Page 1783 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 783128316831733177317811782178317841785179318331883 ... LastLast
Results 44,551 to 44,575 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

By the way, here's a lovely blog post by Joe Posnanski about taking her 14-year-old daughter to see Hamilton.

Elizabeth is one of several million people — so many of them teenagers — who have become obsessed with the Broadway show “Hamilton.” It is funny, if you think about it. Kids all over America are smitten by a show about a previously minor Founding Father who probably would have gotten chucked off the $10 bill had it not been for the genius of Lin-Manuel Miranda.

When I was Elizabeth’s age, we all wore Rush and Black Sabbath T-shirts and sang about how Mommy’s alright and Daddy’s alright, they just seem a little weird.

These kids are singing about Alexander Hamilton’s argument with Thomas Jefferson over a plan to establish a national bank and assume state debt.

All of Elizabeth’s friends seem to be into Hamilton. One of them will periodically and for no obvious reason break into “You’ll Be Back,” a song where King George tells the colonies they will eventually return to England’s rule (‘’Cuz when push comes to shove/I will kill your friends and family to remind you of my love.”). Another somehow got to see the show back before it became a national phenomenon and this has turned her into something of a superhero.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Hell Amber - I'D shiv someone for a ticket.

Took Jen out to lunch at a really nice restaurant and I ate so much I'm in pain.

It was amazing, and tragic.

I'm going to go judge myself now.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Took Jen out to lunch at a really nice restaurant and I ate so much I'm in pain.

It was amazing, and tragic.

I'm going to go judge myself now.
    REGRET NOTHING, AND TAKE A NAP.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Solid advice!

We bought some booze, and we're going to watch bad horror movies!

Not a bad last day of vacation, but darn they go by too fast to be fair.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Wow... the cast of Hamilton performed "Yorktown" live at the Tony Awards, and as it's after 4AM here, I didn't notice at first, but... they weren't holding any guns. No guns on stage at all.

Awesome gesture.

Well, last night was the first time I teared up watching a Tony acceptance speech...

I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I thought I would just tune in to the Tonys for a few minutes and ended up watching all three hours. I found the balance between grief and celebration to be soothing.

I teared up during Frank Langella's speech, too.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Out of the three Best Musical nominees based on films, you'd think School of Rock would be the most suited for a musical adaptation, but it has turned out to be the least appealing one to me.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Out of the three Best Musical nominees based on films, you'd think School of Rock would be the most suited for a musical adaptation, but it has turned out to be the least appealing one to me.
    I could muster zero enthusiasm for "Get On Your Feet." But "Waitress" looked better than it had any right to be (I really like the film but couldn't picture an adaptation.) And I've heard raves for "The Color Purple" and "Shuffle Along."

And can we point out how much more inclusive theater is than film? Beyond the fact that the top four musical acting awards went to people of color (3 from Hamilton, what up) it was obvious while watching that there were parts that celebrated people of every body shape, age, race, ability, and ethnicity. Jane Krakowski, at 47, gave a live performance so sexy that I was freaking out. Audra Freaking McDonald, six months pregnant, was tap dancing and belting her heart out. The kids in Spring Awakening! EVERYONE!
    ...and the milk's in me.

That was the point Corden made in the opening, I think, and the nominees certainly supported his statement. Glen Weldon wrote this nice thing on NPR:

Yesterday was a day of horror and grief and mourning, and you'd think the last thing on the nation's mind on such a terrible day would be "Let's tune into CBS to see people in suits and nice dresses congratulate one another for three hours."

You'd think. But the Tonys are different.

The Oscars are about individual achievement, the exaltation of self, the sanctimonious deification of "dreams spun of shadow and light." The Emmys are about people thanking their managers and network executives. The Grammys are about glamour, or at least glitz. The Golden Globes are about seeing which celebrities can hold their booze.

But the Tonys are, and have always been, about community: a small, fiercely determined and hopelessly devoted cohort of show people and those who love them, a safe haven for anyone who has ever felt like an outsider.
    Movie Theater Diary

Mara, have you seen this? http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...and_other.html

Daveed Diggs as Hobbes just made my day.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    Daveed Diggs as Hobbes just made my day.
    I take it you haven't seen these two nerds' YouTube series where they acted out C&H strips?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx68TPu4dCk
    ...and the milk's in me.

BroadwayHD, which has been quietly establishing itself with pay-per-stream videos of Broadway shows, is doing a live show of She Loves Me on June 30th for $10.

IMMA WATCH IT

It looked charming at the Tony's and I encourage this business model. Show us all the shows, please.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I was just thinking it would be nice if there were more Broadway plays on video. It looks like BroadwayHD has a pretty limited library, but it's a start.

It's very limited. I've looked into it before and it didn't seem worth it. Most of their library are old performances that have been available on video or other streaming services for years.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Show us all the shows, please.
    They are recording Miranda's last performance on "Hamilton".

Probably won't see the light of day for DECADES.

I am so conflicted. As a native Ohioan, I feel that Sunday could break the lamentable streak of Cleveland sports losing on the biggest stage. At the same time, we've gone without cable since moving to Georgia, and so I've missed all of the NBA finals so far. And so I worry that if we drive to a bar to watch game 7 that Golden State will simply blow out Cleveland in the first quarter. But to actually get a chance to watch LeBron and company deliver a championship... I waded through 13 years of sad-to-manageable Cavaliers teams and this could be deliverance for that run.

Do I go and watch inevitable sadness live on Sunday, people, or wait it out and periodically check ESPN for updates...? Skitch, what's your plan?
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    It's very limited. I've looked into it before and it didn't seem worth it. Most of their library are old performances that have been available on video or other streaming services for years.
    It wasn't worth it before, but I'm a big fan of this new endeavor. I hope it's successful and that we get more live performances.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    They are recording Miranda's last performance on "Hamilton".

Probably won't see the light of day for DECADES.
    I read those remarks and I think what they meant was that we won't get a Hamilton film for decades. The taped live performance would certainly be available somehow within the next year or so, for purchase.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    I am so conflicted. As a native Ohioan, I feel that Sunday could break the lamentable streak of Cleveland sports losing on the biggest stage. At the same time, we've gone without cable since moving to Georgia, and so I've missed all of the NBA finals so far. And so I worry that if we drive to a bar to watch game 7 that Golden State will simply blow out Cleveland in the first quarter. But to actually get a chance to watch LeBron and company deliver a championship... I waded through 13 years of sad-to-manageable Cavaliers teams and this could be deliverance for that run.

Do I go and watch inevitable sadness live on Sunday, people, or wait it out and periodically check ESPN for updates...? Skitch, what's your plan?
    As a diehard MN Vikings fan, you get your asses to the bar, and you watch that game.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    I'll be sitting in my office watching the gamecast while watching a movie. I'm not a basketball fan, but I follow the playoffs if Cleveland is in. I feel very confident about Sunday. I feel like once the Warriors went up 3-1 they started coasting. In the last two games LBJ broke them physically and mentally. They are really broken. Throw into it the off court stuff with wives tweeting and such, the Warriors are a mess. I'm not saying it will be easy on Sunday, no championship is easy. But considering the comeback from 3-1...I still won't feel bad if they lose. It will be a bummer, but I will NOT be having a meltdown.

I cannot tolerate national sports media. We are in the news every week, just so they can mock us and remind us we haven't won anything. Its infuriating.

Edit: Now if it were the Browns in the Superbowl...different story.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    I'll be sitting in my office watching the gamecast while watching a movie. I'm not a basketball fan, but I follow the playoffs if Cleveland is in. I feel very confident about Sunday. I feel like once the Warriors went up 3-1 they started coasting. In the last two games LBJ broke them physically and mentally. They are really broken. Throw into it the off court stuff with wives tweeting and such, the Warriors are a mess. I'm not saying it will be easy on Sunday, no championship is easy. But considering the comeback from 3-1...I still won't feel bad if they lose. It will be a bummer, but I will NOT be having a meltdown.

I cannot tolerate national sports media. We are in the news every week, just so they can mock us and remind us we haven't won anything. Its infuriating.

Edit: Now if it were the Browns in the Superbowl...different story.
    The last thing I want is for the legacy of the team I grew up watching (the 1996-97 Bulls) to be forgotten about thanks to the Warriors.

Despite the Cavs being our rivals, I'll be rooting for them on Sunday.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    The last thing I want is for the legacy of the team I grew up watching (the 1996-97 Bulls) to be forgotten about thanks to the Warriors.

Despite the Cavs being our rivals, I'll be rooting for them on Sunday.
    I firmly believe Warriors will be in the history books...for most wins in regular season with no championship. I can't wait to watch the 30 for 30 on this season. Vegas had Cavs at 25% to win this series when it began, and here we are. Honestly if Warriors win it will be a boring story.
    Last edited by Skitch; 06-17-2016 at 06:43 PM.