View Poll Results: Banta-Poeddoe or not?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

38 90.48%
  • Nay

4 9.52%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Episode VII The Force Awakens (Abrams 2015) -- SPOILERS THERE ARE.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    This is such a weird post after:

X-Men Apocalypse is a billion times more gruesome than anything in that show.

So you obviously didn't watch X-Men Apocalypse.
    Nice try, but a) I was referring to Marvel Studios proper, not Marvel/Fox and b) it still applies (having not seen Deadpool). People got their skin melted off in AoS too, and in even more gruesome fashion.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Whelp be specific next time.

And you still didn't watch X-Men Apocalypse.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

In the opening scene, people got their bones crushed into repulsive contortions and their skin melted off. [
    ]Way more gruesome.
    Now that movie earned its PG-13 rating.

Ain't nothing wrong with not watching X-Men Apocalypse.

Worth noting that tons of movies with violence that probably would've been rated R twenty years ago get by with a PG-13 because they simply cost the studios too much money to be be released with an R.

There was also a huge F-Bomb that kinda shocked me (a lot like First Class). Surprising Apocalypse squeaked by with a PG-13.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    PG-13s are good for one F-bomb.

I did watch X-Men Apocalypse and thought it was very good.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

I agree with 8 as well. There was also that scene in The Wolverine that they struggled to keep off screen and it still made me squirm. That scene was hardcore.

"Who's out of work? Dead people?"

EVERY MOVIE IS TERRIBLE
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    They need to retire Plinkett. I've already complained about that video on Facebook and RT, but, suffice to say, it's probably the worst video I've seen RLM put out (granted, I haven't seen Space Cop).

I want to revisit this soon.

I can't remember everyone who was in the prequel trilogy, but Adam Driver is the best actor ever brought into one of these movies, right? Or, at the very least, he delivers the best performance in the franchise? His presence here — particularly all of the sans helmet stuff — is kind of a fascinating incongruity, because it feels so credible and weighty, and this chafes against the bolder strokes of the fantasy story and some of the other characters and performances from this franchise. Star Wars' original trilogy went to dark places, but Han in carbonate is dire in a Saturday morning cartoon cliffhanger way (I'm sure others have described it as such, right?), not in a…teary-eyed Kylo Ren conveying heaps of internal torment kind of way. Or, to use a more germane comparison, Hammill's contorted bellowing after learning that Vader is his father feels like an actor stumbling toward histrionics, and losing something crucial en route. Maybe that "something" — convincing, well-conveyed emotional weight — never really belonged in Star Wars in the first place, and yet its emergence in TFA is more than welcome.

Having actors like Ridley and Driver around really shades in a kind of demonstrable, human emotionality to the big scenes, which is something that the first trilogy could often only aspire toward. Even Hammill, in his fleeting cameo, seems improved (I'm only speaking in relation to his other work in this franchise, as he's obviously shown tons of talent as a voice actor). That closing scene offers what is perhaps his most effective emoting since the first film, where Luke is on Tatooine and gazing out at space.

On another note, the patricide we see in this new film is more affecting than its counterpart in The Return of the Jedi. Well, actually, that's a tough call. The fact that I'm even wondering about this suggests the wisdom of suddenly casting Han as a loving father (which, admittedly, could have used more development but, as it is, they did a fine job at fast-tracking a believable dilemma).

Having properly watched the original trilogy for the first time shortly before seeing The Force Awakens, I also had a thought about A New Hope's first scene — its plastic artificiality and tame, cartoonish drama and tension. This scene is charming and feels of a piece with the series. It kind of holds the dramatic thrust of the movie back, inflecting it with a wink and some goofiness. The scene at the end of The Return of the Jedi functions in the same way. The Force Awakens was much more dour. We'll see if this is confirmed by a second viewing, but I seem to recall more serious-minded filmmaking that wasn't as interested in leavening the grim drama. This gave us a fine film, but it lacks a lot of the hokey and buoyant release valves found in the original trilogy.
    Last edited by Gittes; 10-08-2016 at 12:33 AM.

It's weird - I've barely thought about the film since I saw it and have no real interest in watching it again.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

I've also seen this today for the first time. I was a bit underwhelmed; I thought it was just decent. It really is true that it leans too heavily on nostalgia and remaking A New Hope.

Ive watched it about every 2-3 months. Im still split on it. What comes next will reflect on this film.

- - - - -
    The Plinkett video wasn't all too bad. It was at least watchable (unlike some other prominent video reviewers). The guy who impersonated George Lucas was pretty good.

I liked the "Ring Theory" stuff because I'd heard about that in passing but didn't know much about it.

I didn't understand why he made you wait for ~an hour to get to any commentary about Force Awakens, though. And when he did, his comments weren't particularly insightful--the dude pretty much reacted to it the same way everybody else did: "Yeah, this was okay. Star Wars. Fun."

Maybe it's because i saw the trilogy in reverse order, but I've never held A New Hope in that high of regard.

Part of me is bummed that VII is pretty much a remake of a New Hope, but the rest of me enjoys the Hell out of it. It's campy nostalgia city. I initially did not care for Kylo, but subsequent viewings have had him grow on me something fierce. Like many have said, he's what Anakin should've been in the prequels.

I get goosebumps during the final light saber fight, and love the brutality of it. I'd be lying if a small part of me didn't want Fin to die, but knew it wasn't going to happen.

With that said, I'm going to throw the blu ray in again after I finish watching Everest.

This post was brought to you by a bottle of Apothic Inferno.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Ive watched it about every 2-3 months. Im still split on it. What comes next will reflect on this film.
    There's only two things that can happen in Episode VIII that will get me back on board with this trilogy.

1. Snoke is Darth Plagueis.

2. Rey is a vergence of the force aka Anikian reborn (Balance of the Force)- she's good a pilot and when she touched the lightsaber she got flooded with memories. The most interesting memory being the Luke/Vadar hallway fight in Cloud City. Why would a force sensitive person have these specific flashbacks?

There's only two things that can happen in Episode VIII that will get me back on board with this trilogy.

1. Snoke is Darth Plagueis.

2. Rey is a vergence of the force aka Anikian reborn (Balance of the Force)- she's good a pilot and when she touched the lightsaber she got flooded with memories. The most interesting memory being the Luke/Vadar hallway fight in Cloud City. Why would a force sensitive person have these specific flashbacks?
    Why would Darth Plagueis be the thing that gets you back?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Why would Darth Plagueis be the thing that gets you back?
    Because then things in the Force Awakens would make more sense and would at least bring some continuity through all three trilogies.

Because then things in the Force Awakens would make more sense and would at least bring some continuity through all three trilogies.
    I never heard of him until theories started coming out after TFA.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I never heard of him until theories started coming out after TFA.
    Well he's mentioned in a dialog session between Palpatine and Anakin in Episode III... This story is very ominous and foreboding, it would be cool if we saw some of that.

The most interesting memory being the Luke/Vadar hallway fight in Cloud City. Why would a force sensitive person have these specific flashbacks?
    Not saying your wrong but I don't remember that one. It is about time to watch this again.

There are plenty of crazy ways they could go that would work for me.

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Not saying your wrong but I don't remember that one. It is about time to watch this again.

There are plenty of crazy ways they could go that would work for me.
    I have no problem making some screen-grabs to show my fellow MCers.

[]

I just hope that she's not a reincarnation of Vader.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast