Page 13 of 82 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Gastronomy - The Food & Drink Thread

My friend had a recipe for crock pot bread that was really quite good. It didn't need to be kneaded because it cooked so slowly, so you just mixed & dumped and had bread a few hours later.

The oddest thing about it was that it never looked cooked, because a top crust wouldn't form. (Because it wasn't being exposed to heat.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    My friend had a recipe for crock pot bread that was really quite good. It didn't need to be kneaded because it cooked so slowly, so you just mixed & dumped and had bread a few hours later.

The oddest thing about it was that it never looked cooked, because a top crust wouldn't form. (Because it wasn't being exposed to heat.)

Hmmm...that does sound like it could be good.

But I love my crusts :sad:
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Hmmm...that does sound like it could be good.

But I love my crusts :sad:
    You get crust on the side and bottom, where it touches the heat. Just not the top.

I think I need to e-mail her for that recipe, actually.

And I did put the food in the crock pot this morning. (Waking up half an hour early to make dinner seemed very strange.) We'll see how it goes.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I'm going to try and smoke a Turkey on my grill on Saturday....
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)

*drool*

Good luck!

Best of luck! The biggest piece of meat I've ever smoked on the grill is a 6 LB brisket, which took half the day. It was absolutely delicious, and I can't wait to do it again. How big is your turkey?

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    Best of luck! The biggest piece of meat I've ever smoked on the grill is a 6 LB brisket, which took half the day. It was absolutely delicious, and I can't wait to do it again. How big is your turkey?
    10 pounder. Might be around 3 hours to cook, according to the sources I've checked. I'm going to pick up a simple meat thermometer to keep in it, since I have to add coals and woods every hour, I can check the internal temp at that time and adjust accordingly.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

10 pounder. Might be around 3 hours to cook, according to the sources I've checked. I'm going to pick up a simple meat thermometer to keep in it, since I have to add coals and woods every hour, I can check the internal temp at that time and adjust accordingly.
    Does your grill have a section that lifts up to add coals? Mine doesn't. That was a bitch.

Does your grill have a section that lifts up to add coals? Mine doesn't. That was a bitch.
    Yep, got the hinged grate. I figured I'd be doing a ton of slow cooking, so I considered a MUST have.

It.
    Was.
    GLORIOUS.

It.
    Was.
    GLORIOUS.
    Sweet. Good job. Was it finished in 3 hours?

Sweet. Good job. Was it finished in 3 hours?
    I think it was just about 3 hours on the nuts. Of course, I was having a few beers while cooking, but I think it was right at the three hour mark when the chicken titty temp became 170F.

I was in charge of the potato salad today, and I was leery. I usually think potato salad is too sweet. (It doesn't take much for me to think things are "too sweet.")

Do you know what I discovered at the store? DILL RELISH. It's a whole new ballgame.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I was in charge of the potato salad today, and I was leery. I usually think potato salad is too sweet. (It doesn't take much for me to think things are "too sweet.")

Do you know what I discovered at the store? DILL RELISH. It's a whole new ballgame.
    Oh, definitely. In my mind this is the only way it can be, outside of making relish-free potato salads.

Cheddarwurst slow cooked (30mn indirect heat) on a charcoal grill. So simple, yet oh so good.

Last night while out for a walk, I noticed that all the mulberry trees next to the street were ripe, so I gathered up a bunch. Tonight I shall try mulberry pie, which I've never made before.
    ...and the milk's in me.

It's nothing Scar-like, but I made a hell of a pasta salad that kept me going for a good three days.

Tri-colored pasta, Red onion, zucchini, red and green pepper, mayo, olive oil, steamed broccoli, and dry mustard. Simple, but loved it.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm also still perfecting my chicken soup recipe, which I've been making a couple times a month for almost a year. (My father is obsessed with this soup, regardless of how hot and muggy it is outside, so he keeps buying me rotisserie chickens to make the stock.)
    ...and the milk's in me.

This is the recipe of the day today over at allrecipes.com. Looks really good-- may need to try it. I think I'll wait until my banana peppers come in from the garden. That would be delicious.
    ...and the milk's in me.

Last night while out for a walk, I noticed that all the mulberry trees next to the street were ripe, so I gathered up a bunch. Tonight I shall try mulberry pie, which I've never made before.
    Turned out beautifully, although very juicy. (There's not much substance to a mulberry.)

But I'm a little annoyed that both my parents, separately, questioned my ability to identify a mulberry. Like I would just pick random berries off of random trees and bake them into a pie.
    ...and the milk's in me.

I've never had mulberry pie.

In fact, I don't think I've ever even had mulberries :sad:

But I have to say, pie > cake. I'll take a nice berry pie over a piece of chocolate cake any day of the week.

So in other words...can I have some pie?

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    It's nothing Scar-like, but I made a hell of a pasta salad that kept me going for a good three days.

Tri-colored pasta, Red onion, zucchini, red and green pepper, mayo, olive oil, steamed broccoli, and dry mustard. Simple, but loved it.
    Things don't need to be complicated to be good!

Took 2 pounds of pork loin, put a cajun-esque homemade rub on it for several hours, cooked over indirect heat in a Weber for ~1.5hours and tossed in hickory wood chips every 30 mn or so. Frackin' awesome.

Oh god, that sounds incredible Scar.

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    With food, simple is usually better.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    With food, simple is usually better.

Yep, but even simple stuff can have huge quality differences.

Perhaps my favorite food ever is just a burger and some fries...but a bad burger is a freaking travesty.

Page 13 of 82 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast