Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tattoo and Piercing Thread

I'm saying there's no real rule, but I'd argue that creative artsy types would be far more picky about things they put on their skin. There's plenty of evidence for others being the other way round...

I mean, I'd LOVE to do tattoo designs for people, but I don't think I'd ever want something on mine.

That looks cool, meg.

If I made the kind of money I made in my late twenties and even right now when I was eighteen, I'd probably have a lot of ink.

And I would regret it.

But, like you said, to each their own.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Very nearly everyone in Salt Lake who isn't Mormon is covered in tattoos. But I'm not. I can't imagine anything I'd want on me at all times ever always.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I have to say it often surprises me that there are so few people on MatchCut with tattoos and/or piercings (or even an interest in either).

Usually creative, artistic people are the ones drawn more towards that kind of stuff.
    I don't know you, so don't take offense when I say that 90% of the time it's the emptiest, most boring people who get tattoos. Almost all the folks I know who have had them done are clearly overcompensating and essentially painting on a personality. Ironic, in that it's ostensibly an act of individual expression, but usually winds up being done to fit into a certain "type" or crowd. And like [ETM] said, I know I'd personally regret any tattoo about two weeks after I got it

Thinking of getting a tattoo to remember my mother on my lower back. She's still alive and healthy, but you've got to plan ahead in life.

Lower back's good, but you should get twin headstones - One for her and one for you. When she dies, you fill in her date of death and likewise when you go, they ink in yours posthumously

Quote Quoting Adam (view post)
    I don't know you, so don't take offense when I say that 90% of the time it's the emptiest, most boring people who get tattoos. Almost all the folks I know who have had them done are clearly overcompensating and essentially painting on a personality. Ironic, in that it's ostensibly an act of individual expression, but usually winds up being done to fit into a certain "type" or crowd. And like [ETM] said, I know I'd personally regret any tattoo about two weeks after I got it

I certainly know what you mean, Adam. I've seen a lot of very bland, boring tattoos on bland, boring people who get them more to say "I have a tattoo...now people with tattoos think I'm badass!"

A few of the worst offenders are:

-guys with barbed wire/tribal patterns around their muscles
    -girls with lower back tattoos (aka the "tramp stamp")
    -gangsters and drug dealers with tattoos of Jesus ('cause I'm sure he's looking out for you, dude)
    -cheesy, cliché sayings like "Live Laugh Love" and "Live fast, die young"

All of my tattoos have very personal meanings to them and are things that, even when I have grown out of "that phase" in my life, will remain special and meaningful.

Yes, even my Cthulhu tattoo.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Thinking of getting a tattoo to remember my mother on my lower back. She's still alive and healthy, but you've got to plan ahead in life.
    Won't this get in the way of the prancing unicorns?

I'd love a tattoo, but I just cannot make up my mind at this point. I just know I'd never ever get the butterfly/fairy/angel/rose on my shoulder route.

These are the kinds of images I have always been drawn to, but I don't know if I'll ever be ready for something like that.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I had an awesome Sylvia Ji tattoo saved on this comp, but I can't find it right now.

I would have to place it where it wouldn't be seen (back) because I really do not like how skanky some tattoos look when you combine them with a pretty dress.
    My Mom - 10

Best way to avoid worrying about that tattoo mistake? Get it somewhere you can't really normally see, like the back. That's where I want to get mine when I get it someday, and I definitely want to. The thing is that I've waited with the same design idea in mind for a long time, and I still love the idea so much, so I know I wouldn't get bored/angry with having it, especially somewhere I can't normally see that easily. I think I've described it elsewhere on this site, maybe this thread.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

I think you should totally get a unique, one-of-a-kind sugarskull design, Jen. Something colourful, vibrant and awesome
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    I think you should totally get a unique, one-of-a-kind sugarskull design, Jen. Something colourful, vibrant and awesome

I'm going to think about it for a year or so.

Wryan, I would definitely get it on my back.

EDITED TO ADD: This is the one I am currently a little obsessed with.

My Mom - 10

Got my idea.

A certain quote that's more of a reminder to me more then anything. However, I'm going to put it in hieroglyphics, so it's visual to others, but still personal to me. I like it a lot. Talked about it with an artist. We'll see sometime this summer.

What do you guys think? Granted most of you aren't fans of tattoos.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Got my idea.

A certain quote that's more of a reminder to me more then anything. However, I'm going to put it in hieroglyphics, so it's visual to others, but still personal to me. I like it a lot. Talked about it with an artist. We'll see sometime this summer.

Better that than in Chinese.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Got my idea.

Meh. I read into it a bit more if I were you. I first wanted to do something like this before I got my sleeve done, and I found out that the translations are all over the place. I'm assuming you want to get some particular phrase or wording? If that's the case, I'd reconsider thinking of something you cant get that has more of a visual representation rather than text (in any language)

All Tattoos with text are extremely cheesy looking in the perspective of EVERYONE who isn't you. You may not care about that since the tattoo is for you and you only but it exists. I have text, but it's literally in my armpit so NO ONE would see it. But then again, I cover my sleeve everywhere I go anyway. Long Sleeve 4 Life.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Got my idea.

Just get the quote. It'll look a lot less trendy. I have a quote on my arm that is significant to me, and people misunderstand the message all the time, but I don't give a damn. I got it for me.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Just get the quote. It'll look a lot less trendy. I have a quote on my arm that is significant to me, and people misunderstand the message all the time, but I don't give a damn. I got it for me.
    It's very cliche to not give a damn what other people think of your tattoos. The reality is your constantly being judged. Before you get a tattoo, most people think they can handle the scrutiny, but some hold a lot of regret. Everyone gets tattoos for themselves, unless youre a tattoo artist or a rockstar... which is why I cover always cover mine. They're for me. But people get tattoos to show them off don't they? (rhetorical question)

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    I'm going to put it in hieroglyphics, so it's visual to others, but still personal to me.
    Unless you're an egyptologist, this is a bad idea.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    It's very cliche to not give a damn what other people think of your tattoos. The reality is your constantly being judged. Before you get a tattoo, most people think they can handle the scrutiny, but some hold a lot of regret. Everyone gets tattoos for themselves, unless youre a tattoo artist or a rockstar... which is why I cover always cover mine. They're for me. But people get tattoos to show them off don't they? (rhetorical question)
    I don't think it's cliche to not give a damn what people think of a tattoo. I'm constantly judged for everything in my life, from what I drive to what I wear, and if I made those judgements based on what everyone thinks, I'd suffocate under the pressure. It doesn't matter to me if people misinterpret what my tattoo is supposed to mean. It wasn't done for them. What you're talking about is different. I wear long sleeves if I'm going to be in a professional environment, but I would do that no matter what my tattoo looked like. They're considered unprofessional and counterculture, and for that reason I don't need to show mine off where it wouldn't be welcome. On your other point, yes, I got my tattoo because I like the way it looks, but I didn't get the specific tattoo I got because I thought people would find it cool or meaningful. In that regard, my tattoo is personal to me, and other's opinions don't matter.

I don't think it's cliche to not give a damn what people think of a tattoo. I'm constantly judged for everything in my life, from what I drive to what I wear, and if I made those judgements based on what everyone thinks, I'd suffocate under the pressure. It doesn't matter to me if people misinterpret what my tattoo is supposed to mean. It wasn't done for them. What you're talking about is different. I wear long sleeves if I'm going to be in a professional environment, but I would do that no matter what my tattoo looked like. They're considered unprofessional and counterculture, and for that reason I don't need to show mine off where it wouldn't be welcome. On your other point, yes, I got my tattoo because I like the way it looks, but I didn't get the specific tattoo I got because I thought people would find it cool or meaningful. In that regard, my tattoo is personal to me, and other's opinions don't matter.
    Understood. I'm simply stating that a lot of people think don't think of these things AFTER the fact.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Understood. I'm simply stating that a lot of people think don't think of these things AFTER the fact.
    This is probably true, which is why I was encouraging E to think about it now, and not compromise what he wants, the quote, just so others have something interesting to look at, the hieroglyphs. Just get what you want and don't worry about how other people view it.

This is probably true, which is why I was encouraging E to think about it now, and not compromise what he wants, the quote, just so others have something interesting to look at, the hieroglyphs. Just get what you want and don't worry about how other people view it.
    The question remains why hieroglyphs? Why not wingdings then? Why not French?

But At least it's not a kanji. :frustrated:

Yeah, why hieroglyphs? if you're doing that just to be different, you're doing it wrong.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I'll expand a little on the reasoning of hieroglyphics.

Not just to be different. I don't really like quotes or written words, even if I were to put it in another language. Hieroglyphics and ancient Egypt have always been fascinating to me in the first place. In middle school, I even trained myself to nearly read hieroglyphics.

It'll still remain significant to me (in both childhood, what it actually means, etc), and visually appealing to me at the same time. It's going to be in a spot that's not really noticeable to others anyway. I can't have tatts on the arms because of the FD.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast