PDA

View Full Version : The TV Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53

Qrazy
01-15-2011, 08:44 PM
I used to watch it when it first came out. Don't remember it well. Might revisit it.

Do eet.

Kurosawa Fan
01-15-2011, 09:45 PM
No, it isn't. I'm not saying anything about him, I'm commenting on his material. Everything I've said is factually true and you are wrong about everything in life.

You're still wrong, which I'm pretty sure makes you wrong about everything in life. You said, "Yeah there is a difference, Tosh doesn't understand that difference." Now you say you're not saying anything about him? How does that work? His material is written by him, and performed by him. If HE doesn't know the difference, as you claimed, how is that not a comment on HIM?

Qrazy
01-16-2011, 12:02 AM
You're still wrong, which I'm pretty sure makes you wrong about everything in life. You said, "Yeah there is a difference, Tosh doesn't understand that difference." Now you say you're not saying anything about him? How does that work? His material is written by him, and performed by him. If HE doesn't know the difference, as you claimed, how is that not a comment on HIM?

Because he is not necessarily a racist/homophobe/dick as an individual but his persona and/or material is imo. It's true that there are ways to make touchy jokes about 'Jews' or 'Blacks' or 'Gays' work but I see nothing in his material or delivery that demonstrates that subtlety or nuance. I have a number of friends who make unfunny off color jokes that aren't actually racists. So to clarify my distance comment, he doesn't know the difference between making a funny joke about mental illness and just being an asshole.

transmogrifier
01-16-2011, 05:08 AM
I've seen one episode of The Soup (a countdown of the top 20 clips of the year, or something) and it was boring. I've seen plenty of Tosh.o and it's funny.

number8
01-16-2011, 05:33 AM
I've seen one episode of The Soup (a countdown of the top 20 clips of the year, or something) and it was boring. I've seen plenty of Tosh.o and it's funny.

http://rageguy.com/media/2010/07/full-panel-rage.png

transmogrifier
01-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Imagine if I had seen TWO episodes of The Soup and found them BOTH boring!

Qrazy
01-16-2011, 08:05 AM

Yeah but we already know you have shit taste so who cares.

transmogrifier
01-16-2011, 08:08 AM
Yeah but we already know you have shit taste so who cares.

Charming.

Qrazy
01-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Charming.

lol I'm just joshing. *hugs* Also, I was drunk when I wrote that.

Lazlo
01-18-2011, 03:56 AM
Anyone watch Lights Out? I thought it was a hell of a pilot and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Also, Catherine McCormack can't hide her English accent with words that end with "-er".

Winston*
01-18-2011, 07:38 AM
The guy who plays Hearst in Deadwood is so good. Why have I never seen him in anything else?

number8
01-18-2011, 01:38 PM
The guy who plays Hearst in Deadwood is so good. Why have I never seen him in anything else?

You've never seen Major Dad?

Lucky.

Raiders
01-19-2011, 01:49 AM
You've never seen Major Dad?

Lucky.

Don't shit on my childhood memories.

number8
01-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Don't shit on my childhood memories.

Were you also a fan of Simon & Simon?

Morris Schæffer
01-20-2011, 05:53 AM
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/19/ron-moore-pilot-nbc/

Thirdmango
01-21-2011, 11:56 AM
after last nights episode I have concluded that Big Bang Theory is now just depressing, sure sheldon says something funny but it's just going into that lull where every character gets exactly what they don't want to create the lols. This is why the show is just falling into mediocrity.

transmogrifier
01-21-2011, 06:10 PM
after last nights episode I have concluded that Big Bang Theory is now just depressing, sure sheldon says something funny but it's just going into that lull where every character gets exactly what they don't want to create the lols. This is why the show is just falling into mediocrity.

Falling? If there is one thing I will never understand in this life, it is the embrace of this mediocre sitcom by people who otherwise have good taste. It's a horridly boring, vapid show.

Henry Gale
01-21-2011, 06:43 PM
I can't tell if I hate Big Bang Theory more because of the fact that it's now the #1 rated show in my country (considering what else is on TV), or if it's more because when I sit still to actually watch any amount of it I just feel myself experiencing a weird combination of utter confusion, a strange numbing/cringing feeling to my brain, inner facepalming and... basically anything but laughing or feeling entertained.

It's like Chuck Lorre and his writing teams on both that show and Two and a Half Men take whatever quick story ideas they have and just fill them out to full episodes with either A) socially retarded observations about everyday things or wordy science lingo and geeky sci-fi pop culture references ("hahaha what nerds!") or B) awkward, creepy sex jokes spoken while Charlie Sheen lounges with a newspaper or drink in hand, or in bed with new attractive actress each week ("hahaha what a perv!") making the two shows just unbearable for me.

number8
01-21-2011, 08:13 PM
The embrace of The Big Bang Theory by the geek community will forever register to me as an act of prostitution.

Mara
01-21-2011, 08:17 PM
But surely we all love Simon Helberg, right? He just needs a better project.

Henry Gale
01-21-2011, 08:37 PM
But surely we all love Simon Helberg, right? He just needs a better project.

Yeah I'd definitely say he's the best one in the cast. From the episodes I've seen, the ones that pair him up with the Raj character and put them on their own are the only plotlines I can halfway tolerate. I realize that this is obviously a huge break for him as an actor, but I also wish he found time to be in more small roles like his parking lot scene in A Serious Man. I remember him being pretty good in Studio 60, too.

Mara
01-21-2011, 08:39 PM
I also wish he found time to be in more small roles like his parking lot scene in A Serious Man. I remember him being pretty good in Studio 60, too.

He was great in those, and really good in Dr. Horrible too. He has a great voice.

Duncan
01-21-2011, 08:43 PM
Common knowledge, I'm sure, but I gave Outsourced a shot last night, and that show is abysmal. Stunningly bad, and if not outright racist, then at least condescending. Oh look, the American boss learns a valuable lesson from the simple Indian folk. How the fuck is this on tv?

[ETM]
01-22-2011, 10:53 AM
The embrace of The Big Bang Theory by the geek community will forever register to me as an act of prostitution.

Thank you. It had some really, really good moments, but some of the "at you, not with you" stuff makes me feel dirty for watching.

D_Davis
01-23-2011, 02:00 AM
Season 2 of Parks and Recreation might just be my favorite season of any sit-com. Just finished it for the 3rd time, and it's just about perfect.

D_Davis
01-23-2011, 02:00 AM

I loath that show.

D_Davis
01-23-2011, 02:01 AM
Common knowledge, I'm sure, but I gave Outsourced a shot last night, and that show is abysmal. Stunningly bad, and if not outright racist, then at least condescending. Oh look, the American boss learns a valuable lesson from the simple Indian folk. How the fuck is this on tv?

Yes. It is absolutely retarded.

EyesWideOpen
01-23-2011, 03:22 AM
A reminder for anyone interested, the new Karl Pilkington show "An Idiot Abroad" starts tonight on the science channel.

Glass Co.
01-23-2011, 04:35 AM
A reminder for anyone interested, the new Karl Pilkington show "An Idiot Abroad" starts tonight on the science channel.

There's no way this can't be awesome.

EyesWideOpen
01-23-2011, 12:04 PM
There's no way this can't be awesome.

There was actually two episodes last night. A preview episode and then the first episode. I've only watched the preview episode so far and it was just like the podcast where I was laughing nonstop.

Mr. Pink
01-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Yeah, An Idiot Abroad is good stuff. It gets slightly old towards the end of the season, but Karl is so watchable it almost doesn't matter.

Also, how can a show that featured a guy stealing a print of Raiders of the Lost Ark because Wil Wheaton got the last empty seat in the theater be so hated around here?

Acapelli
01-23-2011, 01:30 PM
why am i still watching v? this show is so goddamned stupid

Kurosawa Fan
01-23-2011, 01:33 PM
why am i still watching v? this show is so goddamned stupid

:lol:

Yeah, my wife and I gave up after five or six episodes. Don't miss it at all.

Acapelli
01-23-2011, 02:55 PM
now the v's think the key to beating the human race is extracting their souls somehow

kbhadsflhhheqr;wbrv;dhi

Kurosawa Fan
01-23-2011, 03:33 PM
now the v's think the key to beating the human race is extracting their souls somehow

kbhadsflhhheqr;wbrv;dhi

:|

Yikes.

Dead & Messed Up
01-23-2011, 04:34 PM
So V is Dark City now? That's depressing.

Henry Gale
01-23-2011, 07:05 PM
I think I mentioned it back when it aired on Sky1 in the UK, but yeah, since it's now airing in the states, everyone needs to see An Idiot Abroad. Whether you're a fan of Gervais' podcasts or not, it really is one of the greater comedic concoctions I can think of from the last few years, and almost entirely due to Karl ability to perceive any situation with such an amazingly unique outlook and communicate his ideas perfectly in ways I couldn't imagine anyone else ever thinking of.

It's one of the few shows that can have me constantly, loudly laughing throughout, and almost hurting by the end. Beyond funny. I've even watched some episodes multiple times and I realized how much great stuff I often missed the first times around.

MadMan
01-25-2011, 04:58 PM
I started watching the UK version of Life on Mars (highly doubtful I'll bother with the panned short lived US version). I'm currently on the 3rd episode, and even though I'm not a huge fan of cop shows I dig it a lot, as the main two characters have great chemistry. Plus Jon Simms really is fantastic as an actor-but I already knew that thanks to Dr. Who.

Also grabbed Eeire, Indiana from my local library as well. I remember watching a few episodes from this when I was a kid, and so far I like how Joe Dante transports his mix of fearing the 'burbs with his trademark weirdness. Some episodes make this feel like a kids version of The X-Files, which is alright with me.

Thirdmango
01-26-2011, 06:24 PM
alas it seems they've finally replaced the lead actor in Spartacus, apparently his battle with cancer hasn't been going as well as hoped. :(

Mara
01-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Hey, number8, get your booty in here.

Aaron Sorkin's new show (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12250832) is going to be on HBO, which is brilliant, and it's going to be backstage at a newsroom? It's material he's covered before, but plays to his strenths.

number8
01-27-2011, 09:05 PM

Aaron Sorkin's new show (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12250832) is going to be on HBO, which is brilliant, and it's going to be backstage at a newsroom? It's material he's covered before, but plays to his strenths.

TIME TRAVELLLL:

http://www.match-cut.org/showthread.php?p=151317#post15 1317

Mara
01-27-2011, 09:12 PM
TIME TRAVELLLL:

http://www.match-cut.org/showthread.php?p=151317#post15 1317

But HBO was new, right? Cable is where Sorkin belongs.

Thirdmango
01-28-2011, 12:14 AM
I think HBO could work well for him, I know he's loved his guest appearances on Entourage so that's what probably helped him go there. And it would help him immensely to have a show which only went 10 episodes a season instead of 26. He'd be forced to push his story more and I think that would help his writing quite a bit.

Mara
01-28-2011, 12:21 AM
And it would help him immensely to have a show which only went 10 episodes a season instead of 26. He'd be forced to push his story more and I think that would help his writing quite a bit.

Plus, he'll need less cocaine!

number8
01-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Years in the making, I suppose. (http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/ep-714-michaels-new-friend/1277371/)

DavidSeven
01-28-2011, 05:05 PM

Pretty blatant Sports Night/West Wing mash up and retread. I guess Studio 60 was basically the same thing. Fortunately, his writing should seem less implausible and ridiculous outside the sketch comedy backdrop.

Also, was I the only one who wondered if it was awkward when Tina Fey presented Sorkin his Golden Globe?

number8
01-28-2011, 05:12 PM
You know what? Yes, it's unrealistic that his "everyday" characters all seem up to speed, wise and eloquent on political climates, but I think half the fun is seeing how he strained to connect sports news and sketch comedy to political issues.

Raiders
01-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Hard to compare a movie to an entire TV series, but I think my favorite Sorkin product (read: script) may still be The American President. Very eloquent and smart film that didn't ever feel overly "writerly."

DavidSeven
01-28-2011, 05:36 PM
I still remember Sports Night very fondly. I don't know if my feelings would be different if I watched it today, but considering the sitcom landscape at the time, it felt like an incredibly new and invigorating TV experience. And while ethical issues came up all the time, it didn't have the same "we're changing what the world thinks about stuff!" nonsense that plagued Studio 60. That being said, this weightiness actually does seem plausible in the realm of a show influenced by the likes of Keith Olbermann and Bill O'Reilly. I'd give it a shot.

Mara
01-28-2011, 05:40 PM
I still remember Sports Night very fondly. I don't know if my feelings would be different if I watched it today, but considering the sitcom landscape at the time, it felt like an incredibly new and invigorating TV experience.

I rewatch Sports Night periodically and it never stops being great.

number8
01-28-2011, 05:42 PM
It's also a bit more timely now than it was in 2009 (when the project was first proposed), I think, given the climate of political pundit shows these days. 2010 was pretty much the year of talking heads.

Now that Olbermann is out of a job, Sorkin should hire him as the show's chief consultant.

DavidSeven
01-28-2011, 05:57 PM
Now that Olbermann is out of a job, Sorkin should hire him as the show's chief consultant.

They could cast Peter Krause or Josh Charles in the lead and really get meta about this.

Kurosawa Fan
01-28-2011, 05:58 PM
They could cast Peter Krause

I approve.

Sycophant
01-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Cast Olbermann.

Mara
01-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Peter Krause and Josh Charles are both working right now.

But I'm going to cast this in my head, don't think I won't.

I think he'll have co-anchors, though, because Sorkin loves having a two-person dynamic heading his shows. He likes male-male, but I would kind of like male-female.

Mara
01-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Cast Olbermann.

Not hot enough.

Also, I'm shallow.

Sorkin's shows always have really attractive men in them. Sometimes oddly attractive (like Richard Schiff.)

DavidSeven
01-28-2011, 06:16 PM
If he's bringing anyone over from Studio 60, it better be Steven Weber.

number8
01-28-2011, 06:34 PM
I vote Julia Ling. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQRaoQIFkjc#t=3m23s)

Mara
01-28-2011, 06:36 PM
Stephen Root. Not for the lead, just a nice juicy supporting role. Because I love him.

Mara
01-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Wait, wait, ENVER GJOKAJ. I'm just going to throw everyone I love at the wall and see what sticks.

While we're at it, Alexis Denisof can be one of the news anchors, and he's ridiculously attractive.

number8
01-28-2011, 06:41 PM
Sometimes, I imagine playing Street Fighter and hearing "Enver Gjokaj" as one of the moves being announced.

Mara
01-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Sometimes, I imagine playing Street Fighter and hearing "Enver Gjokaj" as one of the moves being announced.

If I become a black ops sleeper agent, I want "Enver Gjokag" to be my trigger.

Mara
01-28-2011, 07:25 PM
On television shows there are always these conversations between the person standing on the porch and the person standing in the doorway. Does anyone actually DO that? Who doesn't invite a guest inside for a conversation?

number8
01-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Well, I don't have a porch, but if I don't know the person or if I know the convo will be brief, I do that, yes.

Mara
01-28-2011, 07:47 PM
If I don't know the person, I don't invite them in.

But if I know them, I always invite them in, even if it's just for a moment. Then I apologize for the mess, even if the living room is clean. If they stay long enough to sit down, I offer them water or snacks.

Oh, crap, I'm my mother.

DavidSeven
01-28-2011, 08:13 PM
"Sorry about the mess" should really be really written into more TV/movie situations. It's about as routine as saying "hello", for me, regardless of the actual level of cleanliness.

Mara
01-28-2011, 08:16 PM
"Sorry about the mess" should really be really written into more TV/movie situations. It's about as routine as saying "hello", for me, regardless of the actual level of cleanliness.

Yup.

elixir
01-29-2011, 12:20 AM
I just finished the season 3 of The Sopranos, and it's probably my favorite yet (then 1, then 2). If I had to choose a favorite episode this season, it'd probably be "Pine Barrens." Awesome stuff, especially since Christopher and Paulie are two of my favorite characters. Sometimes an episode will just seem good to me, but then once it ends, it hits me more than I thought it would. Pretty great season.

Ezee E
01-29-2011, 12:36 AM
I just finished the season 3 of The Sopranos, and it's probably my favorite yet (then 1, then 2). If I had to choose a favorite episode this season, it'd probably be "Pine Barrens." Awesome stuff, especially since Christopher and Paulie are two of my favorite characters. Sometimes an episode will just seem good to me, but then once it ends, it hits me more than I thought it would. Pretty great season.
Ah yes, Pine Barrens. Such a good episode. Possibly the best in the entire series. It's a stand-alone episode. I remember thinking time and time again if the Russians would ever make an appearance again.

Mara
01-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Whoa.

Would I ever, ever have remembered that I used to worshipfully watch a television version of Zorro if it hadn't been reviewed on Just Press Play? It's doubtfull. I think that memory has been buried for nineteen years.

Side note, is it possible nostalgia has gone too far?

Mara
01-29-2011, 01:03 AM
Aw, crap, it turns out I REMEMBER THE SONG. I think I may have had a crush on the mute kid.

ZInPlKniQBA

The nineties were so delicious.

ledfloyd
01-29-2011, 01:51 AM
for mara, and other espenson fans:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/TV/01/28/jane.espenson.profile/

Raiders
01-29-2011, 02:02 AM
for mara, and other espenson fans:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/TV/01/28/jane.espenson.profile/

Wow, I didn't know she was a writer (if only a couple late episodes) for Dinosaurs! I love her even more now.

Mara
01-29-2011, 02:06 AM
Interesting profile (http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/TV/01/28/jane.espenson.profile/index.html?hpt=C2) of our lady Jane Espensen.

EDIT: Oh, man, I was READING it while you were posting it. That's... just... stop stalking me, it's weird.

Also weird: no mention of Warehouse 13?

ledfloyd
01-29-2011, 05:42 PM
That's... just... stop stalking me, it's weird.
*backs away from mara's window*

Mara
01-29-2011, 05:52 PM
*backs away from mara's window*

Oh, who am I kidding. Come on in, I have cocoa!

number8
01-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Just don't mind the mess.

Mara
01-29-2011, 06:35 PM
That reminds me, late last night I suddenly thought of a totally legitimate reason not to invite people in and to have all conversations on the porch.

Vampires.

Ayup.

[ETM]
01-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Also weird: no mention of Warehouse 13?

She's co-credited as the creator, but it's not her baby at all.

I love that she came up with the concept of warp drives damaging the nearby solar systems.

ledfloyd
01-30-2011, 05:47 PM
That reminds me, late last night I suddenly thought of a totally legitimate reason not to invite people in and to have all conversations on the porch.

Vampires.

Ayup.
it's funny, because i was picturing myself hiding behind a tree in your yard (i know you live in baltimore, but work with me here) with a bunch of cigarette butts piling up at my feet.

Dead & Messed Up
01-30-2011, 07:26 PM
SNL last night wasn't great, but it had some really fun skits. You guys should check out "Bride of Blackenstein," "Mr. Wizard's World," "Herb Welch," and the digital short "Do the Creep."

Mara
01-30-2011, 07:31 PM
it's funny, because i was picturing myself hiding behind a tree in your yard (i know you live in baltimore, but work with me here) with a bunch of cigarette butts piling up at my feet.

Out... for... a... walk...

...bitch.

Henry Gale
01-31-2011, 04:20 AM
SNL last night wasn't great, but it had some really fun skits. You guys should check out "Bride of Blackenstein," "Mr. Wizard's World," "Herb Welch," and the digital short "Do the Creep."

As mild as your praise seems for it, I'd definitely agree and also reluctantly call it one of the funnier episodes of the season. I say that because this season has not been that good.

Winston*
01-31-2011, 08:10 AM
Highly recommended (especially to Mara): Downton Abbey.

[ETM]
01-31-2011, 09:31 AM

My girlfriend and I have been watching it slowly over the last month, and it's fantastic. And you're right, Mara would simply adore it - the costumes alone are worth it.

Mara
01-31-2011, 12:30 PM

Yeah, it's on my to-do list. I just found out they have the episodes on the PBS site, so it's up next.

It sounds like they made it with ME in mind, which is always nice.

number8
01-31-2011, 02:54 PM

Zuckerberg is a terrible actor, apparently.

Dead & Messed Up
01-31-2011, 03:11 PM

It's almost as though Lorne valued a publicity stunt over genuine laughs.

Lucky
01-31-2011, 05:10 PM

Eisenberg wasn't too great either. I don't think they've had a guest host this uncomfortable and awkward since January Jones.

number8
01-31-2011, 05:20 PM
Speaking of which, I ran into Eisenberg on the subway last week.

It was late at night and the car was mostly empty. He was with a girl, they sat at the corner and he had his hood up the entire ride. I was sitting directly across from him so I saw his face, plus his voice is pretty unmistakable to me. I don't think anyone else realized it was him. I considered speaking up and saying, "Hey, Zuck, I love Facebook," but chickened out.

Right after I got off the subway, I googled "Eisenberg NYC" and found out he was hosting SNL. That confirmed it.

Kurosawa Fan
01-31-2011, 05:46 PM
The Mr. Wizard skit was the only one that made me laugh out loud. I thought the short was lame. Samberg is getting tiresome with his shorts. They're becoming predictable and dull, and this was no exception.

Mara
01-31-2011, 07:49 PM
Catching up on White Collar and the woman who plays Kate is a flinchingly bad actress. She's... awful. I don't even think she's pretty, but that may be spillover bitterness from her acting. It's possible that I only hate her hair.

Mara
01-31-2011, 07:50 PM
Matthew Bomer, on the other hand, is so good looking he makes my eyes hurt.

Dead & Messed Up
01-31-2011, 08:27 PM
The Mr. Wizard skit was the only one that made me laugh out loud. I thought the short was lame. Samberg is getting tiresome with his shorts. They're becoming predictable and dull, and this was no exception.

I liked the short mostly for how well the trio perfected their creep walks. Doing them in tandem, in slow-motion, was impressive to me. I did lose interest when Nicki Manaj joined in.

Henry Gale
01-31-2011, 09:46 PM
I liked the short mostly for how well the trio perfected their creep walks. Doing them in tandem, in slow-motion, was impressive to me. I did lose interest when Nicki Manaj joined in.

Naaah, for me it was kind of the highlight, at least in the sense of it being an actual song that'll be on their new album, played without visuals. Switching it up by throwing her in unexpectedly may have even justified the whole thing as a skit in my mind too. From the way the chant her in, followed by her giving the funniest, but most unabashedly perverted verse in it (and not to mention her perfect delivery of it), I was definitely impressed with it and how well she fit in, even though I'm not sure if it was written by her or The Lonely Island.

I wouldn't even say I'm a fan of her either. If she was more like she is on Kanye West's "Monster" and now "The Creep", I think she'd be a much more entertaining artist.

Lucky
02-01-2011, 12:45 AM
This is my favorite SNL skit from recent episodes. How great is Kristen Wiig?

Secret Word (http://www.hulu.com/watch/207595/saturday-night-live-secret-word#s-p4-sr-i1)

Raiders
02-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Catching up on White Collar and the woman who plays Kate is a flinchingly bad actress. She's... awful. I don't even think she's pretty, but that may be spillover bitterness from her acting. It's possible that I only hate her hair.

She is a bad actress, but I disagree on looks. Her eyes are wonderful. They deserve more acting talent.

EyesWideOpen
02-01-2011, 02:05 AM
Naaah, for me it was kind of the highlight, at least in the sense of it being an actual song that'll be on their new album, played without visuals. Switching it up by throwing her in unexpectedly may have even justified the whole thing as a skit in my mind too. From the way the chant her in, followed by her giving the funniest, but most unabashedly perverted verse in it (and not to mention her perfect delivery of it), I was definitely impressed with it and how well she fit in, even though I'm not sure if it was written by her or The Lonely Island.

I wouldn't even say I'm a fan of her either. If she was more like she is on Kanye West's "Monster" and now "The Creep", I think she'd be a much more entertaining artist.

She has a ton of promise. Her verse on Monster is probably my favorite rap of the last few years. She has 4 or 5 really strong songs on her album (Dungeon Dragon being the highlight at least until Eminem ruins it) it's just a shame the rest is throwaway r&b music.

Henry Gale
02-01-2011, 03:19 AM
She has a ton of promise. Her verse on Monster is probably my favorite rap of the last few years. She has 4 or 5 really strong songs on her album (Dungeon Dragon being the highlight at least until Eminem ruins it) it's just a shame the rest is throwaway r&b music.

I agree. I think the most I liked any song on Pink Friday was "Your Love", but even in the case of that it's still mostly as an unsubstantial guilty pleasure. And even for the Eminem one (which I think is called "Roman's Revenge"), there's Swizz Beatz's lazy hack production to annoy me and make the whole thing sound way more generic than it should.

I can only hope she's trying to do what Lady Gaga did, starting out by presenting herself as relatively normal and then going crazier and crazier, somewhat reflecting in the music as time went on. There's definitely potential.

Edit: I like "Blazin" a lot as well, but even then haven't listened to it more than a few times.

Mara
02-01-2011, 10:29 AM
She is a bad actress, but I disagree on looks. Her eyes are wonderful. They deserve more acting talent.

They were creeping me out. Her pupils are really, really small. I almost wondered if she was wearing colored contacts.

I couldn't upload it, but you can see it here. (http://blastr.com/assets_c/2009/03/PercyJackson_AlexandraDaddario-thumb-400x268-15051.jpg) It's like she's looking into the sun.

Acapelli
02-02-2011, 01:30 AM
i think i'm some sort of masochist or something for continuing to watch "v"

etm, you still watching?

Thirdmango
02-02-2011, 03:18 AM
I'm still watching V, I don't pay attention too much, but I do still watch it when I want something mind numbing.

[ETM]
02-02-2011, 09:20 AM
i think i'm some sort of masochist or something for continuing to watch "v"

etm, you still watching?

I've been away from home for more than a month now, and I'm behind on everything. I'm still recording it and plan on watching it when I get back, though.

Mara
02-02-2011, 07:57 PM
Oh, hey, look, my article on Groundhog Day Loops (http://www.justpressplay.net/movies/tv/7396-groundhog-day-and-the-time-loop-legacy.html) showed up on justpressplay.

:cool:

number8
02-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Oh. Yes. Forgot to tell you that.

Mara
02-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Oh. Yes. Forgot to tell you that.

:lol: I found it. Thanks!

I'm just self-promoting for everyone else.

Kurosawa Fan
02-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Oh, hey, look, my article on Groundhog Day Loops (http://www.justpressplay.net/movies/tv/7396-groundhog-day-and-the-time-loop-legacy.html) showed up on justpressplay.

:cool:

Disagree completely with your Eureka grade. Otherwise, a very solid read.

Mara
02-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Disagree completely with your Eureka grade. Otherwise, a very solid read.

I'm so pissed about Nathan. Really.

EDIT: Wait, did you think it was better, or worse?

Mara
02-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Wish I could have included the Buffy loop, but I didn't feel like it counted, since it was only a partial episode. But so funny.

Kurosawa Fan
02-02-2011, 11:33 PM
I'm so pissed about Nathan. Really.

EDIT: Wait, did you think it was better, or worse?

Better. I didn't think it felt cheap at all. It was unexpected, but in a town like Eureka, something like that should be unexpected, and it was nice to see some consequence to their actions. But damn, is Nathan ever missed. I was pretty devastated by that moment. :cry:

Kurosawa Fan
02-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Wish I could have included the Buffy loop, but I didn't feel like it counted, since it was only a partial episode. But so funny.

This definitely should have been included, partial episode or not. It was so great.

Mara
02-02-2011, 11:39 PM
This definitely should have been included, partial episode or not. It was so great.

The nerds actually discuss the X-files and Star Trek episodes while watching Buffy loop. It's meta-fun.

Lucky
02-02-2011, 11:50 PM
"I'm going to marry Bob Dole and raise penguins in Guam."

Mara
02-02-2011, 11:54 PM
"I'm going to marry Bob Dole and raise penguins in Guam."

"If you like slug, go with slug! She's not gonna sleep with you anyway!"

Mara
02-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Downton Abbey is pretty amazing. I'm only a couple of hours in, but it's luscious. So beautiful, and the writing is surprisingly good. (It's not unusual to see a production this expensive just to coast on strong visuals.) The characters are astonishingly well-drawn. I'm totally feeling it.

Winston*
02-05-2011, 03:49 AM
Downton Abbey is pretty amazing. I'm only a couple of hours in, but it's luscious. So beautiful, and the writing is surprisingly good. (It's not unusual to see a production this expensive just to coast on strong visuals.) The characters are astonishingly well-drawn. I'm totally feeling it.
I've only got 1 more episode to go. Good thing there's going to be another season.

Mara
02-05-2011, 12:13 PM
I've only got 1 more episode to go. Good thing there's going to be another season.

I totally mainlined it and finished it last night.

Like Gosford Park, this show isn't afraid to put you through the wringer. All the characters are so flawed that, unlike most period pieces, there aren't really people you're rooting for, instead you're just sitting back and seeing what happens. Similarly, there aren't convenient match-ups of couples that "should" be together-- it's more complicated than that.

Sort of a Mad Men for the corset set.

Highly, highly recommended.

Hugh_Grant
02-05-2011, 05:22 PM

Best thing I've seen on television in a long time.

[ETM]
02-06-2011, 09:05 PM
All the characters are so flawed that, unlike most period pieces, there aren't really people you're rooting for, instead you're just sitting back and seeing what happens.

I'm very fond of both Lady Sybil and Miss Anna, actually.

Hugh_Grant
02-06-2011, 10:58 PM
;322483']I'm very fond of both Lady Sybil and Miss Anna, actually.
I have a huge crush on Bates.

I really want to rewatch the entire series.

‘What Is a Weekend?’ and the Best Maggie Smith Quotes From Downton Abbey (http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/01/downton_abbey_maggie_smith_quo .html)

Mara
02-06-2011, 11:01 PM
I have a huge crush on Bates.

Hoo boy howdy. Totally charming.

Anna is, I think, the most virtuous person on the show. And I'm interested to see what they do with Sybil.

number8
02-07-2011, 02:38 PM
I miss this True Blood.

7p17_-A2nqg

Mara
02-07-2011, 05:09 PM
I dunno. It seems like there are a number of shows that I'm happy to be watching right now, but nothing I'm actually excited for. There's none of that thrill I got when there was a new Lost on, or when Mad Men was on fire.

Raiders
02-07-2011, 05:26 PM
I dunno. It seems like there are a number of shows that I'm happy to be watching right now, but nothing I'm actually excited for. There's none of that thrill I got when there was a new Lost on, or when Mad Men was on fire.

Only Justified for me (since it starts in two days). Everything else, if I miss it I'm not too upset. When Breaking Bad comes back, that will be added.

But yeah, nothing like when I was very truly sad about BSG being gone for nine months.

Mara
02-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I'm looking forward to Justified. Also, Mad Men, Doctor Who, and Torchwood need to come back.

[ETM]
02-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I'm looking forward to Justified. Also, Mad Men, Doctor Who, and Torchwood need to come back.

That reminds me - the soundtrack for the A Christmas Carol comes out in two days, I think.

number8
02-07-2011, 08:51 PM
At this point in time, only Justified and Young Justice for me (there's a theme here). Oh, and House, though this season has gone way downhill in quality since House became happy. They're not going to top the shockingly great writing in last season, and I believe it's time for them to just quit.

There's a significant dearth and it's bumming me out. At least it gives me time to catch up on shows I'm behind on, though, like Peep Show.

I cannot freaking wait for the 4th season of Torchwood.

Acapelli
02-07-2011, 08:53 PM
everyone should be watching adventure time

number8
02-07-2011, 08:55 PM
everyone should be watching adventure time

I tried. Not keen.

Spaceman Spiff
02-07-2011, 09:50 PM
What's everyone's favorite season of Kids in the Hall?

Acapelli
02-07-2011, 10:14 PM
I tried. Not keen.
crazy talk

Mara
02-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Okay, for real, does my brother look like Tahmoh Penikett? Because someone said that and now I can't unsee it, and it's ruining Tahmoh for me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/ilo.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/maragirl/Tahmoh_Penikett.jpg

Winston*
02-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Not really.

Mara
02-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Not really.

Good. Because I was crushing on him during BSG and that would make everything very awkward.

EyesWideOpen
02-08-2011, 12:32 AM

The only kind of long format show I get super excited for right now is Fringe which has surpassed Lost for me.

MadMan
02-08-2011, 01:00 AM
I'm starting Life on Mars and The Wire right now, I'm still watching Community and The Office, and I'm planning to view The Shield, Justified, and later on revisiting Venture Brothers so I can finally view the new season, too. And of course I still watch Adult Swim a lot and I hope to eventually finish Season 6 of Lost, Arrested Development, and Season 6 Part 2 of The Sopranos. Plus there's Archer on FX and Dr. Who's Series 6 coming up on BBC America. At this point I'm leaning towards not starting any series that's already on the air, although I guess Justified does count as such.

Mara
02-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Been rewatching some Dollhouse while doing menial paperwork at work. The first season has the inconsistency I remembered (and the bad episodes are, honestly, pretty bad) but DAMN if the good bits aren't more brilliant than I remembered. Enver wrenches my widdle heart every time he's on screen.

It's actually kind of astonishing.

Mara
02-10-2011, 06:26 PM

How did this ever get put on television?

Mara
02-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Boyd: You know, after that news anchor...
Adelle: Which one?
Boyd: The one who wanted to be rolled in eggs and flour and dipped in...
Adelle: Ah, Tempura Joe. Such a lonely soul.

;)

ledfloyd
02-10-2011, 10:33 PM
indeed. i actually found the second season slightly disappointing after it failed to live up to the high points of season 1.

Mara
02-10-2011, 11:43 PM
indeed. i actually found the second season slightly disappointing after it failed to live up to the high points of season 1.

I liked the second season more. I felt like it was more assured, and more driven with a clearer idea of where we were going with all of this.

[ETM]
02-10-2011, 11:47 PM
I wish Whedon could have made Dollhouse in, like, 1999.

Hugh_Grant
02-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Downton Abbey is now on Netflix Streaming. I may rewatch it.

Mara
02-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Downton Abbey is now on Netflix Streaming. I may rewatch it.

OOOOOOOH. I have so much to do, but that's tempting stuff.

number8
02-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Wow, gotta be the darkest HOUSE episode in a long time this week. Haven't seen him that nasty in a while.

number8
02-14-2011, 02:18 PM
Got Life on Mars: The Complete Series box set for review. Fun.

Mara
02-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Got Life on Mars: The Complete Series box set for review. Fun.

American?

number8
02-14-2011, 02:34 PM
American?

Why would that be fun?

Mara
02-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Why would that be fun?

Maybe you were being sarcastic.

Mara
02-14-2011, 03:13 PM
But now that does sound like fun. Let me know what you think: I've considered checking that out.

Fezzik
02-15-2011, 03:41 AM
I know there aren't a lot of wrestling fans here, but I had to come here and note...

After seven years, The Rock returned to Raw tonight, and you know what? He still runs circles around everyone else in terms of mic work. Just astounding.

Spun Lepton
02-16-2011, 03:14 PM
I signed up for Hulu Plus, one-week trial right now.

I ... don't think I'm going to continue. Daily Show, Colbert, Tosh.0, and Kitchen Nightmares are the only shows that I have any interest in. Hell's Kitchen isn't available for streaming through my device. Any other shows that interest me are already available on Netflix.

Meh.

MadMan
02-16-2011, 09:53 PM
Got Life on Mars: The Complete Series box set for review. Fun.Lucky. I'm on Series 2. Series 1 was really great, and I can't wait to find out how the show ends.

number8
02-16-2011, 10:19 PM
It ends with

a credit sequence.

Resist the click.

D_Davis
02-16-2011, 11:28 PM
I know there aren't a lot of wrestling fans here, but I had to come here and note...

After seven years, The Rock returned to Raw tonight, and you know what? He still runs circles around everyone else in terms of mic work. Just astounding.

He is incredibly charismatic.

number8
02-17-2011, 02:27 PM
It saddens me that he's not a bigger star. I think being trapped between throwaway action movies and kids movies is really holding him back. He needs to be in something with lots of sharp dialogue. Give him a Mamet or Sorkin script and I think he can knock it out of the park. Hell, give him an Apatow movie that'll allow him to improvise.

Mara
02-17-2011, 02:28 PM
For the proposed "Wonder Woman" television show on NBC, they've cast Adrianne Palicki.

Actually... a really fascinating choice. First time I've been mildly interested in it.

number8
02-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Another thing I want to add: getting The Rock to come back is a terrible move on McMahon's part for the exact reason Fezzik said. He runs fucking laps around their entire current roster and it just highlights how mediocre the WWE has become in terms of entertainment.

Cena's their biggest star right now, and he's a face, and The Rock turned the crowd against him in a matter of minutes. That's pure charisma, to be able to turn a face into a heel without any storyline backing him up. He just talks and everyone goes along with it, even chanting "Cena sucks."

After Wrestlemania, then what? Unless the WWE stops touring and just do shows in LA, they won't be able to have The Rock on anytime they need a boost, and people are just going to realize that they've accustomed themselves to lowered standards.

D_Davis
02-17-2011, 03:22 PM
It saddens me that he's not a bigger star. I think being trapped between throwaway action movies and kids movies is really holding him back. He needs to be in something with lots of sharp dialogue. Give him a Mamet or Sorkin script and I think he can knock it out of the park. Hell, give him an Apatow movie that'll allow him to improvise.

He's picked some really shitty movies to be in.

But he's also been in some awesome movies; he gets major respect from me for Southland Tales.

He's a good actor, and he's got great presence.

Raiders
02-17-2011, 04:28 PM
I remember how good he was in The Rundown and everyone thought it was a sign of his arrival as a big, charismatic screen presence and he has kind of drifted along since.

I mean really, is there honestly a good reason him and Jason Statham haven't had their own Tango & Cash?

number8
02-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Seriously, by now he should have his own Lethal Weapon franchise. Who the fuck's his agent?

Ezee E
02-17-2011, 05:23 PM
There should be a prequel to The Other Guys with just him and Sam Jackson.

But ideally, he needs his own R-Rated comedy.

D_Davis
02-17-2011, 05:23 PM
The Rundown is awesome, and The Rock is great in it. I fully expected him to become a huge action start after that. He's got a great personality; he seems likable.

Spun Lepton
02-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Seriously, by now he should have his own Lethal Weapon franchise. Who the fuck's his agent?

Ooh, good call. I'd see that.

D_Davis
02-18-2011, 04:28 AM
That was one of the best episodes of The Office, ever.

So awesome.

Henry Gale
02-18-2011, 05:06 AM

So awesome.

This one, the Christmas one, and the Walkabout one have easily been three of the funniest ones they've done in a long time. Sad to realize there's only so many more with Michael, since they seem to have actually found something for him to be good at again (and not just skinny, hyper Homer Simpson).

D_Davis
02-18-2011, 05:10 AM
This one, the Christmas one, and the Walkabout one have easily been three of the funniest ones they've done in a long time. Sad to realize there's only so many more with Michael, since they seem to have actually found something for him to be good at again (and not just skinny, hyper Homer Simpson).

This season has, for the most part, been great. The only episode I didn't really care for was the one a few weeks ago when Andy gave the seminar.

Dead & Messed Up
02-18-2011, 05:21 AM

So awesome.

Michael leaving has given the show a steam it hasn't had since Michael Scott Paper Company. Things feel consequential, which gives the laughs added dimension. And in this episode specifically, there was a lot of warmth, and it didn't feel cheap.

Mara
02-19-2011, 01:29 AM
The nineties really gave us some great sitcoms.

Mad About You, Wings, Newsradio, Married... with Children, Frasier, Seinfeld, Sports Night...

A friend and I have been watching some old episodes of 3rd Rock from the Sun, and while it's not earth-shattering, it's really pretty fun. John Lithgow is hamtastic and Joseph Gordon-Levitt is cute as a tiny little button.

Dead & Messed Up
02-19-2011, 04:55 AM
The nineties really gave us some great sitcoms.

Mad About You, Wings, Newsradio, Married... with Children, Frasier, Seinfeld, Sports Night...

A friend and I have been watching some old episodes of 3rd Rock from the Sun, and while it's not earth-shattering, it's really pretty fun. John Lithgow is hamtastic and Joseph Gordon-Levitt is cute as a tiny little button.

There's an episode with Lithgow and Cleese that nearly brought me to tears. I can't remember which one (IMDB says there were four), but it was this amazing ham-off.

DavidSeven
02-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Glad I'm not the only who admits to watching and enjoying Wings.

Raiders
02-19-2011, 06:36 PM
Glad I'm not the only who admits to watching and enjoying Wings.

Not sure why you say that guiltily. That show is awesome.

Derek
02-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Also a fan of Wings. I'd put it in the second tier of 90s sitcoms, but only because the top tier stuff was SO good. It has unfairly been left by the wayside though - should get props more often.

Kurosawa Fan
02-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Oh yeah, Wings is a quality show. And I say that with no hesitation. In fact, I'm not sure I know anyone who disagrees with that statement IRL.

angrycinephile
02-19-2011, 07:13 PM
Yeah, Wings truly was an awesome show. Glad to see it has its fans.

Mara
02-19-2011, 08:54 PM
I haven't seen it since it was actually on the air, but I remember finding it charming.

MadMan
02-21-2011, 09:31 PM
I revisited Wings a while back, and laughed my ass off. I recall viewing the series finale when it aired, but I don't really remember what happened in that episode. Very underrated, yes.

The Rock could still be a great star. I do agree that after being in a bunch of shitty Disney movies that he should fire his agent.

There should be a prequel to The Other Guys with just him and Sam Jackson.

But ideally, he needs his own R-Rated comedy.I would see both of those movies.

It ends with

a credit sequence.

Resist the click.You know what I meant, yah cheeky bugger :P

I agree that The Office has been great this season. I liked last season, but this one has topped it really well. The Michael Scott movie was hilarious.

Dukefrukem
02-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Most misleading article ever (http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/TV/02/18/firefly.returns.ew/index.html?hpt=Sbin)?

number8
02-22-2011, 04:02 PM
http://helpnathanbuyfirefly.com/

People are seriously trying to give him $300 million. I feel like it would be a shame if people donate that much money and we spend it on a TV show.

Raiders
02-22-2011, 04:07 PM
Am I the only big fan of Firefly who is content with what we have and has no real desire for it to come back? I was glad they got to make Serenity and pleased with how it resolved. I an happy with the sixteen hours that exist.

Mara
02-22-2011, 04:18 PM
Am I the only big fan of Firefly who is content with what we have and has no real desire for it to come back? I was glad they got to make Serenity and pleased with how it resolved. I an happy with the sixteen hours that exist.

I'm really glad there was a film to resolve the issues, but I don't see the point to spending enormous amounts of time and energy trying to resurrect it.

I would have liked another season of Dollhouse, too, but I would have wanted it still to end exactly the way it did: with Epitaph 2.

Dukefrukem
02-22-2011, 04:25 PM
I'm fine the way it is, but I'd also be excited if they decided to do something else with it.

It was MC that got me on Firefly to begin with. (along with countless other movies and TV shows)

[ETM]
02-22-2011, 05:16 PM

Indeed. I don't feel like there's much left in the characters after what we had, nor the universe without them. That ship has long sailed.

Mara
02-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Arrested Development, on the other hand...

number8
02-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Why would anyone want to continue Firefly without Wash, anyway.

Mara
02-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Maybe spoiler?

But AGREED AGREED AGREED.

EyesWideOpen
02-22-2011, 06:05 PM
If I won the lottery I'd use my money to bring back Better Off Ted. It's at least recent enough to be doable.

number8
02-22-2011, 06:05 PM
;326674']Indeed. I don't feel like there's much left in the characters after what we had, nor the universe without them. That ship has long sailed.

Into the black. And it ain't comin' back.

MadMan
02-22-2011, 07:08 PM
I've only seen the movie, which to me was awesome and had a good ending for the whole thing. I'll watch the show, eventually....

[ETM]
02-22-2011, 08:01 PM
If anyone hasn't read the Firefly comic about Book's story, you should. It's probably not what you'd expect, but it does shut the door behind it. I'm now finally at peace with the 'Verse.

Spun Lepton
02-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Watched a bunch of episodes of Peep Show on Hulu. It's ... all right. It's a clever format, but the comedy is kinda meh. I'll stick with their follow-up, That Mitchell and Webb Look. (I wish Series 2 would get to Netflix, already.)

Qrazy
02-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Watched a bunch of episodes of Peep Show on Hulu. It's ... all right. It's a clever format, but the comedy is kinda meh. I'll stick with their follow-up, That Mitchell and Webb Look. (I wish Series 2 would get to Netflix, already.)

How far in are you? Stay with it, there are a number of just absolutely hilarious moments.

number8
02-23-2011, 12:47 AM
It's by far the funniest show currently on. My sides hurt when I watch it. Even COMMUNITY is a distant second.

Mara
02-23-2011, 12:49 AM
I turned a friend on to Downton Abbey and talking about it with her makes me want to watch the whole thing over again.

Kurosawa Fan
02-23-2011, 01:20 AM

Series 2 is on Netflix. Saw it there yesterday. As is series 3.

Spun Lepton
02-23-2011, 01:49 AM
Series 2 is on Netflix. Saw it there yesterday. As is series 3.

Sweet! Here's to hoping Sir Digby Chicken Ceasar has made repeat appearances.

Thirdmango
02-23-2011, 02:03 AM
http://netflix.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=384

Mara
02-23-2011, 02:12 AM
Those are some really great shows.

[ETM]
02-23-2011, 04:00 AM
I turned a friend on to Downton Abbey and talking about it with her makes me want to watch the whole thing over again.

It's funny how it's filled both with a sense of longing and nostalgia, as well as an overbearing sense of upcoming doom. It's a strange mix, and a period I keep coming back to in fiction. Nothing quite as enchanting like the lulls before the storm. Same reason I find Hugo Pratt's Corto Maltese so exhilarating.

Sycophant
02-23-2011, 07:44 AM
http://netflix.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=384

Oh, yes. Cheers, I will finally watch you.

Spun Lepton
02-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Mitchell and Webb Look ...

"Greenland?!"
"Whatever!!"

Qrazy
02-24-2011, 12:57 AM
It's by far the funniest show currently on. My sides hurt when I watch it. Even COMMUNITY is a distant second.

I loved in this series when they got trapped in no man's land in the flat.

Spun Lepton
02-24-2011, 03:24 AM
Series 2 of That Mitchell and Webb Look had it moments, but it was kind of a disappointment. It seemed stale. I've watched 3 episodes of Series 3 and I've already hurt myself laughing. The Jane Austin conga line sketch had me laughing until tears, and then Webb did his "disco dance" at the end, and I hurt myself. I also like the post-apocalyptic game show. "Please remember, remain indoors." I don't know what they did between 2 and 3, but it re-ignited a spark that was missing from 2.

Mara
02-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Raising Hope actually had me shrieking with laughter this week. Amy Sedaris ftw!

Raiders
02-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Raising Hope actually had me shrieking with laughter this week. Amy Sedaris ftw!

Yes, one of the best episodes yet.

Dead & Messed Up
02-24-2011, 11:51 PM
I'm done with Season One of Louie. It was good. My favorites were "God" and "Bully." I like how the episodes have a free-association approach, but when he really zooms in on a subject, he handles it so damned well.

D_Davis
02-25-2011, 04:41 AM
Parks & Rec is really missing something without Mark Brendanawicz. His character added a lot to the show. He was the straight man to everyone.

EyesWideOpen
02-25-2011, 02:19 PM
Parks & Rec is really missing something without Mark Brendanawicz. His character added a lot to the show. He was the straight man to everyone.

I very much disagree. Adam Scott is the new straight man and he's a huge step up.

Dukefrukem
02-25-2011, 05:15 PM
zLN-9FWXW8U

Winston*
02-28-2011, 05:56 AM
Just found out Neil Jordan's making a series about the Borgias starring Jeremy Irons, coming out in a couple of months. Looking forward to that.

Acapelli
02-28-2011, 03:21 PM
starting the shield up. looking forward to what i'm in for

Acapelli
02-28-2011, 03:22 PM
also, lol at "bawitdaba" at the end of episode 1

Acapelli
02-28-2011, 03:29 PM
is "the unit" worth watching? i've seen the odd episode here and there and liked it, but couldn't always follow completely due to ongoing storylines. was looking at shawn ryan's imdb and saw him listed as an executive producer

[ETM]
02-28-2011, 03:41 PM
I caught a small teaser for "Neverland", the Peter Pan TV prequel, during Sky HD's Oscar telecast, and while it is directed by the guy who did "Alice" and "Tin Man" for SyFy, the visuals looked interesting, and Rhys Ifans as Hook, plus Anna Friel and Bob Hoskins reprising his role as Smee from "Hook"... I'm at least intrigued.

MadMan
02-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Life On Mars Series 2 wasn't as good as Series 1, but it was still really great and had some excellent episodes. I'm a bit mixed about how the show ended, but the final scene makes a great deal of sense, and having watched the DVD extra on the show being over, I'm glad they didn't choose to go another route. I'm not sure if I'll give Ashes to Ashes a chance, although I'm tempted to largely because of Gene Hunt, who is now one of my favorite TV characters.

[ETM]
02-28-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm not sure if I'll give Ashes to Ashes a chance, although I'm tempted to largely because of Gene Hunt, who is now one of my favorite TV characters.

Ashes was a bit frustrating to follow while it aired, but I think you'll dig it overall, especially if you appreciate making fun of the 80s. It had a pretty powerful ending and almost made up for any missteps.

MadMan
03-01-2011, 01:42 AM
;328223']Ashes was a bit frustrating to follow while it aired, but I think you'll dig it overall, especially if you appreciate making fun of the 80s. It had a pretty powerful ending and almost made up for any missteps.Well I'm not as found of the 80s as I'm the 70s, but if it mocks the decade that I can appreciate that. Perhaps at some point I'll give it a shot.

Up next for me is either the last disc of Eeire, Indiana (the library lost the 3rd disc, so I guess I'll have to try and track down the entire show at some point and buy it) or start Parks and Recreation.

Lucky
03-01-2011, 02:23 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed Downton Abbey, but I'm a bit disappointed by how stagnant it is. It's a smart show which knows its characters very precisely, but it's not courageous with its development. The fact that they basically hit the reset button on the main source of conflict throughout the series leaves me with an unpleasant aftertaste. Although it ended up partially unrewarding, I'm still pleased they picked it up for a second season. I enjoyed the ride far well enough that I look forward to watching.

[ETM]
03-01-2011, 05:14 AM
Wow, talk about meta-nerdiness on Chuck - they had Sonita Henry play the doctor who delivers Ellie's baby. She played the doctor who delivers James T. Kirk in the Star Trek reboot.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, noticing it is probably way nerdier.

Milky Joe
03-02-2011, 03:02 AM
Regarding Lost, I just needed to come here and vent about how truly terrible this whole thing with Michelle Rodriguez is. She is the worst thing to happen to the show. And the fact that all the other characters just stand there, seemingly in awe of her complete stupidity, and don't do anything. But I'm only a little ways into s2, so no spoilers!

Henry Gale
03-02-2011, 03:48 AM
Regarding Lost, I just needed to come here and vent about how truly terrible this whole thing with Michelle Rodriguez is. She is the worst thing to happen to the show. And the fact that all the other characters just stand there, seemingly in awe of her complete stupidity, and don't do anything. But I'm only a little ways into s2, so no spoilers!

I could be alone (seeing as how most people's opinions on the show vary wildly), but I'd most likely rank Season 2 as the weakest season. Michelle Rodriguez definitely seemed like a big reason for its sophomore slump at the time, but in retrospect, there are much bigger issues that creep in and out during many of those arcs, and some may not even click as being weak until way down the line when the show has long forgotten them.

Still, not all hope is... misplaced(?)... since that season gave us some great gifts in the form of some amazing individual episodes along the way, but especially in introducing some amazing characters that it's almost hard now imagining a whole first couple of seasons without.

MadMan
03-02-2011, 09:27 PM
No Season 2 is indeed the weakest season of the show, even though I'll still defend it as being quite good. And yes Rodriguez is the worst character in the show's history, without a doubt.

Acapelli
03-02-2011, 10:10 PM
it amazes me how an asshole like vic mackey is so goddamn likable

[ETM]
03-03-2011, 02:01 AM
They're working hard on Chuck: major Pulp Fiction, The Matrix references, and this:
http://www.the-king-tom.com/blog/img/numberscard.jpg

plus Ray Wise and François Chau - in the same episode. Nice.

Mara
03-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Still occasionally rewatching Dollhouse, and there are far more funny lines than I remembered.

"Your boyfriend's dead. Wanna snuggle? Too soon?"

"He's ten times the man you are! And you're, like, forty guys!"

Acapelli
03-04-2011, 06:17 PM
blew through the first season of the shield

great tv

number8
03-04-2011, 06:27 PM
blew through the first season of the shield

great tv

As the gays would say: it gets better.

Acapelli
03-04-2011, 06:41 PM
chiklis and the writers do a great job of making vic a sympathetic character, which is probably the best thing it has going for it

number8
03-04-2011, 07:01 PM
chiklis and the writers do a great job of making vic a sympathetic character, which is probably the best thing it has going for it

They will test this opinion of yours, repeatedly throughout the following seasons.

I'd say the first season is the least morally complex season of the show.

Raiders
03-04-2011, 07:15 PM
Anyone else watched Ryan's new series, The Chicago Code? Solid all around but never really exceptional in any way. I like the more political slant of its look at the police department coupled with its fairly standard, realistic approach to investigations. Delroy Lindo is pretty great as the series antagonist and the most recent episode was easily the best yet with Lindo's corrupt alderman narrating and justifying his actions with the show glancing almost neutrally at the "better" city he is attempting to create.

Acapelli
03-04-2011, 07:35 PM
watching the chicago code is what got me to start watching the shield

it's good, i don't think it's hampered by being on network tv too much, which is what i was worried about. though the narration reminds me way too much of ray liotta's v/o in goodfellas

number8
03-04-2011, 08:09 PM
It's all right. It definitely doesn't feel like a network cop show, especially in how they talk fast and all over each other when discussing a case, whereas most network shows would make sure the audience can follow what's going on with the case in every step of the way.

The cop who doesn't like swearing is just silly, though. His interactions with other cops would be better if they were like the cops on The Shield and The Wire, cursing all the time. But it gets ridiculous when a cop gets frustrated and says "ass" or "son of a bitch" and he gets all "Watch your language!"

[ETM]
03-04-2011, 08:24 PM
The cop who doesn't like swearing is just silly, though. His interactions with other cops would be better if they were like the cops on The Shield and The Wire, cursing all the time. But it gets ridiculous when a cop gets frustrated and says "ass" or "son of a bitch" and he gets all "Watch your language!"

My girlfriend loves the "These are for you, McNulty" scene from S1 of The Wire. Stuff like that is just... once you go cable cop show, you never go back.

Russ
03-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Any Chris Morris fans up in here?

Mara
03-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Home sick and cranky. So.

One of the reasons that reality television sucks so much is that the conventions established for the genre make the product as disposable as possible. They are so anxious to make the narrative palatable that they go beyond spoon-fooding and into the entertainment equivilent of an IV drip. There is no active participation on the part of the audience. You are not challenged to think or to involve yourself.

Three of those conventions that bother me the most are:

1. Showing the exact same footage more than once, sometimes three or four times in one episode. Usually just before and then after a commercial break. Either they think that audience are flipping to and from the show so often that they missed what just happened, or else they doubt the ability of the audience to remember what they showed us four minutes ago. Also included in this is when something important happened early in the show and they "flash back" to it within the same hour. "Hey, remember when Trevor said he's for sure win this week? And now he's being eliminated? Maybe you were in the bathroom for that part? Here it is again. IRONY, huh?"

2. Participant narration. Oh, for the love of little green apples. Don't show me something, tell me what you just showed me, and then SHOW IT AGAIN. I'm not an idiot. I got it the first time. And the second time. Now I just want to hit you.

Shot of host bringing out a cake.

Cut to shot of a cast member filmed an hour later.

CAST MEMBER: And then Traci brought out a cake! And I was like, whaaaat?

Cut back to cast member looking at the cake with a "whaaaat" expression.

I hate you all. I hate you all so much.

3. Flash forwards with misleading editing for something that is going to happen within the same episode. "When we come back to Fame Whores on Parade..." Um. You're teasing what is going to happen in ten minutes? You don't trust your show to hold my attention on its own merits for ten minutes? I mean, I was going to go trim my fingernails, but now that I know that Byron is going to look shocked at some point in this episode, fingernails be damned. I must know what that look of shock portends!

I... just... I mean, even the better reality shows buy into this crap. Why? WHYYYYYYYYYYYY? Is it just to hurt me?

Irish
03-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Calling reality TV a genre is sort of like calling fast food "cuisine." Technically accurate, I guess, but it still doesn't quite fit.

I always assume they did the 1 & 2 bits you mention as a way to cut costs. (The same way sci fi shows will reuse footage of ships flying in space from episode to episode).

Anyway, they're all a Jerry Singer sideshow, pure freakshow & just so cheap to produce. You get the right mix and man, it's a license to print money.

Acapelli
03-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Any Chris Morris fans up in here?
loved four lions, but i haven't seen any of his tv stuff

Mara
03-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Okay, all that said, Face Off is pretty entertaining. Wackadoodle crazy prosthetic make-up is interesting enough to hold my attention even when the format is so relentlessly annoying. And they finally eliminated the guy I want to punch in the face, so I'll keep watching.

Russ
03-06-2011, 06:00 PM
loved four lions, but i haven't seen any of his tv stuff

I really want to see Four Lions, have heard really good things.

I just watched the entire Jam series and I must say, it knocked me for a bit of a loop.

Jam is an extremely dark British satire sketch show whose comedy bits (if you can call them that) can be hit or miss (but mostly hit) and the humor walks a fine line between dry satire and surreal nightmare. All the skits are backed by an ambient music background (even the quiet, talky ones), which does lend an unsettling air to material that is already almost too bizarre in nature. Needless to say, I love it. Some of the skits are beautifully haunting and are like little works of art. It's definitely an acquired taste. Chris Morris's television shows apparently have always generated a bit of a love it or hate it divide -- not much gray area.

I've watched the entire Jam series and each show deserves to be experienced in its entirety. The techniques used throughout a single episode (distorted features, electronically altered vocals, bizarre camera angles) produce a cumulative effect of a kind of bemused wariness that when combined with the actual deadpan and verrry dark (and sometimes downright sick and offensive) material, well, the overall effect is of being encouraged to laugh in ways one had never thought possible (especially when combined with the horrific, nightmarish quality of much of the material). I can see the show being classified as a specific type of experimental television that is more admired than enjoyed by many viewers. Having finished the series, I'm of the mind that Chris Morris is either insanely brilliant or brilliantly insane. And in his case, there may not be much difference between the two.

Here's a clip that is pretty indicative of the tone of the show, but to really get the full effect, you need to watch entire episodes.

P0n4hclzCyE

Mara
03-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Oooor we could treat the year starting in Fall '10 as NEXT years awards? So the awards that we vote on now would be for the Fall 2009 - Summer 2010 period?

...just a thought. We could take this to the TV Discussion Thread so we don't derail this thread any longer.

Fall 2009 was too long ago. We don't care about them anymore.

I'd like to count Summer 2010, Fall 2010, and any mid-season starters for 2010. So, like... June to June.

Ezee E
03-06-2011, 09:44 PM
The only bad thing about this is that most Match Cutters probably watch their TV through Netflix, and are catching up on past seasons. I'd suggest keeping the nominations to 3 or so.

Lucky
03-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Fall 2009 was too long ago. We don't care about them anymore.

I'd like to count Summer 2010, Fall 2010, and any mid-season starters for 2010. So, like... June to June.

Alright, I like it.

Categories?

Best Series (Comedy/Drama split?)
Best Actor/Actress/Supp Actor/Supp Actress (Comedy/Drama split?)
Best Ensemble
Best Episode
Best Directing
Best Writing
Best Costumes
Best Guest Star
Best Reality Show?

Lucky
03-06-2011, 09:49 PM
The only bad thing about this is that most Match Cutters probably watch their TV through Netflix, and are catching up on past seasons. I'd suggest keeping the nominations to 3 or so.

Yeah, I was thinking about the catching up aspect of TV watching. Like I watch Mad Men via DVD release so I've seen Season 3, but not Season 4 yet.

The 2009 season was quite a bit ago, but at least I've had time to see more of the contenders.

Mara
03-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Alright, I like it.

Categories?

Best Series (Comedy/Drama split?)
Best Actor/Actress/Supp Actor/Supp Actress (Comedy/Drama split?)
Best Ensemble
Best Episode
Best Directing
Best Writing
Best Costumes
Best Guest Star
Best Reality Show?

Something like that. We could have best animated as well. I'd split comedies and drama.

Mara
03-06-2011, 09:55 PM
If we hold it in June that gives people time to catch up on stuff they haven't seen yet. Or at least enough to know how they would vote.

Mara
03-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Honestly, if I were running things I'd want serious categories, but I'd like to get a little whimsical too. I wonder if MC would put up with it.

amberlita
03-06-2011, 10:35 PM
I think it'd be nice to have categories for Cinematography and Art Design. One of the things I like most about some of the dramas on television is how fantastic they look.

I'm confused about the timeline. So are we talking June 2010 to May 2011 shows? Nobody asked me, but my vote would be for June 2009 thru May 2010. That's essentially the Emmy timeline. We're a little late, but it kinda sucks to have such a fun idea and have to wait until this June to even vote on it. I agree, I've had time to complete the previous seasons of shows and we're still in the middle of a bunch now.

Plus, if we wait until this June, I can't vote for Breaking Bad in anything since it won't have aired during that timeline. :frustrated:

Mara
03-06-2011, 10:47 PM
We're a little late, but it kinda sucks to have such a fun idea and have to wait until this June to even vote on it. I agree, I've had time to complete the previous seasons of shows and we're still in the middle of a bunch now.

I ran with the original timeline. I think we could do the ceremony in May because shows don't really premiere in May. I don't want to do it now, right when several new shows are coming up in the next couple of months.

Plus, if we wait until this June, I can't vote for Breaking Bad in anything since it won't have aired during that timeline. :frustrated:

Yes, that's a problem. I think we could probably fudge a little for Breaking Bad in the interest of fairness.

Mara
03-06-2011, 10:53 PM
I don't know, this timeline just makes more sense to me. I just checked when I wrote this (http://match-cut.org/showthread.php?t=3049) thread going through the year in television, and I made it last June. Because that's when it feels like the television "year" is winding down.

I mean, it feels so uncurrent to be nominating people from Lost and Dollhouse, doesn't it?

Acapelli
03-07-2011, 03:24 AM
P0n4hclzCyE
really unexpected lols from this. the ambient soundtrack and the "screwed" dialogue definitely add to the sketch rather than act as a detriment