• Nay

7 63.64%

Thread: Carrie (Kimberly Peirce)

Carrie (Kimberly Peirce)

CARRIE

Director: Kimberly Peirce

imdb

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    Although this was just fine and in many ways a missed opportunity, it is still a heartbreaking story about a girl being tortured by the two worst things in modern American life: religion and high school. Meh. I liked it but I can't get over how sloppy it is.

I thought this movie was pretty awesome. Pretty much exactly what I had hoped and expected it to be, with another great performance from Chloe Moretz.

Edit: Full review

A grotesque high school mock show, CW network Jacobean theater. Creepy and satisfying as so. Episodic drama absurdity wrapped in a surprisingly adept cinematic bow.

Certainly the best thing in recent times and that we can expect coming out of the Hollywood horror profit margin machine. While I'd guess post-produced to within an inch of its life, Peirce - who I've never seen a film from - is after things here, dramatically and aesthetically, and it's too bad her aspirations fall quite neatly along the lines of those of the audience and the studio, making all its feminist and human interest perversions find their home in an absurdly satisfying bit of big budget escapism.

First half is solid, loses footing and dramatic aptitude around Tommy's invitation, ends with the horror kicks and a way-too-pretty Sue Snell.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Bosco B Thug (view post)
    CW network Jacobean theater.
    Niiiiiiice!

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I've never actually seen the original movie or read the book by Stephen King, so I can't say how this compares to those.
    Dude.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Dude.
    *shrug*

Ugh, bad. Its like the original Carrie, with 95% less Brian De Palma.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Nay / mixed. I ultimately wouldn't recommend the film to other people, mostly because it never finds its own way to approach the material, instead mostly just reincorporating moment after moment from de Palma's film (which was hardly a precise adaptation of King's novel), albeit with a Hollywood polish. At the same time, the film finds some great opportunities for Moretz and Moore to flex their muscles, and the story, even in a slightly diluted form (it's telling that this is more violent and less sexual than the 70s original) still carries some of the tragic tension that makes the story linger so long after its initial release forty-odd years ago. Is it condescending to say that, despite my not liking the film, there's nothing to be ashamed of here?