Page 22 of 522 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272122 ... LastLast

Thread: The NFL Discussion Thread

Heh. How brutal of NBC to zoom on Roethlisberger as he waits for Gerard to finish his post-game interview so he can congratulate him. About a minute after his game ending fumble too. Ouch.

Quote Quoting DavidSeven (view post)
    Heh. How brutal of NBC to zoom on Roethlisberger as he waits for Gerard to finish his post-game interview so he can congratulate him. About a minute after his game ending fumble too. Ouch.
    I thought it was very cool for him to stick around. Most people would bail to the locker room.

Quote Quoting DSNT (view post)
    I thought it was very cool for him to stick around. Most people would bail to the locker room.
    It was definitely a classy move. He might have had second thoughts about doing that if he knew they were going push that zoom right into his face though.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting DSNT (view post)
    Yeah, I was really impressed by this. And it wasn't just a simple handshake. That was a sincere congratulations. I've never been much of a fan of "Ben" (as Simmons refers to him), but that was very cool, especially considering Gerard is in his first full season as a starter.

As for the game, it was pretty wild. I picked the Steelers, but I'm glad Jax won because I think they'll be better competition for the Pats. I still don't think they'll win, but at least they'll give them a hard fought game.

I was the opposite in the first game. I picked the Hawks, but I'd have rather seen the Redskins win. They're a better story, and Todd Collins is a former Michigan QB.

The Jags-Steelers game was the only good game this weekend, although the Seahawks-Redskins was close at times and the Chargers-Titans game was surprisingly low scoring. New York beat Tampa because Eli did really freakin' well. That or Peyton replaced him halfway through and we didn't notice

I think the Jags will beat the Pats, and that the Colts will beat the Chargers. Thus setting up a completely AFC South division championship battle, one in which Jacksonville will beat the Colts in a third meeting between the two teams this season. Considering how things have gone in the past I wouldn't be surprised to see a Cowboys-Jags Superbowl, or even worse: a Seahawks-Jags Superbowl, something Bill Simmons noted in his column. If that happens I won't even bother trying to get time off for work to see the big game. Best case Superbowl: Pats-Cowboys, which is far more likely or Colts-Cowboys which is also a good bet.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Pats VS. Colts is destiny.

Packers VS. Cowboys also seems likely.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    I'm changing my pick from New York to Tampa Bay. I can't convince myself that Eli is capable of winning a playoff game on the road.
    I should have convinced myself. :|

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I am also picking the Jags over the Pats.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Did those of you who are picking the Jags for the upset actually see Gerard in that game? No way does that guy go into New England and win. He can't step up in a big game. He couldn't beat the Colts, even as depleted as their team was in the second meeting. They have Pittsburgh's number for some reason (though the Steelers weren't all that great this year anyway), but otherwise they beat up on weak competition. Here's the teams they beat this year:

Atlanta
    Denver
    Houston
    Kansas City
    Tampa Bay
    Tennessee
    San Diego
    Buffalo

Carolina
    Pittsburgh
    Oakland

The bold games were home wins. The only quality wins were Pittsburgh, San Diego (though that was the middle of the season when they were still getting their shit together) and Tampa Bay (which I never felt was very good, just benefited from a weak division). I don't believe for a second that they can go into Foxboro and win that game.

Jags will lose by at least 3 touchdowns.

Director
    4/4 this week.

Haven't decided on the Divisional round yet but there's no chance I'm taking the Jags to win. San Diego maybe.

Did those of you who are picking the Jags for the upset actually see Gerard in that game? No way does that guy go into New England and win. He can't step up in a big game. He couldn't beat the Colts, even as depleted as their team was in the second meeting. They have Pittsburgh's number for some reason (though the Steelers weren't all that great this year anyway), but otherwise they beat up on weak competition. Here's the teams they beat this year:

Atlanta
    Denver
    Houston
    Kansas City
    Tampa Bay
    Tennessee
    San Diego
    Buffalo

Carolina
    Pittsburgh
    Oakland

The bold games were home wins. The only quality wins were Pittsburgh, San Diego (though that was the middle of the season when they were still getting their shit together) and Tampa Bay (which I never felt was very good, just benefited from a weak division). I don't believe for a second that they can go into Foxboro and win that game.
    See I think they can for the following reasons:

1) The pressure of going undefeated will get to the Pats and at the worst time: playoff time. If they beat the Jags they won't get past the winner of Chargers/Colts largely because its so damn hard to go undefeated in this day in age and stay that way throughout the entire season (not just the regular season but the playoffs as well).

2) Gerard may not be a great QB, but he doesn't make too many mistakes. The Pats defense is actually the weakest part of that 16-0 team, and I think it will end up costing them down the road, if not in the playoffs then in the Super Bowl.

3) When it comes to defense the Jags have one of the most hard hitting, rough and tumble defenses in the league. This is the kind of defense you need to beat the Pats. They have to not only shut down most of the Pats receivers, but also knock Tom Brady on his ass. Jacksonville isn't the only team that wants to cheap shot the shit out of Brady and co. for running up the score in the regular season, which the Pats did to some of the teams in the post season.

4) Finally, the Jags run the ball extremely well. By doing so they'll eat up the clock, thus controlling the game and keeping the Pats high power offense off the field.

I think this game will be a close one because of the talent New England has. But I think a healthy Jags team has a better shot at taking down the Pats than a Colts team that's missing some pieces and a Chargers team that has feasted on far weaker competition than Jacksonvillie did.

Following this week I'll discuss why I think my beloved Packers will lose to the Seahawks. One of the reasons will be "God hates all of the pro sports teams I like." Sadly.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    I'll take the Pats in a close one. Bellichek has had extra time to prepare against them, remember. I'm sure he'll come up with a solid defensive plan to allow the Pats offense to do its thing.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

Joe Gibbs Retires Again

Not much of a surprise. Still, he got his team to overachieve this season, which is usually the sign of good coaching.

Joe Gibbs Retires Again

Not much of a surprise. Still, he got his team to overachieve this season, which is usually the sign of good coaching.
    Yeah, pretty much. Looking at his overall record he's a lock to be in the Hall of Fame.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    Yeah, pretty much. Looking at his overall record he's a lock to be in the Hall of Fame.
    That's good, because he's already in the hall of fame.

Quote Quoting Benny Profane (view post)
    That's good, because he's already in the hall of fame.
    Huh. I guess he was retired long enough the first time around to be eligable (before his second stint with the Redskins).
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Shit, I forgot to mention why I think the Seahawks will beat the Packers. Well I have time I guess....

1) Defensively Seattle matches up really well with Green Bay, and has shown to be very capable of causing turnovers and limiting the pass. Dallas showed that if you force Brett Farve to throw deep you can beat the Packers simply because he'll only make you pay for allowing him to do so a few times, mainly due to the fact that Farve's success this season stemed from him throwing short routes.

2) Yes the Seahawks don't have a good running game, but they've shown they can well well without one. Plus Alexander has a bit left in the tank and Morris can carry the ball if they need him too. Their pass happy offense, provided Branch and Bracket play which they will, is capable of putting up enough points to match Green Bay's potent offensive attack.

3) Sure the Seahawks haven't been great in the post season, but the Packers have a 1-2 record at home over the past home season playoff games, and Farve has a 11-9 record in the post season overall which isn't great for one of the best QB's ever.

Basically this game is a coin toss because of those records, and also simply due to the fact that its been a long time since a team I liked did well in the post season. Yikes. That said, I'll be rooting for the Packers of course....but hey I'm a realist. I knew the Cubs would get swept by the Diamondbacks and that at the begining of the season I forsaw the Chiefs being terrible. Oh well :|

PS: Weekend Picks:

Jags over Pats
    Seahawks over Packers
    Colts over Chargers
    Cowboys over Giants

Last weekend: 2-2
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Divisional picks:

Packers
    Patriots
    Colts
    Giants

Packs
    Patriots
    Colts
    Cowboys

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Good Lord is it ever coming down in Green Bay.

And, yes, I'm actually rooting for the Pack.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I love being wrong. I really do. That game was utterly amazing in every aspect, and I enjoyed it while at a local restaurant, viewing every single play on a big screen while drinking beer and eating chicken strips. My favorite play was when Farve shock off the tackler and then threw an underhand dump pass to a WR for a first down. Amazing. His line was badass too: 3 TDs, 0 Ints, and Ryan Grant had a huge day despite two fumbles, rushing for over 200 yards and three TDs. Even though the defense allowed 20 points it did great today, sacking Hasselback and completely shutting down what little running game Seattle had. I'm hoping that somehow the Packers play the Giants instead of the Cowboys, or that TO goes down tomorrow or something....

Right now the Jaguars are playing to their strengths heavily and have the undefeated Pats on their heels. Awesome. What's crazy is that Tom Brady entered halftime 12/12, which gets a "Wow" from me.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Madman, your NFL picks are starting to look like your Bowl Game picks. :P

If the Chargers pull off the upset, what a disappointing AFC Championship Game that will make.