Page 1756 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 756125616561706174617541755175617571758176618061856 ... LastLast
Results 43,876 to 43,900 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

No. Government jobs are nigh impossible to get now.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    What has me worried is that you're a good guy with a sharp head on your shoulders, and I wish more options were available to you, because I wouldn't want anybody serving in the military who didn't consider it the most honorable of all possible vocations - because I've heard about all the profoundly shitty lifelong consequences. The poor treatment of veterans, how PTSD lingers, mostly how once you sign up, you will be viewed as an "asset" and not a human being by people I simply do not trust.

I have two diplomas in areas that aren't hiring, and 95% of my work experience is in retail - which I am very tired of.

I'm looking for a new challenge, and the field I am interested in - avionics - sounds very, well, interesting.

I'm not going into infantry if I do this. My job would basically consist of working in a hangar calibrating and maintaining aircraft equipment.

Does Canada not have trade schools where you can go and learn mechanic skills while working?

Not near me, and I don't have a job with good enough pay to be able to save up for the move to go to one of these schools.

In my current job I will never make enough money to support Jen and I.

In the states we have trade schools that you get paid to go to while you learn. They offer on the job apprenticeships.

Most are 2-4 years. During your first year you earn 1/4 of what a licensed journeyman would make, and throughout your schooling/apprenticeship you get steady raises so that when you graduate you are a licensed journeyman and have a job through the unions that participate.

What are your main expenses living at home that would prevent you from saving to move?

Sounds like a move to a more happening area with better jobs would be a good investment.

You can't move to a better area when you don't have the money to do that, nor the experience or education to get a job better than what you have.

People who have great jobs really have no idea how lucky they are. It drives me nuts.

I'd make sure you're aware of all the different trainings and classes you'll have to go through with in the military to get to the position you want.

I'm not knowledgeable about the Canadian military, but my brother went through Basic Training, and a year of Intel Training to get to the Intel Position he's in now, and he still has to follow PT requirements, and do some patrol with his job. He's wanted to do this since college, and lives in Hawaii, so he's very happy with where he's at. He's picked this path since high school, even disagreeing with college counselors on the path they recommended, because he did his own research.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I've spent the last few days reading the website and speaking with 3 of my good friends who are all in the military.

One in particular is a girl who worked at Lowe's with me up until this past March. She went to Basic Training (13 weeks) and is already working in her field while continuing to be educated.

She is making more than I make now (I'm a manager who had been with the company for 4 years) and her housing is paid for.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I've spent the last few days reading the website and speaking with 3 of my good friends who are all in the military.

One in particular is a girl who worked at Lowe's with me up until this past March. She went to Basic Training (13 weeks) and is already working in her field while continuing to be educated.

She is making more than I make now (I'm a manager who had been with the company for 4 years) and her housing is paid for.
    It certainly is a benefit. I think my brother may pay for some of the housing, not completely sure, but if he had a family, they'd be able to live there as well.

On Hawaii.

And he gets tons of vacation time.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I was making squat in Fresno, Ca., a total dead end town unless you can start your own business. I've never had the desire to own my own business, so I knew I had to get out.

I had a useless Liberal Arts degree as well.

I saved up enough money while working at Tower Records (making a couple dollars over minimum wage), sold a bunch of CDs and an old clunker car, in order to move to Seattle.

Got here, worked at Trader Joes for a few months (that's another great place to work - good pay and benefits. There or Wholefoods. Have those in Canada? Wholefoods is a fantastic place to work), and then got a job in the mail room at a law firm. 11 years later I'm still here as a paralegal, making OK money (NOT brogrammer money).

That wouldn't be possible staying in Fresno.

I got this job through a temp agency I found in the classified ads.

It's all about getting to where the OK jobs are, or starting your own business where you're at.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    It certainly is a benefit. I think my brother may pay for some of the housing, not completely sure, but if he had a family, they'd be able to live there as well.

On Hawaii.

And he gets tons of vacation time.
    But, he's in the military.

Without notice, he could be sent somewhere to die because a bunch of old white dudes said.

That's a big trade off.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    But, he's in the military.

Without notice, he could be sent somewhere to die because a bunch of old white dudes said.

That's a big trade off.
    In his position, he'd be doing a different job when others are sent off.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

My brother is a Lt. Colonel computer nerd in the Air Force. Granted, he went to the Air Force Academy, not regular enlistment. Four years of school, and graduate as a 2nd Lieutenant. Then they sent him to AFIT for his Master's.

My Dad enlisted in the very early 60's in the Navy since the family business tanked and his folks weren't able to send him to college like they promised. Four tours shelling the shit out of Vietnam, and he got into computers. Back then, to be a computer tech, you had to be a beast to be able to move the servers around. He leveraged his military experience into working for a defence contractor, teaching Marines, and many people with a much higher education than him.

Timing is everything. My Dad got into computers in their infancy, and my older brother got into Operations Research (military simulations, etc), in its infancy.

My point? Shit, I don't know if I have one. Do your research, get into a non-grunt program if you go military.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

We're leaving for Norway in 19 hours. Packing for a chilly autumn weather while constantly sweating in tropical heat is the weirdest thing...

This morning, while throwing away an empty bag of coffee, I noticed that I accidentally bought decaf.

Then I looked at the new bag we had been using - it, too, was decaf.

For the last 2 weeks, we've been drinking decaf coffee in the morning, and we didn't even realize it until this morning. Never felt different, not more tired, no withdrawal headaches or anything.

So I guess we're going to stick with decaf from now on.

Made it to Glasgow! This is a good place to detox, right?

This morning, while throwing away an empty bag of coffee, I noticed that I accidentally bought decaf.

Then I looked at the new bag we had been using - it, too, was decaf.

For the last 2 weeks, we've been drinking decaf coffee in the morning, and we didn't even realize it until this morning. Never felt different, not more tired, no withdrawal headaches or anything.

So I guess we're going to stick with decaf from now on.
    What the hell is this country coming to?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Eating at a brewery called The Angry Minnow in Hayward, WI. Their Belgian Blonde is delicious, and I'll probably buy a tshirt.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    I just put an offer in on lakefront property. They responded with just closing cost adjustments. Looks like this is going to happen. Time to cut down those trees.

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Party at Duke's!

Congrats!
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Offer accepted!

Just need the home inspection to come through.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

The Maryland Batman was killed in a collision when his Batmobile broke down in the fast lane.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/08/17/li...eat/index.html

This sucks.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Gah. I'm looking through my Norway photos, and zooming in on details (I LOVE my new camera/lens)... and I notice posters for a Kero Kero Bonito show on that same day, which I completely missed.

Taking next Thursday off to go sailing again, and then in two weeks we're planning a weekend sailing trip.

I am fully in love with sailing. Going to take classes next summer to get certified so I can charter a boat myself.