Page 1445 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 445945134513951435144314441445144614471455149515451945 ... LastLast
Results 36,101 to 36,125 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    That's because they are very shocking rules.
    Your threshold for shock is apparently as large as Mara's tolerance for booze-breath.

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    Fucking seniors. How do they work?
    Untenably, apparently.

Old employees who can't hack it anymore but aren't old enough to retire - what do you do?
    Can you try putting him on a performance improvement plan?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Can you try putting him on a performance improvement plan?
    You mean send him to outside classes, offer incentives, or what do you mean by that?
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

You mean send him to outside classes, offer incentives, or what do you mean by that?
    I thought he was talking in code, like "send them out to the farm" kind of code.

But perhaps not.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

A PIP is HR code for "if you don't get better at doing these x-number of things, we'll have to let you go."

It's an easy way to set goals/standards for a job, while measuring the performance of the employee in order to keep detailed records on his or her ability to perform the job up to those standards. This way if you have to let him or her go, you can records showing that it was because of job performance and not because of something like age (even though it kind of is).

At my office we call it "probation period."
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    A PIP is HR code for "if you don't get better at doing these x-number of things, we'll have to let you go."

It's an easy way to set goals/standards for a job, while measuring the performance of the employee in order to keep detailed records on his or her ability to perform the job up to those standards. This way if you have to let him or her go, you can records showing that it was because of job performance and not because of something like age (even though it kind of is).
    Yes, I already started making a list of his notably poor performances of late, so I have ammunition in case it's needed.

Thanks for the info. I don't know if age is the reason, or just loss of interest. I'm considering a buyout plan, maybe two years salary paid over 4 years, or something like that. He's eligible for Medicare so healthy care benefits don't factor in. I'm not the final decision-maker but my recommendation matters.

Regardless of what you choose to do, I think it's important to let him in on the process and keep communication open with him.

Nothing could be worse than deciding to let him go without even talking to him about the issues. Perhaps he isn't even aware of problems and just needs some coaching.

I wouldn't be too happy if I was canned due to an easily fixed issue without any chance to improve.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Regardless of what you choose to do, I think it's important to let him in on the process and keep communication open with him.

Nothing could be worse than deciding to let him go without even talking to him about the issues. Perhaps he isn't even aware of problems and just needs some coaching.

I wouldn't be too happy if I was canned due to an easily fixed issue without any chance to improve.
    He is aware that we are unhappy with his work, though no ultimatum has been discussed. Trying to avoid that if possible but looks like it's inevitable.

He is aware that we are unhappy with his work, though no ultimatum has been discussed. Trying to avoid that if possible but looks like it's inevitable.
    What isn't he doing well?
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    What isn't he doing well?
    Not prioritizing. Taking too much time to do important things. Procrastinating. Not responding to customers. Not communicating to fellow employees about things that are team-oriented. Making lots of mistakes and showing no urgency about correcting them. Things like this.

Not prioritizing. Taking too much time to do important things. Procrastinating. Not responding to customers. Not communicating to fellow employees about things that are team-oriented. Making lots of mistakes and showing no urgency about correcting them. Things like this.
    He should work at a record store.

He should work at a record store.
    He lacks the condescending attitude.

Does he have some personal stuff he's dealing with, like an ailing family member, or health issues? Would a leave of absence for him to sort that stuff out be an option?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

He lacks the condescending attitude.
    Bummer! He was almost perfect.

Moments ago, a customer asked me why his order hadn't shipped. I had told the customer on Monday it would ship either Tuesday or Wed, based on what my employee, the one I've been talking about, told me. I asked this employee about it and he said that he still wasn't sure what size the covers needed to be. And yet he told me that it would ship, so now I look like a liar or a fool in the customer's eyes.

This is the type of thing that's driving me up a wall.

This is the type of thing that's driving me up a wall.
    One of my number one blind-rage triggers is co-workers who make me look like I do a bad job.
    ...and the milk's in me.

It's all in the caffeine EvilShoe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    One of my number one blind-rage triggers is co-workers who make me look like I do a bad job.
    That, and managers who either treat you like some kind of utility by talking about you as if you're not in the room, or address you as if you were a child.
    Last movies seen
    Frank: Good
    Mistaken for Strangers: Good
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Good

Last TV seasons watched

Treme (S04): Good
    The Legend of Korra (S03): Good

Currently reading
    This Side of Paradise - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Everyone seems very shocked by these rules. See why I tend to stay within the faith for roommates?
    I don't think the no boys staying over is a very shocking rule. It seems like a good rule no matter what your religion.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Came across this menu at a restaurant I had dinner in last night. Had to order it.

Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Best description of a wine ever?
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'm not sure I'm a very good driver, at least at night. I managed to blow a tire just by clipping the curb, on the same wheel that I blew another tire on while traveling this summer. I feel like I could puncture a tire just by looking at it and I am afraid of my own powers.

Quote Quoting Neclord (view post)
    I'm not sure I'm a very good driver, at least at night. I managed to blow a tire just by clipping the curb, on the same wheel that I blew another tire on while traveling this summer. I feel like I could puncture a tire just by looking at it and I am afraid of my own powers.
    When was the last time you had checked your tire pressure? Over-inflated tires are much easier to blow out.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I am hating the new iTunes.