Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Better Call Saul

The Jell-O scene at the nursing home was so great. I appreciated the rendition of one of the greatest pieces of film music ever (The Third Man music).

"Watch out, that's my will writing hand!"

Exactly. I don't understand how such learned and sophisticated fellas such as yourselves cannot fall in love with this show.

I will admit, however, that the commode scene was a misfire. The time spent on that could have been used far more wisely. At least it was brief and negligible, though.

Excellent Episode.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Excellent Episode.
    Been waiting.

If this weren't a prequel for Breaking Bad, I probably would have given up on it. But I feel like it has to all be adding up to something. Looks like it's doing just that

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

"Five-O" was fantastic. I had been eagerly anticipating a more sustained focus on Mike, and this episode did a great job of illuminating the history of the character and ratcheting up the (already considerable) pathos. I liked the bleak, film noir shadings, which obviously suits Mike/Jonathan Banks.

Loved the cinematography (that's not to say that the other ones have been a slouch in this regard; I like the way the interiors of Chuck's house have been shot, for example). The interior of the bar was really striking, as was the train station from the beginning, etc. Lovely. It's definitely a sumptuously mounted episode.

I also liked the bloomy look of that early scene with Mike and Stacey in the backyard, which, notwithstanding the uneasy/depressing discussion, beautifully captured the look and feel of a summer's afternoon enveloping a lived-in space (those verdant, sun-drenched backgrounds in shallow focus, the hot light and shadows bisecting the terrace, etc., as well as the use of props like the lemonade pitcher and the scattered toys, and Kaylee swinging in the background). Part of the appeal probably has something to do with the fact that I really wish it was summer right now.
    Last edited by Gittes; 03-10-2015 at 11:04 PM.

"Five-O" was the first solid indication that this show could be better than Breaking Bad.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    "Five-O" was the first solid indication that this show could be better than Breaking Bad.
    Definitely don't get that much of an inclination from that episode, but it was good.

The last episode brought it backwards a little again. The main difference between the two is that Breaking Bad was so suspense-driven and intense, while also bringing great character development and conflict. Better Call Saul really only has one of those.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I think it all comes down to expectations. If every one of you is going to expect a Breaking Bad clone or the same brand of violence, suspense and drama, then yes, I predict you are not going to enjoy it.

Me, I'm watching the best show on TV in a long, long time. I'm sorry if you can't partake.

I think this does have the potential to be a better show for me than Breaking Bad, simply because I find the struggle to be better as a person a more compelling overarching theme than the damage wrought by hubris.

I love Breaking Bad but I watched it as an observer, whereas with this show I can relate. I found this latest episode quite moving.

Also, if people think this show is slow then they should give Rectify a shot (my pick for best show currently going).

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    I think this does have the potential to be a better show for me than Breaking Bad, simply because I find the struggle to be better as a person a more compelling overarching theme than the damage wrought by hubris.
    Yes. This. I'd much rather watch an actualizing process than a disintegration. My opinion about BB ultimately fell in the negative, though it has its reasons to watch it. This, though, is very clearly a show worth watching.

I was surprised that the reflection of a crew member showed up in the last shot (worst timing) of this recent episode. Whoever it is also crouches down midway through, which suggests he realized his gaffe and didn't tell anyone. It's a pivotal moment, so it's a shame that a blunder like this made it through. I imagine this is the sort of thing that could be easily adjusted for the DVD and Bluray release.

[]

Otherwise, I'm still loving the visuals. Great shots abound.

Kieslowski's Red, otherwise a tremendous film in every way, will forever be marred for me by the same thing.

Some intriguing developments this week. They established an interesting angle via the Sandpiper Crossing skulduggery. A lot of compelling stuff: Jimmy's hardscrabble efforts, collaborating with Chuck (the hug was touching), the mounting conflict between them and Sandpiper's lawyers, etc. A great ending, too.
    Last edited by Gittes; 03-24-2015 at 11:05 AM.

Yeah. This was probably my favorite episode of the season to tell the truth.

They must have some long range plans for this. Right now, it doesn't seem anything close to "Saul Goodman."

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I won't be able to watch this, but I'm definitely curious about which episodes he's picked...particularly with regards to The Twilight Zone. That seems like one of the shows that very much informed his sensibilities as a writer, at least in terms of his X-Files work (I actually already knew he was a fan based on a few comments he's made in interviews; plus, he recently referred to "The After Hours" during the BCS podcast).

EDIT: I found a recent interview where he specifies one of his favourites: "Nervous Man In A Four Dollar Room" (be warned, though, there are some spoilers for that episode in his response).
    Last edited by Gittes; 03-27-2015 at 08:55 AM.

Heartbreaking stuff.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    I love Breaking Bad but I watched it as an observer, whereas with this show I can relate. I found this latest episode quite moving.
    I've only seem the first couple episodes of Saul and am just skimming this thread, but I like this comment. Exactly how I felt about Breaking Bad, too.
    letterboxd.

A Star is Born (2018) **1/2
    Unforgiven (1992) ***1/2
    The Sisters Brothers (2018) **
    Crazy Rich Asians (2018) ***
    The Informant! (2009) ***1/2
    BlacKkKlansman (2018) ***1/2
    Sorry to Bother You (2018) **1/2
    Eighth Grade (2018) ***
    Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018) ***
    Ant-Man and The Wasp (2018) **1/2

Keeps getting better and better.

Such a great scene between McKean and Odenkirk. If that's what they spent the whole season building up to, it was totally worth it.

And, it's easy to take Banks' work for granted, but he is just so awesome in this.
    Last edited by Russ; 03-31-2015 at 05:53 PM.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

I should say that the one thing that's been overlooked in this thread and in reviews throughout is the breakthrough performance from Rhea Seehorn. I think she's fantastic.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

I commented on Kim on the last page (i.e., my reference to the scene in the nail salon and, later on in the post, the character more generally, etc.), but I didn't explicitly talk about Seehorn's performance. I agree; it's good. I'm not necessarily astounded by her contributions just yet, but I have no substantial complaints. There was a bit of awkwardness early on (see: the scene where Jimmy and Kim are in the Kettlemans' house after their apparent kidnapping). Still, I like the character a lot. I think this most recent episode was a strong example of Seehorn's talent.
    Last edited by Gittes; 04-05-2015 at 05:27 PM.

On another note, I like the contrast between Nacho's intimidating outward appearance and the almost dainty, light cadence of Michael Mando's voice. It's not something they planned for, I imagine, but it actually works, insofar as it accentuates his difference from the more conventional criminality that surrounds him. I mean, it's not the paranoiac aggression of Tuco nor the forbidding stoicism of, say, the Salamanca twins (or any number of background henchmen in this show and in Breaking Bad). As I saw someone else mention, he's like a mixture of Gus and Tuco, but even that doesn't quite seem like a perfect summary of the character. I know we've seen so little of him, but that won't stop me from speculating about his significance and why the soft-spoken voice is an interesting detail.

Ramble, ramble:

[
    ]
    Last edited by Gittes; 04-06-2015 at 08:56 PM.

Ending of the latest episode pretty on the nose. Maybe misdirection?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast