Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Cut Madness 2: Best of the 90s

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Even though Fargo was the champ in Filmspotting's tourney, I bet you 50 MC rolls with Lebowski.
    I will do everything in my power to make sure that isn't the case.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I'm the problem it's me DFA1979's Avatar
    Fargo is the better of the two. Also I think I have a Coens Brothers related unpopular opinions post based on this discussion.
    Blog!

And it's happened once again
    I'll turn to a friend
    Someone that understands
    And sees through the master plan
    But everybody's gone
    And I've been here for too long
    To face this on my own
    Well, I guess this is growing up

Pulp Fiction vs. Three Colors: Blue
    Out of Sight vs. Saving Private Ryan
    Toy Story vs. The Sixth Sense
    Schindler’s List vs. The Iron Giant
    Fight Club vs. Safe
    Barton Fink vs. Leon: The Professional
    Chungking Express vs. Lost Highway
    Jackie Brown vs. Princess Mononoke
    The Silence of the Lambs vs. Close-Up (X)
    Terminator 2: Judgment Day vs. The Lion King
    Heat vs. JFK
    Dazed and Confused vs. Basic Instinct
    Boogie Nights vs. La Haine (X)
    Malcolm X vs. Contact (X)
    The Big Lebowski vs. The Truman Show
    Groundhog Day vs. Titanic
    Goodfellas vs. There’s Something About Mary
    Miller’s Crossing vs. Jurassic Park
    Magnolia vs. All About My Mother
    Being John Malkovich vs. Office Space
    Unforgiven vs. Three Kings
    Trainspotting vs. The Nightmare Before Christmas
    The Matrix vs. The Blair Witch Project
    Hoop Dreams vs. The Thin Red Line
    Fargo vs. Dead Man
    L. A. Confidential vs. Run Lola Run
    Before Sunrise vs. The Piano
    Eyes Wide Shut vs. Three Colors: Red
    Rushmore vs. The Sweet Hereafter
    The Shawshank Redemption vs The Usual Suspects
    Reservoir Dogs vs. Ed Wood
    Seven vs. Scream

Quote Quoting DFA1979 (view post)
    Fargo is the better of the two. Also I think I have a Coens Brothers related unpopular opinions post based on this discussion.
    I love Dead Man and would vote for it against half the films here, but not against Fargo.

Dead Man >> Fargo. That's just the way it is.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Dead Man suuuucks (talkin’ smack, yes I am!)

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Malcolm X vs. Contact
    Fargo vs. Dead Man
    Seven vs. Scream
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Neither Dead Man nor Fargo are my favorite from their respective directors, but I gotta support my main man Jim Jarmusch. Plus, Coens have four movies in this tournament. They'll be fine.

Quote Quoting Mal (view post)
    Dead Man suuuucks (talkin’ smack, yes I am!)
    "Every night and every morn, some to misery are born."
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting baby doll (view post)
    Of course it's possible to rationalize this seeming contradiction, but I believe my point about the character being thinly conceived still stands.
    Eh, I don't know about that. I also don't know how Vincent insisting on a "please" from The Wolf in "The Bonnie Situation" is evidence of an inconsistent characterization on his part either; could you elaborate any?

Quote Quoting StuSmallz (view post)
    Eh, I don't know about that. I also don't know how Vincent insisting on a "please" from The Wolf in "The Bonnie Situation" is evidence of an inconsistent characterization on his part either; could you elaborate any?
    It doesn't really seem to gel with any other aspect of his character; it feels like Tarantino included it because he thought it would make for a funny scene.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

- - - - -
    It doesn't really seem to gel with any other aspect of his character; it feels like Tarantino included it because he thought it would make for a funny scene.
    I agree Vincent is a thin character, but not about this detail. It's entirely within his character, because Vincent is a pain in the ass with a chip on his shoulder.

Vincent is the low man on the Marcellus Wallace totem pole and takes everything too personally. He's defensive and sullen when Paul and Jules kid him about Mia in the bar, then immediately starts shit with Butch for no reason ("You looking at something, friend?" "I'm not your friend, palooka.") He has no social grace in casual settings, like at Lance's suburban dopehouse ("Which one's Trudy? The one with all the shit in her face?" "No, that's Jody. That's my wife."). He's also opinionated at the worst times, as when Jules gives Honey Bunny and Pumpkin the money out of his own wallet ("Jules, you give this fucking nimrod $1,500, I'll shoot him on general principle").

So when he should be humble in front of Mr Wolf because Wolf is saving his ass, he's not. Instead, he talks back, and in the same way he does to everybody else, no matter who they are.

Vincent is a consistently a dickhead. He's thin because that's all he ever is, just like the conception behind Jules (as I think you noted before) can be entirely summed up by that "bad motherfucker" wallet.
    Last edited by Irish; 04-12-2021 at 05:10 AM.

I don't see how, because it's essentially 100% true to Vincent's overall character based off of the way he's portrayed throughout the rest of Pulp. I mean, think about it; what do we know about Vincent's general persona? We know that he tends to be laid-back (as seen when he just hangs back and lets Jules do all the talking in the apartment scene, and why his drug of choice just so happens to be a depressant), he's often inconsiderate to others (as seen early on in his lack of empathy for "Tony Rocky Horror" when he says "You play with matches, you get burned"), and he tends to be either hostile to, or at the very least, uncomfortable around strangers (as is noticable in the early part of his date with Mia). So, taking all of that into account, why would it be inconsistent for him, this laid-back, inconsiderate individual who's uncomfortable around strangers to inappropriately ask for The Wolf (a man he's never met before) for a "please" when the guy starts brusquely ordering him around? Plus, part of the point of that scene is to demonstrate his refusal to change for the better in light of the second chance that life (or God, or whatever other force you want to ascribe it to) has given him, as opposed to Jules, which is the reason why one of them gets killed "later" on, and the other lives to wander the earth as a man of peace, you know?
    Last edited by StuSmallz; 04-12-2021 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    I agree Vincent is a thin character, but not about this detail. It's entirely within his character, because Vincent is a pain in the ass with a chip on his shoulder.

Vincent is the low man on the Marcellus Wallace totem pole and takes everything too personally. He's defensive and sullen when Paul and Jules kid him about Mia in the bar, then immediately starts shit with Butch for no reason ("You looking at something, friend?" "I'm not your friend, palooka.") He has no social grace in casual settings, like at Lance's suburban dopehouse ("Which one's Trudy? The one with all the shit in her face?" "No, that's Jody. That's my wife."). He's also opinionated at the worst times, as when Jules gives Honey Bunny and Pumpkin the money out of his own wallet ("Jules, you give this fucking nimrod $1,500, I'll shoot him on general principle").

So when he should be humble in front of Mr Wolf because Wolf is saving his ass, he's not. Instead, he talks back, and in the same way he does to everybody else, no matter who they are.

Vincent is a consistently a dickhead. He's thin because that's all he ever is, just like the conception behind Jules (as I think you noted before) can be entirely summed up by that "bad motherfucker" wallet.
    Good points, man.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

He's also bad at his job. Which is shown twice.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

There are a lot more of these (than 80s films) that I haven't seen or haven't seen in 20 years.

Pulp Fiction vs. Three Colors: Blue
    Toy Story vs. The Sixth Sense
    Fight Club vs. Safe (I have not seen safe, but would like to vote against Fight Club anyway)
    Chungking Express vs. Lost Highway
    The Silence of the Lambs vs. Close-Up
    Heat vs. JFK
    Boogie Nights vs. La Haine
    Malcolm X vs. Contact
    Groundhog Day vs. Titanic
    Miller’s Crossing vs. Jurassic Park
    Unforgiven vs. Three Kings
    Fargo vs. Dead Man
    L. A. Confidential vs. Run Lola Run
    Eyes Wide Shut vs. Three Colors: Red
    Rushmore vs. The Sweet Hereafter
    The Shawshank Redemption vs The Usual Suspects
    Seven vs. Scream

Quote Quoting Mr. McGibblets (view post)
    I would call you a monster, but at this point a vote for Mary registers as compassion.

With 48 hours left in Round One, we have three ties:

The Silence of the Lambs vs. Close-Up

If you've been thinking about voting and have a preference in these match-ups (or any others), now would be a great time to vote by posting in this thread or sending me a PM.

I'll watch Basic Instinct tonight...

I should watch Close-Up and La Haine tonight.

My guess is Mal had a better overall time but Yxklyx had more fun.

- - - - -
    Having just watched the film again (mostly due to this conversation), I'm gonna reverse myself and agree with you.

Vincent didn't strike me as cantankerous as I thought he was, and Travolta's delivery in this scene feels forced. I think that's due to the weakness in the writing. The dialogue lacks energy, the violence is too grisly, and there's only a small amount dramatic tension. (A ticking clock, which Tarantino undercuts by having Mr Wolf express confidence they can clean the car before Bonnie returns home.)

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    My guess is Mal had a better overall time but Yxklyx had more fun.
    My internet buffered 20 minutes into La Haine and I fell asleep.

Dazed and Confused vs. Basic Instinct - edit to my original post

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    Dazed and Confused vs. Basic Instinct - edit to my original post
    Recency bias!

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast