Page 266 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 166216256264265266267268276316366766 ... LastLast
Results 6,626 to 6,650 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

Quote Quoting Amnesiac (view post)
    Nah, I don't think there is. They're still planning on releasing Episode 3 and that's about as much as Valve has said in regards to the future of the series, I believe. That logo on the first picture is just something that was slapped onto there by whoever put it together.

It would be so incredible if a third game came out, though. Those screens really do look great.

I have ot jump on the bandwagon and say "HL2" is one of the best games ever.

And not to keep harping on it, but "Batman: Arkham Asylum" is up there too. Pay attention to pacing in games? This one, like "Shadow Complex" and other "Metroid"-style action/adventure games, has the player constantly picking up new, useful items that unlock areas of the map which were previously unreachable. Every few minutes you're accomplishing something of great value, and every 15-20 minutes you're unlocking something new - a new gadget, a new place you can go, a new variation on the detective visor.

It's just an impeccably crafted game.

Free-flow combat has to be one of the greatest innovations in video game hand-to-hand combat ever.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    It would be so incredible if a third game came out, though. Those screens really do look great.

I have ot jump on the bandwagon and say "HL2" is one of the best games ever.
    Most definitely.

Quote Quoting Amnesiac (view post)
    Most definitely.

Again, wonderful pacing.

No section seems unreasonably long, and there's always something new and engaging happening not only in the story but in the gameplay.

And I love how (if I remember correctly) there aren't really any cut-scenes until the end. All of the story is communicated while you're in first-person and still in complete control. So the immersion is never broken at all.

And I love how (if I remember correctly) there aren't really any cut-scenes until the end. All of the story is communicated while you're in first-person and still in complete control. So the immersion is never broken at all.
    I've always admired this about the game and its episodes. I mean, it really wouldn't be Half-Life otherwise. I think Valve pretty much started this trend, too. Ah, so much to admire. The game showcases such marvelous voice acting... whoever handled Breen, for instance, was just great. Not to mention great writing, superb atmosphere, and a totally intriguing and compelling story. And it's a game that actually lived up to its colossal hype. It's pretty much my favorite game of all time.

And, yep, the pacing is pretty top notch.

downloading Batman Arkham Asylum. And I'm not even that big of a batman fan!
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Good god. They make you control a helpless 8 year old Bruce Wayne as his parents get shot. That's so unnecessarily awesome.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Good god. They make you control a helpless 8 year old Bruce Wayne as his parents get shot. That's so unnecessarily awesome.

[
    ]

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Loved that part.

Was playing a little bit AA again yesterday and have to say that I love Hamill's voicework in this game. One of my favorite lines is when you die and Joker says "someone finish him off" in that sinister voice. So awesome.

Easy on the spoilers guys.

I know they're not Aeris level spoilers, but not everyone has the game.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Saya (view post)
    Loved that part.

Was playing a little bit AA again yesterday and have to say that I love Hamill's voicework in this game. One of my favorite lines is when you die and Joker says "someone finish him off" in that sinister voice. So awesome.
    The only problem I have with that line is that Joker would never say that. He wants to be the one who kills Batman.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    The only problem I have with that line is that Joker would never say that. He wants to be the one who kills Batman.

A little picky, no?

A little picky, no?
    Maybe. It's completely out of character though. Joker's defining characteristic is his obesession with Batman and how he wants to best him. He wouldn't think one of his random goons were worthy of the honor.
    TV Recently Finished:

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting EyesWideOpen (view post)
    Maybe. It's completely out of character though. Joker's defining characteristic is his obesession with Batman and how he wants to best him. He wouldn't think one of his random goons were worthy of the honor.

I was always under the impression Joker wouldn't kill Batman at all. He loves playing games with him. He'll terrorize him, hurt him, tear his psyche apart, torture him in every way...but he'd never kill him, because he just has so much damn fun with him.

But yeah, I really can't care too much about that line. I find that level of pickiness and "THIS is how it should be!" to be the absolute most annoying characteristic in fanboys of any kind, whether it be superheroes, manga, Star Wars/Trek or whatever.

Don't get me wrong I still loved the game and it didn't hamper my enjoyment one bit, I just thought the line was poorly thought out once I heard it.
    TV Recently Finished:

"Halo 3: ODST"

I'm not even a big "Halo" fan, but that's pretty fuckin incredible.

Yeah, Joker's existence is to make Batman miserable, but never kill him.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Got two new Wii games today.

First one is House of the Dead: Overkill. I wasn't expecting much, but really really like it so far. The presentation has a lot of humor and is made in the exploitation movie style. The gameplay is fast and fun and the guns feel good. However, if you don't like swear words, do not play this game. To my surprise this game is filled with f-bombs. Personally, I don't care but other people might. I'll play some more later.

I also got Muramasa: The Demon Blade today. Damn, this game looks good. I've only played the first level so far, and it was alright. The gameplay seems a bit repetitive, but the game looks and feels so good that I don't care for the repetitiveness yet. I'm playing with Momohime right now and the start of the game you can pick between two characters. I think they also have different storylines.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked House of the Dead Overkill. But I did have problems with how downright laggy the game is and the somewhat unresponsive lightgun controls. A game that requires quick reflexes and precision like that cannot have issues like that. Ghost Squad is the perfect example of how a light gun game should be on the Wii, you don't even need the aiming reticle for that game.

Quote Quoting Justin (view post)
    Don't get me wrong, I really liked House of the Dead Overkill. But I did have problems with how downright laggy the game is and the somewhat unresponsive lightgun controls. A game that requires quick reflexes and precision like that cannot have issues like that. Ghost Squad is the perfect example of how a light gun game should be on the Wii, you don't even need the aiming reticle for that game.
    That is true, I've noticed that lag too. I also had a weird bug happen in the carnival level, all the zombies were standing still while doing their walking animation.

Hmm, I'll check out Ghost Squad. Should be cheap by now. Have you played that Resident Evil lightgun game?

Finished GOW: Chains of Olympus on vacation, playing Crisis Core, it's a blast, though a tad random. Also picked up Force Unleashed yesterday...played a couple levels, not bad.

So, I was playing the Batman Arkham Assylum demo last night. It was pretty awesome - especially the part at the very beginning where you are in the open area and the goons come out of their cells and then the game freezes and your XBox red-rings. Very effective trap laid by the Joker, that!
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting Saya (view post)
    That is true, I've noticed that lag too. I also had a weird bug happen in the carnival level, all the zombies were standing still while doing their walking animation.

Hmm, I'll check out Ghost Squad. Should be cheap by now. Have you played that Resident Evil lightgun game?
    Yeah, I got Ghost Squad for under 15 bucks, well worth every penny. I have not played the Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles yet, I have been close to buying it a couple of times, I have heard good things though.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    "Halo 3: ODST"

I'm not even a big "Halo" fan, but that's pretty fuckin incredible.
    That match-cut of the scarred face is terrific. Screw the game, I want this to be a preview for a film.

My favorite part of Arkham Asylum (yes, I've finished it):

[
    ]
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Something I consistently love in "Arkham Asylum" is how it turns stealth combat on its side.

Before now, stealth has almost always been about making you feel quite vulnerable. You need to stick to the shadows, go about things slowly and surely in order to stay alive.

But no, in this game, you are the predator. You set traps, pull inverted takedowns and silent maneuvers. But it's not just to save yourself (because, admittedly, if a room is full of guys with guns you cannot take them head-on)...it's because you're the ultimate silent predator and these guys are terrified of YOU.

It's awesome.