Page 15 of 86 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19

What does Disney even have that is making money right now? Theatrical films are shut-down. Theme parks are shut-down. Cruise lines, hotels shut-down. Disney+ is probably doing roaring business with all the kids at home. Plus the cable Disney channel. They used to have Disney radio but I don't think that is much of a thing anymore. They have branded retail, but retail has shat the bed. I can't imagine them being able to float their giant overhead on new Disney+ subscriptions alone.

EDIT: forgot they own ABC which probably has some high ratings with ABC News covering covid stuff. They also own ESPN, but can't imagine anyone watching that right now. Pro sports has also been nuked.
    Last edited by Pop Trash; 03-26-2020 at 03:33 PM.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    What does Disney even have that is making money right now? Theatrical films are shut-down. Theme parks are shut-down. Cruise lines, hotels shut-down. Disney+ is probably doing roaring business with all the kids at home. Plus the cable Disney channel. They used to have Disney radio but I don't think that is much of a thing anymore. They have branded retail, but retail has shat the bed. I can't imagine them being able to float their giant overhead on new Disney+ subscriptions alone.
    Couldn't have been a better time to have Disney+ when you think about it. Then they would really be in trouble.

28 million subscribers paying $6.99 a month with probably more signing up to stay at home. Almost $200 mil a month income with little overhead. Dunno if they are paying their theme park employees. ESPN still works but no sports.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I really want to believe that society will come out the other side of this with a renewed respect an appreciation for retail and service industry workers.

Those people that you (proverbial) looked down on and thought should be paid slave wages and have no rights? Guess who are on the front lines now, while you're at home?

But I'm sure in no time people will be back to saying "burger flippers" and "cart boys" should be spit on.
    I was at Trader Joe's yesterday and told the cashier "thank you for your service" like he is in the military. I asked how he was doing and was like "I'm ok. We're getting bonuses for working this month. I'm happy to have a job." He looked like he is in his 50s. Kinda depressing if these are the jobs that will be left. Over the decades I've seen numerous specialized retail stores I've worked at closed down (record stores, video stores, camera equipment stores) and I've always thought of them as potential fall back jobs if I had to go back to working at a store due to a lay-off. Those jobs are less and less now.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Disney employs 223K employees worldwide. I would expect that number to be cut in half in the next six months if a) Apple doesn't buy them out or b) if this shut down continues much longer.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

That's super cool of you. Seriously, thank you.

If Apple buys them, I will mandate every MCer that thinks Disney is bad for Hollywood to give up their iPhone.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    If Apple buys them, I will mandate every MCer that thinks Disney is bad for Hollywood to give up their iPhone.
    must spread rep

I don't have an iPhone so hah!
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

A hospital in Queens has had to rent a refrigerated truck to accommodate the amount of deaths.

But everything's fine.

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Well, I decided to go pull up thirty or forty landscape bricks that had been under my Stone Hedge Style fire pit, don’t worry Bac0n, I’m just rebuilding, and I feel like I was on the incline trainer for ten minutes. Bad Scar, stay inside, be lazy.
    I don't listen too well....

Shortness of breath today wasn't as bad as yesterday, and it was too damn nice out, (50F and sunny). So.... I leveled the fire pit area, and then used some of the landscape stones I unearthed and used them as a base for my Solo Stove Bonfire (not pictured):

The above picture was the 'lets see how this looks' phase before I leveled the ground using a 2 x 4.

Then I rebuilt the Stonehenge fire ring. Hardest part was the sealant was a BITCH to squeeze out the caulking gun.

Version 2.0 is a helluva lot more level than Version 1.0 was. I must've unearthed 20+ synthetic shims. Pays to take your time. What can I say, I'm anxious to burn some stuff.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Note the unearthed Miller Light Aluminum bottle fossil in the lower right near the stones. :lol:
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Keep it up, Scar! I feel such a healthy envy for people who live in places with gardens or backyards right now.

Looks great! Pretty cool to use the stones you unearthed.

Yeah, ice rink in Madrid too. They are converting Fair halls and stadiums into storage, hospitals and morgues all over Europe.

Looks like:

Denmark will pay 75% of an employee's salary over the next three months (capping at $3418), if the private company pays the remaining 25%. Not much, but that's around $10.5k

Canada will pay $2k/month for four months to those who lost their jobs or are self-employed.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I'm sorry but I, for one, am proud of the president I voted for and got elected.

Quote Quoting Alberto Fernandez
    We have to turn our attention to two blocked countries like Venezuela and Cuba. We can't say we care about human lives if we condemn to such orphanhood two countries that, by way of someone's political call, have been condemned not to receive food or medicine.

I went on a run outside today. It felt good.

Same. Running is still fine, I hope.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I went yesterday. My gym is in shut down mode but I honestly enjoyed running down the middle of the street with very little traffic around now.

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Looks like:

Denmark will pay 75% of an employee's salary over the next three months (capping at $3418), if the private company pays the remaining 25%. Not much, but that's around $10.5k

Canada will pay $2k/month for four months to those who lost their jobs or are self-employed.
    C'mon! Pull those bootstraps up! What's a total non essential government shut down gunna do? Who cares if the mayor of Los Angeles will literally shut our electricity and water down if we operate. We're Americans baby! Free hand of the marketplace!

Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7

We're just outside Athens, GA, and have enough food and supplies for at least two weeks. One of the nurses in our neighborhood already posted a FB message asking for preemptive supplies of the N95 masks, Lysol, and wipes, even though we're not really "bad" yet. The area cases are starting to jump, though; from 25 to 29 cases inside Athens from the 12:00 to 7:00 pm update, and our county doubled yesterday as well.

It's weird to go for walks in the midst of this and shift away politely from anyone else in the cul-de-sac.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Had an appropriately social distanced "happy hour" with the neighbors yesterday - pretty much standing on the sidewalk in front of our house spaced 15-20 feet apart and catching up. Not ideal, but sure is nice to get some social interaction after what amounts to complete social isolation for going on two weeks now.

Side note: I've taken to painting the miniatures that come with a lot of the boardgames I've picked up over the last several years. I've got about five painted so far. Does anybody else have any hobbies/projects they've either picked up or leaned into with the free time they suddenly found they have?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I took Nyquil to sleep last night.

This morning I didn't know what year it was.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I took Nyquil to sleep last night.

This morning I didn't know what year it was.
    I took a Dramamine with whiskey. I had some fucked up dreams.

Canada is giving $2000/month to people laid off or otherwise out of work due to the pandemic.

England and Denmakr paying 80% and 75% of salaries, respectively.

Page 15 of 86 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast