Page 11 of 71 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread O' Beer!

I remember people here mentioning an interest in getting into homebrew - well, there's a groupon offer today that will get you a homebrew starter kit that contains almost everything you need to brew a five gallon batch of beer. All you would need to provide would be a burner to boil the wort and bottles.

There's even a starter recipe kit included which contains the malt extract, hops, yeast and recipe for your first batch of beer. Total cost, $42 bucks. That's insanely cheap.

[youtube]3oq0sOPY_DI[/youtube]

learn more
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Today's drink of choice:

Almost picked it up, but I'm generally not a fan of Bocks.

How was it?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Actually, just realized that is the wrong picture. It was the Barley Wine that I got, and it was delicious.

NICE.

Sierra Nevada makes one of the very few Barley Wines that I actually like.

As for me, I'm celebrating Black Friday the way I have for the past several years. The only store I'll be hitting today is the Liquor Store, to pick up one of my favorite favorite brews:

Our Special Ale 2010 (Anchor Christmas Ale)
    Style: Winter Warmer Ale
    Brewery: Anchor Brewing Company, San Francisco, CA

I first discovered this beer in 2002 when, after a long and grueling drive home through a snowstorm one friday after work, I trudged back out to the liquor store on the next block and chatted with the guy running the place as had become my friday ritual. He introduced me to this beer, and it was love at first sip. Saturday I trudged back through the snow and got two more, and Anchor's Christmas beer has been as much a part of the Christmas experience as decorating the tree ever since.

Anchor Christmas Ale is a Winter Warmer ale, essentially a brown ale into which are imparted various spices. There really are no rules to it beyond that, so Winter Warmer as a title won't tell you a whole lot about what to expect flavor and body-wise as much as say an IPA would, because breweries are always tweaking their recipes, and Anchor in particular changes the recipe of their Christmas beer every year. What doesn't change, tho, is the fact that year in, year out, the beer is awesome.

Appearance: In a word, dark as pitch. Even holding it up to the light reveals only the slightest nod of burgundy. A nice frothy head leaves laces up the side of the glass as it pours.

Smell: Cinnamon & Ginger are at the forefront, but some sweetness & nutmeg tickle the nosehairs as well.

Taste: Tastes like a comfortable chair in a warm and cozy house when it's snowing outside and you don't have to be anywhere. The Cinnamon you smelled was no illusion - it's at the forefront with that ginger right behind it, accompanied by the hints of chocolate and coffee you would expect from a dark ale. There's a sorta smoothness that shows up just before the finish that I'm trying to put a finger on. Maybe vanilla? Who knows. Finishes on a slightly hoppy and sour note. A complex beer great for those occasions when you're not in any hurry to be anywhere and sippin' is about the right speed, to be sure.

Mouthfeel: Pretty good body to this bad-boy, I would put it on par with a porter.

Drinkability: This is a sippin' beer. If it's taking any less than a half hour to get through a pint, you're drinking this way too fast. The body coupled with the complexity forces this to be drank real slow-like.

Preferred Serving Type: Served cold in a wide lipped pint glass, in a comfortable chair with loved-ones close by, preferably with glasses of their own to enjoy.

In short, Anchor's Christmas Ale will always hold a special place in my heart. So many great Christmas memories have been made with a pint of this in my hand that I can't begin to list them all. This is right at the top of the list of my very favorite beers, and perhaps no beer is as inseparable from a particular time of year as is this one.

So, this Friday I'm going to try my hand at making an Imperial IPA, something along the lines of Russian River's Pliney the Elder, for those of you familiar with that one.

Most IPAs have ABVs (alcohol by volume) around 5.5%. This one is going to be between 8 and 9 thanks to some corn sugar I'll be adding during the mash (steeping of the grains) and doing a yeast starter so there's more yeast to pitch.

In addition, whereas most IPAs have maybe three hop additions during the boil, this bad-boy has no less that 8, and some of the hops I'll be using (Simcoe and Warrior) have some super-high intensities to them.

Should be interesting!

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    So, this Friday I'm going to try my hand at making an Imperial IPA, something along the lines of Russian River's Pliney the Elder, for those of you familiar with that one.

Most IPAs have ABVs (alcohol by volume) around 5.5%. This one is going to be between 8 and 9 thanks to some corn sugar I'll be adding during the mash (steeping of the grains) and doing a yeast starter so there's more yeast to pitch.

In addition, whereas most IPAs have maybe three hop additions during the boil, this bad-boy has no less that 8, and some of the hops I'll be using (Simcoe and Warrior) have some super-high intensities to them.

Should be interesting!
    Is it done, yet?
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    New Belgium's Mothership Wit may not be the greatest beer I have ever had, but it may very well be the most drinkable. Literally, I feel so much happier for having drank it, and that's not the alcohol talking.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Is it done, yet?
    It's in secondary fermentation - wanna keep it in there another week to make sure all the dry hops are properly absorbed. Then it's to bottles. Should be ready for consumption the week after Easter.

Gonna brew an agave wheat tomorrow.

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    New Belgium's Mothership Wit may not be the greatest beer I have ever had, but it may very well be the most drinkable. Literally, I feel so much happier for having drank it, and that's not the alcohol talking.
    Had that for the first time at the Great American Beer Festival last year. Fantastic brew. Every time I drink it, it takes me back. Man, that was a blast.

Saw the first bottles of Oberon in the store today. That means warm weather is on the way! SQUEEEE~!

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)

It's excellent. Truly a delicious brew.

And so is this!

So the spring/summer brews are starting to appear. What's on everyone's menu?

I've actually discovered an IPA that I love. It's a local, the Three Skulls Spring IPA. It's very good. Not overly hoppy, and it has a great taste with a nice bite, and hints of citrus. Nothing about it is too powerful - just a nice, eloquent blend.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    So the spring/summer brews are starting to appear. What's on everyone's menu?
    I have an agave wheat percolating in (and throwing up all over) scar's basement that will be ready by memorial day.

Other than that, for summer beers, I like wheats and lagers. The oft-mentioned Bells Oberon is my go-to beer when there are green leaves on the trees. Cinco De Mayo time means Negra Modello.

And in June, this:

Grabbed a six-pack of the Oberon on bac0n's recommendation, and I'd just like to say holy cow, that's some good beer.

I've never seen Oberon out here in the Pac NW. I'll have to track some down.

But, according to that, wine and liquor did NOT increase the risk!

Silver lining!
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

The beer thats been brewing in the basement is now nicknamed Bac0n's Bitter Bastard.

And how!
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    The beer thats been brewing in the basement is now nicknamed Bac0n's Bitter Bastard.

And how!
    It's B-LICIOUS!

Can't wait to start drinking today

Looked up some info and those sound mighty delicious.

Wheat beer is a funny thing for me - I love having one, maybe two. But it just isn't something I can drink all night. I have to go back to my regular barley-malt brews for long-term drinkin'.

That Monk's Blood looks and sounds divine.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I'm the same with wheat beer. While Whites/wheats are my favorite, I can't drink them a lot if I'm "out drinkin'." Too filling.

This 21st Amendment brewing company is quickly becoming my favorite. Monk's Blood is awesome, as is their dark IPA. Really looking forward to trying this watermelon wheat.

Picked up Flying Dog's sample pack, just called The Pack

My list, ranked worst to best.

6. Road Dog Porter -- I am not a fan of darker beers, porters, stouts. I reluctantly cracked the top of this one and was surprised by it. No overwhelming coffee or chocolate flavors, and not heavy or syrupy like some darker brews, with a finishing note of charcoal or BBQ. Not bad!! 6/10

5. Tire Bite Golden Ale -- Pleasantly mild. A nice, light summer brew. Leaves the palate clean. Very easy to drink. 7/10

4. Old Scratch Amber Lager -- A little heavier than the Golden Ale with a mild sweetness. 7/10

3. Doggy Style Classic Pale Ale -- Now we're getting into my favorite kinds. I like dry, bitter beers, and this fit the bill nicely. 8/10

2. Snake Dog IPA -- As the bitterness quota increases, so does my rating. IPAs are some of my favorites, and this does not disappoint. Dry, with a bitter kick at the end. Loved it. 9/10

1. In-Heat Wheat Hefeweizen -- Pretty much beer nirvana. Wheats are my absolute favorites, though it's rare to find a Hefeweizen that knocks my socks off. Widmer's Hefeweizen has been my go-to for a long time, but ... Flying Dog definitely has my attention now. Theirs is light, crisp, and bittersweet, it covers the palate, then leaves cleanly. Loved it. 10/10

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Wheat beer is a funny thing for me - I love having one, maybe two. But it just isn't something I can drink all night. I have to go back to my regular barley-malt brews for long-term drinkin'.
    Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I'm the same with wheat beer. While Whites/wheats are my favorite, I can't drink them a lot if I'm "out drinkin'." Too filling.
    Geez, I could plow through a six-pack of Widmer Hefeweizen without even blinking. But, yes, they do tend to be filling.

Page 11 of 71 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast