Page 518 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 184184685085165175185195205285686181018 ... LastLast
Results 12,926 to 12,950 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

I think I'm near the end of Dead Space 2. This has been a nerve-wrecking experience so far and fairly long too. Glad it's almost over, I've had enough of horror for a while. What to play next though?

Splinter Cell: Conviction? Vanquish? Assassin's Creed 2? Just Cause 2? Red Faction Guerilla? Alan Wake? Halo Reach? Battlefield: Bad Company 2? Medal Of Honor? Castlevania: Lord of Shadow? Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions? Prototype? Darksiders? Infamous? Heavy Rain?

I guess I'm spoiled for choice.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    I think I'm near the end of Dead Space 2. This has been a nerve-wrecking experience so far and fairly long too. Glad it's almost over, I've had enough of horror for a while. What to play next though?

Splinter Cell: Conviction? Vanquish? Assassin's Creed 2? Just Cause 2? Red Faction Guerilla? Alan Wake? Halo Reach? Battlefield: Bad Company 2? Medal Of Honor? Castlevania: Lord of Shadow? Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions? Prototype? Darksiders? Infamous? Heavy Rain?

I guess I'm spoiled for choice.
    iNfamous >>>>>>>>>>>>> Prototype
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Assassin's Creed II > Infamous

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Assassin's Creed II > Infamous
    Haven't played. Stealth games tend to frustrate me. I like explodey.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Haven't played. Stealth games tend to frustrate me. I like explodey.
    I picked it up for $10 on PSN. Not crazy stealthy. The combat isn't difficult, and its kind of entertaining.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Assassin's Creed is about as stealthy as Arkham Asylum.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Assassin's Creed is about as stealthy as Arkham Asylum.
    This is the correct answer.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

This may be, but I had a blast with Prototype.

- - - - -
    Anyone here into Civilization?

I keep wondering if I should buy Civ 5. The reviews are mixed and the stuff people have written on Amazon make it sound like the game sucks for fans of the original franchise (no religion? no spies? wtf?).

This review on Joystiq is more measured, and now I'm wondering again if I should drop the $50:

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/17/ci...tion-5-review/

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Irish (view post)

I keep wondering if I should buy Civ 5. The reviews are mixed and the stuff people have written on Amazon make it sound like the game sucks for fans of the original franchise (no religion? no spies? wtf?).

This review on Joystiq is more measured, and now I'm wondering again if I should drop the $50:

I was obsessed with Civ IV for a few months. Haven't played V yet. Haven't anything of recent except for DNF and Portal 2.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

I played Civ V... some of the stuff they removed is missed, but most of the new stuff is wonderful. They've just released a brand new patch with loads of tweaks and fixes, too.

nightmare investigator monolith94's Avatar
    I can as easily recommend getting into the Civilization series as I can recommend getting into crack-cocaine.
    "Modern weapons can defend freedom, civilization, and life only by annihilating them. Security in military language means the ability to do away with the Earth."
    -Ivan Illich, Deschooling Society

I played the hell out of Civ 2 and Civ 4. I couldn't get into Civ 5 at all - seemed all dumbed down and moving units was a chore because you could only have 1 unit in a hex at a time (at least most of the time) - so if you have 2 units ordered to move a long distance one would get in the other's way and the other would take a worse route. When I found that such a simple concept as unit movement was screwed up I just couldn't continue.

I've been playing Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery) - not that great of a game but it's very addicting.

Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    moving units was a chore because you could only have 1 unit in a hex at a time (at least most of the time) - so if you have 2 units ordered to move a long distance one would get in the other's way and the other would take a worse route. When I found that such a simple concept as unit movement was screwed up I just couldn't continue.
    Well, I have always hated the "stacks of doom" myself... I haven't done much combat in Civ V but I don't think they necessarily screwed it up. It depends on what one likes about a game. I, for one, hate combat and always try to avoid it.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Yxklyx (view post)
    I played the hell out of Civ 2 and Civ 4. I couldn't get into Civ 5 at all - seemed all dumbed down and moving units was a chore because you could only have 1 unit in a hex at a time (at least most of the time) - so if you have 2 units ordered to move a long distance one would get in the other's way and the other would take a worse route. When I found that such a simple concept as unit movement was screwed up I just couldn't continue.
    To ETMs point, I love the idea that "stacks of doom" aren't possible though (and that ranged units are now actually ranged).

I played the hell out of Civ 2, 3, and a little bit of 4 (too much micromanagement). Loved Alpha Centauri the most, though.

I've heard some people complain Civ 5 was "dumbed down," others said it was a combination of Civ 4 and Civ Revolutions (which I wouldn't mind too much; I played Revolutions a bit on my phone and liked it for what it was).

Thanks for your response, and thanks to everyone else who responded too.

The Amazon rating (2 stars?!) scared me off but I think the reviews and what people said have sold me on it. I'll probably grab a copy when I get a chance. It's Civ, after all. Bad Civ is probably better than no Civ.

I've heard some people complain Civ 5 was "dumbed down," others said it was a combination of Civ 4 and Civ Revolutions (which I wouldn't mind too much; I played Revolutions a bit on my phone and liked it for what it was).
    They redesigned the UI with ideas from Revolutions. I thought I wouldn't like it, but it works surprisingly well. It hasn't been dumbed down at all - everything is there, but it's just much cleaner looking overall. I adjusted virtually in no time.

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting [ETM] (view post)
    They redesigned the UI with ideas from Revolutions. I thought I wouldn't like it, but it works surprisingly well. It hasn't been dumbed down at all - everything is there, but it's just much cleaner looking overall. I adjusted virtually in no time.
    Yeah, the UI looks pretty sweet. I meant dumbed down in terms of content: removing religion, caravans, espionage, government, etc.

Some of the changes seem good, others I'm not sure about. Civ Revolutions was fun, but there were a lot of times I was just slapping "Next Turn" because there wasn't enough to do. I'm hoping Civ 5 strikes a balance somewhere between that and the insane level of micromanagement Civ 4 seemed to require.

If you don't mind followup questions:

- How does it play on your machine? I heard the thing was a beast in terms of minimum requirements.

- Have you played much at higher difficulties? One of the things that used to annoy me in Civ 3 was that it was virtually impossible to win by any way but domination (ie, conquest & total war), because the enemy AI (especially that little shit Gandhi) was far too aggressive the higher the difficulty rating.

I almost never play video games, but while going through stuff about a week back I found a copy of Overlord I bought for my PC back in the day. I don't know why I bought it. I probably played it for twenty minutes and forgot about it.

Anyway, I popped it in and I'm enjoying it a lot. Seriously fun.
    ...and the milk's in me.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Ehhh. Hm. Okay...

"Shadows of the Damned" looks so fun and hilarious. every second line is a dick joke.

There's a part where you're in a boss fight, you shoot the boss, and he says:

"Your gun does not have adequate -"

*camera zooms in to extreme close up of his face*

"-PENETRATION!"
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    "Shadows of the Damned" looks so fun and hilarious. every second line is a dick joke.

There's a part where you're in a boss fight, you shoot the boss, and he says:

"Your gun does not have adequate -"

*camera zooms in to extreme close up of his face*

"-PENETRATION!"
    Sounds like Bulletstorm and Duke Nukem.

One of the guns is called The Huge Erection or something.

ugh.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Sounds like Bulletstorm and Duke Nukem.

One of the guns is called The Huge Erection or something.

ugh.

This is much more appealing than "Duke Nukem", because it doesn't assume that a reference = comedy.

Plus it's supposed to be a fun game to play.

Are you not a Suda 51 fan?

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Are you not a Suda 51 fan?
    I like some of his games, but I'm getting tired of this forced juvenile humor in games.

Eh, like I said, at least this game is supposed to be, you know, fun to play.

Unlike that other recent release with juvenile humor.

I heard Bulletstorm was a blast to play, but that dialog completely turned me off from every even trying it.