Page 1355 of 1996 FirstFirst ... 355855125513051345135313541355135613571365140514551855 ... LastLast
Results 33,851 to 33,875 of 49884

Thread: Random Thoughts

- - - - -
    Strangely compelling story about professional athletes and pooping:

http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=5651802&type=story

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Strangely compelling story about professional athletes and pooping:

http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=5651802&type=story
    Very compelling.

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Don't believe I went through Alphabet City in my NY trip.
    You skirted it (Ave A is just one avenue away from 1st Ave), but we didn't walk through it. It pretty much looks similar to the adjacent East Village neighborhood except for a bit more trees and a "smaller" feeling. It's been similarly overrun by frat-ish types mixed with wealthy creative types over the past 15 years.

I walk on Ave C occasionally--maybe I'll stop in the bar next time I pass it. So, Qrazy, your name is Josh and Zach is the owner? Good to know--I find it helpful to get to know bartenders/owners (or at least their name).
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

Quote Quoting NickGlass (view post)
    I walk on Ave C occasionally--maybe I'll stop in the bar next time I pass it. So, Qrazy, your name is Josh and Zach is the owner? Good to know--I find it helpful to get to know bartenders/owners (or at least their name).
    Yes, I believe he is the co-owner though.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

two days into my first class and i'm feeling like going to college at this point in my life was the right decision, even if this english 101 course seems like it's going to be a cakewalk.

A bit weird to see my name in print on an actual commercial magazine. But hey! Pretty cool. Good thing they sent me a comp copy, 'cause I don't know if I would've bought a $10 magazine.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Wow.

[youtube]_LluAz4gqZE[/youtube]
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I was swimming laps at the pool in the park when the Blue Angels went screaming overhead. I hadn't really checked their schedule, since there is no way I'm fighting the crowds to try and get down to Fort McHenry for the bicentennial stuff for the war of 1812. Plus, I didn't think I'd be that interested.

I was wrong. I switched to sidestroke and breast stroke and watched the whole show, while refreshed and comfortable in a swimming pool. It was really, really cool to watch, and everyone at the pool was riveted. (Even the lifeguards. Which probably wasn't ideal. But it was so awesome!)

Anyway, totally unexpected but really pleasant experience.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    A bit weird to see my name in print on an actual commercial magazine. But hey! Pretty cool. Good thing they sent me a comp copy, 'cause I don't know if I would've bought a $10 magazine.
    Which one? I know how you feel, the magazine I've been contributing to for a year or so just put out their first print issue this month. Just got my copy yesterday.

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    MadMan banned???

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    MadMan banned???

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Three day time out.

http://match-cut.org/showthread.php?p=426513
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Which one? I know how you feel, the magazine I've been contributing to for a year or so just put out their first print issue this month. Just got my copy yesterday.
    https://twitter.com/filthysize/statu...08258249146368
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

With that title its clearly a masterpiece. Fuck yeah, sir.

*breathes a huge sigh of relief*

So that accident I had a few months back? Where my car was total'd, and I was charged with careless driving?

It's been an insanely stressful few months, everything has crescendo'd over the last week and a bit, and it's all been fantastic news.

First off, I hired a company called Pointts to fight the charge for me. They're a company consisting of a few ex police officers/mounties who try to help people who are unfairly charged with traffic violations. In my case, absolutely no investigation was made by the officers at the scene - they asked me if I had been drinking (my answer was "no", of course), and then just handed me my careless driving citation and were on their way.

Plus, there was the fact that the vehicle I hit had no working brake or signal lights. I didn't even see it stopping until all of a sudden it was like 8 feet in front of me.

Well, my agent in Pointts called me last week to let me know that with the fact that the officer hadn't even taken any notes (and clearly hadn't gotten my side of the story at the scene), there really wasn't any case.

So the charge was completely dropped. No fines, no demerit points, nothing on my record. Like it never even happened.

Then today I passed my final driving test, which gave me a full G license, with no restrictions.

I also received an e-mail from my insurance provider today stating that because I was found not at fault in the accident, AND I recently turned 25 (the magic number for insurance drops), AND I got married, AND I got my G license, my insurance has actually gone DOWN substantially since before the accident.

It's pretty much impossible for any of this to have gone any better. What a freaking stressful, terrifying couple of months that was. But it all worked out.

*breathes another huge sigh of relief*
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Whoooooo!

“What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

- - - - -
    Nice!!!!!!

meg that is awesome news.

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    MadMan banned???

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Thank you for not posting the Darth Vader "NOOOOO" gif :lol:
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Welcome back.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I've been deliberately avoiding discussing work troubles lately online, because I'm so unsure what's going to happen. So it's difficult to vent a frustration without context, but suffice to say that I'm in a very bad position because of administrative upheavals, and the last two and a half weeks I've been running my department while my boss is out. And by running, I mean running it: for the first time ever, I've been given the opportunity to do as I like without much oversight. On the one hand, it's awesome. I love being in charge. On the other multiple hands, it's been difficult because of... reasons... I have to do a really great job right now to prove to the higher-ups that I deserve a spot in the company once the administrative upheavals have settled. It's also frustrating that I am doing two jobs, and doing them well, and then I have to give that up next week when my boss returns and go back to less authority, and possibly not having a job if things continue badly. It's also a little annoying that at the moment I genuinely feel that I can do my boss' job better than she can, and am still not getting half her salary.

Sorry, context ended up taking longer than I thought. Anyway.

So, my anger this morning is because I am really, really trying to get the department in fantastic shape before my boss returns to make me look as good as possible. I have had work on my desk for two weeks while our CFO was out on vacation that I could not move on because I needed his approval. He finally came back yesterday and signed off on it, and said it needed to be done immediately but I had to coordinate with another director. I e-mailed her urgently asking for 10 minutes of her time, and got a response this morning that... of course, she's left for vacation until mid-next week, and now I'm stuck with a project I can't complete. THIS is what makes me crazy. When I'm in control, I can get things done, but when I do my best and I'm stymied by other people, I want to scream.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Uh... Well, I wanted a mushroom omelette this morning but we were out of mushrooms so I had to eat regular omelette for breakfast?
    Movie Theater Diary

And I'm at jury duty.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

vacations are what happen in the summer months, just as things get crazy busy at the end of the fiscal year. good business people realize this and make the necessary adjustments and set expectations accordingly. it's kind of a fact of business.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    vacations are what happen in the summer months, just as things get crazy busy at the end of the fiscal year. good business people realize this and make the necessary adjustments and set expectations accordingly. it's kind of a fact of business.
    Worse yet, we have use-it-or-lose-it time off that expires at the end of the fiscal year, so nobody ever works in June. It's just bad luck that it overlaps with me worrying about my job and trying to make an impression.
    ...and the milk's in me.