Page 1204 of 1266 FirstFirst ... 2047041104115411941202120312041205120612141254 ... LastLast
Results 30,076 to 30,100 of 31646

Thread: Video Games...Discuss Them

Damn near got a case of the giggles during a 1.5hr Catholic (shoot me) wedding yesterday. Every damn time they ring their little bells I had flashbacks to Demons Souls and the Mind Flayers.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    So after 2.5 hours of Avengers prelude so I can play coop with my friends, my initial reactions are:

This game is way more polished and considered than I had ever thought possible.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    So after 2.5 hours of Avengers prelude so I can play coop with my friends, my initial reactions are:

I'm reading a lot of people saying the main game rocks but that the end game stuff is a mess and ruins it.

But you CAN play coop online?

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    But you CAN play coop online?
    Only specific missions I think? That's what I'm going to attempt tonight.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

- - - - -
    Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Every damn time they ring their little bells
    wtf post is this? i'll ring your bell, boy, just you wait

- - - - -
    So last night I decided to bite the bullet and get a Windows PC (my first). It took maybe 20 minutes to spec out a machine.

Then I decided to research monitors and fell into an absolutely hellish rabbit hole of professional reviews, youtube hype, and Amazon comments.

Here's what I've learned.

- The best monitor on any given list is always some 4k behemoth that boasts more colors than the human eye can see, with the ability to x-ray the way behind it and peer into the next room, but it costs $800 and draws so much power that the lights in your house will dim when you turn it on. But hey! It's 4k.

- The runner up will be $600 and have terrible built-in speakers. Some top Amazon reviewers will report it occasionally shocks them when they turn it on. Others say they've had no problems.

- You may want to buy a monitor based on your video card. Or buy a video card based on your monitor. (Any purchase involving NVidia and the word "sync" will be $100-200 more, just because).

- YouTubers have the pitch technique of used cars salesmen, but no matter how skilled, they can't hide that they're reading ad copy direct from the manufacturer. It doesn't really matter, though, because when you Google the display they recommend, it's always unavailable.

- TN panels ("gaming monitors") are an absolute must for the dozen people who play professional e-sports, but they may absolutely suck for anyone else.

- Forget TN panels! They're trash. What you really want is lower resolution, high refresh rate IPS, with more available ports than Hong Kong and an attached stand more flexible than a Romanian gymnast.

- Apparently nobody cares what anybody thinks, because number one best seller in Amazon's "computer monitors" category is a $90 1080p display that wouldn't look out of place in a dentist's office.

Heh, yeh. Whatever you do, don't look up optimizing video cards.

But that's awesome. Welcome to steam. Let me know when you make an account. Or if you need help actually choosing a monitor because you definitely don't need to spend a lot for it to look good.

- - - - -
    Heh, yeh. Whatever you do, don't look up optimizing video cards.

But that's awesome. Welcome to steam. Let me know when you make an account. Or if you need help actually choosing a monitor because you definitely don't need to spend a lot for it to look good.
    Would appreciate recommendations & would love to know your setup.

75% of my use is gonna be staring at a text or photo editor for hours and hours at a time, 25% is gonna be running the latest RPG or strategy game.

Quote Quoting Irish (view post)
    Would appreciate recommendations & would love to know your setup.

75% of my use is gonna be staring at a text or photo editor for hours and hours at a time, 25% is gonna be running the latest RPG or strategy game.
    IPS monitors are terrible for gaming, despite the high resolution.

If you're avoiding 4k gaming (I currently am, but I do game at 3440 x 1440 ) but still want a nice 120hz or 144hz monitor, there are plenty out there.

I run the Alienware 34 Curved Gaming Monitor - AW3420DW along with a cheap secondary monitor, so I can view twitch and OBS and stuff . Not cheap. But I am thoroughly convinced that G-Sync is an excellent feature if you are buying a monitor with it's capability and an nvidia video card to support it. YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT FRAME RATES. The monitor adjusts to whatever you PC is outputting so you never see screen tearing. It's brilliant.

So you can be running a low-medium build PC, and running ultra settings in a game which gets you 30-50 frames, and your picture will look as if it's running 60 FPS. It's very nice and stretches out the window of video card upgrading over a longer period of time.

But here is an example of a cheap 144hz monitor that will perform nicely when gaming.

It's max res is only 1080p, so you won't be able to play at 1440 (or 4K obviously), but i'm not sure what your PC specs are or if you would need that.

If you'd like more recommendations, need your budget and video card / CPU specs.

And to follow that up with one in the middle.

There's the Acer XB271HU which has the higher res, 1440 gaming and NVIDIA G SYNC.

I would probably but a swivel monitor so that if I play a vertically scrolling arcade shooter via emulation I'll have the right aspect ratio. Lol
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

I don't know anything about monitors but I inherited a Flatron ips235 LED from work and damned if I could see anything clearer. A quick google search tells me theres no reason to be spending 800$ if you can get a monitor like this for less than a hundred.

You guys...

So, this happened (spoilers for images; no RDR2 story spoilers):

Earlier during a debt collecting mission I killed Algie Davidson and spared his son, Nate. I went back a couple months later and Nate said he was ready for me this time, armed with a knife. I didn't want to kill him, so I ran, and he chased me. And he would not. stop. chasing. me. We ran around like that for a good 15 minutes until I decided to test how far Nate would go..

[
    ]

I ran him back to see if he would follow me off the side of Bard's Crossing, a fall I knew was survivable because I'd made it before...

[
    ]

What he did do...

[
    ]

But I figured there's no way he'd chase me across the river...

[
    ]

At that point, I was at a loss. I'd kept him on the line all this time by slow gaiting my horse and keeping him within about 100 yards of me. I figured if I just ran off quickly enough, lose sight of him on my mini-map, he'd despawn and it'd be over. But I did that, sat on the top of a hill scanning the horizon for a few minutes to make sure, and lo and behold...here comes Nate...

[
    ]

Nate Davidson is The Terminator.

All told, this was nearly 90 minutes of screwing around. I really do love this game.

That’s awesome. Went on a Dark Souls 3 bender after beating the epilogue missions for RDR2. Still have a couple animals and fish to get.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

- - - - -
    IPS monitors are terrible for gaming, despite the high resolution.

If you're avoiding 4k gaming (I currently am, but I do game at 3440 x 1440 ) but still want a nice 120hz or 144hz monitor, there are plenty out there.

I run the Alienware 34 Curved Gaming Monitor - AW3420DW along with a cheap secondary monitor, so I can view twitch and OBS and stuff . Not cheap. But I am thoroughly convinced that G-Sync is an excellent feature if you are buying a monitor with it's capability and an nvidia video card to support it. YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT FRAME RATES. The monitor adjusts to whatever you PC is outputting so you never see screen tearing. It's brilliant.

So you can be running a low-medium build PC, and running ultra settings in a game which gets you 30-50 frames, and your picture will look as if it's running 60 FPS. It's very nice and stretches out the window of video card upgrading over a longer period of time.
    HA! I knew you'd have something crazy cool. That's a little too much for the space I'm in (and waaaay beyond what I'm willing to spend).

I tend to go fast & cheap with electronics and try to get the most out of them I can.

I'm basing my build on NZXT's pre-mades, so something like:

- Intel Core i5-9400F 6-Core 2.9 GHz
    - GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC 6G
    - Team T-FORCE Vulcan Z 3200MHz (max speed) 16GB (2X8GB)
    - 1TB Intel 665p M.2 SSD

All the buzz is around AMD these days, so I might switch up, but with something like this I figure I can go for a 24" 1080p display running at 144mHz, or a 27" 1440p at 160-240 or more.

I wanted to go IPS or VA because everything I've read about TN panels makes it sound like their color reproduction sucks, and washed out or bad colors would just bum me out.

Figure I don't need 1ms response times to run a text editor or play stuff like Crusader Kings III and Disco Elysium.

Biggest problem is I don't really know where the line is, what would be overkill and what not.
    Last edited by Irish; 09-06-2020 at 11:09 PM.

That 24 inch I posted above is IPS and should suit you well.

AMD is the CPU king at the moment.

- - - - -
    That 24 inch I posted above is IPS and should suit you well.
    Fucking cooooooooool. Thanks!

Worth waiting for Black Friday to buy?

Fucking cooooooooool. Thanks!

Worth waiting for Black Friday to buy?
    Nah.

I always look at Black Friday the same as if you were going to an outlet story: I'm not looking for something specific, but if it's cheap enough I might buy it. At an outlet store, they never have your size or the color you want.

- - - - -
    Btw, what's the rest of your setup?

- - - - -
    One of the benefits of Amazon reviews is the ability to peek in on other people's lives, lol:

Btw, what's the rest of your setup?
    It's a 2017 built so it's not fancy by any means, plays everything I need to. When my lake house sells, I will probably opt for the 3090 and a new AMD build and use PC as my streaming PC.

- Intel Core i7-8700K 6-Core OCed to 4.1
    - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    - 32 GB RAM
    - 256GB Toshiba NVMe M.2
    -Three Samsung 1TB SSDs

- - - - -
    Nice! Might be an older build but still pretty f'ing slick.

(also totally knew you'd have something like a 1080 Ti in there, lol)