Page 1868 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 868136817681818185818661867186818691870187819181968 ... LastLast
Results 46,676 to 46,700 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Team Please Destroy Twitter
    Nah I like Twitter. Twitter has horror fans and Joe Bob Briggs.

I would be more surprised if people didn't fall in love with serial killers.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

So I had Lasic surgery yesterday. Anyone want to see video?

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    The United States definitely has a morbid fascination with them, but I'm not sure that's exclusive to us.
    I think it's not, it's just that there are so many of them. We have the Macrotous Runt, Yiya Murano, The Angel of Death and that's it. The family from The Clan doesn't count for me - they might have been crazy but they demanded ransoms, they weren't pointless killings.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I bet you can see the video yourself, now!

Eh?

Eh?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Nooooooooooooooooo

Congrats though. I hear things are blurry for the first few days and then it starts to clear up after a week.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Nooooooooooooooooo

Congrats though. I hear things are blurry for the first few days and then it starts to clear up after a week.
    I started clearing up in hours. Today is already almost full back to normal.

I kinda wanna see it.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    I kinda wanna see it.
    []

Aftermath:

[]
    Last edited by Skitch; 02-02-2019 at 06:44 PM.

Can you shoot lasers from your eyes now?

If not, I’d say it’s totally not worth it.

- - - - -
    Holy fuck that was a BORING game.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Holy fuck that was a BORING game.
    I know I’m in the vast minority on this one. I enjoy defensive games.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I was mostly perturbed by the number of commercial spots that seemed like they were designed to prepare us for robots by simultaneously playing them as a source of fun humor and soulless automata that we are to look down upon as second-class citizens (you know, while the marketplace for jobs gets fucking annihilated by their presence).

I'm sure it wasn't intended that way, but boy oh boy I felt like I was living in some sort of William Gibson pizza dream.

- - - - -
    I was mostly perturbed by the number of commercial spots that seemed like they were designed to prepare us for robots by simultaneously playing them as a source of fun humor and soulless automata that we are to look down upon as second-class citizens (you know, while the marketplace for jobs gets fucking annihilated by their presence).

I'm sure it wasn't intended that way, but boy oh boy I felt like I was living in some sort of William Gibson pizza dream.
    Possibly relevant to your interests: What’s the Deal With All the Robots in This Year’s Super Bowl Ads? (AdWeek)

The robochild is creepy as shit.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Dunno if y'all have been keeping up with this Liam Neeson...thing, but I found this to be the strongest position taken that I've seen.

https://i.redd.it/w19pe1kbhwe21.jpg
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Producer
    Thanks for sharing that. I felt queasy reading what Neeson said, and then briefly wondered if it was me who missed the point when I saw the really strong support for him.
    Midnight Run (1988) - 9
    The Smiling Lieutenant (1931) - 8.5
    The Adventures of Robinhood (1938) - 8
    Sisters (1973) - 6.5
    Shin Godzilla (2016) - 7.5

I know it's not the worst thing, obviously, but typing all your qualifications into a job site AND THEN having to upload your resume with those exact same bullet points is just about the worst thing.

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    Dunno if y'all have been keeping up with this Liam Neeson...thing, but I found this to be the strongest position taken that I've seen.

https://i.redd.it/w19pe1kbhwe21.jpg
    I mean, maybe he said it not because he thinks he deserves to be forgiven, but because he deserves all of the criticism he is receiving for thinking and acting like that?

I find the talk about whether he should have said it or not to be dangerously distracting - it draws us ever closer to complete suppression of speech and thoughts and ideas - when the true issue is whether he deserves forgiveness or not for what he actually did (or didn't) do. But we sure as hell love turning everything into a fight over what can be said, rather than the substance behind it.

More honest talk is better, in my opinion. And anyone who thinks Neeson's actions were abhorrent and unforgivable is fully entitled to express those opinions. But to reduce it to "He can't say things like that" is dangerous.

(Bear in mind, I'm not one of those nutters who thinks that people should be able to say what they want with no ramifications - if their employer for example wants to fire them over hate speech or whatever, I say good for them, and social media can kick whoever the fuck they want off their platform for spouting arsehole opinions... but I think that is different from saying "He shouldn't say that because it makes me upset to think about.")
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I know it's not the worst thing, obviously, but typing all your qualifications into a job site AND THEN having to upload your resume with those exact same bullet points is just about the worst thing.
    I have never understood this. I feel like companies will just end up looking at one of the pieces in the end, and tossing the other away anyways.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I have never understood this. I feel like companies will just end up looking at one of the pieces in the end, and tossing the other away anyways.
    I have to think you type in the qualifications manually so some sort of shitty HR software can search it for keywords, and then you upload the PDF so a human person can look at it after you've made it through that first filter.

I have the best worst problem to have right now. Three organizations within my company want me. All have pros/cons, mostly different pros- need to make a decision by next week.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I know that I, personally, would go for whichever one has the best benefits.

I am a very sickly person, and work in an industry that generally doesn’t provide much help in that regard. (I know, I know, us filthy retail and service workers deserve to die on the streets like the uneducated pig dogs we are).

So, I don’t know if you or your wife are prone to any chronic illnesses or whatever, but that would certainly factor largely into my choice!

And as a side note, congratulations!!

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I know that I, personally, would go for whichever one has the best benefits.

I am a very sickly person, and work in an industry that generally doesn’t provide much help in that regard. (I know, I know, us filthy retail and service workers deserve to die on the streets like the uneducated pig dogs we are).

So, I don’t know if you or your wife are prone to any chronic illnesses or whatever, but that would certainly factor largely into my choice!

And as a side note, congratulations!!
    Thanks Meg. I technically do not have a decision to make yet, (no official offers) but I think they are coming tomorrow.

Benefits remain the same across all three- It's mostly a decision on salary, career aspirations, (management, business, engineering) and content (Quality, Procurement, R&D).

I'd also wonder on their leadership and long-range plan.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

- - - - -
    Congrats, Duke! That's a great problem to have.