View Poll Results: Jack Reacher (Edward Zwick)

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

3 50.00%
  • Nay

3 50.00%

Thread: Jack Reacher: Never Go Back

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back

Speaking as a fan of the first film who was genuinely looking forward to seeing the sequel....this sucked.

That poster looks like it's for a movie that exists!
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Speaking as a fan of the first film who was genuinely looking forward to seeing the sequel....this sucked.
    This makes me a sad panda.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    This makes me a sad panda.
    Knew I was in for a disappointment when where the first movie had that fantastic sniper sequence, this movie opens with Tom Cruise sitting in a diner.

Beyond Zwick's point and shoot approach to direction and seeming inability to construct a decent action set-piece, it's weird how generally low-rent this film feels. Can't think of another $100 million dollar film with such an anonymous supporting cast.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Knew I was in for a disappointment when where the first movie had that fantastic sniper sequence, this movie opens with Tom Cruise sitting in a diner.
    I expected very little from the first. Then that opening sequence occurred, and my expectations sky rocketed.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Yeah, nowhere even remotely close to as good as the first, and pretty generic overall. But I thought it was okay. *shrug*

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Not as good as the first but I loved first two thirds, hated the last act which really destroyed the movie for me. Yes very generic. Everything in New Orleans was sloppy, especially the stuff on the rooftops. Reacher is one tough sob. I hope he returns for a third story.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Dammit. I voted "Yay" but I meant "Nay."

I liked the first one because it covered familiar territory in a new way. Every element---the plot, the anti-hero hero, the villain---was spun just enough so that it felt fresh and interesting. It had a good rhythm and it was fun.

This though. Jesus. What the hell? I got so bored I started counting how many times Cruise and Colbie broke into a dead sprint for no reason... and then lost count because it happened so often.

The entire movie plays like a terrible episode of NCIS, but worse, because at least NCIS knows its characters and knows where it wants to go and what it wants to say.

They could have slotted any group of actors and any director into Never Go Back and it wouldn't have made any difference. 'Generic' is too kind of a word.

I stopped watching about thirty minutes in.