Page 174 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 741241641721731741751761842242746741174 ... LastLast
Results 4,326 to 4,350 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

The best moments of my childhood took place in an arcade. It was when I was first exposed to Mortal Kombat and how I would spend hours and hours mastering every move. Then it moved to Street Fighter II, then X-Men Children of the Atom, then X-Men vs. Street Fighter, and then to the greatest arcade game of them all, Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

Of course I also played the classics like X-Men, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Gauntlet Legends, The Simpsons, NFL Blitz, etc.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Sycophant (view post)
    Well, I think I stared at the screens of a light gun game once at the mall when I was like 7. And at 4 I think I put a quarter in a Ms. Pac-Man machine at a dentist's office?

Otherwise, yeah, totally serious.

Interesting.

Arcades were our main hangouts in high school. There were three within walking distance on the main drag where everyone cruised on Friday and Saturday nights. During the second heyday, the SF vs. MK era, the three arcades got involved in a massive token war; at one point we were getting 15 tokens for a dollar. We would just all hang out at which ever arcade had the best deals, or, more importantly, the cleanest best-working SFII cabs. I smoked my first cigarettes at an arcade, met a couple of girl friends there, and met all of my friends whom with I would go on to start bands with.

I've been toying with the idea for the last decade or so of writing a long essay about how SFII changed my life. A lot of what I am into or have today can somehow be traced back to playing SFII in the arcades. It's a time of my life on which I look back on with great fondness. I met so many cool people and had so much fun at Arcades. I really miss them now.

I was incredibly sad when I read that Pac Man Arcade in Pasadena CA had closed down. That was the last bastion of classic arcade gaming that I know of.

hated playing fighting games at arcades since i sucked at those

loved playing beat em ups though

"Marvel vs. Capcom"...that brings back some memories.

Speaking of which, with those being such popular, beloved games, what the hell was everyone complaining about when "MK vs. DC" was announced? It's exactly the same principle.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

I think the big MKvsDS outcry stemmed from the fact it was a neutered verison of a Mortal Kombat game? At least that was the perception?

Which is to say they thought it was pretty cool until they found out you couldn't rip out Batman's spine.

I think the big MKvsDS outcry stemmed from the fact it was a neutered verison of a Mortal Kombat game? At least that was the perception?

Which is to say they thought it was pretty cool until they found out you couldn't rip out Batman's spine.

No a lot of people were shitting themselves with outrage from day one, before anyone was told anything about the game or its rating.

Oh. I don't know then.

Guess I just remember what the final NERD RAGE cry was about.

The rage was in regards to it being a neutered Mortal Kombat game.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    The rage was in regards to it being a neutered Mortal Kombat game.
    Yeah. No fatalities, low gore, and such.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

No, people here weren't happy about it when we didn't even know what the rating was.

I'm going to go searching back in this thread, too, so I can grab more quotes.

I'm pretty sure it was just Mortal Kombat fans (who, by the way, are crazy and should be ignored anyways) freaking out because the brand new MK game was not going to be an actual MK game. This was supposed to be MK5, after all, and instead they announce it's vs. DC Universe. The problem is not the concept itself, but that the concept is not MK5.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Starts here with this post from Saya. E posts a to indicate something along the lines of "OH SWEET MAYBE?" A couple posts later you're like "Hey that sounds sweet." Then EWO points out on that very same day that they're going for a T rating so goodbye gore, which he cites as why the game's gonna be lame. bac0n concurs. E's disappointed.

Then a few days later eternity posted about it in that thread you pointed to and you complained because you posted about it first in the VGDT.

Maybe you can point to a trend in the rest of the Internet, though.

I stand corrected.

I still haven't played the game, yet. I want to.

And I'd play "MK5" if it ever happened.

I misremembered a bit, but yeah, it was largely MK fans freaking out about the game breaking canon.

I was trying to recall a thread on RT about it, where someone was explaining the rationale behind MK fandom and why a DC Universe crossover would piss them off. I found the post I was attempting to recall:

"Continuity is extremely important to MK fans(but not Midway). The mythology, not blood, is probably the favorite part for most. They're obsessive about fighting over which endings are canon! They think it's like genius storytelling. They're sort of like Sonic fans. That's why it's going to be so awesome if these rumors are true. After 2 years of talking about MK Armageddon the follow up might be a teen rated non canon "dream match" game! There will be a collective meltdown at MK forums. All of MKonline should be on suicide watch Wednesday. Please be true!"

It was supposed to be MK8, I guess (not 5). Shows how much attention I actually gave to this or MK in general (none, beyond the amusement to the announcement's reactions).

Supposedly the meltdown on MKonline was delicious.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

It's amazing how much sadness the words "Sonic fans" can instill in me.

Strong work on the archival skills Syco.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Duke.

This is a message board.

Read other people's messages.

I mean.

I posted a list of what I'm playing (with comments!) on this very page.

What.
    I'm sorry, I completely missed it. Jeeze.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Beyond Good & Evil: Started playing it to go along with Michael Abbot's Brainy Gamer Vintage Game Club, but have been reticent to join in the discussion over there as most participants' idea of discussion and criticism is basically "they did this wrong" and "they should've done this." But I don't really have any such compalints. The game is gorgeous (the art direction is superb) and its atmosphere and mechanics are spot-on. I'm probably about halfway through and it's definitely one of the most interesting games I"ve played.
    Lost Vikings: This game is so good and it's kicking my ass so hard. I'm stuck on one level and am not sure I'm ever going to pass it.
    I'm actually in the middle of this game too. I can't seem to find the interest to finish it however. I'm stuck at the pedestrian district. I need to finish it before the sequel comes out.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Skate 2 is a lot of fun, one great thing is they improved the skate reel feature. Here is a pretty nice gap I did earlier.

http://skatereel.ea.com/members/1/624256/220287.aspx

I will say though the whole get off your board aspect is very clunky, as you cannot walk backwards or strafe, only go forwards.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    He reviews the very worst of classic games, and has an incredibly foul mouth.

This is his website - click on the "Angry Nintendo Nerd" section on the banner.
    I just like seeing him point out the ridiculousness, but then he talks about diarrhea stains and what-have-you, and I get irritated.

Voltage!!!
    Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I just like seeing him point out the ridiculousness, but then he talks about diarrhea stains and what-have-you, and I get irritated.
    Yup, when he starts his tantrums, he's annoying. He's not at all funny, but I like it when he just talks about the game.
    "Listen man, it might be hard to understand, but
    Don't mourn the dead,
    Celebrate the life they gave"
    - Kashmir "Seraphina"

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    The best moments of my childhood took place in an arcade. It was when I was first exposed to Mortal Kombat and how I would spend hours and hours mastering every move. Then it moved to Street Fighter II, then X-Men Children of the Atom, then X-Men vs. Street Fighter, and then to the greatest arcade game of them all, Marvel vs. Capcom 2.
    I still vividly remember when I first set foot in London's two storey Trocadero arcade. This was 1992 and it was during a school trip. Mortal Kombat, Virtua Racing, Total motherfucking Carnage, Smash TV, Streetfighter 2, Starblade!!!!!!!!!!!

I was stupendously floored, telling my high school classmates the wonder that I had seen! They dismissed it of course, but we returned later and I got a few firm handshakes from those some bastids who now claimed that I was right and they were wrong.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

LOL, Bomberman maker Hudson targeted by mad bomber!!

http://kotaku.com/5144188/suspect-ar...blow-up-hudson
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

Kinda cool thing on TV last night.

On Heroes, Sylar went looking for his "dad" and found his watch shop. On the door of the watch shop was a picture of PipBoy from Fallout 3.

When he opened the door, "I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire" was playing and when he walked into the room, it looked like a scene from the game.

Pretty cool tribute/homage/whatever.

“What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”