PDA

View Full Version : The TV Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53

Adam
03-07-2010, 07:59 AM
The Office had its funniest episode in a loooong time this past Thursday

Parks & Rec continues to be my favorite show on tv (I only watch like four shows, though). Ron Fucking Swanson

I don't get the Community love. Blandsville

Acapelli
03-07-2010, 10:29 AM
Those are some serious-faced, street-wise, world-weary Canadians.

I'm not going to watch it.
i have no problem with a serious canadian cop drama. i love da vinci's inquest and that one had doc coddle and dee from bsg and coach from glee in the later episodes

D_Davis
03-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Started The Wire Friday night.

I've got 2 more episodes left in S1.

Great freakin' show.

Anyone ever hear of it?

Glass Co.
03-07-2010, 07:43 PM
I always meant to watch Da Vinci's Inquest, but didn't because (embarrassingly enough) I thought so lowly of Canadian television that I never made it a priority. Would you say it's worthwhile to watch the whole series, Pelli?

Great to have you aboard, Davis. :) A word of warning though: do not go into my thread until you have finished the entire series.

number8
03-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Started The Wire Friday night.

I've got 2 more episodes left in S1.

Great freakin' show.

Anyone ever hear of it?

The what?

D_Davis
03-07-2010, 08:32 PM
The what?

Some cop show. Kind of like TJ Hooker, but not as good.

number8
03-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Some cop show. Kind of like TJ Hooker, but not as good.

I liked Dragnet. Is it Dragnet?

Winston*
03-07-2010, 10:03 PM
Anyone seen this British show Psychoville from two of the League of Gentlemen guys? I'm 3 episodes in, it has the weirdest tone.

D_Davis
03-07-2010, 10:26 PM
I liked Dragnet. Is it Dragnet?

Kind of, although its not as realistic, or hard hitting.

D_Davis
03-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Great to have you aboard, Davis. :) A word of warning though: do not go into my thread until you have finished the entire series.

Will do.

:)

Finished the first season. Loved it. I was a huge fan of Homicide, so I don't know why it took me so long to get to the wire.

Acapelli
03-08-2010, 03:40 AM
Anyone seen this British show Psychoville from two of the League of Gentlemen guys? I'm 3 episodes in, it has the weirdest tone.
the promo images i've seen made me not want to watch it. clowns and ugly people made me think it was going to be some little britain type thing

is it any good?

Acapelli
03-08-2010, 03:46 AM
I always meant to watch Da Vinci's Inquest, but didn't because (embarrassingly enough) I thought so lowly of Canadian television that I never made it a priority. Would you say it's worthwhile to watch the whole series, Pelli?
i don't know if i can recommend the entire series, as i've seen more later episodes than earlier ones, but i really like that they solely utilize season-long story arcs. and i really enjoy the lead performance by the guy playing city coroner da vinci and it gets even better when he becomes mayor

Thirdmango
03-08-2010, 05:07 AM

I have access to the first episode but haven't watched it yet. Let me know what you think.

Mara
03-08-2010, 07:29 PM
The jumpsuit problem goes away significantly after season 2.

I do not find the cinched cottony tops to be much of an improvement. Granted, it's not tugging at the crotch any more (the bane of jumpsuits) but the lines are less smooth and the shirts appear to ride up half the time. They are particularly unflattering on Wesley, as they give him phantom boobs because the fabric is so stiff and he's so skinny.

I seem to vaguely recall that in the early 90's there was a bit of an obsession with tops being cinched or tucked in. Not really flattering.

I can't quite decide if the tunic-length dress uniforms are hilarious or awesome. I think they might be awesome.

Mara
03-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Oh, and there have been some awesome episodes this season where I noticed more than the starfleet uniforms. I'm almost done with season 3.

Standouts:
Who Watched the Watchers (Ray Wise!)
Deja Q (It took me awhile to warm up to Q, especially in his first couple of outings. I understand he's generally well-liked.)
Yesterday's Enterprise
The Offspring (I bawled.)

[ETM]
03-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I loved the uniforms in Seasons 4 and 5 (currently at the end of S5 myself). Stewart also made it a running joke, as he would pull his top down every time he got out of his chair, which made for a nice dramatic entrance.

[ETM]
03-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Standouts:
Who Watched the Watchers (Ray Wise!)
Deja Q (It took me awhile to warm up to Q, especially in his first couple of outings. I understand he's generally well-liked.)
Yesterday's Enterprise
The Offspring (I bawled.)

Q is incredibly irritating as a character, but DeLancie plays him to absolute perfection. His relationship with Picard bookends the whole show in many ways, and you'll only fully appreciate it after you've seen it all.

Yesterday's Enterprise is simply too cool, even though it involves all the usual pitfalls of time travel. One of those I can watch indefinitely.

So, almost done with S3. I envy you so much.:) I want comments right away.

Mara
03-08-2010, 08:13 PM
They're still using jumpsuits on minor characters.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/problem.jpg

It's deeply problematic.

Mara
03-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Yikes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/problem2.jpg

Okay, I'll stop now.

Glass Co.
03-08-2010, 09:49 PM
;246689']I loved the uniforms in Seasons 4 and 5 (currently at the end of S5 myself). Stewart also made it a running joke, as he would pull his top down every time he got out of his chair, which made for a nice dramatic entrance.

Now known as "The Picard Maneuver", coined by Brent Spiner I believe.

And maybe I was being too kind when I said "significantly". I like the newer uniforms though. Never had a problem with them being too bulky.

It appears you are one episode away from the finale of season 3. Heh heh heh. :D

Mara
03-08-2010, 11:25 PM
It appears you are one episode away from the finale of season 3. Heh heh heh. :D

Hm.

Everyone is being very knowing.

[ETM]
03-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Hm.

Everyone is being very knowing.

Well, it IS one of the greatest moments in Star Trek canon.:D

Mara
03-09-2010, 12:03 AM
;246753']Well, it IS one of the greatest moments in Star Trek canon.:D

Well, I have a headache and wanted to watch something in the background while running my sewing machine, so I'll save it for tomorrow, when it can have my full attention.

Fezzik
03-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Well, I have a headache and wanted to watch something in the background while running my sewing machine, so I'll save it for tomorrow, when it can have my full attention.

I love TNG, but I'll admit I can never get the seasons straight. If it IS the episode I am thinking of, though..

heh heh heh is right.

ThePlashyBubbler
03-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Cool: Dustin Hoffman will play the lead in an HBO show produced by Michael Mann and David Milch (Deadwood)!

And he's now being joined by Nick Nolte! Anticipation for this one just keeps rising.

Glass Co.
03-09-2010, 07:40 PM
With all of this (potential) awesomeness coming up, it's looking like HBO may return to its glory days.

Mara
03-09-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm halfway through last night's Castle.

It is inexcusably silly, and Fillion is actually mugging to the point of being annoying. I didn't think Fillion had that point.

Mara
03-09-2010, 08:21 PM

It is inexcusably silly, and Fillion is actually mugging to the point of being annoying. I didn't think Fillion had that point.

Done. What a stupid episode. It felt like it had been written by someone who had never seen the show before.

ThePlashyBubbler
03-09-2010, 08:46 PM
With all of this (potential) awesomeness coming up, it's looking like HBO may return to its glory days.

For real. It's crazy just how closely they seem to be following their original plan for success.

Band of Brothers = The Pacific
The Sopranos = Boardwalk Empire
Deadwood = Luck
The Wire = Treme
Carnivale = A Game of Thrones
Six Feet Under = True Blood(?)

Not too shabby.

[ETM]
03-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Done. What a stupid episode. It felt like it had been written by someone who had never seen the show before.

Good intuition - this is (practically) the first writing job for Kate Sargeant. I'm about to see it, but if it's as bad as you say, I hope it's her last, at least on Castle.

Mara
03-09-2010, 09:54 PM
;247058']Good intuition - this is (practically) the first writing job for Kate Sargeant. I'm about to see it, but if it's as bad as you say, I hope it's her last, at least on Castle.

Harumph. I'm not surprised. The episode reminded me of this exchange from Mad Men:

Peggy Olson: Sex sells.

Don Draper: Says who? Just so you know, the people who talk that way think that monkeys can do this. They take all this monkey crap and just stick it in a briefcase completely unaware that their success depends on something more than their shoeshine. YOU are the product. You- FEELING something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do, and they hate us for it.

[ETM]
03-09-2010, 10:09 PM
I didn't mind it as much - I thought the killer's angle was pretty fresh - but yeah, it was exploitative and cartoony through and through. Although - Beckett in dominatrix mode = hot.

Mara
03-09-2010, 11:55 PM
;246753']Well, it IS one of the greatest moments in Star Trek canon.:D

HOLY CRAP.

YOU BASTARD SHOW.

Glass Co.
03-10-2010, 01:32 AM
HOLY CRAP.

YOU BASTARD SHOW.

It's a good thing you've managed to avoid that massive spoiler. Apparently that cliffhagner was actually the talk of that summer, when Trek was at its (arguable) peak in popularity. It reached near-J.R. like proportions.

[ETM]
03-10-2010, 01:47 AM
I remember watching in disbelief back then. However, the show was already shown in Europe without seasonal breaks, so I saw Pt. 2 immediately afterwards. I can only imagine what that was like for the US audiences.:crazy:

Mara
03-10-2010, 02:37 AM
Okay, the world has resolved itself, I am somewhat calm.

In related news, in THE FUTURE France seems to be populated entirely by the English. I do not think the French will like this.

Spun Lepton
03-10-2010, 02:41 AM
Okay, the world has resolved itself, I am somewhat calm.

In related news, in THE FUTURE France seems to be populated entirely by the English. I do not think the French will like this.

In Star Trek history, France surrenders to England in 2020.

Mara
03-10-2010, 02:54 AM
In Star Trek history, France surrenders to England in 2020.

I'll tell my father. He'll want to start stockpiling the good cheese.

EyesWideOpen
03-10-2010, 03:04 AM

It was my favorite episode of the series. :sad:

Raiders
03-10-2010, 05:03 AM
Yeah, I'm in agreement with Mara. It was a very weak Castle. I don't know why, but him being so seduced and intimidated by the owner of The Dungeon just felt way off.

Also, am I the only one who notices how thoroughly useless the captain is? He never has any useful insight, he always jumps to the easiest, most obvious conclusion and the actor always has the exact same expression. It bothers me.

Mara
03-10-2010, 12:31 PM
There was zero attraction between Fillion and the mistress. It was all quite forced.

And what was with all the cut shots of nakes bodies being beaten and tickled with feathers? It was too much of a tonal shift and just felt awkward.

The subplot with the daughter was stupid and didn't fit in with the rest of the story, except on paper. ("See, the murder victim was playing a role that didn't fit her, just like girls who want to be cheerleaders!")

Castle's I-am-being-sexually-teased routine got very old, even with Beckett (and they have great chemistry, generally.) The bantering dialogue all felt like someone was trying very hard to write bantering dialogue.

Take, for instance, the scene at the end when they finally meet Ryan's girlfriend. Given the reaction of the actors and the lines they are supposed to say, I take it we are supposed to believe that this girl blew them away. But... why? She was boring and looked boring and said boring things.

Minor spoilers, in case anyone's not caught up:

I also knew who the murderer was the first minute we met her. It was very obvious. That said, her motivations were actually kind of cool and creepy. I totally know a girl who was like that with her best friend.

I don't want to make it sound like the worst episode of television ever... it wasn't. But it kinda lowered the bar.

[ETM]
03-10-2010, 06:29 PM
Also, am I the only one who notices how thoroughly useless the captain is? He never has any useful insight, he always jumps to the easiest, most obvious conclusion and the actor always has the exact same expression. It bothers me.

I liked him in the several episodes where they actually used him. Most writers (I have no idea who writes these things) seem to choose to focus on the main pair, and only use Ryan, Esposito, the captain and the medical examiner as 2D stand-ins which is frustrating, because when used properly, they can work with the material well. Same goes for granny and daughter.

D_Davis
03-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Started Season 2 of The Wire last night.

Good stuff.

[ETM]
03-10-2010, 10:43 PM
It's interesting to see how many things the original Star Trek was made fun of for remained in The Next Generation... I'm rewatching season frakkin' six now, and they just reused the bio-dome from Masterpiece Society as a location shot.

Mara
03-11-2010, 06:35 PM
So. The Good Wife has gotten really... good.

number8
03-11-2010, 07:49 PM
I realize we have a lot of fans of some of their shows here, but I can't help it. USA Network gives me a feeling of ambivalence I can never shake.

Thirdmango
03-11-2010, 07:58 PM
I realize we have a lot of fans of some of their shows here, but I can't help it. USA Network gives me a feeling of ambivalence I can never shake.

Being a fan of a bunch of those shows, I can totally understand this feeling and often feel it too. It holds such a quirky market, and I do have a friend who will only watch USA shows because it's the only kind he likes. I don't agree with him, but most if not all of their shows whether good or bad have approx the same feel to them.

Raiders
03-11-2010, 07:59 PM

10pm Tuesday through Thursday = USA for me. Unfortunately all three just ended.

I can't stress how much fun I am finding Psych. I just mentioned it in the White Collar thread, but last night's Hitchcock-infested finale was pretty stunning.

Do you try and watch the shows, or you just find the previews off-putting?

Mara
03-11-2010, 08:00 PM
I thought you were a Burn Notice fan, 8? I saw 5-6 episodes of that but lost interest.

Digging White Collar, though.

number8
03-11-2010, 08:15 PM
No, Mara, not a fan of Burn Notice, Bruce or no Bruce. I don't have anything against it, mind you.

I've watched the shows. They're not annoying like the previews, but like I said, ambivalence. It's just... Things happen, some modest humor, quick wrap-up, inch a character development toward something that will continue... With most of the shows I really like, watching them actually feels productive. Like at the end of an episode of LOST or Glee or whatever, I'd feel like I've just done something. With these USA shows, after an episode I'd feel like I'm having a lazy day.

Mara
03-11-2010, 08:21 PM
I agree with that assessment on Lost, but not Glee. Glee is cotton candy.

I can understand your feeling that USA seems to make very... palatable shows. Practically toothsome. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, though.

I enjoy a meaty, challenging show, but there's something to be said for those that are just more fun.

Mara
03-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Now that Dollhouse and BSG are over, I actually have a bit of a dearth of meaty, challenging shows. :(

[ETM]
03-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Hmm... I only watch White Collar, but, to use your analogy, "heavier" shows feel like a hard day's work, and White Collar is like the refreshing drink when you put your feet up in the end. It's a different kind of entertainment that is equally required as the more engaging stuff, at least for me.

[ETM]
03-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Now that Dollhouse and BSG are over, I actually have a bit of a dearth of meaty, challenging shows. :(

I'm counting on the new stuff from HBO to fill the void.

Raiders
03-11-2010, 08:30 PM
I find I really don't want to watch intricate, "challenging" shows, at least not anymore. BSG was probably the last of those I'll watch. I have no interest in getting back into LOST. Dollhouse is something I definitely want to see to comment on it, but I just don't have the push to devote myself to watching it.

number8
03-11-2010, 09:03 PM
How about this analogy? USA shows are the kind of shows you watch as a marathon on a national holiday when stuck in a relative's house.

Mara
03-11-2010, 09:40 PM
How about this analogy? USA shows are the kind of shows you watch as a marathon on a national holiday when stuck in a relative's house.

Lifetime Original Movies are awesome if you're home sick.

Don't judge me.

Mara
03-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Hmm... might I have to catch up on Human Target?

Amy Acker is guesting for the season finale.

That might be enough to tip my interest into action.

[ETM]
03-12-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm enjoying Human Target a lot. It's nothing revolutionary, but it's just... fun. And the music rocks.

Thirdmango
03-13-2010, 06:00 AM
I was so happy to see Kris Marshall guest starring in this weeks episode of Human Target. He's one of my favorite British actors.

[ETM]
03-13-2010, 02:30 PM
I was so happy to see Kris Marshall guest starring in this weeks episode of Human Target. He's one of my favorite British actors.

Shut up, Doug!

Kurosawa Fan
03-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Anyone watching Parenthood? I like it. The chemistry between the family members is outstanding.

Winston*
03-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Only two more episodes to go in The Thick of It. This show is unbelievably great and everyone should watch it

99CZHHgAOy8

Mara
03-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Dude, Riker is a WHORE. He just doinked an alien nurse so she'd help him escape from a hospital. Have some self-respect, man. That's Kirk-level self-prostitution, there.

:lol:

Great episode so far, though. The last one, 'Clues', was excellent as well.

Glass Co.
03-15-2010, 01:30 AM
"First Contact". Sometimes I think I like it more than the movie of the same name.

Season 4 is probably the most consistent of TNG too. I can't recall an episode I didn't like.

D_Davis
03-15-2010, 05:11 AM
The Pacific was pretty good. Beautifully shot with a couple of real stand-out moments. Too short though to really get into; I wish the first episode had been two hours.

Can't wait for the next.

Sxottlan
03-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Being a dutiful son of Tucson in exile, I watched that pilot for Sons of Tucson.

Probably won't watch it again. Pretty clear that about ten minutes in this wasn't filmed in Tucson. No real local flavor to the show. Not very funny and as always, obnoxious kids will always make me want to change the channel. I don't think we even got a reason why they were on their own living in a house without any apparent supervision.

Pass.

number8
03-15-2010, 12:02 PM
I watched about 10 minutes, and they did give a reason in those first 10 minutes. Their dad was a rich investment banker sent to jail on fraud, but set up an investment house for them in Tucson. So the three kids took all their money and moved there (from where, I forgot). They have to hire a fake dad so they won't get sent to foster home.

It makes no goddamn sense, but they did give a reason.

Mara
03-15-2010, 11:34 PM
RE: TNG: Qpid

Worf: Sir, I protest! I am not a merry man!

Silly as hell, but I just laughed my butt off.

[ETM]
03-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Silly as hell, but I just laughed my butt off.

They really used every good (and not so good) opportunity to do a period piece episode. If there isn't a Best Of video of those episodes on Youtube, there should be one.

D_Davis
03-16-2010, 02:30 AM
Finishing up S2 of The Wire tonight. I like it, but not as much as S1. Still really good, but I like the Barksdale crew in S1 more. The Union stuff is OK, but it didn't feel as dramatic as the first season. However, I'm still loving the characters and the dialog - the two areas in which the show really shines. Some of the new characters are great as well. The Greek is awesome, and Nick Sobatka is pretty cool. I also like how Rawls has been used.

number8
03-16-2010, 02:35 AM
Ah, Season 2. Always so underrated.

Glass Co.
03-16-2010, 02:40 AM
I felt the same way about season 2 the first time I saw it as you Davis. It gains the most upon a second viewing IMO, so much that I think I like it just as much as season 1.

Of course, no season of The Wire can be fully judged until its conclusion.

Ezee E
03-16-2010, 03:29 AM
I think S2 is one that you grow to like more on a rewatch.

D_Davis
03-16-2010, 04:12 AM
I felt the same way about season 2 the first time I saw it as you Davis. It gains the most upon a second viewing IMO, so much that I think I like it just as much as season 1.

Of course, no season of The Wire can be fully judged until its conclusion.

I do really like S2. I like how intricate the plot is, and how it ties to different criminal worlds together. I also like Proposition Joe, and that bar tender at the bar where Omar keeps his stash.

Also, I think my favorite part so far is in S2 - when Omar takes the stand and totally clowns Levy. I can't stand that guy Levy. Out of all of the criminals in the show, he's the most snake-like and evil as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather deal with bona fide thug.

D_Davis
03-16-2010, 04:22 AM
One of the things I really love about The Wire is how it's not afraid to show how dull police work can be. Rather than superfluous shoot outs and car chases, they have long scenes of the detectives typing, filling out paper work, sitting around, waiting, and just collecting evidence to build the case. And what little action there is is filmed without glorifying the violence or making it to be exciting. It really respects the reality of the procedure, or at least a fictional reality that feels real.

This is especially true when Dee dies. In any other show he would have fought back and won at the last second, but here they play by rules closer to the reality of the situation. He gets it, and that's it. No second chances, no heroics, no come-backs. Very brave.

Mara
03-16-2010, 08:03 PM
RE: TNG

"In Theory" had so much potential. Great Data moments, both funny and poignant... but the B story was convoluted and uninteresting and detracted from the whole.

[ETM]
03-16-2010, 08:09 PM

"In Theory" had so much potential. Great Data moments, both funny and poignant... but the B story was convoluted and uninteresting and detracted from the whole.

You know the 90s Star Trek "OMG, we have to have sci-fi to counter the romance angle!" It's a highly quotable episode, though.:)

BTW, the finale is quite cool.

Glass Co.
03-16-2010, 09:54 PM
;248603']You know the 90s Star Trek "OMG, we have to have sci-fi to counter the romance angle!" It's a highly quotable episode, though.:)

Somewhat understandable though. "Family", the only episode that doesn't contain any sci-fi aspect, got the worst ratings of the entire series. Stupid general public.

[ETM]
03-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Yeah, Family is a very important episode. Generations plays directly off of its plot. It's worth it for the scene with Robert in the vineyard alone.

Mara
03-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Somewhat understandable though. "Family", the only episode that doesn't contain any sci-fi aspect, got the worst ratings of the entire series. Stupid general public.

What? That episode was great. Lots of Picard self-doubt and Worf insight.

I really like the BtVS episode "Family", too. (The one where you meet Tara's family.) It's a good episode title, apparently.

Mara
03-16-2010, 10:59 PM
The urge to rewatch Buffy season 5 is suddenly overwhelming.

Mara
03-16-2010, 11:08 PM
XANDER: You're dealing with all of us.

SPIKE: Except me.

XANDER: Except Spike.

SPIKE: I don't care what happens.

*runs off to find season 5 DVDs*

Mara
03-17-2010, 12:46 AM

Why why WHY do they keep bringing Tasha back? Nobody misses her.

Mara
03-17-2010, 02:55 AM
Darmok was an interesting episode with a lot to say about cultural communication.

So, naturally, I'm going to discuss clothes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/picards_jacket.jpg

This outfit was hot. Loved the jacket, loved the shirt underneath. So much more flattering than the standard uniform.

At one point, Picard even got the patented Kirk ab-revealing-slash-wound. Plus he quoted the Epic of Gilgamesh, so now I must bear his children.

number8
03-17-2010, 03:53 AM
Justified is going to be my new favorite show, isn't it?

Raiders
03-17-2010, 04:03 AM

I thought Olyphant was great... the rest, I'm not sold yet.

number8
03-17-2010, 04:06 AM
I'm sold. I spent my high school years eating up Elmore Leonard novels, and I guess after all these years, I still have a soft spot for that tough guy dialogue.

"Who are you? The undertaker?"
"Might be undertakin' a situation right here."

God, I loved it.

D_Davis
03-17-2010, 04:14 AM
I'd like to see an HBO series of Joe R. Lansdale's Hap and Leonard novels. Each novel could be a season. It'd probably be the best HBO series ever. Tough guys, crime, drugs, humor, commentary on racism and homosexuality in the rural south, and Lansdale's top-notch characterizations and dialog.

[ETM]
03-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Darmok was an interesting episode with a lot to say about cultural communication.

Sokath, his eyes open!:)

This outfit was hot. Loved the jacket, loved the shirt underneath. So much more flattering than the standard uniform.

He gets to wear that a lot later.

Mara
03-17-2010, 12:28 PM

Ooooh, I was waiting to hear reactions. Worth checking out, I take it.

[ETM]
03-17-2010, 07:34 PM
I enjoyed Justified very much, for what it's worth.

Spun Lepton
03-17-2010, 10:18 PM
I'd like to see an HBO series of Joe R. Lansdale's Hap and Leonard novels. Each novel could be a season. It'd probably be the best HBO series ever. Tough guys, crime, drugs, humor, commentary on racism and homosexuality in the rural south, and Lansdale's top-notch characterizations and dialog.

I need to read these. I love The Drive-In books.

D_Davis
03-18-2010, 02:54 AM
I've noticed that George Pelecanos has a more active role in S3 of The Wire. That's a good thing. He's a great writer.

Mara
03-18-2010, 03:20 AM

:eek:

Michelle Forbes has not aged in twenty years. I think she might be a vampire.

[ETM]
03-18-2010, 12:18 PM

She looked awesome in TNG. I dare you to find anyone who had a better fitting uniform.

Dead & Messed Up
03-19-2010, 03:42 AM
Last night, I was watching [b]MST3K[b]'s episode where they tackled "The Indestructible Man," and while it's not one of their best, there was this amazing scene where two protags were telling their life stories in a car, and Joel and the 'bots couldn't take it.

Tom Servo tried to take a nap, Joel kept screaming for the scene to end, Crow tried to sneak away multiple times. It was so goddamn funny.

thefourthwall
03-19-2010, 03:40 PM
dreamdead and I have recently started watching Lost (2 seasons in 2 weeks). I've been very careful to keep myself from spoilers, but would love to see some discussion of what I've seen thus far. Is the Lost thread safe to go into?

Mara
03-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Is the Lost thread safe to go into?

NO.

You can post in here, or you might want to start a new thread.

thefourthwall
03-19-2010, 03:45 PM
NO.

You can post in here, or you might want to start a new thread.

Thanks for the warning! Hmm...starting a new thread...would that take time away from the actual Lost watching? We shall see.

Mara
03-20-2010, 12:57 AM

Like having Spock show up isn't awesome enough... Worf sings opera? This is a cool episode.

[ETM]
03-20-2010, 05:41 AM

Like having Spock show up isn't awesome enough... Worf sings opera? This is a cool episode.

It's odd that they never quite nailed Worf as a character... on one hand, he's serious, reserved, loyal and dependable, but I find that too easily they write the "hot Klingon blood" plot device into some stories where he just becomes as easy to get excited, annoyed or riled up as a child, and completely forgets himself.

And yes, great episode.:D The "big picture" diplomatic stories that don't have the usual "A plot + B plot" format were always my favorite.

Winston*
03-20-2010, 05:48 AM
The Justified pilot is rad.

Mara
03-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Oh, here's another tv trope that's fun-- obviously just encountered it in TNG.

GROUP AMNESIA: everyone forgets everything. I know it happens in Angel (Spin the Bottle) and BtVS (Tabula Rasa... and was this episode awesome or what?) Tvtrops.org says it happens in Stargate Atlantis and The Addams Family. Can anyone else think of examples?

It seems odd that it hasn't happened in Torchwood. That is SUCH a Torchwood plot.

[ETM]
03-20-2010, 11:56 PM
TNG did it rather well, I thought. I can't think of any other example, not a clear-cut one in any case.

And Torchwood did have a similar concept - remember "Adam"? It was actually pretty close to the TNG episode, if I recall correctly.:)

Mara
03-21-2010, 12:14 AM
;249557']
And Torchwood did have a similar concept - remember "Adam"? It was actually pretty close to the TNG episode, if I recall correctly.:)

OH YEAH. Adam fully counts.

Qrazy
03-22-2010, 07:06 AM
Sweet first ep for Breaking Bad season three.

Morris Schæffer
03-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Great episode so far, though. The last one, 'Clues', was excellent as well.

God, I love Clues. Something about Picard being ultra-commanding that fucking made that episode.

Morris Schæffer
03-22-2010, 11:46 AM

She's in one of the finest of TNG episodes. I think it was called "The Next Phase." It was helmed by David Carson, who probably on the strenght of such episodes (Yesterday's Enterprise), was chosen to helm ST: Generations.

Mara
03-22-2010, 12:55 PM
She's in one of the finest of TNG episodes. I think it was called "The Next Phase." It was helmed by David Carson, who probably on the strenght of such episodes (Yesterday's Enterprise), was chosen to helm ST: Generations.

Yes, I just saw it. Both that, along with the following, "The Inner Light" were excellent but with the same little thing that bothered me. I feel like there's a certain amount of emotional dishonesty going on in TNG, and I'm getting tired of it. I understand that 1) this is a television show and there's a limit to the amount of time that can be spent on grief and 2) that these characters are supposed to be soldiers, but nevertheless, I feel deeply cheated by the way they all react to the supposed death or loss of loved ones. One of the greatest things about the show is how deeply these characters care about one another and trust one another, but on the mulitple occasions where characters are lost/dead/presumed dead there is almost no reaction.

In "The Next Phase" (which was primarily awesome, especially when Ensign Ro thinks she's dead) the only person who is shown to be grieving at all is Data. The android. Everyone else acts as if they are being mildly inconvenienced, especially Riker and the captain.

In "The Inner Light", which was a FANTASTIC premise, I can't handle how quickly Picard let go of his false life. If he genuinely fell in love, had children and grandchildren, and really loved them (and I believe he did), losing them would completely incapacitate him. There is no adjustment back from that. No matter how you can rationalize it logically, the emotional loss would be crippling.

I watched a bunch of episodes yesterday because I'm finishing up a sewing project. A couple quick thoughts:

"The Outcast" was deeply silly.

"The Perfect Mate" is an exact blend of two previous Star Trek episodes ("The Dauphin" in TNG and "Elaan of Troyius" in TOS) but is vastly superior to both of them. Also, Famke Janssen is stunningly beautiful in this episode. And they gave her attractive clothes, which proves they DO know how to make them. Also, she and Stewart were later X-Men together, and wouldn't Jean Gray and Dr. Xavier been a great couple?

"I, Borg" was excellent, and its storyline was lifted practically verbatim for the BSG episode "A Measure of Salvation."

[ETM]
03-22-2010, 01:24 PM
In "The Next Phase" (which was primarily awesome, especially when Ensign Ro thinks she's dead) the only person who is shown to be grieving at all is Data. The android. Everyone else acts as if they are being mildly inconvenienced, especially Riker and the captain.

I agree. It has bothered me as well, but, as you said yourself, not enough to ruin the episode.

In "The Inner Light", which was a FANTASTIC premise, I can't handle how quickly Picard let go of his false life. If he genuinely fell in love, had children and grandchildren, and really loved them (and I believe he did), losing them would completely incapacitate him. There is no adjustment back from that. No matter how you can rationalize it logically, the emotional loss would be crippling.

Since the scientific postulate of the story is rather ludicrous itself (a civilization with rudimentary technology at best launches a probe with such sophisticated tasks which not only work perfectly but cannot be stopped by advanced tech of the Enterprise?), I have always rationalized that aspect with that being the probe's purpose - once its program is over, it is supposed to leave the one who "lived" it with vivid memories, not an overwhelming sense of loss. In a sense, I think it "restored" Picard to who he was when it began, but enriched him with the memories of an entire other life. Plus, he did get to say goodbye to everyone he cared about in the other life while he was still living it, so there should have been sufficient closure in the end.

EDIT: Btw, I think you're gonna love the continuity - the events of Inner Light live on in further episodes even though it's a classic one-off.

Mara
03-22-2010, 01:27 PM
;249838']
Since the scientific postulate of the story is rather ludicrous itself (a civilization with rudimentary technology at best launches a probe with such sophisticated tasks which not only work perfectly but cannot be stopped by advanced tech of the Enterprise?), I have always rationalized that aspect with that being the probe's purpose - once its program is over, it is supposed to leave the one who "lived" it with vivid memories, not an overwhelming sense of loss. In a sense, I think it "restored" Picard to who he was when it began, but enriched him with the memories of an entire other life. Plus, he did get to say goodbye to everyone he cared about in the other life while he was still living it, so there should have been sufficient closure in the end.

Hmm. I accept your premise. Because it will help me enjoy the episode more whole-heartedly.

Glass Co.
03-22-2010, 05:12 PM
The Inner Light is definitely one of those cases where I am willing to overlook minor flaws because the big picture is so awesome.

Mara
03-22-2010, 05:40 PM
The Inner Light is definitely one of those cases where I am willing to overlook minor flaws because the big picture is so awesome.

It was good at the time, but it's even better in retrospect. This one, I may watch again. (The flute!)

By the way, I remembered vaguely an old Cracked article that mentioned the episode "The Outcast" and it was really quite funny. You can read it here. (http://www.cracked.com/article_17317_star-treks-6-most-ridiculous-alien-races.html)

I laughed out loud at the part about Riker's beardy musk.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/jnai2.jpg

Glass Co.
03-22-2010, 06:54 PM
It was good at the time, but it's even better in retrospect. This one, I may watch again. (The flute!)

By the way, I remembered vaguely an old Cracked article that mentioned the episode "The Outcast" and it was really quite funny. You can read it here. (http://www.cracked.com/article_17317_star-treks-6-most-ridiculous-alien-races.html)

I laughed out loud at the part about Riker's beardy musk.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/jnai2.jpg

Haha. I've seen it before but pretty much all Cracked articles are good for a reread.

The Outcast had a lot of potential too, it just did pretty much everything it was attempting the wrong way. It was still far better than Cost of Living though. *shudder*

[ETM]
03-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Hahaha, The Cost of Living... I cannot imagine someone greenlighting the hot-tub scenes.:lol:

number8
03-23-2010, 01:56 AM
This guy is not bad.

8i7u3fl-hP8&

Ezee E
03-23-2010, 03:41 AM
Anyone watch Dancing with the Stars? Strangely addictive.

Morris Schæffer
03-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Yes, I just saw it. Both that, along with the following, "The Inner Light" were excellent but with the same little thing that bothered me. I feel like there's a certain amount of emotional dishonesty going on in TNG, and I'm getting tired of it. I understand that 1) this is a television show and there's a limit to the amount of time that can be spent on grief and 2) that these characters are supposed to be soldiers, but nevertheless, I feel deeply cheated by the way they all react to the supposed death or loss of loved ones. One of the greatest things about the show is how deeply these characters care about one another and trust one another, but on the mulitple occasions where characters are lost/dead/presumed dead there is almost no reaction.

Can't say you're wrong, but I suppose TNG and Trek in general has rarely been truly powerful, such are perhaps the trappings of the genre or this franchise in particular.

I mean, if you recall, Spock's entire homeworld was detonated in Star Trek, but boy was that totally not powerful. And it took Yesterday's Enterprise to actually really make me feel something about tasha yar because Skin of Evil didn't really do it. I guess I take what I can get then and The Next Phase at least made me feel about these characters more than in most other episodes.

[ETM]
03-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Castle was frakkin' awesome last night.

Mara
03-23-2010, 05:10 PM
;250080']Castle was frakkin' awesome last night.

Only half-way through so far, but a couple of notes.

1. YES. This is how you write for these characters. Thank you.

2. The more the women treat Castle like a child, the funnier it is.

3. Stana's hair looks amazing. They finally found something that really works for her. Also, at some point they got rid of the red lowlights and let her just be a brunette. Well done.

4. Hey, that's Forrest from season 4 of Buffy!

[ETM]
03-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Castle beat an original episode of the David Caruso Vanity Hour for the first time, with almost 13 million viewers and 3.6 in the demo... it will go down in the finals, but no matter what the actual numbers are, it was huge.

Raiders
03-23-2010, 05:17 PM
RE: Castle

Great episode, and I think the ending would have worked on a gut level if they hadn't given it away in the promos. Naturally she's alive, but I think it would still have been pretty impactful if we didn't know for a fact it was coming.

I am tiring a little of the Castle word-association breakthroughs where he is speaking with him mom/daughter/both and a word triggers the final clue to solve it. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but it feels like it happens A LOT.

Mara
03-23-2010, 05:47 PM
I don't watch promos, so I was pretty surprised.

Very interested in where this was going. This has shaped up into a really excellent series, with a couple missteps.

[ETM]
03-23-2010, 05:52 PM
I am tiring a little of the Castle word-association breakthroughs where he is speaking with him mom/daughter/both and a word triggers the final clue to solve it. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but it feels like it happens A LOT.

Yeah, it has bothered me a bit always (especially if it's something obvious - I called this one as soon as they saw the body), but I maintain that it's still way better than Horatio's one-liners.

number8
03-23-2010, 06:01 PM
I can just imagine like FBI guys laughing their asses off at the tech.

Otherwise, fantastic sexual tension, even though I found the plot contrived. I love the thing about the Decapitator case.

Mara
03-23-2010, 06:02 PM

I understand that the writers are trying to incorporate the grandmother and daughter into the main storylines, but they have to find a better way to do it. They've occasionally managed to make the family B story reflect the main story to greater effect (like the time that the daughter was interning at the police station) and sometimes with stupid results (like the time the daughter was a cheerleader.) But they're interesting characters and talented actresses, so they should be a little more than a sounding board.

Mara
03-23-2010, 06:04 PM

Otherwise, fantastic sexual tension, even though I found the plot contrived. I love the thing about the Decapitator case.

The Recapitator. Because he switched the heads and put them back on. Is that a reference to a real case?

[ETM]
03-23-2010, 06:23 PM

I LOLd.:lol: Still, it looked cool. I'd love to play around with a real Smartboard.

Mara
03-23-2010, 06:37 PM
On the other hand, Chuck has run out of plots.

Oh, hush, 8.

Thirdmango
03-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Yeah I also hadn't seen promos so Castle was awesome for me. I will be happy if they run with where they are going in Chuck. But it seems they surely won't.

[ETM]
03-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Chuck is beginning to bother me... I don't really know what it is, but, for example, I cringe every time anyone utters the word "spy". It just sounds... I dunno, fake? Ridiculous? Does anyone ever use the word in real life?

number8
03-23-2010, 08:32 PM
I can pinpoint exactly which episode Chuck took a nosedive. It was when they made that movie geek computer nerd slacker a hero.

Mara
03-23-2010, 08:34 PM
The trouble with Chuck is that they are trying to shake things up, but it's the wrong things. I mean, technically, the plot changes (Intersect 2.0, for example) but they keep asking the same questions. Will Chuck give up everything to be a spy? Will he ever get the girl? How can he lie to those he loves? And we need to resolve those questions and find new ones.

For instance, although I am still really enjoying "The Good Wife," I can't imagine that they're going to be able to sustain the premise. The main questions of the show are being answered rather quickly, and so I think they're going to need to find new, interesting questions to keep it going.

Mara
03-23-2010, 08:35 PM
I can pinpoint exactly which episode Chuck took a nosedive. It was when they made that movie geek computer nerd slacker a hero.

I said hush!

Kurosawa Fan
03-23-2010, 09:29 PM
I haven't watched Chuck since the first Routh episode. I could sense a downward spiral, and my time is so limited right now I didn't want to waste it on mediocrity.

Winston*
03-23-2010, 09:32 PM
my time is so limited right now

You're dying of cancer?:sad:

Kurosawa Fan
03-23-2010, 10:03 PM
You're dying of cancer?:sad:

AIDS.

number8
03-23-2010, 10:06 PM
AIDS.

You're an inspiration.

[ETM]
03-23-2010, 10:50 PM
I could sense a downward spiral

It's not clear cut like that. There's no continuing drop in quality, some of the episode since then have been awesome, but it's getting a bit stale overall. It's just not working as well as it did earlier.

number8
03-24-2010, 03:23 AM
"What are you, State Police?"
"U.S. Marshal."
"Marshal? Like in Gunsmoke?"
"More like The Fugitive."
"Huh."

/Continues to love Justified.

Adam
03-24-2010, 06:47 AM
Sweet first ep for Breaking Bad season three.

I wanna love Breaking Bad and I was addicted through most of the last two seasons, but I can't get past that layer of pure hokiness nobody else seems bothered by. There was some especially lame stuff in this premiere. Still the best looking show on tv right now, though

[ETM]
03-24-2010, 02:43 PM
I can't get past that layer of pure hokiness nobody else seems bothered by. There was some especially lame stuff in this premiere.

I'd wager that what you call "hokey" is what everyone else actually loves about the show. I fully agree on the look, though.

Raiders
03-24-2010, 03:02 PM
"What are you, State Police?"
"U.S. Marshal."
"Marshal? Like in Gunsmoke?"
"More like The Fugitive."
"Huh."

/Continues to love Justified.

Crap. I thought it was on Wednesday nights.

D_Davis
03-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Finished S3 of The Wire last night.

HOLY CRAP!

The battle of wits between Omar and Brother Mouzone may be the single greatest scene in television history.

Kurosawa Fan
03-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Finished S3 of The Wire last night.

HOLY CRAP!

The battle of wits between Omar and Brother Mouzone may be the single greatest scene in television history.

I have yet to come across anyone who has watched The Wire and hasn't loved it. I don't mean liked. I mean loved it, and considered it one of the best TV shows ever created.

Russ
03-24-2010, 06:49 PM
I have all 5 seasons at my disposal and I've never seen a single episode. I'm thinking of starting tonight.

Needless to say, I'm psyched.

D_Davis
03-24-2010, 06:59 PM
I have all 5 seasons at my disposal and I've never seen a single episode. I'm thinking of starting tonight.

Needless to say, I'm psyched.

I finished S1 in two days.

Winston*
03-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Breaking Bad season premiere

The look the El Pollo Loco manager gives when Walt turns his offer down is so good.

Qrazy
03-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Breaking Bad season premiere

The look the El Pollo Loco manager gives when Walt turns his offer down is so good.

Agreed. The episode neatly quelled my minor displeasure with the finale and I'm excited to see where the season goes.

[ETM]
03-24-2010, 10:25 PM
I finished S1 in two days.

Slacker.

angrycinephile
03-25-2010, 01:58 AM
'At the Movies' = canceled (http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/03/at-the-movies-cancelled-after-three-decades.html)

Ebert just tweeted 'RIP At the Movies'. It's a shame considering what a massive step-up A.O. Scott and Michael Phillips were from the two Bens.

Kurosawa Fan
03-25-2010, 02:09 AM
'At the Movies' = canceled (http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/03/at-the-movies-cancelled-after-three-decades.html)

Ebert just tweeted 'RIP At the Movies'. It's a shame considering what a massive step-up A.O. Scott and Michael Phillips were from the two Bens.

Crap. That's a shame. I've really been enjoying Scott and Phillips.

Henry Gale
03-25-2010, 04:28 AM
Definitely sad news. At least they're keeping them around until mid-August.

Mara
03-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Hmm. The first episode of Justified was quite good. I like the nuanced characters and the moral ambiguity. I'm not sure I quite buy the level of lawlessness in this particular county. (Police! Let's shoot them!)

Mara
03-25-2010, 06:46 PM
A couple comments RE: Justified.

1. What's with the Towncar? It seems like such an odd vehicle for the character. He should be in a Mustang or something.

2. The opening credits feel like they are ripping off True Blood. Down to the font.

3. Damn it, show, do NOT have two main blonde female leads. I will never be able to tell them apart.

Grouchy
03-25-2010, 07:53 PM
I just wanted to ask - how many around here watch Whitest Kids U Know?

Most badass sketch show I've seen in some time. Trevor Moore is my hero.

[ETM]
03-25-2010, 08:29 PM
1. What's with the Towncar? It seems like such an odd vehicle for the character. He should be in a Mustang or something.

I like it. He's not one of them asphalt cowboys, he's actually good at what he does, and not just for show.

3. Damn it, show, do NOT have two main blonde female leads. I will never be able to tell them apart.

His ex-wife is on "Hung". I don't know the shotgun-wielding one.

Mara
03-25-2010, 08:40 PM
A Towncar is a car for a well-off (but not obscenely wealthy) sixty-year-old man who stayed married to his first wife after he made all his money.

Alternately, prom kids who can't afford a limo.

I just don't see it for a lawman.

[ETM]
03-25-2010, 09:31 PM
A Towncar is a car for a well-off (but not obscenely wealthy) sixty-year-old man who stayed married to his first wife after he made all his money.

I was mistaken, I was thinking it was something law enforcement drives, a typical nondescript American sedan. Now I'm leaning towards "he's got money and doesn't really care as long as it's comfortable" or "rental".

Mara
03-25-2010, 11:36 PM
According to this (http://www.lincoln.com/towncar/home.asp), towncars start at $46K. It's actually a little disorienting to see it driven by convicts, thrown into reckless u-turns, and all dirty.

In my experience, police cars are usually Fords.

Based on the content of the show so far, I'm guessing they will explain the Towncar with a story. Like, he won it in a poker game or something.

Kurosawa Fan
03-26-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm really digging Justified as well. Very cool atmosphere, and Olyphant is badass as usual.

[ETM]
03-26-2010, 09:27 PM
NBC doing a pilot called "Our Show", about fans of a canceled show who make their own version. (http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/03/nbc-does-pilot-about-fans-trying-to.html)

:|

Mara
03-26-2010, 09:55 PM
;251062']NBC doing a pilot called "Our Show", about fans of a canceled show who make their own version. (http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/03/nbc-does-pilot-about-fans-trying-to.html)

:|

Oh-- it's scripted. It might be okay.

I was afraid it was a reality show.

number8
03-26-2010, 10:06 PM
I can't wait for that show to get a cult following and then canceled.

The sky will blacken and the space-time continuum will hemorrhage into a giant mosaic of Carl Sagan's head, before eating itself into an irradiated oblivion.

[ETM]
03-26-2010, 10:44 PM
"24" is oficially over after S8 (http://twitter.com/joncassar/status/11112400187)

[ETM]
03-27-2010, 12:46 AM
I finally watched the second episode of Justified.... I liked the show a lot after the pilot, but I love it now.

number8
03-27-2010, 01:33 AM
Walton Goggins said that his character, like in the book, was originally written to die at the end of the pilot, and Goggins was supposed to be just in the pilot to draw FX fans in, but he had such a great chemistry with Olyphant that they decided to rewrite the pilot and sign him as a series regular. I'm excited, his character is supposedly now going to be an evangelist and become Olyphant's closest confidante, but it's never clear if he's faking it to get out of jail faster or not.

Spun Lepton
03-27-2010, 02:07 AM
Shane Vandrell is in Justified? I may have to check that out.

Mara
03-27-2010, 02:12 AM
I'm excited, his character is supposedly now going to be an evangelist and become Olyphant's closest confidante, but it's never clear if he's faking it to get out of jail faster or not.

Oooooo. Cool.

And, yes, the second episode was even better than the first.

[ETM]
03-27-2010, 02:39 AM
And, yes, the second episode was even better than the first.

Yeah, it's when I actually "got it". The pilot was great, but didn't really give that much indication of the overall tone and heading of the series, but the follow-up was just yummy.

number8
03-27-2010, 03:33 AM
"Well, it ain't like we're first cousins or nothin'..."

number8
03-27-2010, 06:00 AM
;251082']"24" is oficially over after S8 (http://twitter.com/joncassar/status/11112400187)

Best comment I read about this:

"The terrorists won."

monolith94
03-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Anyone else watching Breaking Bad tonight? The first episode of the season kicked alot of ass. Also, Top Gear's been really entertaining lately.

KK2.0
03-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Watched three 'modern family' episodes, it has potential. i wish it had a little more bite though.

And i simply cannot separate Ed O'neil from Al Bundy, never. Sorry Ed.

Sven
03-29-2010, 03:22 AM
I can't click into the Dexter thread, for fear of spoilers (which I normally do not care about, but thought I would let myself get edgy about this one).

Probably going to finish the second season tonite.

1) Michael C Hall is sooooooo good. Best television performance ever? Possibly.
2) the British chick needs to die, big time. She's ruining the show.

We'll see!

Mara
03-29-2010, 03:24 AM
Man, the first two seasons of Dexter were OUT. OF. SIGHT.

Spaceman Spiff
03-29-2010, 03:29 AM
I STILL can't get into Dexter. :(

I feel so left out.

Mara
03-29-2010, 03:35 AM
I STILL can't get into Dexter. :(

I feel so left out.

You mean you didn't like it? Odd. Everyone likes it. I'm totally squeamish and I still loved it.

Acapelli
03-29-2010, 03:40 AM
i've known plenty of people that don't like dexter

sometimes i think about why i like it. the female characters are all just so AWFUL

Mara
03-29-2010, 03:58 AM
the female characters are all just so AWFUL

I've heard this complaint before. But I like the female characters in the first couple of seasons. The writing for them took a nosedive after that.

Sven
03-29-2010, 04:06 AM
I've heard this complaint before. But I like the female characters in the first couple of seasons. The writing for them took a nosedive after that.

You think the British women is well-written?!

Mara
03-29-2010, 04:11 AM
You think the British women is well-written?!

I don't think Lila's a nice person or anything, but yes, I find her interesting. Her psychological drives, and how they mirror Dexter's, are fascinating.

Mara
03-29-2010, 04:13 AM
But I should mention that by "women" I really mean Deb and Rita. I know there are a few MCers who hate them, but I like 'em.

Winston*
03-29-2010, 04:16 AM
I liked Deb in the first season but that subplot romance with the FBI guy in season 2 was such a drag.

Mara
03-29-2010, 04:19 AM
Erm... I'm not sure how far into season 2 Sven is, Winston.

I was cool with the Lundy subplot. I would totally go for Lundy. Because he's awsome. SO MUCH MORE than the CI romance in season three, which was just awful.

Winston*
03-29-2010, 04:23 AM
Is that a spoiler? Okay, edited.

I never saw season 3 because I heard it was awful. Might check out the Lithgow season at some point.

Mara
03-29-2010, 04:24 AM
I never saw season 3 because I heard it was awful. Might check out the Lithgow season at some point.

It was just... painfully bad. But season 4 was a rebuilding year, and had some good stuff. Ended on a high note. Lithgow really was amazing.

Sven
03-29-2010, 04:51 AM
I don't think Lila's a nice person or anything, but yes, I find her interesting. Her psychological drives, and how they mirror Dexter's, are fascinating.

She's a cliche and I hate her. Poor performance too.

I love Deb and Rita.

Qrazy
03-29-2010, 06:35 AM
Great end to the second episode of Breaking Bad season three.

Sven
03-29-2010, 07:03 AM
Dexter spoils:

Glad British woman is out of the picture, though I can't help but wish she suffered more. I don't recall ever having so hostile a reaction to a character.

Very good! Despite her, I think the second season was much stronger than the first, if only because I didn't buy the logistics of the brother-as-serial-killer-also psychology or even just as narrative function. I was very sad to see Doakes go. I liked him. He was good, and I love that the show recognized the fact that he was. Still, love the moment when Dexter head-butts him.

Rented the first half of season three tonite. Will start soon. I'm telling you: it's Michael C. Hall that makes it. The writing is serviceable. I can't wait for Lithgow.

Sven
03-29-2010, 07:05 AM
Oh, and I whole-heartedly disagree with Winston. Anything, and I mean anything, that addresses the awesomeness of K. Carradine is a-okay.

Grouchy
03-29-2010, 07:20 AM
The "God Says" song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joQRLxUa89Y)

Winston*
03-29-2010, 07:39 AM
The "God Says" song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joQRLxUa89Y)

I like this sketch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlYJGocvGdo&feature=related), but from my past youtubing The Whitest Kids 'U know seem pretty lame on the whole.

Acapelli
03-29-2010, 08:00 AM
don't forget laguerta, but i feel like her and angel bring out the worst in each other

Acapelli
03-29-2010, 08:05 AM
I like this sketch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlYJGocvGdo&feature=related), but from my past youtubing The Whitest Kids 'U know seem pretty lame on the whole.
i like this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuUXqR1rGb0) a lot

Winston*
03-29-2010, 08:10 AM
i like this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuUXqR1rGb0) a lot

Okay, that's good.

Mara
03-29-2010, 12:32 PM
don't forget laguerta, but i feel like her and angel bring out the worst in each other

She was completely castrated after the second season.

Yes, that's the word I mean.

Mara
03-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Wow. The Whitest Kids U Know is singularly unfunny. I can't even type out the name without twinges of loathing.

Not my thing, I guess.

ThePlashyBubbler
03-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Exciting news today for AMC:

The Walking Dead greenlit to series! Premieres this October, but the first season will be only six episodes.

Interesting that this is coming along so quickly, seeing as they only have one role cast and Darabont hasn't even shot the pilot yet. Still, really looking forward to it, and hope they don't screw it up.

Mara
03-29-2010, 10:03 PM
NH0tCtXwekk

Just CANCEL IT or RENEW IT. Stop tormenting us.

[ETM]
03-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Just CANCEL IT or RENEW IT. Stop tormenting us.

At this point, I'm just hoping they actually show the remaining episodes on TV...

D_Davis
03-29-2010, 10:20 PM
i've known plenty of people that don't like dexter

sometimes i think about why i like it. the female characters are all just so AWFUL

My wife and started watching S1 and turned it off because we couldn't stand Dexter's sister. I can't recall why now, but we both thought she was a stupid character, and the actress was really bad.

[ETM]
03-29-2010, 10:36 PM
I just love Deb. I love Carpenter as Deb. I don't think I like Dexter as a character as much as I like Deb. I'd go as far as saying Dexter would be far less believable as a character if there wasn't a sister to ground him.

[ETM]
03-30-2010, 12:54 AM
Great end to the second episode of Breaking Bad season three.

Hell yes. That was great.

number8
03-30-2010, 03:21 AM
Wow. The Whitest Kids U Know is singularly unfunny. I can't even type out the name without twinges of loathing.

Not my thing, I guess.

I hate that show with a passion.

Grouchy
03-30-2010, 07:59 AM
They're (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwxA9O-q2o8) awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDS6UQpssSg)

[ETM]
03-30-2010, 09:17 AM
Uh... no they're not? I knew what the LOTR "sketch" was about before I clicked, and it wasn't funny even then. It was less funny after I saw it.

Winston*
03-30-2010, 09:43 AM
OMG that LOTR sketch is bad.

Mara
03-30-2010, 12:20 PM
I think it's just one of those divisive shows-- love it or loathe it.

[ETM]
03-30-2010, 01:05 PM
Hmm... the reveal on Chuck last night was the first real surprise on the show in a long, long time. Nicely done.

Grouchy
03-30-2010, 01:48 PM
You people don't like laughing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGFOtcHwgF8).

Qrazy
03-30-2010, 04:01 PM
The Tattoo Parlor was mildly amusing, the Lord of the Rings sketch was sub-awful.

EyesWideOpen
03-30-2010, 05:00 PM

That was the opposite of funny if that is what they were going for.

Mara
03-30-2010, 05:46 PM

Wow. No.

Kurosawa Fan
03-30-2010, 06:19 PM
None of those links have been funny. Not even slightly humorous.

Mara
03-30-2010, 07:02 PM
;251915']Hmm... the reveal on Chuck last night was the first real surprise on the show in a long, long time. Nicely done.

Hmm. Yes. Just when I was getting pretty darn sick of this show, it has a solid and intriguing entry.

Castle was quite good as well.

Henry Gale
03-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Yeah... their Lincoln sketch (in uncensored form) made me laugh a long time ago, but I've enjoyed almost nothing from them outside of that. The acting class one had a decent enough ending, I guess, but nah... not a fan.

I guess when you make Miss March, these sort of sketches seem like genius by comparison.

[ETM]
03-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Hmm. Yes. Just when I was getting pretty darn sick of this show, it has a solid and intriguing entry.

You know what's wrong with this? They had made 13 episodes as per initial order. Last week was the wrap of the arc they had originally conceived. This new stuff is additional after six more were ordered. The show would have been dead and buried already if it weren't for the late pickup...

Castle was quite good as well.

Oh, yes. And guess what? It both hit series high numbers, AND was just officially
renewed for a third season.:pritch:

“Castle” delivered ABC’s biggest audience in the time period with a regular scripted series telecast since 1996 and its top Adult 18-49 number since 2001 – since 4/22/96 and 5/5/03, respectively.

“Castle” finished No. 1 in the 10 o’clock hour and achieved new series highs in both Total Viewers (14.5 million) and Adults 18-49 (3.7/10), taking the top spot for the 2nd consecutive week.

Raiders
03-30-2010, 07:26 PM
Castle was pretty ho-hum last night. Really looking forward to the Indiana Jones-styled silliness next week.

Mara
03-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Spring/Summer Shows:

Dr. Who: April 3rd (debuting new doctor, v. exciting stuff)
Glee: Returning April 13th
True Blood: June 13th
Mad Men: July/August? No date yet.

Torchwood: will it ever return?

[ETM]
03-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Castle was pretty ho-hum last night.

Well, it was conventional, but it was definitely designed as a litmus test for maximum impact and the renewal says it passed. I hope the writers loosen up a bit for S3, since the audiences are there now and it's no longer "do or die" for the show. There's still plenty of potential for hijinks.

[ETM]
03-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Spring/Summer Shows:

I'm looking forward to some nice light entertainment this summer, especially Leverage and the two SyFy shows - Eureka and Warehouse 13. I too wish Davies finds some way to make Torchwood work, save for making Jack straight in the US version, which is... ridiculous.

Mara
03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
I'm going to try out at least the first episode of "Happy Town" on April 28th. It looks like it has potential, but the reviews have been... unkind.

By the way, did you guys know that Alan Tudyk is going to be in the remake of The Rockford Files this fall?

SpaceOddity
03-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Spring/Summer Shows:

Boo. The new Doctor acts like someone trying to remember if he's left his car unlocked.

And the new lass speaks like an old lady whose dentures are bunged up with toffees.

*clutches David Tennant's memory*

number8
03-30-2010, 08:45 PM
I wasn't wowed with the first part of Castle last week like you guys were, but compared to the second part? Man. That was really terrible last night, and the smartboard tech made me want to vomit.

At one point, they were using it to cross-reference subscriber names on three different lists and all kinds of graphics were flying off the screen for like two minutes. I turned to my wife and said, "You know, it would take me 10 seconds to do this on Excel."

Another pet peeve of mine is character's apartments. I know it's a longtime TV tradition to make apartments look good, but did they ever explain how Beckett could afford that huge amazing apartment in Manhattan on an NYPD detective's salary?

Plus, what the hell was the point of the mother moving out subplot?

Mara
03-31-2010, 12:01 AM
They're (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwxA9O-q2o8) awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDS6UQpssSg)

Oh no.

Oh no.

Someone did it. (http://ugliesttattoos.com/2010/03/30/funny-tattoos-rock-on-christian-stoner-bowser/)

number8
03-31-2010, 12:45 AM
Oh no.

Oh no.

Someone did it. (http://ugliesttattoos.com/2010/03/30/funny-tattoos-rock-on-christian-stoner-bowser/)

That is their demographic.

Mara
03-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Ugh, Justified. I knew I was going to have trouble, here.

Could someone please tell me WHICH blonde that was at the end?

[ETM]
04-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Ugh, Justified. I knew I was going to have trouble, here.

Could someone please tell me WHICH blonde that was at the end?

I... don't get it. Other than hair color, they're not even similar. And his ex-wife still hates him, and didn't even appear in this episode.

Mara
04-01-2010, 12:21 PM
;252393']I... don't get it. Other than hair color, they're not even similar. And his ex-wife still hates him, and didn't even appear in this episode.

I can't tell blondes apart. It's a running problem in my life.

Honestly, at first I assumed it wasn't his wife, but then he started talking about how he promised to never come back, which he had promised to his wife... I was just confused.

EyesWideOpen
04-01-2010, 12:46 PM
I can't tell blondes apart. It's a running problem in my life.

Racist.

Mara
04-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Racist.

I need to put sharpie marks on their hands, like Michael Scott.

[ETM]
04-01-2010, 12:58 PM
It's funny how Natalie Zea (the wife) is listed on IMDB as being in 11 episodes, and Olyphant in 10... and she wasn't in this one. It's also funny that I first saw her in Hung, and she's nekkid in, like, the second scene.

But yeah, when in doubt, check out their size - Zea is really thin, Joelle Carter (Ava) looks like she could beat her and Raylan both up at the same time.

Kurosawa Fan
04-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Son of a...

Okay, Justified needs it's own thread now, with so many watching it. That way I can at least avoid the thread until I've seen the episode to avoid spoilers. :sad:

Raiders
04-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Justified's ratings have dropped almost 50% from just the pilot to the third episode. Shame.

Mara
04-01-2010, 02:06 PM
Son of a...

Okay, Justified needs it's own thread now, with so many watching it. That way I can at least avoid the thread until I've seen the episode to avoid spoilers. :sad:

Ack! Sorry! I didn't think I was being spoilery.

Ezee E
04-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Yeah. All the raves for Justified has made me put it immediately into my Netflix queue. Maybe I can catch up with the DVR at the firehouse.

Mara
04-01-2010, 03:32 PM
Yeah. All the raves for Justified has made me put it immediately into my Netflix queue. Maybe I can catch up with the DVR at the firehouse.

There are other ways to catch up.

Anyway, I need to know if there is a TNG episode where Data tries to understand the human culture of pranking. Imagine the hijinks!

[ETM]
04-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Justified's ratings have dropped almost 50% from just the pilot to the third episode. Shame.

They're saying L&O:Criminal Intent's premiere could have been a factor.
And yeah, there should be a thread.

[ETM]
04-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Anyway, I need to know if there is a TNG episode where Data tries to understand the human culture of pranking. Imagine the hijinks!

He does push Beverly into the sea in Generations "because it's funny".

Mara
04-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Okay, whoever actually wrote "Ode to Spot" is my new hero.

Felis Cattus, is your taxonomic nomenclature,
an endothermic quadruped carnivorous by nature?
Your visual, olfactory and auditory senses
contribute to your hunting skills, and natural defenses.

I find myself intrigued by your subvocal oscillations,
a singular development of cat communications
that obviates your basic hedonistic predilection
for a rhythmic stroking of your fur, to demonstrate affection.

A tail is quite essential for your acrobatic talents;
you would not be so agile if you lacked its counterbalance.
And when not being utilized to aide in locomotion,
it often serves to illustrate the state of your emotion.

O Spot, the complex levels of behaviour you display
connote a fairly well-developed cognitive array.
And though you are not sentient, Spot, and do not comprehend,
I nonetheless consider you a true and valued friend.

[ETM]
04-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Okay, whoever actually wrote "Ode to Spot" is my new hero.

Don't be too hasty. It's most likely Brannon Braga.

Mara
04-01-2010, 06:27 PM
;252465']:lol:

Don't be too hasty. It's most likely Brannon Braga.

Is he a bad person? He is credited as a writer on this episode, along with Rone Wilkerson.

[ETM]
04-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Is he a bad person? He is credited as a writer on this episode, along with Rone Wilkerson.

Weeell, he's credited as one of the people responsible for Trek's long decline and repetition of Trek's own cliches ad nauseam instead of going for fresh ideas in the later shows (especially Voyager and Enterprise) which almost killed the franchise. He was famously R.D.Moore's writing partner on TNG, where they worked great together, but they fell apart after only two episodes of Voyager, when Moore left.

Thirdmango
04-02-2010, 12:26 PM
I know no one watches Survivor, but I got into it 3 seasons ago, and Russell Hantz made me keep watching it. That guy is damn good television.

[ETM]
04-03-2010, 02:36 AM
"If you come back here again dressed as a bloody math teacher, I'll paint your nuts the colour of hazelnuts and inform a couppla squirrels winter's comin'!"

Gotta love Gene Hunt.

Adam
04-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Gave Archer a shot on Hulu - not a fan

And for me not to like something with that much H Jon Benjamin packed in, I mean, it has to be pretty seriously flawed/unfunny

Acapelli
04-03-2010, 10:00 PM
"she's like the pele of anal" is a pretty classic line

Thirdmango
04-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Gave Archer a shot on Hulu - not a fan

And for me not to like something with that much H Jon Benjamin packed in, I mean, it has to be pretty seriously flawed/unfunny

Huh, I think the show is brilliance. Very funny and I laugh out loud a lot. Maybe try going further in the series, but if you didn't like it I doubt you will.