Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad (Season 5.5)

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Yeah, loved it. It did what Breaking Bad does best: ratcheting up tension to delivery some of the most entertaining and satisfying scenes on television - all packaged in magnificent acting, keen directorial choices, and beautiful photography.

But it wasn't perfect. They took some shortcuts in the writing and character choices that didn't feel fair given where we left last season.

[
    ]

And I know it is Jesse's M.O. but I'm a little tired of all the moping. Fantastically layered scene with him and Walt this episode, perfectly acted, but his character is feeling almost one-note in his guilt-addled state.

Great cold open as well. Very revealing and provocative. How the hell are we going to get from here to there in 7 more episodes? Anyone else suspicious that...

[
    ]
    [
    ]
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Oh man, I did. Legit typo, I assure you. I know how it's spelled.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Walt drove all the way from New Hampshire to New Mexico for the ricin. If it were for suicide intentions, that'd be the dumbest thing ever.

I don't think the Skyler-Walt conflict is at all over. The whole scene at the car wash was a little awkward between the two.

Jesse's character, on the other hand, makes sense to be moping over this time. In the span of 2-3 years (story time), he's killed one person in cold blood, and witnessed another being murdered for no reason, on top of everything else. He was already fragile to begin with. It's not as interesting to watch someone mope is all.

I like Walt taking on Gus' persona though.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I like Walt taking on Gus' persona though.
    Walt adopts the characteristics of the people he's killed. It's usually literal (he sees them do it, then imitates it after they're dead). I found it interesting that they included a symbolic parallel with the laying down a towel before vomiting. He never saw Gus do that.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Walt adopts the characteristics of the people he's killed. It's usually literal (he sees them do it, then imitates it after they're dead). I found it interesting that they included a symbolic parallel with the laying down a towel before vomiting. He never saw Gus do that.
    Ah good one. I never even considered that.

I wonder how he'll take on Mike then.

I liked that Barty reminded me of Half Measure. Mike's monologue in that was amazing.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I wonder how he'll take on Mike then.
    He did already. Walt used to drink whiskey neat, while Mike on the rocks. This difference between them was pronounced in the episode where they met at a bar and Mike bought him a drink then punched him.

In last year's finale, after he killed Mike, Walt went to Hank's house and Hank offered him a drink. Walt asked for on the rocks.
    Movie Theater Diary

The first time he did that was with Krazy-8, who specifically asked Walt to cut the crusts off the sandwich when he was Walt's prisoner. After Walt killed Krazy-8, every time we see Walt making a sandwich in the latter seasons, they always make a point to show him cutting the crusts.
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    He did already. Walt used to drink whiskey neat, while Mike on the rocks. This difference between them was pronounced in the episode where they met at a bar and Mike bought him a drink then punched him.

In last year's finale, after he killed Mike, Walt went to Hank's house and Hank offered him a drink. Walt asked for on the rocks.

And it's probably why he's already killed [].

In the S5 cold open, [
    ]

Unless I missed something from last night's episode - haven't watched it yet.

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Rewatched the first few episodes of Season 5 and forgot about the cold open to episode 1 that takes place on Walt's 52nd birthday in some random state outside of New Mexico. He coughs a few times, so it appears like the cancer may be back and he also bought a rather fancy assault rifle as well.
    Yeah, that's not an 'assault rifle'. That's a full blown M60 machine gun. Full auto, belt fed goodness.

Loved the shit out of that episode. Will try to rewatch it again soon.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    And it's probably why he's already killed [].

In the S5 cold open, [
    ]
    You just blew my mind.

There was zero chance for this to disappoint, eh? Another fantastic episode. The tension in the final scene could be cut with a knife.

I'm pretty sure everyone is going to die.

[
    ]
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    I'm pretty sure everyone is going to die.

[
    ]
    The last shot of the show will be Badger picking up Walt's old hat, putting it on, and saying, "Let's cook." Thus illustrating the moral of the story - there's a Heisenberg in all of us.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    The last shot of the show will be Badger picking up Walt's old hat, putting it on, and saying, "Let's cook." Thus illustrating the moral of the story - there's a Heisenberg in all of us.
    Followed by the implosion of the internet.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Hahah that was quick!

well that was everything and more.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Pretty good opener. Good choice to quickly set up the main conflict. It feels like we're (viewers and characters) all on the same page.

Great episode though I agree with Amber's criticisms about the lack of detail devoted to Walt's about face. I do think, however, that Jesse's status as the show's moral conscience kind of requires him to be a bit of a debbie downer at this point. I like where his character is heading. It seems appropriate.

Holy ...

Movie Theater Diary

[
    ]
    [
    ]

Quote Quoting slqrick (view post)
    [
    ]
    Great point.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

But it wasn't perfect. They took some shortcuts in the writing and character choices that didn't feel fair given where we left last season.

[
    ]
    My understanding is that it was always planned as 5 seasons, and due to the money mishaps surrounding MadMen, they split the last seaons into two chunks. So, in essence, Season 5 has more episodes than it would have originally. Instead of 13 it will have 16.

Walt's about face is fine and makes perfect sense for the character. He's seen The Godfather. He knows how these things go. The business is important to him but family is just as important. So when Skylar gives him a point of entry back into her life last season, at that point he had everything else he wanted in terms of power and finance so he seized the opportunity.

There were plenty of shots of Walt looking vacant and lost last season while he was on top of the world. Gilligan laid the groundwork quite well.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I keep wondering why Skyler is so frequently called "Skylar" by mistake. Seems to be a far less common name, at least to me.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast