Page 12 of 100 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: The Netflix Thread

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Netflix are clearly assholes. I was browsing the streaming titles, not knowing what to watch, and on impulse put on Dear Zachary. Now I can't turn it off. Why the fuck am I rewatching this?
    Because you're feeling emotional today, and you need a good cry?

After this I hope they don't put on that ridiculous charge for having access to blu ray discs.

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    For the service netflix provides me I consider them to be ridiculously cheap. I have hundreds of movies in my streaming queue and I can get sent pretty much any dvd I want in a day. If they charged $40 a month for the plan I'm currently getting which is one out and streaming I still would be happy.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Well I'll probably switch only to streaming, but if I don't get a 360 like I'm planning to do down the road then going to DVD only would make the most sense. On one hand, I'm not happy about this, but at the same time I'll grumblingly admit that I'm still better off using Netflix than my local video stores. My local library though has a pretty sweet collection. Maybe I'll hope they get more movies and TV shows in the future I can rent for free, which will lessen the blow.

In the meantime, I'm going to load up on DVDs being mailed out as much as possible. Although I guess I can always switch my plan back and forth to suit my needs at the time.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    The animated 90s X-Men cartoon is now on instant viewing. Sweeeeet.

Also, Uncle Boonme. Huh.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

My sister and I are conspiring. She's going to keep the physical DVDs and I'm going to keep streaming, and we're going to share. You can do that when you live super close.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    My sister and I are conspiring. She's going to keep the physical DVDs and I'm going to keep streaming, and we're going to share. You can do that when you live super close.
    reported.

The FBI warning at the beginning of the DVD clearly states that you are not aloud to lend the movie.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    The FBI warning at the beginning of the DVD clearly states that you are not aloud to lend the movie.
    We're not lending. We're sharing, like Mama always told us to.

...and the milk's in me.

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    I'm on my free trial with the Canadian version of this, and even just by skimming through this thread, it's obvious that it's a weaker selection, but there are a number of things that it has that I still think justifies the $8 a month, especially if/when it improves over time. Particularly the TV stuff, like apparently we've already had every season of Mad Men (since it's here it's owned by Maple instead of Lionsgate), a lot of random Criterions, a ton of recent movies (especially documentaries and foreign ones) that I wouldn't have thought to look for otherwise, and just a lot of other shows that I want to watch but don't think I'd buy DVDs of (Kids in the Hall, Top Gear, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Damages, The Boondocks, MST3K, dozens of shows from my youth, Nickelodeon especially).

But man, knowing that I could potentially have things like Twin Peaks and '90s X-Men... Maybe one day.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

you know, as much as people are complaining about these price hikes, it's still cheaper than any viable alternative. i mean are you going to get greencine and hulu plus? you're going to be paying more, and getting less.

Yeah, there was no way that price was going to last. I am not surprised at all by the raised rates.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Now I know exactly how all those starving people without Netflix in Africa feel.

I'll see if I can find the article again, but I read somewhere that Sony and Starz were going to pull their content because Netflix had reached its contractual "upper limit" for the amount of subscribers it could have for its streaming/disc combo plan, so they were essentially forced to split the plans to keep Sony and Starz materials.

So, yeah. I'm planning to keep my 1-disc-out and my Instant plans, anyway. I think I can afford 8 more bucks a month.

Hulu, on the other hand ... they're still walking the line. I don't like paying a subscriber fee and having to sit through commericals at regular intervals.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Hulu Plus is a joke. No offense, Spun. Seriously though, it's a racket. Commercials, web-only shows, limited content, all for the same price as Netflix? Not a chance.

I tried Hulu Plus after I cut the cable. I was indifferent towards it, until the 'stuttering' started, then I stopped using it.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I think USA, TNT, ESPN, MTV, and any other basic cable is more of a racket than Hulu Plus.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I think USA, TNT, ESPN, MTV, and any other basic cable is more of a racket than Hulu Plus.
    Never said it wasn't, though I'm not sure how that's a legit defense of the flaws of Hulu Plus.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Never said it wasn't, though I'm not sure how that's a legit defense of the flaws of Hulu Plus.
    Never said it was.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Hulu Plus is a joke. No offense, Spun. Seriously though, it's a racket. Commercials, web-only shows, limited content, all for the same price as Netflix? Not a chance.
    Some TV shows are no longer available to non-subscribers, which is the only thing keeping me around. But, that's just barely.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Never said it was.
    My apologies. It seemed like you were defending it.

At least Netflix still does this:

"Bleak House: Disc 1 was not available from your local shipping center. Fortunately, it was available from a shipping center in another part of the country. It's on its way and should arrive within 3 to 5 days.

You'll notice we also recently sent the next available DVD from your Queue to enjoy while Bleak House: Disc 1 makes its way to you."

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Amazon VOD / Prime users just got CBS rights.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Mad Men: Season 1 added!

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Mad Men: Season 1 added!
    Awesome. Rewatching these.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Amazon today announced a deal with NBCUniversal Domestic TV Distribution that will make a number of Universal movies available to Prime subscribers at no added fee. The list of movies includes the likes of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Being John Malkovich, and Fletch.

Page 12 of 100 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast