Page 1928 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 92814281828187819181926192719281929193019381978 ... LastLast
Results 48,176 to 48,200 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Not taking that bait.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I believe a taser had already been deployed with the scuffle that was not featured in the above video.
    Yeah, prior to the video there's a scuffle and had apparently been hit (or misfired) by a taser.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

There was bait?

It wasn't intended.

The American military has a recognized percentage of people who enlist because they want a to be given a gun and the OK to kill.

I'm sure there are some of those in the police as well. And they're the ones we keep seeing in the news.
    Last edited by megladon8; 08-25-2020 at 08:54 PM.

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I get the feeling that a significant portion of America's police force get into that work because they want to feel like they're in the movie Scarface.
    I was going to go with Dirty Harry instead. Funny how the cop from the Zodiac case that inspired that movie hated the flick.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

I'll retract my hyperbole of "a significant portion of America's police force", and replace with "a large enough number that this is a problem that NEEDS to be dealt with or it will get worse and worse."

- - - - -
    Petition for the admins to change Duke's username to "Stevie Two-Houses," goodfellas style.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Petition for the admins to change Duke's username to "Stevie Two-Houses," goodfellas style.
    Worst day of my life is this Tuesday.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I'll retract my hyperbole of "a significant portion of America's police force", and replace with "a large enough number that this is a problem that NEEDS to be dealt with or it will get worse and worse."
    aka "significant."

"Don't worry, it's a small tumor. Those don't grow, do they?"

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    aka "significant."

Yeah, but I don't want to give the impression I'm one of those "ALL COPS ARE GARBAGE!!!" people.

Couldn't be farther from the truth.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Worst day of my life is this Tuesday.
    What happens on Tuesday???

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    What happens on Tuesday???
    First 2 mortgage payment.

[
    ]

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Yeah, but I don't want to give the impression I'm one of those "ALL COPS ARE GARBAGE!!!" people.

Couldn't be farther from the truth.
    I'm not ACAB either. I support the defund position currently.

I’m going to drop some social workers off on West Broadway in North Minneapolis during a violent domestic and see what happens

It’s been open season in Minneapolis since the protests and talk of defunding the police. Shootings have also increased in surrounding communities. If you want to partner up social workers with cops, go for it. If you want to neuter the police force, expect a continued increase in violent crime.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Hey, Scar.

My best understanding is that "defund the police" does not mean "neuter the police" or "abolish the police," it means reducing a portion of the city or state budget spent on police on patrol and reallocating that reduction toward social services that may better address the causes of crime at its core (different groups have different views on how big those reductions should be). If "defund" means sending desk jockeys with clipboards to violent domestics, then I would agree that that's not feasible, but (again) my best understanding is that that's on the further end of the "defund" conversation and much closer to "abolish."

The conversation in Minneapolis seems much more dramatic (for obvious reasons) and based on the premise of dismantling the police department altogether (aka "abolish") by changing language in the city charter.

I don't pretend to be an expert. I'm still learning. My sources regarding the situation there are what I've read in regional newspapers and what my brother (a Minneapolis resident) tells me.

The best case is ‘reformatting’ the police, which I’m fine with. I’m more than fine with better training for defusing situations, (which happens a helluva lot more than most people realize). My problem is that there a lot of protestors, some that I know personally, think that abolishing the police and relying on a purely holistic approach is the way to go. Yet, for some reason, they won’t accompany me to North Minneapolis in broad day light, let along after dark.

I’m tired, I’m grumpy, and have spent too much time in North for work recently.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    The best case is ‘reformatting’ the police, which I’m fine with. I’m more than fine with better training for defusing situations, (which happens a helluva lot more than most people realize). My problem is that there a lot of protestors, some that I know personally, think that abolishing the police and relying on a purely holistic approach is the way to go. Yet, for some reason, they won’t accompany me to North Minneapolis in broad day light, let along after dark.

I’m tired, I’m grumpy, and have spent too much time in North for work recently.
    I get it, man, and yeah, I don't support abolition of the police. My home city of Los Angeles recently "defunded" ~$150 million from their near $2 billion budget, and that was considered both not enough by the protestors and way too much by the police union. And that's a >10% reduction, so abolition seems way too volatile to me.

And yeah, better training in de-escalation, for sure.

This just in: Homicide suspect takes his own life, followed by looting of the downtown Target and Haskells liquor store.

I think Jocko Willink had a good take on it...police should have much more extensive training in deescalation and martial arts. Literally anyone with consistant training wouldve known George Floyd was incapacitated in about 20 seconds. Under current lack of training, police training is so infrequent, they're driving around practically terrified of every encounter, always ready to go lethal. You just dont have that instinct with constant training required of martial arts, especially when encounters are with citizens with no training. He suggested one day a week dedicated to such techniques, and I think hes right. I've had this conversation with other friends who've had constant training...when you're in the head space of constant training, fear fades of random encounters. Confidence in your skills/training helps with natural deescalation tendencies.

The best way I can explain it is if one of my children threatened me. You view it as a joke. Even with a weapon, I've had enough training I could disarm them without breathing hard. I'm not discounting random encounters with citizens with guns twice your size...but the George Floyd thing is the prime example of absolute incompetence, and the cops standing around thinking it was acceptable reaction (there really is no other explanation) is proof of failure of training. 8 min 46 seconds? Insanity. If all of those cops were full on trained (think UFC/MMA), they call those fights when the guy is on his way to the mat. Even if one officer lost control, the others couldve ref-ed in there within 20 seconds.

Eight minutes, forty-eight seconds. That's an eternity in martial arts time.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    aka "significant."

"Just a bad apple."

Its great when people bring that phrase to me in argument, and I ask them to finish the quote. To date I havent met anyone that knows the rest of it.

[
    ]

A few thoughts:

I'm amazed at the police inefficiency in that video. They certainly don't look prepared for that type of situation, and now a man is paralyzed for their lack of efficiency.

I'm with Skitch as well on the total incompetence of the Minneapolis cops.

What the Aurora cops did to Elijah McClain and knowingly remove their bodycams is terrible. Seeing that the cops had a picture later that was bragging about their chokehold is despicable.

But on the other hand:
    -If twitter had only seen that there was a man in a domestic dispute and stole housekeys from his girlfriend, with a warrant out for sexual assault/trespassing, they'd have called for his head.

-I'm very disappointed in the riots and the near encouragement of crime from media, lack of actual conversation from government leaders that would let people loot/riot rather then actually have a conversation and declare for change. Am I missing something in Portland/Seattle Government actually doing something in response to the protestors? If I am, then there certainly isn't anything happening to quell the protesting there.

-Haven't yet decided if the NBA players (and other athletes) sitting out today and possibly ending the NBA Season is beneficial or not. On one hand, it's so extreme that it's obviously getting noticed, but on the other hand, I feel like not having them on TV removes the platform that they were building so well. The interviews, jersey changes, and pregame activities brought lots of attention. Removing the NBA season takes away several voices that others could look up to.

I'm so over the place that I'm happy to have Match Cut to at least type these feelings out, even if they don't amount to anything.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Best of luck to those along the Louisiana/Texas border. That looks like a rough hurricane.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I was playing a boardgame at a buddy's house last night a block south of Lake St, where the most intense destruction occurred. You can see ChiLake liquors that got set on fire from his porch. 9:30 rolls around and word comes up that another riot is going on downtown. Question then became should I get home or wait. I decided to wait, because fuck this shit. Fortunately, our game wrapped up pretty quick, the madness was contained within a short area down town, and I was ultimately able to roll in around 10:30, about 15 minutes before the emergency broadcast system blasted that annoying as fuck siren sound out of my phone letting me know a curfew was in effect.

On a brighter side, Star Wars Outer Rim is a fun as hell boardgame, recommended for anyone who enjoys the world The Mandalorian takes place in.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I wish I could board game with you guys.

Never played one before.

There are plenty of boardgames that are plenty fun and don't require an advanced degree to learn. I'd be happy to recommend a few to you over in the board game thread, if you want.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)