminal professionalism all across the board that doesn't mesh with the presumably 'realistic' (nuclear family of a ganster in the 21st century) focus of the show. The therapy scenes also take up a staggering amount of time and makes for some incredibly visually disinteresting material. While it's a compelling plot point to have a depressed plotpoint and for him to be in therapy it's also a very cheap way of communicating his psychological difficulties. Show, don't tell, particularly in a visual medium.

number8
12-28-2008, 11:50 PM
I'm not the biggest Soprano fan because I think the show loses direction in the latter seasons, but comparing it to Goodfellas or Godfather and the like is kind of silly, I think, because Chase's entire point with the show is to expose the real wiseguys that Chase grew up with as opposed to the cinematic mafia that have been imbued in American pop culture.

It's a bunch of people that have nothing to do with honor, code, la familia or competence. They're nothing but a bunch of petty, selfish, cowardly crooks in track suits, no more competent than your average ghetto gangbanger. Worse, actually, because they're all fat and middle aged.

It's Jersey, not Sicily.

Qrazy
12-29-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm not the biggest Soprano fan because I think the show loses direction in the latter seasons, but comparing it to Goodfellas or Godfather and the like is kind of silly, I think, because Chase's entire point with the show is to expose the real wiseguys that Chase grew up with as opposed to the cinematic mafia that have been imbued in American pop culture.

It's a bunch of people that have nothing to do with honor, code, la familia or competence. They're nothing but a bunch of petty, selfish, cowardly crooks in track suits, no more competent than your average ghetto gangbanger. Worse, actually, because they're all fat and middle aged.

It's Jersey, not Sicily.

It's just a genre comparison. I"m not saying The Sopranos couldn't be as excellent or even more excellent with it's focus on 'real wiseguys'. I just don't think it is. This is purely in terms of craft, not the focus of the content. Someone else told me that Sopranos was as good as the best gangster films and so I"m responding to that statement. I don't think it comes close.

Ezee E
12-29-2008, 02:07 AM
You've got a good point about no professionalism in this mafia. There is no code, no talent. If you're not making money, or threaten the idea of money, you're done. The easiest gangsters were hired, and they were incompetent.

The therapy cuts down a huge amount in the next few seasons though. To a point where you actually like the therapy scenes. A very important episode, and highly overlooked, is next season when they visit Italy, and Tony has a slight awakening to the idea of the mafia in this age.

Melville
12-29-2008, 02:51 AM
So keep the focus on the nuclear family, The Godfather does too. Just execute it better.
But as number8 said, these are two completely different types of families being focused on. In The Godfather the mafia is mythologized; Michael's character arc is a tragic downfall; and the family is an extended (rather than nuclear) one that is identical to a large extent with the family family. In The Sopranos, the mafia is part of the banal everyday; Tony is basically a typical suburban slob; his family is a typical nuclear, upper-middle class one. In other words, The Godfather's focus on family is the primary aspect of its construction of the mafioso mythology, while The Sopranos' focus on family is the primary aspect of its deconstruction of that mythology.

Now, I realize that after your initial post you switched to criticizing the show's technical quality, and I can't argue against that because the show is certainly no marvel of artistry, but I will defend the style of the particular scene that you criticized: the absurdity of the failed assassination attempt, and the style of its depiction (switching from slow motion quasi-portentousness to comedy) fits perfectly with the show's basic concept (as described above), since the criminal aspects are supposed to verge on silliness or insipidness.

Spaceman Spiff
12-29-2008, 03:04 AM
I got a belated Xmas gift - the 1st season of Six Feet Under.

I saw the first episode earlier today, and I'm wondering if this show is worth it. I'm not sure I'm interested in a group of poor actors with the hammiest delivery breaking down in hysterics.

Anyone seen this? Should I keep going? How good is this season?

Milky Joe
12-29-2008, 03:12 AM
I saw the first episode earlier today, and I'm wondering if this show is worth it. I'm not sure I'm interested in a group of poor actors with the hammiest delivery breaking down in hysterics.

Anyone seen this? Should I keep going? How good is this season?

:| Watch it. Love it.

Ezee E
12-29-2008, 03:26 AM
It gets better, but I saw the first season two years ago, and haven't really tried hard to see the second.

Amnesiac
12-31-2008, 08:12 AM
The therapy scenes also take up a staggering amount of time and makes for some incredibly visually disinteresting material.

Do the therapy scenes even have to be visually interesting? It's a showcase for some good dialogue and acting.

Show, don't tell, particularly in a visual medium.

Hm, yeah, obsequiously falling back on the number one screenwriting rule is nice and all... but regardless of that, the dialogue in those scenes is usually pretty compelling.

Furthermore, as the series progresses, his relationship with Melfi grows in some pretty fascinating directions. The therapy scenes really underscore some of the developments that occur in Tony's life in some pretty interesting ways. It's also used as a platform for his dreams. So, yeah, I think some interesting things do happen in that visually sterile office room. Eventually, their interaction ends up making for some pretty fascinating moral quandaries (I'm thinking of one episode in particular now, which most Sopranos fans should know).

Amnesiac
12-31-2008, 08:13 AM
I finished season one of Mad Men and I was telling myself I would wait for the next season to be released on Bluray but that looks like it isn't going to be happening until later this summer. And I can't wait that long so I got the 720p broadcasts and I'm playing those on my TV. Works great. It's a small compromise as the show still looks fantastic and I get the reward of continuing on with these great characters.

I really liked the premiere, too.

Qrazy
12-31-2008, 04:39 PM
But as number8 said, these are two completely different types of families being focused on. In The Godfather the mafia is mythologized; Michael's character arc is a tragic downfall; and the family is an extended (rather than nuclear) one that is identical to a large extent with the family family. In The Sopranos, the mafia is part of the banal everyday; Tony is basically a typical suburban slob; his family is a typical nuclear, upper-middle class one. In other words, The Godfather's focus on family is the primary aspect of its construction of the mafioso mythology, while The Sopranos' focus on family is the primary aspect of its deconstruction of that mythology.

Now, I realize that after your initial post you switched to criticizing the show's technical quality, and I can't argue against that because the show is certainly no marvel of artistry, but I will defend the style of the particular scene that you criticized: the absurdity of the failed assassination attempt, and the style of its depiction (switching from slow motion quasi-portentousness to comedy) fits perfectly with the show's basic concept (as described above), since the criminal aspects are supposed to verge on silliness or insipidness.

I don't know. I recognize the validity of what you're saying regarding the deconstruction of the gangster mythos as well as a greater focus on the banal elements of life, etc. But that to me doesn't mesh well with the silliness of that execution scene, it clashes. That kind of silliness works in something like Tarantino and to a lesser extent Guy Ritchie and assorted Japanese filmmakers precisely because their style is larger than life.

Personally I don't see the slo-mo to fast motion switch as a switch from quasi-portentousness to comedy either. I see it mainly as a way of generating tension and it works fine for that. What I have a problem with is both guys waving their guns directly in Tony's face so that he's able to grab their guns. It makes no sense (particularly from the passenger side) and it looks incredibly awkward precisely because it doesn't make any sense.

number8
12-31-2008, 04:46 PM
People shoot people in the face all the time. Criminal posturing, affirming their ego.

Qrazy
12-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Do the therapy scenes even have to be visually interesting? It's a showcase for some good dialogue and acting.

Hm, yeah, obsequiously falling back on the number one screenwriting rule is nice and all... but regardless of that, the dialogue in those scenes is usually pretty compelling.

No, it's usually pretty obvious in that it's a locale where spoon feeding the audience what Tony is thinking and feeling and why is made very easy precisely because that is the purpose of such a locale (therapists office). The acting is adequate, can't say I'm particularly impressed.

Furthermore, as the series progresses, his relationship with Melfi grows in some pretty fascinating directions. The therapy scenes really underscore some of the developments that occur in Tony's life in some pretty interesting ways. It's also used as a platform for his dreams. So, yeah, I think some interesting things do happen in that visually sterile office room. Eventually, their interaction ends up making for some pretty fascinating moral quandaries (I'm thinking of one episode in particular now, which most Sopranos fans should know).

Qrazy
12-31-2008, 04:54 PM
People shoot people in the face all the time. Criminal posturing, affirming their ego.

?

I don't think I said anything against shooting someone in the face. You can shoot someone in the face without putting the gun inside the car window. In fact it would be more awkward and difficult to shoot someone in the face by doing that. This isn't even an issue of character posturing it's just awkward stage direction.

Amnesiac
01-01-2009, 12:02 AM
No, it's usually pretty obvious in that it's a locale where spoon feeding the audience what Tony is thinking and feeling and why is made very easy precisely because that is the purpose of such a locale (therapists office).

I'm all for ambiguity and other means of demonstrating a character's thoughts, but I feel The Sopranos balances both ends pretty well. Tony's character is not entirely defined or elaborated upon by the therapy sessions alone. If that were the case, perhaps we'd have a problem. Besides, what goes down in the therapy sessions don't really stay unitary or static throughout the entire series. They do some interesting things with that locale and the whole concept that is tied to it. Which, incidentally, I do like.

The acting is adequate, can't say I'm particularly impressed.

Oh.

I don't really see how anyone could have a problem with Gandolfini's performance, as it's pretty damn impressive, but I'm sure there is always something to nitpick about.

Qrazy
01-01-2009, 02:00 AM
I'm all for ambiguity and other means of demonstrating a character's thoughts, but I feel The Sopranos balances both ends pretty well. Tony's character is not entirely defined or elaborated upon by the therapy sessions alone. If that were the case, perhaps we'd have a problem. Besides, what goes down in the therapy sessions don't really stay unitary or static throughout the entire series. They do some interesting things with that locale and the whole concept that is tied to it. Which, incidentally, I do like.

Oh.

I don't really see how anyone could have a problem with Gandolfini's performance, as it's pretty damn impressive, but I'm sure there is always something to nitpick about.

I don't have a problem with it I just don't think it's amazing acting (in relation to the scenes we're talking about) or more specifically great drama. There's nothing about the therapy scenes that says great drama to me either in the performances or how the director paces and edits the scene together.

On a general level I find Gandolfini's stuff with his kids is when he's at his best. He plays the hurt father very well.

Ezee E
01-01-2009, 02:07 AM
I don't have a problem with it I just don't think it's amazing acting (in relation to the scenes we're talking about) or more specifically great drama. There's nothing about the therapy scenes that says great drama to me either in the performances or how the director paces and edits the scene together.

On a general level I find Gandolfini's stuff with his kids is when he's at his best. He plays the hurt father very well.
Best episode, and of the best in the series, is the one with him and his daughter as they look at colleges.

Amnesiac
01-01-2009, 04:08 AM
There's nothing about the therapy scenes that says great drama to me either in the performances or how the director paces and edits the scene together.

Well, maybe you'll change your mind with the next seasons you check out.

Yeah, I can't really find a weak spot in his performance. I'm pretty impressed by it. There are performances in The Sopranos that bother me a bit, but his definitely isn't one. Also, I think the only specific criticism I've ever seen lobbed towards him had something to do with the fact that his orgasm faces are a touch too histrionic.

Best episode, and of the best in the series, is the one with him and his daughter as they look at colleges.

Oh, yes, that includes a pretty brutal scene from what I recall. A great example of the fascinating dichotomy within Tony's life.

SirNewt
01-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Oh, yes. I'm two episodes away from finishing Season One on Bluray. The show is fantastic. Damn, is it ever good. I'm actually dreading finishing it.

Nice. You should just be aware that this show is a bit of a slow-burn. But, regardless, it is ever so satisfying. For one, it has one of the most enigmatic, and totally compelling, leading men I've ever seen on a TV show. And its supporting cast of characters are just as engrossing. Jon Hamm and the rest of the cast are just pure talent. They all got some serious magnetism.

However, the show does hold its cards close to its chest. But this isn't a bad thing. It keeps you guessing, constantly interpreting the motivations of different characters and trying to get into their head. And then, suddenly, you're treated to these sudden revelations — the layers that are slowly peeled back, letting you know more and totally hooking you in. For example, on any given episode, you'll see a minor character who didn't really interest you at first, reveal something that instantly locks your attention onto him or her.

Fascinating show. Top-notch, really. The performances. The dyanmic between the various characters. The atmosphere. The intrigue. The extremely interesting characters whose tantalizing secrets are carefully restrained, and then trickled out little by little, keeping you totally gripped...

Yeah, I like this show a lot. :)

We watched about half of season one while I was at his place and it was great. I left it there for him to finish which is agonizing. I'll have to Netflix it or buy another copy I guess (this time on Bluray).

I was struck by how broad the characters are. The show starts out normal enough, throwing at you what seem to be standard protagonists and antagonists and then repeatedly turns that idea upside down. Some characters I thought would be perennial jackasses I now really like. Nice writing too, very witty stuff.

Melville
01-03-2009, 11:26 PM
I didn't realize the Sopranos discussion had continued.

I don't know. I recognize the validity of what you're saying regarding the deconstruction of the gangster mythos as well as a greater focus on the banal elements of life, etc. But that to me doesn't mesh well with the silliness of that execution scene, it clashes. That kind of silliness works in something like Tarantino and to a lesser extent Guy Ritchie and assorted Japanese filmmakers precisely because their style is larger than life.
But I'm saying the non-meshing is part of the point. First off, even Tarantino and Ritchie subvert the traditional mobster mythos by increasing the silliness and overt stylization of that mythos; they're purposefully being playful in their use of genre tropes. In a very general sense, the Sopranos does the same: the silliness subverts the notion of gangsters as slick professionals and/or honorable comrades in arms. But within the larger contexts of each story, these subversions accomplish the opposite goal. In the overall context of Tarantino and Ritchie's their larger-than-life stylization, the occasional bit of silliness or dumb luck adds to the sense of playfulness, humor, and spontaneity. In the overall context of the Sopranos' banal everyday style, the silliness and dumb luck just makes the whole glamorization of the mafia seem extra silly. The criminals are everyday people, incompetent in many ways. They idolize the gangsters in movies, but the scenes of criminality in their lives are ridiculous compared to the scenes in the movies.

Personally I don't see the slo-mo to fast motion switch as a switch from quasi-portentousness to comedy either. I see it mainly as a way of generating tension and it works fine for that. What I have a problem with is both guys waving their guns directly in Tony's face so that he's able to grab their guns. It makes no sense (particularly from the passenger side) and it looks incredibly awkward precisely because it doesn't make any sense.
The slow motion builds tension, but rather than that tension being released with a burst of action, it's released with a burst of orange juice. From there the escalation of the scene (Tony's bumbling body language as he scrambles into the car, the fact that the incompetent thugs both fail in the same way in succession, Tony's car crash as he looks back and laughs) seemed obviously comical to me. Not necessarily humorous in a laugh-out-loud way, but still comical.

Qrazy
01-04-2009, 06:26 AM
I didn't realize the Sopranos discussion had continued.

But I'm saying the non-meshing is part of the point. First off, even Tarantino and Ritchie subvert the traditional mobster mythos by increasing the silliness and overt stylization of that mythos; they're purposefully being playful in their use of genre tropes. In a very general sense, the Sopranos does the same: the silliness subverts the notion of gangsters as slick professionals and/or honorable comrades in arms. But within the larger contexts of each story, these subversions accomplish the opposite goal. In the overall context of Tarantino and Ritchie's their larger-than-life stylization, the occasional bit of silliness or dumb luck adds to the sense of playfulness, humor, and spontaneity. In the overall context of the Sopranos' banal everyday style, the silliness and dumb luck just makes the whole glamorization of the mafia seem extra silly. The criminals are everyday people, incompetent in many ways. They idolize the gangsters in movies, but the scenes of criminality in their lives are ridiculous compared to the scenes in the movies.

My concern though was not with a lack of glamorization. It was with a lack of dramatic urgency, tension, intrigue, or alternatively if the goal was humor/silliness than a lack of that in those hit scenes. I've since continued with the show and many of my problems in that regard have been solved, both in terms of hits and the handling of the mafia elements in general. For instance Paul and Chris's fight and ensuing difficulty with the guy in the Pine Barrens or the old man hitting Mustang Sally. These scenes/hits played out in much more interesting ways than the hits earlier in the series.

Examples of earlier hits being Mike's hit on Brendan, Mike hitting the guy that botched the initial hit on Tony, Tony hitting a few of Junior's guys, Chris's hit in the meat shop, or the actual hit on Tony which in my opinion goes far beyond character incompetence to plain old poor scene staging. For a show that suggests an interest in character psychology I would have liked to see something more dramatically compelling earlier on. For instance in The Godfather when Michael hits the two men in the restaurant you feel that tension both in the edits and in Pacino's performance. Here when Chris kills the guy in the meat shop the event just occurs and not in a slow burn, or shockingly abrupt or even in a significantly banal way because later on we're given a lame dream sequence to demonstrate his feelings of guilt. Chris feeling guilty and depressed about the murder is good in theory just as Tony's depression is good in theory, but I find the execution in both cases lacking.

Anyway, beyond the hit scenes, more importantly I wanted to see more of the different major members of the mob family and learn about their lives. That's what I was talking about when I was talking about exploring the workings of the mob. I felt that in the first season too much time was devoted to Tony and to his personal problems. I've gotten this expansiveness much more now but I didn't get all that much from the first season.

The slow motion builds tension, but rather than that tension being released with a burst of action, it's released with a burst of orange juice. From there the escalation of the scene (Tony's bumbling body language as he scrambles into the car, the fact that the incompetent thugs both fail in the same way in succession, Tony's car crash as he looks back and laughs) seemed obviously comical to me. Not necessarily humorous in a laugh-out-loud way, but still comical.

Yeah sure it's comical but it's also inconceivable. I don't mean their botching the kill, but their multiple missing shots from that range strains credulity and that reaches a breaking point with the double gun wrestling. Also I don't quite understand how/why Tony didn't hold more of a grudge towards Junior and his mom over that hit. The grudge in relation to his mother was explained relatively well but you'd think Junior would have been killed once he was out of jail.

Amnesiac
01-05-2009, 09:49 PM
The show starts out normal enough, throwing at you what seem to be standard protagonists and antagonists and then repeatedly turns that idea upside down.

Yeah, it's pretty good at sidelining you with intriguing revelations, big and small, that effectively peels back layers on any given character. The ending of the first episode is a perfect example of this. You find yourself writing off one character as being pretty basic one week, and then the next week you find out something about him or her that totally draws your interest and/or your sympathies.

The second season is even more fantastic, by the way.

EvilShoe
01-06-2009, 11:47 AM
I love Matt Berry.

Winston*
01-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Hey Evilshoe, is Ashes to Ashes worth watching? I saw the first episode on the plane and am leaning towards "no".

EvilShoe
01-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Hey Evilshoe, is Ashes to Ashes worth watching? I saw the first episode on the plane and am leaning towards "no".
Your gut feeling is correct.
It's basically Life on Mars, but everything's sillier and the lead is terrible.
(I did enjoy the finale, however.)

[ETM]
01-06-2009, 09:29 PM
My gf loved it, and I'm about to watch.

Keeley Hawes was the voice of Lara Croft in the last few Tomb Raider games, so I'm a bit partial to her performance.

number8
01-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Huzzah, Nip/Tuck is back.

Acapelli
01-09-2009, 02:28 AM
holy shit, eleventh hour is so boring

number8
01-09-2009, 02:54 AM
holy shit, eleventh hour is so boring

Better than Fringe.

Acapelli
01-09-2009, 02:59 AM
not really, i don't think anything can be worse than anything so unspectacularly mediocre

Spun Lepton
01-09-2009, 03:53 AM
1) New season of Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations. W00t!

2) I just watched the first episode of Kolchak: The Night Stalker, and, yeah, I'll be watching the rest of these. McGavin was perfect for the role. Thank you Netflix Instant-View!

Kurosawa Fan
01-09-2009, 04:42 AM
Does anyone else watch The First 48? I watched it tonight and was really pulled in. I'll be checking it out in the future.

Acapelli
01-09-2009, 04:51 AM
not really, i don't think anything can be worse than anything so unspectacularly mediocre
i rethought this and i'm pretty sure i wouldn't watch the city or bromance or any other show like those over eleventh hour

but fringe is still better

Ezee E
01-09-2009, 04:53 AM
Does anyone else watch The First 48? I watched it tonight and was really pulled in. I'll be checking it out in the future.
I've seen it at the station a few times, and it's also one of the few times that I can commend the coworkers on a good show. Police Procedural at its most realistic. Highly enjoyable.

Kurosawa Fan
01-09-2009, 05:13 AM
I've seen it at the station a few times, and it's also one of the few times that I can commend the coworkers on a good show. Police Procedural at its most realistic. Highly enjoyable.

Awesome. I was hoping I didn't just catch a really good episode. I set it up to record a few more episodes, and if I like them as much as I liked the one that aired tonight, I'll be adding it to my regular schedule.

number8
01-09-2009, 06:48 AM
I've watched a few too. If you like one you'll like them all.

Ezee E
01-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Haha at John Water's bartender cameo in the first season.

number8
01-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Haha at John Water's bartender cameo in the first season.

Homicide?

Ezee E
01-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Homicide?
yeah

Qrazy
01-13-2009, 06:11 PM
SOPRANOS SPOILERS

Finished Sopranos, in brief I stand by my initial criticisms in terms of mediocre storyboarded/staged death sequences in the first season. When you get well storyboarded death scenes such as Phil's or Ralphie's later on and then contrast them with the earlier stuff I don't find the justifications some cited earlier of de-glorification or the banal presentation of real world violence hold up at all. This show is just as interested in showing choreographed death sequences (build-up/death/fall-out in the environment... car rolling etc) as any mob film/show before or since it just didn't do it very well in the first season. My other initial complaint that there wasn't enough exploration of how these guys make their money (gambling, extortion, different schemes) is also explored later on but not in the first season so statements that the show isn't about that side of the mob life were false as well. Season 3 and 4 were my favorites, but I do also agree with Number8 that the show loses focus in the later seasons (5 and 6). There were too many dream sequences, and no one gives a shit about Vito's gay life in Gaytown or Mrs. Sopranos trip to France. Still all of the above complaints aside I really enjoyed the show.

On another note, watched Blue Submarine No. 6. It wasn't very good.

Also started Seirei No Moribito and it's great so far, very Princess Mononoke-esque.

Melville
01-13-2009, 06:33 PM
SOPRANOS SPOILERS

Finished Sopranos, in brief I stand by my initial criticisms in terms of mediocre storyboarded/staged death sequences in the first season. When you get well storyboarded death scenes such as Phil's or Ralphie's later on and then contrast them with the earlier stuff I don't find the justifications some cited earlier of de-glorification or the banal presentation of real world violence hold up at all. This show is just as interested in showing choreographed death sequences (build-up/death/fall-out in the environment... car rolling etc) as any mob film/show before or since it just didn't do it very well in the first season. My other initial complaint that there wasn't enough exploration of how these guys make their money (gambling, extortion, different schemes) is also explored later on but not in the first season so statements that the show isn't about that side of the mob life were false as well.
I only saw the first two seasons.

Ezee E
01-13-2009, 06:40 PM
Didn't you just finish the first season?

Qrazy
01-14-2009, 02:04 AM
Didn't you just finish the first season?

I'm a fiend.

Qrazy
01-14-2009, 02:04 AM
I only saw the first two seasons.

If you have the time and enjoyed those first two it's definitely worth watching season 3 and 4. Also I'm sure you didn't interpret it this way but just to cover my bases... my vague generalisations to 'some people' and to 'statements' was just in order to include in those comments other people aside from yourself who made similar remarks... so no underhanded slighting intended, if it came off that way.

Ezee E
01-14-2009, 03:40 AM
I'm a fiend.
That's like 70 hours...

Melville
01-14-2009, 04:11 AM
If you have the time and enjoyed those first two it's definitely worth watching season 3 and 4. Also I'm sure you didn't interpret it this way but just to cover my bases... my vague generalisations to 'some people' and to 'statements' was just in order to include in those comments other people aside from yourself who made similar remarks... so no underhanded slighting intended, if it came off that way.
Heh. No worries. I assumed you were mostly talking about me and number8. And for the record, I stand by my analysis of that scene, though if I watched the whole series I might think the scene worked unintentionally rather than intentionally.

I'm more interested in eventually seeing The Wire than catching up on The Sopranos.

Qrazy
01-14-2009, 05:00 AM
Heh. No worries. I assumed you were mostly talking about me and number8. And for the record, I stand by my analysis of that scene, though if I watched the whole series I might think the scene worked unintentionally rather than intentionally.

I'm more interested in eventually seeing The Wire than catching up on The Sopranos.

Your interests are rightly placed. The Wire is superior to The Sopranos.

EvilShoe
01-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Currently five episodes into season 2 of Mad Men.
I can't believe my reaction towards the first season was lukewarm. Don Draper is such a great character.

Sycophant
01-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Niles: "I see you were able to reuse the letter F." [paraphrase]

I don't like it when television sitcoms (or other network shows) acknowledge the word "fuck." I like to imagine that they live in a parallel universe where people dont' say "fuck" and "shit" or attach the word "hole" to "ass."

Because if the characters knew those high-level curses and used them in written communication and offscreen, then they'd use them onscreen, so it kind of breaks the reality of things.

Mara
01-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Currently five episodes into season 2 of Mad Men.
I can't believe my reaction towards the first season was lukewarm. Don Draper is such a great character.

I'm almost done with the second season, and I concur. I like it better, because I feel like I'm finally starting to understand these people, and consequently I like them better.

Don can be such a bastard, though.

I love Joan.

Sycophant
01-14-2009, 09:04 PM
By the way, for the last three or four months, I have been tearing through Frasier. In season eight now.

People, this is three-camera sitcom done right. It along with many of its mid-nineties contemporaries are vindication for the unfairly-maligned genre. Just a borderline unlawful amount of magnificent acting and writing all.

Mara
01-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Niles: "I see you were able to reuse the letter F." [paraphrase]

I don't like it when television sitcoms (or other network shows) acknowledge the word "fuck." I like to imagine that they live in a parallel universe where people dont' say "fuck" and "shit" or attach the word "hole" to "ass."

Because if the characters knew those high-level curses and used them in written communication and offscreen, then they'd use them onscreen, so it kind of breaks the reality of things.

Unrelated to television: I hate hate hate it when they use a line in a trailer that obviously ends in an obscenity, and they try to cutely cut it out. Made-up Example:

VILLIAN: I'm gonna throw your puppy in the pound!
SMART-ALEC KID: My puppy's gonna kick your--
[annoying "zippy" sound affect, and the camera cuts to a shot of the kid's mother, looking shocked.]

Sycophant
01-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Indeed. Sooooooo tiresome.

Amnesiac
01-14-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm almost done with the second season, and I concur. I like it better, because I feel like I'm finally starting to understand these people, and consequently I like them better.

It definitely peels back more layers, and that undeniably makes the show more interesting, but I was already pretty fond of those characters in season one. It does make Pete a bit more likeable, though.

Indeed, but the interesting thing about his character is that you find it hard to condemn him for his more deplorable actions.

EvilShoe
01-14-2009, 11:52 PM

I love Joan.
Great Joan line: "Describe her to me?"

Don's flashback episode in season one was actually when the show started to click for me. I can't hate him, he's emotionally crippled.

Thirdmango
01-16-2009, 07:15 PM
In trying to find new shows I accidently downloaded the whole first seasons of Kyle XY (I thought I was only downloading the first episode). It's easily a show in which I can understand any criticism of it, but I actually enjoyed the mystery in it. I'm just curious if anyone actually does like this show or if I'm alone in my secret liking.

Amnesiac
01-19-2009, 11:47 PM
Apparently, they're making a Veronica Mars movie.

Rob Thomas Confirms 'Veronica Mars' Movie!
by Jessica Barnes Jan 19th 2009 // 4:03PM
Filed under: Mystery & Suspense, Fandom, Scripts

When it comes to Veronica Mars, I know fans have some pretty strong feelings about the possibility of their beloved TV show getting the big-screen treatment -- but it looks like fans are going to have to get used to the idea. iF Magazine recently spoke with Mars creator, Rob Thomas and he told them that the unexpected scale-back of his current series Cupid has freed up plenty of time to get to work on the feature film version of the teen sleuth, and that it looks like a feature film will be gearing up for production.

For those of you who might have missed Veronica's short run on TV, here is a little primer: Mars (as played by Kristen Bell) was a high school student/private investigator who each week would take on a different small town mystery. Once described as "a little bit Buffy, and a little bit Bogart", Mars would solve crimes all the while dealing with the blow back from being abandoned by the popular crowd, and some serious personal issues. The show was beloved by fans, and even though it only lasted three seasons, it hasn't stopped fans from being awfully protective of their blond P.I.

So you might be wondering; what exactly does Thomas have planned for Ms. Mars on the big screen? According to Thomas, the script is, "...it's 70 percent broken in my head, I've been struggling with this one plot point and I'm hopeful to figure that out....I'm feeling like I'm on the right track now. But I don't want to give that away yet." The one thing Thomas did confirm was that fans shouldn't get too hung up on the idea of Veronica ending up as a G-Woman. Thomas told iF," it would open just days before her college graduation, so Veronica would be just at the end of her college career."

So now that Thomas has a little free time and cash (courtesy of producer, Joel Silver) to bring Veronica to the big screen, it sounds like a done deal (whether we like it our not). I'm just curious to find out if Thomas can satisfy Veronica's hard core fans. Sound off below....

Source (http://www.cinematical.com/2009/01/19/rob-thomas-confirms-veronica-mars-movie/).

In terms of long-dead TV shows, I'd much rather see a Buffy/Angel feature-film and a sequel to Serenity than this. When Veronica Mars was at its worst, it was kind of grating and ridiculous (and yeah, I realize these are charges many would be quick to lob at Buffy, Angel and Firefly) and at its best, it was gripping, engrossing and charming (the latter mostly being to due to Kristen Bell's magnetism). Unfortunately, I always felt that the worse moments outweighed the better ones.

Either way, I figured there might be some fans who would be interested.

EvilShoe
01-19-2009, 11:58 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Not the first time this has been rumoured.

Seasons 1 and 2 are excellent, 3 is pretty terrible.

Kurosawa Fan
01-20-2009, 12:54 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. Not the first time this has been rumoured.

Seasons 1 and 2 are excellent, 3 is pretty terrible.

This post is truth.

Man I hate admitting when you're right.

Mara
01-20-2009, 01:15 PM
I never made it through the first season of Veronica Mars.

I just got bored.

Amnesiac
01-20-2009, 02:44 PM
I never made it through the first season of Veronica Mars.

I don't really blame you. And I wouldn't say you missed all that much. The conclusion to the mystery is satisfying and all but things take a really silly turn in the later half of the season (wherein Veronica inexplicably falls for the show's grating douchebag for no reason at all).

Veronica's relationship with her father and Wallace were the only consistently strong points of the show. Every other character was so ridiculous.

Ezee E
01-20-2009, 02:58 PM
I watched the first episode of the United States of Tara on Netflix Instant Watch.

I will not watch further episodes. That was awful.

Mara
01-20-2009, 07:18 PM
I watched the first episode of the United States of Tara on Netflix Instant Watch.

I will not watch further episodes. That was awful.

Thanks. You saved me 45 minutes.

Ezee E
01-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks. You saved me 45 minutes.
Just 30, but nonetheless, you're welcome.

[ETM]
01-20-2009, 09:10 PM
The description alone seemed ludicrous to me, good to hear I wasn't off...

Qrazy
01-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Seirei No Moribito was very good. Anime fans, watch it.

Started Hellsing OVA, pretty good, very bloody.

Also started Outlaw Star, decent enough, will continue watching.

Oh and also watched Kaiji. It's somewhat mediocre really but boy does it suck you in.

Thirdmango
01-21-2009, 01:06 AM
Outlaw Star was the 3rd or 4th anime I ever saw back when it was on cartoon network and had no avenues to get subbed anime. It was a fun show and I'd probably want to watch it again, it was good enough to keep me into anime at the time.

The aspect to Veronica Mars I did enjoy was that it would almost say how silly it was while it was doing it. But overall it was a meh show, I thought Kristin Bell was hot. But that quip by Rob Thomas was probably just to get the fanboys to spark some internet interest so that producers could see the buzz. I doubt it'll happen but I'd watch it if it came out.

Mara
01-21-2009, 01:21 AM
;132580']The description alone seemed ludicrous to me, good to hear I wasn't off...

I really like Toni Collette. That's the only reason I was thinking about watching.

Mara
01-22-2009, 12:03 AM
Okay, I finally finished season 2 of Mad Men. This show has really grown on me-- I always liked the individual parts (the performances, the writing, the acting, the visuals, etc.) but had trouble liking the whole. I've finally come to really care about the characters and I'm starting to see where they're coming from.

For instance, the scene where

Joan is date-raped by her fiancee in the office

was beautifully underplayed. I completely understood what she was thinking and feeling, even though it's completely different from what you'd expect in the present.

EvilShoe
01-22-2009, 12:26 AM
Okay, I finally finished season 2 of Mad Men. This show has really grown on me-- I always liked the individual parts (the performances, the writing, the acting, the visuals, etc.) but had trouble liking the whole. I've finally come to really care about the characters and I'm starting to see where they're coming from.

For instance, the scene where

Joan is date-raped by her fiancee in the office

was beautifully underplayed. I completely understood what she was thinking and feeling, even though it's completely different from what you'd expect in the present.
I found the scene where she
sees Peggy move into Freddy's office
to be almost equally powerful, especially in combination with the one you mention.

Mara
01-22-2009, 03:06 AM
I found the scene where she
sees Peggy move into Freddy's office
to be almost equally powerful, especially in combination with the one you mention.

"He's a keeper."

I just about died, right then. Amazing stuff.

Amnesiac
01-22-2009, 04:35 AM
In regards to Mad Men... one of the many things you can say about this show is that it always knows how to end on a resonating, deeply affecting note.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0KRN69leV-Q/SLdMblylL7I/AAAAAAAACps/PbUP44NRX4A/s400/madmen6-don.jpg

The crushing toll of perpetual deceit, unchecked infidelity and its concomitant alienation and self-loathing... contained within one expression and one shot.

Some more thoughts on the show, now that some more match-cut folk have finally gotten around to seeing it:

I'm sure we would all agree that a very large part of the show is the enigma that is Don Draper. What exactly is he running from? I mean, his past, obviously. However, that past is still hazy. What in particular is the source of his alienation/ennui/dislocation? He's given himself a tabula-rasa once before, and supplanted a previous life that was full of yet untold wounds and anguish, yet this new life doesn't seem to be up to par either. It's insufficient, somehow.

Yet, the ambiguity in the show is so marvelous and keeps you guessing. I'm definitely not decrying it. Is it the lies that he has to keep up so obstinately that are distancing himself from people he once genuinely cared about like Betty? The fact that he's only ever giving her half of him, and that he can't find that solace where he can truly be himself... not even in his own "home". He has to keep up this act, this calculated charade, all day and that facade carries on into the domestic space. This part of Don is probably relatively obvious, and I'm dying to find out more.

It could be all this and, of course, more.

After all, he did mention trying to claw in at his life and actually feel attached to it.

I also found this quote from creator Matt Weiner interesting:

That image of him sitting there, being Dick Whitman is, who is that person, what's underneath that? He's not just a cipher, he's not just the guy from the horror movie "The Stepfather" who looks in the mirror and wonders "Who am I?" The first car that I bought, I leased it, that I did not own, that did not smell like coffee from driving around as a PA, that I hadn't spilled 80 cups of coffee for all of my bosses cause I was a production assistant and a runner, I got in that car and went, "Who am I now?" If you're lucky and you have roots, you can embrace that. And for a lot of us, it's like "I'm never going back there." Talk to any movie star; they're fighting to be themselves, but at the same time they wanted an extraordinary life. It's like going away to college, and nobody knows you were the one who threw up in the bus in seventh grade. You're not called "Vomity" anymore. That’s not me, but I do remember getting to college and meeting this woman who was so bohemian, and had such a screw you attitude about the world and didn't shave her legs and swore all the time, and she was so crude, and she had a friend visit from high school, and she was the valedictorian, do-gooder, ran every club. The overachieving high school student, and here she was as a chain smoking bohemian in college. It's the transformation of people.

Sometimes, it's a sick feeling to look at who you are, and sometimes it's just something that disappears. That's part of what Peggy is talking about to Pete. She's not talking about the baby. I hope it's not taken literally that way. She's talking about moving on in your life. "I wanted other things," but when she starts talking about that part of her that's gone, there's no one who understands that more than Don.

[...]

You think about that kid digging holes, and now he's got a job, got a model, they have this agreement that's mercenary on paper but obviously comes from what she said: 'We're making both of our lives better.' I don't think he is happier, he's got a chance to say -- when he says he screwed everything up, he can't get into his own life, what man doesn't feel like that? He wants to be in it. Is it the secrecy that's keeping him from getting in it, is it the damage he suffered as a child? This is what there is more for the show.

Source (http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2008/10/mad-men-matthew-weiner-q-for-season-two.html).

I'd be interested in hearing anybody's interpretations on what exactly makes Donald Draper tick. Or better yet, what his torment is all about.

EyesWideOpen
01-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Today's amazon.com deal of the day is The Wire Complete Series for $81.99.

Mara
01-22-2009, 12:23 PM
The fact that the writers of Mad Men have gone so long without having Don/Dick sit down and say "This is what I'm all about" is pretty amazing. Early on in the show, someone says about Don: "Nobody's ever looked under that rock." He is played as such a total blank that I can't even tell when he's lying and when he's telling the truth. (Like: Does he love Betty? Sometimes he says he does, sometimes he says he doesn't. All I really know is that he wants to love Betty.)

The first couple of episodes, I had a hard time getting a read on Peggy, Betty, and Joan (who are the most important supporting characters, in my opinion.) But I eventually figured them out. I think I know thier motivations and desires. Don is still very much a mystery.

Amnesiac
01-22-2009, 03:46 PM
The fact that the writers of Mad Men have gone so long without having Don/Dick sit down and say "This is what I'm all about" is pretty amazing.

And refreshing.

The first couple of episodes, I had a hard time getting a read on Peggy, Betty, and Joan (who are the most important supporting characters, in my opinion.) But I eventually figured them out. I think I know thier motivations and desires. Don is still very much a mystery.

Yeah, and that's really a large part of the lifeblood of the show.

And this is kind of out of nowhere but, I actually find the mysteries on Mad Men, with its languid yet rewarding pace, to be far more engaging and enthralling than a show like Lost. Some people might throw their hands up in the air at this, but I suppose it comes down to focusing that enigmatic quality down. Really working out a disciplined hierarchy, a specific focus... like, for instance, the construct that is Don Draper (and all it's associated anguishes and ambiguities). Conversely, you have a whole slew of bizarre mysteries on Lost occurring left and right, even including some throwaway mysteries. The show juggles all this with one foot in reality, and one foot in time traveling, and an arm in who knows what else. It's all about what you know, what you don't know, and when you're going to find out what you don't know.

Of course, I may be comparing apples and oranges but I think the shows are similar in that they stubbornly withhold information from the viewer. And this works marvelously for both shows. They both find a motivation and an appeal in that strategy. But I would say that Mad Men does it in a more enthralling and absorbing way. Perhaps this is the result of narrowing the cross-hairs down onto one man, rather than all this extraneous and outlandish island stuff that could be here or there. There's something very relatable and pathos-infused about the very focused and narrowed-in mystery that is Don Draper. By narrowing the canvas down (and this is not to say the other characters are miscellaneous, far from it, but they all play into a show that is very disciplined -- but I guess I might be treading into questions of genre and the baggage that comes with it), we really get invested with what we got. No worrying about the pesky Dharma Initiative, Hostiles, Charles Widmore and convoluted plot-twists every two seconds. Yet, I would argue that Don is most likely more complex than many, if not all, of the characters from Lost. Perhaps what this all comes down to is appreciating the more grounded quality of Mad Men as opposed to the excesses that come with Lost's more elastic logic.

The shows both succeed but somehow, I feel that Don Draper has a lot more to say about being a human being. The listlessness, the ennui, the shame, the self-doubt, the anxiety, the insatiability, the calculated process of construction, detachment, propagating the lie that makes the world go around while being dulled to its charm. There's just so much there that makes this guy at one second, a coward, a bastard, a survivor, and a tortured soul trying to find himself. Infinitely fascinating (so long as Weiner can keep this up!).

number8
01-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Fuck, I just bought The Wire yesterday and today Amazon has Deadwood for $60. Totally cheap, but I don't think I should spend the money.

Mara
01-23-2009, 03:49 PM
I've never bought used DVDs off Amazon before, but I really wanted the full series of West Wing, and they had it used for $150. I couldn't help myself. I hope it's in good condition...

number8
01-23-2009, 03:57 PM
I've never bought used DVDs off Amazon before, but I really wanted the full series of West Wing, and they had it used for $150. I couldn't help myself. I hope it's in good condition...

Hmm, I would've asked you to hold off.

Mara
01-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Hmm, I would've asked you to hold off.

Why? Are you selling it?

number8
01-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Why? Are you selling it?

No, it's just that Amazon's DVD prices fluctuate all the time. I mean, I bought the set new from them for $114 a couple of months ago. If you gotta have it now then you gotta have it now, but, y'know...

Mara
01-23-2009, 04:04 PM
No, it's just that Amazon's DVD prices fluctuate all the time. I mean, I bought the set new from them for $114 a couple of months ago. If you gotta have it now then you gotta have it now, but, y'know...

Sorry. Must happen. I'm not a patient woman.

:)

Mara
01-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Okay. So.

Last night I watched the Dexter s3 episode "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" which is about the nature of the predator (with Dexter being the lion, and the pedophile being a jackal.)

Then, during lunch, I watched the Office episode "Prince Family Paper" which is about the nature of the predator (with Dwight and Michael being sharks, and Prince Family Paper being one-celled sharks.)

Comparing these two episodes in my head is now endlessly amusing.

MadMan
01-25-2009, 08:04 PM
Over the past couple of weeks I have finally gotten to watch The Critic. A show that is not only very funny and sharp, but also a hidden gem. Its really a shame that its run wasn't longer, as Jon Lovitz is great in the title role.

ThePlashyBubbler
01-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Just grabbed the entire series of Six Feet Under for 60 bucks. :)

number8
01-29-2009, 03:56 PM
I forgot to watch Lost last night because we had a The Wire marathon and couldn't stop.

Now I'm afraid to venture into the thread.

Mara
01-29-2009, 04:01 PM
I forgot to watch Lost last night because we had a The Wire marathon and couldn't stop.

You need to fix this little problem.

number8
01-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Last night's conversation:

*Me and wifey in bed*

"Mmm... Yeah..."
"No."
"Whaaat?"
"It's like past midnight. I need to get to bed."
"Come on..."
"Hey, you're the one who turned on six hours of The Wire."
"Six? Ridiculous. It was like three episodes."
"Three?"
"Maybe four. But there were awesome."
"Uh huh, well, we didn't watch Lost."
"LOST WAS TONIGHT?!"
"Yeah, honey."
"FUCKING FUCK."
"It's Wednesday."
"GODDAMMIT FUCK!"

MadMan
01-29-2009, 05:43 PM
That conversation is utterly priceless. And actually I almost forgot to watch Lost last night as well. For one night I almost thought the show was still being aired on Thursday.

Mara
01-29-2009, 07:15 PM
I sympathize-- I'm notoriously bad about remembering to watch shows on television, because I rarely do, preferring DVD.

So I have my shows programmed on the alarm clock of my cell phone. It works surprisingly well.

[ETM]
01-30-2009, 01:49 AM

Yeah, a The Wire marathon pretty much makes you forget to... live.

dreamdead
01-31-2009, 01:41 AM
So disc 3 of Satoshi Kon's Paranoia Agent seems to have suggested a divergence of narrative connections. Does disc 4 (likely won't get to it till next week sometime) actually gather together the threads or did I just watch the filler disc?

Winston*
01-31-2009, 01:50 AM
So disc 3 of Satoshi Kon's Paranoia Agent seems to have suggested a divergence of narrative connections. Does disc 4 (likely won't get to it till next week sometime) actually gather together the threads or did I just watch the filler disc?

Disc 3 episodes are basically self contained stories if I remember right. Kon trying to expand out the series to show the effects of what's going on with people outside of the main plot.

Winston*
01-31-2009, 11:26 AM
Watched the first season of Damages. Enjoyed it. Unbelievably manipulative, at times irritatingly so, but never less than compelling.

It will be interesting to see if there is a dip in quality with Zeljko Ivanek gone, considering he much more than anyone else keeps the show dramatically involving. Patty and Ellen are fine but they're not really that interesting.

Qrazy
02-01-2009, 10:24 AM

Somehow surprisingly it all does tie together.

Ezee E
02-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Netflix sent out a survey to a select group of people about adding HBO to its instant watching for an additional $10 a month.

Eek, quite the price jump, but if you were able to watch the shows that were just shown each week, and have their lineup of movies, I'd have to consider it, because that's the only reason I'd want cable anyways.

Sycophant
02-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Over the weekend, I watched the first three episodes of Welcome to the NHK, about a hikikomori and allegedly his recovery. So far, it's really good! It's got a smart, empathetic sense of self-loathing and is one of the best depictions of post-adolscent malaise I've seen. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

EvilShoe
02-02-2009, 11:56 PM
Over the weekend, I watched the first three episodes of Welcome to the NHK, about a hikikomori and allegedly his recovery. So far, it's really good! It's got a smart, empathetic sense of self-loathing and is one of the best depictions of post-adolscent malaise I've seen. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
I really enjoyed that show. Nothing much to say about it, except that it's just fun to watch.

MadMan
02-03-2009, 12:47 AM
Because of the time slot previews for the show last night, I decided to finally check out Chuck tonight. And its fairly enjoyable and quite humorous. Plus they have Charlie from Lost (I completely forgot his real name) as a rock star, which is just great. The show is kind of silly in a way, but the whole premise seems to work.

Fezzik
02-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Because of the time slot previews for the show last night, I decided to finally check out Chuck tonight. And its fairly enjoyable and quite humorous. Plus they have Charlie from Lost (I completely forgot his real name) as a rock star, which is just great. The show is kind of silly in a way, but the whole premise seems to work.

Glad you like it! I love Chuck. It's easily the most geek friendly show on broadcast TV right now.

This week's episode was middle of the road, too. Some of them (like the one where they figured out that you could beat the arcade version of Missile Command by timing your shots to the rhythm of Rush's "Tom Sawyer") are geek-god worthy.

Plus...it has Yvonne Strahovski. Mmm...Yvonne Strahovski.

Kurosawa Fan
02-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Chuck rules. Though I agree that last week's episode was middling stuff. Fun, but totally inconsequential. Though I knew that's how it would be considering the stupid 3-D gimmick.

MadMan
02-04-2009, 04:53 PM
Glad you like it! I love Chuck. It's easily the most geek friendly show on broadcast TV right now.

This week's episode was middle of the road, too. Some of them (like the one where they figured out that you could beat the arcade version of Missile Command by timing your shots to the rhythm of Rush's "Tom Sawyer") are geek-god worthy.I'm no geek, but I think that is just awesome.

Plus...it has Yvonne Strahovski. Mmm...Yvonne Strahovski.Yes. She is pretty damn hot.

Qrazy
02-04-2009, 05:36 PM

Dominic Monaghan. He's a hobbit.

MadMan
02-05-2009, 02:18 AM
Dominic Monaghan. He's a hobbit.That's it. I completely forgot his name.

Right now I'm watching a PBS special where George Carlin has won the Mark Twin award. Too bad he's not alive to get it. Easily my favorite stand up comedian of all time.

Thirdmango
02-05-2009, 08:50 AM
I'm wondering if it was pressure from NBC or what but this season of Scrubs feels new and inventive and like they're actually doing something and it's funny. It's been so long since this show has been good and now I think they're finding their footing again.

Sycophant
02-05-2009, 04:48 PM
You're not the first person I've heard it from, Mr. Mango. I might have to check back in with it, because I loved seasons 1-3, liked season 4, and found season 5 and what I saw of season 6 positively insufferable.

Sycophant
02-06-2009, 07:54 PM
I really enjoyed that show. Nothing much to say about it, except that it's just fun to watch.

Now that I'm halfway through the series, that's interesting, as the show has a lot on its mind and a lot to say.

It's really quite good.

EvilShoe
02-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Now that I'm halfway through the series, that's interesting, as the show has a lot on its mind and a lot to say.

It's really quite good.
Ha, I mean that I have a hard time expressing why. At times it's almost cheesy. Almost, luckily.
I find it quite uplifting, the characters and situations endearing.

Amnesiac
02-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Looks like Max Weinberg might not be joining Conan when he makes the journey to Los Angeles.

The New York Post breaks the situation down like this: Weinberg has too many ties to the East Coast and the E Street Band and moving to L.A. would just complicate things too much. Plus, his true bread and butter is playing for Springsteen and moving to the other side of the continent could cause a huge strain on him and his family.

I wonder who they will get to replace to him. That is, if it's true:

Don't fret fellow Conan-heads (that's a new thing I'm trying to start now. I already got the patent paperwork filled out). There are two good ways to look at it. One, if the story is true, that means there are only a handful of shows left before O'Brien leaves Late Night for good. So the show is bound to capitalize on this and will spend their remaining episodes roasting Weinberg over the coals in ways coals haven't been roasted before. Two, the story was broken by that beacon of journalistic integrity known as the New York Post, so calling it a story is giving it a HUGE benefit of the doubt.

Source (http://www.tvsquad.com/2009/02/05/max-weinberg-wont-be-joining-conan-when-he-hits-l-a/).

number8
02-07-2009, 07:28 PM
If true, I would be very, very sad.

number8
02-07-2009, 07:36 PM
In other news, I just found out that Jimmy Fallon's house band is The Roots.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Ezee E
02-07-2009, 08:11 PM
In other news, I just found out that Jimmy Fallon's house band is The Roots.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.
Er... I don't know what to say. I still need to see them.

Uh... Sad...

Henry Gale
02-07-2009, 08:18 PM
I really didn't want to have to watch Fallon unless I was suprised by it in the first couple of weeks, but when I heard that they were the house band I changed my mind a little bit. They said this doesn't mean they're going to stop recording, but they're at least going to stop touring (for now).

Of course I'm going to get mad when they cut to commercials during their stuff except for maybe 15 seconds at the beginning and ends, but there's no way they can really change that. Unless they put that sort of thing on the website, similar to how other talk shows post songs that musical guests do after the hour officially ends online.

Just hope they don't waster them on the show.

Sycophant
02-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Ended up binging on Welcome to the NHK and finishing it up yesterday. It's beautiful and absolutely one of the best depictions of middle class early-twenties malaise I've ever seen. It lost a little narrative steam around episode 18 but regained it for the final stretch of episodes.

MadMan
02-10-2009, 06:48 AM
If true, I would be very, very sad.I agree. Max is usually great on the show, and if he's leaving it'll be a large hole to fill.

Derek
02-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Mad Men. Genius, I love it. Single-handedly justifies the otherwise worthless existence of AMC as tv station.

Winston*
02-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Mad Men. Genius, I love it. Single-handedly justifies the otherwise worthless existence of AMC as tv station.

Best show on TV IMO.

I think Breaking Bad from AMC is quite good also, though.

Qrazy
02-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Ended up binging on Welcome to the NHK and finishing it up yesterday. It's beautiful and absolutely one of the best depictions of middle class early-twenties malaise I've ever seen. It lost a little narrative steam around episode 18 but regained it for the final stretch of episodes.

Nice, been meaning to check it out for a while now. I've been watching quite a bit of anime lately.

The highlights have been Brave Story (film) by the guy who did Last Exile was quite good (certainly in terms of animation, set and character design) and Serei no Moribito (Samurai-esque, reminiscent of Princess Mononoke - by the people who put together Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex).

Also watched Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (first season) and Black Lagoon (both seasons) both fairly solid.

Oh and watched all five Hellsing OVAs. It's a bit silly in a sense because Alucard (one of the primary protagonists) can't seem to be killed so that kind of robs things of much dramatic urgency. The level of blood and crazy ass shit on display still makes it fairly entertaining however.