Page 135 of 192 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,375 of 4792

Thread: What Are You Listening To?

Not sure why this didn't make it onto King of Limbs. Pretty sweet track.

[youtube]tFTLxkMmY4M[/youtube]

Clearly, Skipper Dan's interest in performance was really all about the pursuit of fame and wealth. He could name-drop Uta Hagen, but he had no respect and love for the artform. To be honest, it was evident in his performances. Early on, he was able to impress critics and audiences with his technique, purchased as it was from Julliard, that empty factory for would-be soap opera stars. But ultimately, the truth caught up with him. He had no heart. He couldn't reflect humanity because he had no love for humanity.

I don't wish sadness and dissatisfaction on anyone. But Skipper Dan's fate is no more or less than he deserves. And if he holds contempt for his current occupation, well, that is no surprise. Skipper Dan holds contempt for life itself.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

[youtube]MjHwPqiWfQM[/youtube]
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

[youtube]K-wXT9eUBm4[/youtube]

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Did you listen to that track I posted? First half is sooo good.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

The Book of Mormon soundtrack.
    [youtube]-IjBi1eEaAA[/youtube]

haha, Kid 606's funny take on the old 4 Hero classic, Mr. Kirk's Nightmare:

[youtube]epI6D8NG4VE[/youtube]

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    [youtube]a0cCRRFi1aA[/youtube]
    [youtube]KCSA7kKNu2Y[/youtube]

Pretty fun faux-Steinman.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Now that our computer screen alerts us of a phone call, they have began letting us listen to music at work (using headphones of course). So today, I had a nostalgia-fest, revisiting the four albums that basically were on constant loop in college:

Jimmy Eat World, Clarity
    Weezer, Pinkerton
    Pavement, Terror Twilight
    Built to Spill, Perfect From Now On

Good times. Still love this stuff.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

[youtube]PMku-GbafEg[/youtube]

[youtube]-s_qJ3jLZ9w[/youtube]

First listen through stuff off this album. Still working on Attention Please as well, which alternates presently from wonderful shoegaze rock to a little too minimalist given the album's intentions...
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Yeah, as awesome as it is to here Boris do more shoegaze-y stuff, I think they are better when sticking to their heavier stuff, but then I've just started exploring Attention Please like you.

Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will is not an outstanding album from Mogwai, but this song kills

[youtube]RhzOE35057M[/youtube]

The Red Shoes (Powell, 1948)
    Manhattan Murder Mystery (Allen, 1993)
    Spring Breakers (Korine, 2012)
    Sydney (Anderson, 1996)
    El ángel exterminador (Luis Buñuel, 1963)

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Listening to that Boris song, I have realized there are some artists and styles of music I will never, ever "get." Mogwai on the other hand is one I have slowly started to like more and more. I actually really like their newest album.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Gushing Prayer Kurious Jorge v3.1's Avatar
    [youtube]iklStXMpNMY[/youtube]

Arrebato (Zulueta - '80) 89
    Elegia (Huszarik - '65) 95
    Szinbad (Huszarik - '71) 77
    Temptation of St. Tony (Ounpuu - '09) 80
    Marguriete of the Night (Autant-Lara - '55)62
    Kadin Hamlet (Erksan - '77) 52
    Passion of a Darkly Noon (Ridley - '94) 79
    Endangered Species (Rudolph - '82) 65
    Made in Heaven (Rudolph -'87) 20
    High Hopes (Leigh - '88) 74

[/COLOR]

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I bought the Tyler the Creator album "Goblin" since it's gotten so much hype and it was onsale for $5 on amazon. Not my thing at all. I'm also getting really tired of people using the word "faggot" like they're 12 years old. If you hate gay people and use the word at least I can understand that but using the word as a "diss" without the gay context I had hoped that people had matured past that.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    I bought the Tyler the Creator album "Goblin" since it's gotten so much hype and it was onsale for $5 on amazon. Not my thing at all. I'm also getting really tired of people using the word "faggot" like they're 12 years old. If you hate gay people and use the word at least I can understand that but using the word as a "diss" without the gay context I had hoped that people had matured past that.
    yeah, the lyrics are all stupid immature shit. and on top that only about half the album has decent beats.

I don't really pay much attention to the music threads here, but I just wanted to express my admiration for Weezer's Pinkerton. I think I'm a fan in general of those 90s/grunge era messy "fuck our careers" albums (see also: In Utero and Vitalogy).
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    sounds like "you don't get it"

and what i mean by that is if you listen to the album and you come to the conclusion that he hates gay people, then you're listening to it wrong. he's an immature 19-year-old (20-year-old?) who uses words in the most offensive way he can think of to do exactly that. whether the listener should consider that a valid excuse to actually say these execrable things is up to them

it's not a great album by any stretch of the imagination (it's way too long for one), but it's exciting to listen to, and makes a much more interesting listen than most rap records now

plus "bitch suck dick" is hilarious

also, he definitely needs to evolve lyrically, unless he wants to be pigeonholed as an immature kid who uses the vile content of his lyrics to shock "white america"

he's a talented guy. it's evident in the fact that he's responsible for every audio and visual aspect of his projects

Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    and what i mean by that is if you listen to the album and you come to the conclusion that he hates gay people, then you're listening to it wrong. he's an immature 19-year-old (20-year-old?) who uses words in the most offensive way he can think of to do exactly that. whether the listener should consider that a valid excuse to actually say these execrable things is up to them
    Yeah, it's not that he hates gay people. It's that he's purposefully being as offensive as possible with the goal in mind being to sound as offensive as possible. It's not that he believes in anything he's saying, but rather wallows in the excrement of sexism, homophobia and racism to the point where the filth loses its fury because he refuses to use half-measures in his rapping about stupid, offensive things.

[
    ]

i think he has a ton of potential, and it kinda sucks that he blew up so early in his development as an artist that i don't think that potential will ever be fully realized. that he'll be stuck in a state of arrested development ("hey that's the name of the show!")

i'm hoping earl's return will be a catalyst for something new and exciting, instead of a rehash of their old stuff

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)

it's not a great album by any stretch of the imagination (it's way too long for one), but it's exciting to listen to, and makes a much more interesting listen than most rap records now

plus "bitch suck dick" is hilarious
    Sounds like you didn't get my post. I never said he hates gay people. Exactly the opposite. Just like in alot of recent comedies the use of the word "faggot" when it's not applicable "in the haha I'm saying faggot but not too a gay person so it's ok and hilarious" is not funny to me nor do I find it offensive.

The last words I would use to describe his album are "exciting" or "interesting".
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

my favorite contemporary rappers:

1. lil b
    2. odd future (tyler the creator, earl sweatshirt, mellowhype)
    3. g-side and the huntsville scene
    4. 1017 brick squad (gucci mane, waka flocka flame)
    5. green ova undergrounds (main attraktionz)
    6. kanye west
    7. young l (of the pack)
    8. soulja boy

raekwon and killer mike put out a couple of really solid albums out this year, but can't say they get me excited. and it sucks that pusha t has basically been neutered into kanye's louis bag carrier

still need to listen to this shabazz palaces album, but i'm not really expecting anything. don't care for digable planets and in general dislike hip hop and jazz fusion (jazzamatazz sux)