View Poll Results: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yay

2 33.33%
  • Nay

4 66.67%

Thread: The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty (Ben Stiller)

The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty (Ben Stiller)

The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty

Director: Ben Stiller

imdb

Really don't dig it at all how this movie uses the themes of "live for the moment" and "don't be afraid to take chances" as a means to promote and support drunk driving. The fact that the movie also ends with a major plot hole was also bothersome, but outside of that, I suppose this was decent, though I can see myself coming to dislike it more as it sinks in.

I also found it curious that they got away with the phrases "kick ass", "don't be a dick", and "holy shit!" in a PG rated movie...

Best Boy
    :|

needs therapy, maybe. NickGlass's Avatar
    So earnest. So dorky. So interminable.

As I joked before, I'm so glad that Walter Mitty could confirm his emancipation by changing his wardrobe to a Buzzcocks shirt and skinny jeans. Not a film for me.
    I'm writing for Slant Magazine now, so check out my list of reviews.

Hopefully I'll have the energy to update my signature soon.

Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I also found it curious that they got away with the phrases "kick ass", "don't be a dick", and "holy shit!" in a PG rated movie...
    When I was growing up, PG meant moderate cursing was allowed and though "dick" was not so common, the others wouldn't have been out of place. There's this weird idea that G is supposed to be 100% baby-friendly and PG is supposed to be largely the same but maybe someone has a gun and someone says "hell."

There was a movie with posters in every theater called "Kick Ass" a couple years ago.

Meanwhile, haven't seen this. May see it after theaters at some point.

Part of me wanted to like this because of how earnest it is in it's approach, but ultimately it's too on the nose and rote. For starters I guessed the wallet plot line immediately, so the central mystery is a bust. The whole film also feels like an ode to Ben Stiller's ego, particularly the reveal of the lost shot. And as noted above, that reveal creates a major and obvious plot hole.

The one aspect I did quite like was the whole ode to a dying age angle. The move towards digital is definitely fertile soil for a new Sunset Boulevard-esque examination of the ever changing world... hopefully some other film will cultivate that terrain in a more accomplished manner.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    I liked this even though there were two absolutely terrible moments ([
    ])which almost took me completely away from the movie. I loved the skateboarding in Iceland scene. Oddly I think this movie wouldn't have worked as much as it did for me had I not been running while watching it. I was on the elliptical while watching it so a lot of the more scenic moments really clicked for me. I've had a theory about running while watching movies for a little while but that's for another time.

Also I will say about the technology angle, I liked the little jabs with thing like random people saying hey let's be facebook friends, I found that to be a delightful little twist to the idea. I didn't see the shot 25 thing coming, but I wasn't really thinking about it.