Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar

Game of Thrones (Season 4)

psyched

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

There are murmurs going around that, maybe, they're going to end the show with one or two, 100 million dollar each, theatrically released movies.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/66623
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

So great to have this back...hashtag team jaime.

Was interesting to see how the show presented Arya's satisfactory and disturbed sentiments at the same time, with the latter quality achieved principally through the music.

Worried for Shae. It seems unlikely that she'll make it through the whole series, but I'd been optimistic that her arc would be longer. The [
    ] of a link to Dinklage seems to foretell her demise this season.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Deadwood flashback, anyone?

It's been too long. I love this show.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    I was wondering from the start who the new brown haired guy was with Daenerys and looking online it looks like they recast Daario Naharis (blond haired guy before). But once I got past that it was fantastic. I'm Team Arya all the way.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Greyworm made sure to awkwardly call him by his full name in his first scene just to let viewers know that.

Michael Huisman is a big improvement over skinny Fabio, though. I like that guy a lot.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Greyworm made sure to awkwardly call him by his full name in his first scene just to let viewers know that.

Michael Huisman is a big improvement over skinny Fabio, though. I like that guy a lot.
    Yeah, Huisman is an upgrade for sure. I knew they were recasting Daario but I'd forgotten it was Huisman so that was a pleasant surprise. I hope that dude gets more work.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

I had no idea who he was until then. That seems weird that they recast him but a quick google shows that I guess he was cast in the new Transporter movie and he figured that would be a better career move...

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I think Dina and I laughed more often during the episode than during most recent comedies.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    It was good to see Arya the badass come into being.

Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    That was the highlight of the episode.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Thirdmango (view post)
    I didn't see that as so much badass -- the Hound's lines about eating every chicken in the place was -- but not Arya's actions. She attacked a man who had his back turned toward her, taunted him, killed him in cold blood, and seemed to delight in his death.

That's pretty much the exact opposite of the sort of thing her father taught in the first episode of the first season. It's a good turn for the character, but a decidedly dark turn.

- - - - -
    Masterful indeed, because there's so much at play during that wedding, but obviously overshadowed by the ending. Oberyn's subtle threatening of Cersei and Tywin was a huge moment, too, and my favorite line of the episode. Then there's Cersei's undermining of Margery, Jamie confronting Loras... Man.
    Oberon (more subtlety from George RR, I guess) told Tyrion that he suspected Tywin of orchestrating the rape and murder of his sister. Then, the next time we see him he goes up to Tywin and introduces the words rape and murder into the conversation within the first five seconds of the encounter. That's not quite what I'd call "subtle."

While we're on it, how exactly did this dude get invited to the wedding? This seems to be a land with strict, stultifying moral and social codes. The kind where people swear things like blood oaths before they breakfast in the morning.

"Oh hey Circe (haha get it? Still more subtlety from George), I say Circe, remember that time I had the Mountain rape and murder that girl? Be sure her brother is on the guest list. Because nothing could possibly go wrong by having that dude running around King's Landing."

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Oberon (more subtlety from George RR, I guess) told Tyrion that he suspected Tywin of orchestrating the rape and murder of his sister. Then, the next time we see him he goes up to Tywin and introduces the words rape and murder into the conversation within the first five seconds of the encounter. That's not quite what I'd call "subtle."

While we're on it, how exactly did this dude get invited to the wedding? This seems to be a land with strict, stultifying moral and social codes. The kind where people swear things like blood oaths before they breakfast in the morning.

"Oh hey Circe (haha get it? Still more subtlety from George), I say Circe, remember that time I had the Mountain rape and murder that girl? Be sure her brother is on the guest list. Because nothing could possibly go wrong by having that dude running around King's Landing."
    He wasn't supposed to come, the Prince of Dorne was. They are one of the great houses, Cersei's daughter (Myrcella) was to marry into their line to cement allegiances there during the war when all allies were a necessity.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Yeah they didn't say anything about it only being two more seasons.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

It's even possible the series will end before the books. I read something recently about Benioff and Weiss visiting Martin to discuss the story's endgame. Martin's just nowhere near finishing the books and the series isn't going to stop rolling to wait on him.
    last four:
    black widow - 8
    zero dark thirty - 9
    the muse - 7
    freaky - 7

now reading:
    lonesome dove - larry mcmurtry

Letterboxd
    The Harrison Marathon - A Podcast About Harrison Ford

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Here's a good rundown of the possibilities if Martin can't get the final two books finished in time:

http://www.avclub.com/article/george...ame-thr-202330

EDIT: Whoops, wrong article. That's the one where Martin is optimistic he can finish before the show. He hints that he's already close to done with book six.

I think a prequel season, even a shortened one that's only 6-8 episodes covering stuff like the Mad King's reign would be amazing. I don't see HBO going for that, though.

I'm wondering what other moves HBO will do once Netflix catches up from a subscriber count. More and more leave cable and go to Netflix-

Fun Fact, 28.41% of cable, satellite subscribers also subscribe to HBO. *about 32 million* That's actually a lot higher than I thought.

Likely because the series tries to present the events in chronological order, while the books were not written that way.

Likely because the series tries to present the events in chronological order, while the books were not written that way.
    What I find problematic is having multiple major characters off elsewhere throughout an entire series. And also the incredibly slow progression of major plot threads. The restructuring of the books is a good thing. I enjoy the series much more than the books since I don't have to read endless descriptions of blood oranges.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Yeah, I wasn't completely paying attention, and then it was: "Wait, what did she say?!"
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

In season 2, the Battle of Blackwater episode aired on Memorial Day weekend and it had the lowest rating of the season despite the hype. The Memorial Day drop off in viewership is certainly real. Most networks experience about 20% decline.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast