Page 606 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 1065065565966046056066076086166567061106 ... LastLast
Results 15,126 to 15,150 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

Finished the first Mass Effect today. Not really understanding the ultra-hype for this series so far. I'm assuming the second entry in this series is a hands-down improvement?

PROS
    + The story is involving right from the start. Like the interaction you have with it and how you can shape your character with the paragon/renegade system. This is quite possibly the most cinematic video game I've ever played (aside from Xenosaga), but for this game, it works. I think this is the only game I've ever played where I was actually curious enough to probe characters about backstory and learn a bit more about the world.

+Battle system is fun and unlike any other title in this genre. Adjustable difficultly is a welcome feature. I am not ashamed to admit I turned it down to easy a handful of times.

+Graphics and backdrops for the main mission worlds are impressive.

CONS
    -The simplicity of the battle system really makes the different classes of characters blend together. Could have used a wider ability chart or better customization options. Dragon Age's system worked this out to much greater effect (no pun intended).

-Mako controls are pretty bad. I hated being stuck in that thing. I know I wasn't forced to use it, but walking those distances wouldn't have been much fun either.

-Exploring space is not nearly as fun as it should have been. Entire planets are reduced to one small map (with a possible mini-dungeon) and terrains start looking the same. My motivation to complete sidequests was very low. This "scale for the sake of scale" setting was reminiscent of traveling across Windwaker's sea.

-Length of elevator rides....is this really necessary?

So I guess my bottom line is that I enjoyed the main story and the bulk of what the game had to offer, but this wasn't really the kind of game that paid off to immerse yourself in. I'll more than likely be picking up the sequel in time for ME3's release unless all of you tell me it gets worse from here...

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    The Mako is pretty much gone away with in 2 and the elevator rides were to cover up loading times. I loved Mass Effect 1 but I consider 2 to be a better game.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

2 improves on all the cons you addressed. It's one of my favorite games.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Mass Effect 2 is definitely the better game, though I hope the third one has a stronger sense of overall narrative.

Glad to hear. That seems to be the common opinion.

One more CON:
    -Where are the epic boss battles to match the cinematic scope of this game? The Thorian had me excited that they were finally throwing a giant alien monster at me, but I never got to fight it head-on. The largest creatures you ever encounter are the Thresher Maws (sp?) on sidequest planets. End boss was lame.

Finally made some progress in zelda: ocarina of time. The game is actually fairly vague and challenging in terms of informing the player what to do next. There is a vague sense of direction provided but beyond that, it's all a matter of exploration. I was getting frustrated with my limited ability to dive (only 3 seconds) , but lo and behold, accepting a stupid diving challenge from one of the zohra's has yielded a special gill that extends it to 6 seconds. And of course, now I can't wait to return to all the diving spots!!

It's special to see all those locations I still sort of remember from 12, 13 years ago on the N64. Time fucking flies guys.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Like I said before I usually don't play demos but I heard there was unlockable main game stuff in the Amalur demo (not to mention stuff for ME3) so I just played through it. I thought it was great. Fun combat, colorful environments and I made it through like 6-7 quests in the demo time.
    TV Recently Finished:

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

I wonder if he's compensating for something....?
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    I wonder if he's compensating for something....?
    She.

But I have bigger ones.

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    !!!!!!!!
    I'm kinda split, I enjoyed the trailer a lot but wish for a more traditional Resident Evil game as well. The scenes with Leon at the start kinda brought memories of RE2, but then Chris shows up and everything goes boom.

Quote Quoting KK2.0 (view post)
    I'm kinda split, I enjoyed the trailer a lot but wish for a more traditional Resident Evil game as well. The scenes with Leon at the start kinda brought memories of RE2, but then Chris shows up and everything goes boom.
    This seems to be the consensus at the moment, but I never really had this feeling while playing Resident evil 5. I thought it was a kickass sequel which merely continued onwards from the fourth iteration, itself a more action-packed offering than the first three and universally loved by everyone. Still, there's no reason Capcom couldn't attempt a best of both worlds thing here. I mean, they must have been aware of some of the vitriol hurled at part five.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    This seems to be the consensus at the moment, but I never really had this feeling while playing Resident evil 5. I thought it was a kickass sequel which merely continued onwards from the fourth iteration, itself a more action-packed offering than the first three and universally loved by everyone. Still, there's no reason Capcom couldn't attempt a best of both worlds thing here. I mean, they must have been aware of some of the vitriol hurled at part five.
    Just as long as you're saying that 4 was universally loved by everyone, not 5....
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Resident Evil is one of my favorite gaming series and 4 is by far my least favorite. I just replayed it when it was re-released on 360 recently to see if my opinion changed and it hadn't I liked it even less.
    TV Recently Finished:

I like some of the RE games and 4 is my favorite; 5 is my least favorite. I haven't played some of them, like the light gun games.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I like some of the RE games and 4 is my favorite; 5 is my least favorite. I haven't played some of them, like the light gun games.
    I meant the main game series not the little side shoot stuff.
    TV Recently Finished:

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Just as long as you're saying that 4 was universally loved by everyone, not 5....
    That's what I was saying.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    My favorite Resident Evil is the RE1 remake for the GC, which fleshes out the original game in innumerably clever ways, and it's fucking gorgeous and scary to boot, followed probably by RE2, which I must have played through a dozen times through its various scenarios back in the day. RE4 was a pretty great game, but I've never been compelled to play it again after that single run-through, I haven't played RE5 but I watched my former roommates playing it co-op and it just looked like a generic action game, RE3 was okay but kinda uninspired in my estimation, ditto RE0.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

I just finished Super Mario Galaxy with 120 stars, and I'm very satisfied, as this was an obvious improvement over the sporadically brilliant but very flawed Super Mario Sunshine. There is still room for improvement though, particularly in its sometimes-uninspired methods of padding out the game to 120 stars, especially with some of the special comet zones appearing tossed-off and thus feeling merely tedious.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Did anyone play the Dual Shock edition of the Resident Evil Director's Cut for the PS1? Everyone hated its updated soundtrack, but I actually really liked it.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

When I get the Wii U l'll probably buy super mario galaxy 2 and the Metroid Prime collection as I understood the Wii U to be backwards compatible.

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Resident Evil franchise is my favorite franchise. I like how we are going back to some real zombies.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Couple of free games headin my way

Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

The bugs are starting to get a little more aggravating in "Dead Island". A lot of inventory bugs - unable to pick up another med kit because my inventory is full, even though I already have a medkit slot (where it should just add another one); quests disappearing off my quest list.

Also, the pacing is pretty bad. I've been directed to corridor-shooter sewer levels three times in the last two hours. Starting to remind me of "Half Life 2: Episode 1".

But, despite these problems, I still cannot agree with Yahtzee Croshaw and others that it's one of the worst games of last year. The zombie killing is incredibly satisfying particularly with the dismemberment system, and creating / modifying weapons is super cool.

My favorite weapon at the moment is a machete which I put the "shock mod" on, so if I get a critical hit the enemy flails around in a huge, smoking, electrocuted mess.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Oh and the new X-Box next fall may be the first time I buy a system right at release.

I've usually waited for a system to be a couple of years old before I purchased it, but this one sounds pretty awesome right off the bat.

Can't wait to see what it's capable of.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."