Page 1767 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 767126716671717175717651766176717681769177718171867 ... LastLast
Results 44,151 to 44,175 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Also here's a gif of penetrative sex viewed through an ultrasound that I was looking at this morning.

[]
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I don't like to think my stupidity has peaked. I like to think I get stupider with every dumb year on this stupid planet.

Anyway I'm off for a month in Indonesia.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I feel like I was much dumber as an infant than I was as a college student.

BTW of all the causes of which to take up arms for, students maybe overreacting about things at universities you don't go to strikes me as an odd choice

Oh, and if any of you think safe spaces leave you too soft and unprepared to life, I have two other college words: cinema major.

My cause is not so much 'college students complaining' as it is 'gross irrationality' in all forms. This covers racism, political deceit, organized religion, anti-intellectualism, assaults on free speech, gun fetishism and the majority of Twitter-based dialogue.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Oh, and if any of you think safe spaces leave you too soft and unprepared to life, I have two other college words: cinema major.
    Yeah, these naive kids think they can just graduate and immediately get hired as an unpaid blogger at FilmSchoolRejects.com. You gotta pay your dues first!
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Yeah, these naive kids think they can just graduate and immediately get hired as an unpaid blogger at FilmSchoolRejects.com. You gotta pay your dues first!
    Back in my day we had to work two, maybe three years before Buzzfeed offered to pay us in exposure.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    Ha. Cinema Major actually taught me to be a pretty good manager in my opinion. You had to manage a production with zero budget, and somehow motivate people to work well for you, with only coffee and MAYBE a slice of pizza if my bank account was strong enough that week. Managing 10-20 people in this case was great practice for the future, because these workers could literally not show up for you, and there wouldn't be any repercussions.

I'm being pretty sincere here. This combined with my fire department experience really helped me out.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Ha. Cinema Major actually taught me to be a pretty good manager in my opinion. You had to manage a production with zero budget, and somehow motivate people to work well for you, with only coffee and MAYBE a slice of pizza if my bank account was strong enough that week. Managing 10-20 people in this case was great practice for the future, because these workers could literally not show up for you, and there wouldn't be any repercussions.

I'm being pretty sincere here. This combined with my fire department experience really helped me out.
    Nice! My cinema major ended up comprising mostly of film analysis versus production (I figure it was a 2/1 ratio), so I was ill-prepared for... most things. Not that I blame anyone but myself, of course.

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    My cause is not so much 'college students complaining' as it is 'gross irrationality' in all forms. This covers racism, political deceit, organized religion, anti-intellectualism, assaults on free speech, gun fetishism and the majority of Twitter-based dialogue.

Exactly! The college students here are just the latest example of this trend.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Feelings. #nofeelings

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    My cause is not so much 'college students complaining' as it is 'gross irrationality' in all forms.
    C'mon, really? "Gross irrationality" is an apt description of the human race. This will never change. Your post reads like you're tilting at windmills with the pretense of human intelligence behind it.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Exactly! The college students here are just the latest example of this trend.
    College students have always been like this. The internet just makes it easier to notice.
    Last edited by Irish; 12-21-2015 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Your post reads like you're tilting at windmills with the pretense of human intelligence behind it.
    Yeah, that's probably pretty accurate.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

I'm on a college campus where nobody seems concerned about any of these things. Also, it's possible for something to be published in Oberlin's newspaper that 99 percent of the student body disagrees with. I say this as someone who edits a student newspaper.

I fully believe that society today would be at a much worse place if students don't complain about everything so much. I salute them for continuing to do so despite being called names by the people who benefit from their accomplishments.
    Movie Theater Diary

“What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

- - - - -
    Goddamit, Scar. Now I want to see Demolition Man again.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Goddamit, Scar. Now I want to see Demolition Man again.
    My work here is done.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I fully believe that society today would be at a much worse place if students don't complain about everything so much. I salute them for continuing to do so despite being called names by the people who benefit from their accomplishments.
    I'd argue that a student has never accomplished anything in their short little lives. Except for maybe Zuckerberg. And Sean Parker.

Going to a big college (20,000 students), everyday there would be a new protest about something no one cared about. Didn't make an impact whether they existed or not. Look at the Occupy movement. What did that accomplish? Big fat zero and that was about the biggest movement I'd ever seen.
    Last edited by Dukefrukem; 12-22-2015 at 01:43 PM.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

We had this conversation before and I don't wish to revisit it, but you know I disagree and think that Occupy's impact is everywhere. For one thing, one current major Presidential candidate's entire campaign is based on Occupy's rhetoric and has basically absorbed people who were sympathetic to Occupy into his base.

But to the other point, to say college protests accomplish nothing is to ignore American history in the 20th century.
    Movie Theater Diary

College protests in the 20th century accomplished tons, yes.

And there are some good causes and protests on now of course.

But the media likes to shine the spotlight on the silly shit like yoga classes being a case of cultural appropriation, and inauthentic Chinese food being a form of racism.

And I get suckered in every time.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I believe you're identifying the problem, which is a combination of what Irish said and what I said before. When your race or your gender or your sexual orientation is a sticking point in every interaction you have and the status quo is in the habit of dismissing there's even an issue with those interactions, you are going to overcompensate when you start fighting back, until you figure out where to reel it in. This is how political correctness has always been done throughout history. It's a constant negotiation process through cultures clashing over a variety of issues and seeing where is the compromise that people are comfortable with applying. That process hasn't changed, it always plays out the way protests play out. Dialogue starts, a compromise is reached, new lexicons get adopted into mainstream use, and the ideologies evolve enough for there to be a next (hopefully even more important) fight.

What has changed is exactly what Irish said, in that the internet has amplified the reach of protests, including those that don't deserve to be amplified, which in turn fish out more people to weigh in that probably in all honesty shouldn't weigh in if they haven't been familiarized with the climate of what things are like for minorities in the places those protests take place. It's not like things like feminism and civil rights and anti-cultural appropriation movements pop out of a vacuum. There's a looong lead-in of tiny slights like a dumb sauce or a Halloween costume that compounds into or supports the more significant and agreeable forms of marginalization (again, as someone who's been posting with you lot for over a decade, I can easily point to certain posters here who would react a certain way when prompted a certain way not because the jab is especially cutting but because it touches a sore spot). Or as Nick Fury put it...
    Movie Theater Diary

Also here's a gif of penetrative sex viewed through an ultrasound that I was looking at this morning.

[]
    Also what's with the lack of reaction to this.
    Movie Theater Diary

Also what's with the lack of reaction to this.