Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 135361626364 LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 1595

Thread: The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Venusian Rubbed Moscow sevenarts's Avatar
    I've played the whole game two-handing the biggest, slowest swords I can find with no shield. If anything it's too powerful a playstyle. Like any other weapon, you just have to pick when to dodge and when to attack. I really feel like every weapon I've come across (and there are so many!!!) would be viable with the right investments, just like in Dark Souls 1. It's just a matter of how you like to play.

I just killed one of the Fat Evangelists and got her mace/walking staff and it seems pretty cool.

Going to try it out for a bit. If I like it I may imbue it with lightning.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Just beat those Knights of the Abyss or whatever they're called. Spent waaaay too much time on those mother fuckers. Started as a Sellsword and I've found his twin swords to be my weapons of choice, with the katana a close second.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Thats a really hard but also really awesome fight. Feels very Bloodborne to me.

Never tried dual-wielding. I don't think I'd be good at it.

Quote Quoting Idioteque Stalker (view post)
    Thats a really hard but also really awesome fight. Feels very Bloodborne to me.

Never tried dual-wielding. I don't think I'd be good at it.
    I rarely use a shield, so dual wielding / two handing came naturally. I've got a shield strapped to my back that increases stamina regeneration, and that's the extent of my shield use.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

That Catacombs boss was the definition of a cake walk.

I love this game so much. I've gone through 2 NG+ cycles on my main/first character (a strength/quality build focused on two-handing ultra greatswords) and have now started a pyro run, which started out as kind of a drag but has become really fun once I started to get my Int/Faith high enough and get some of the better spells.

After Catacombs starts the best stretch of the game so enjoy! The bosses are considerably tougher and better too - all the first half bosses are arguably way too easy but they definitely make up for it big-time later on.

Now that I'm to the level where I needed the doll, the souls pile up quick. I just lost 32k, and decided it was time for a break. And, per usual, I lost them by being stupid and rushing through what should have been a very manageable section.

Just finished my first playthrough.

Holy disappointing ending, Batman.

Though I gather I didn't get the "true" ending.

If anyone's interested, I've started a no-healing run, aiming to beat every boss without using Estus or healing spells, and I've started streaming it occasionally late at night: https://www.twitch.tv/sevenarts112

Mostly endless attempts at Pontiff or Dancer lately, I'm pretty stuck on both of them.

Just finished my first run with my +10 sellsword twin blades. Once I get his strength up to 18 I'm going to try out the Abyss Watchers sword dagger combo. His Dex is damn near 50 right now.

Is Bloodborne generally considered the easiest of the Souls games? I'm not on a particularly high level (in the sixties) but I just beat the last two bosses first time (Darkbeast Paarl and One Reborn) and have found whole areas completely without challenge (the Forbidden Woods).

There's definitely been some frustrating bits but nothing like the constant grind of the other games for me.

No I think dark souls 2 is considered easiest. I thought bloodborne was really hard. Forbidden woods isn't super difficult but aside from the dumb looking snakes I love that area, and the boss is hard imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dlc for bloodborne is ridiculous. I gave up.

No I think dark souls 2 is considered easiest. I thought bloodborne was really hard. Forbidden woods isn't super difficult but aside from the dumb looking snakes I love that area, and the boss is hard imo.
    I beat the boss first time.

I should note I also think it's my favourite of the Souls games. The RPG aspect is my least favourite aspect of the other games, so I like that I don't have to think too much about armour, weapon and personal stats and just go for the weapon I like the feel of best.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Is Bloodborne generally considered the easiest of the Souls games? I'm not on a particularly high level (in the sixties) but I just beat the last two bosses first time (Darkbeast Paarl and One Reborn) and have found whole areas completely without challenge (the Forbidden Woods).

There's definitely been some frustrating bits but nothing like the constant grind of the other games for me.
    One Reborn is such a pushover that the AI almost seems broken, while Paarl is available to be fought much earlier in the game, when he's a bit more of a challenge, he's very easy if you only find him shortly before the One Reborn.

That said, Bloodborne was my first Souls game and I found much of it, especially the earlier areas, very difficult, while playing the original Dark Souls after beating Bloodborne several times was fairly easy. I don't actually think Bloodborne is harder - in fact now I can breeze through it except for the later Chalice Dungeons - I think there's a bit of scaling with these games in that once you get used to their systems and their combat, whichever games you play second/third/fourth will seem easier than the first exposure.

Finally playing Bloodborne and it's really brilliant how similar and utterly distinct it is from the Souls games. I don't think I've been this excited diving into a game since Dark Souls or maybe even Demon's Souls.

I'll get to DS3 after I get through a playthrough of Bloodborne.

Yeah, it's tough. I'm currently at a crossroads with three different bosses I can't beat: Gehrman: the first hunter, Ludwig the Accursed in the DLC, and the boss in Cainhurst Castle. Might give it a break for a bit.

I gather that if I'd chosen the other dialogue option with Gehrman I would've completed the game but it didn't feel right.

Gave up on it too. Spent hours trying to beat that first boss to no avail, and just decided to go ahead and complete the game so that I didn't have to think about it any more. It's very easy for these games to cross over for me from fun but rewarding challenge to soul crushing obsession.

Beat every boss in the main game though, including the two optional end bosses. Gerhman was insanely tough for me.

Still loving and getting a lot out of DS3. I just finished a playthrough where I purposefully did not use any healing items, so I could only restore health at bonfires or by dying. It's a really fun and challenging way to play; a lot of the difficulty of the game is assuaged by having 15 estus flasks and being able to heal through mistakes and hits. The second half of the game is quite hard this way, I had to really learn movesets and make very few mistakes in each boss fight. I definitely recommend this as a good way to get more out of the game.

Wow. I'm not nearly good enough to imagine doing that.

After spending an entire weekend on The Orphan of Kos in Bloodborne, which is the penultimate DLC boss, I lost all motivation to exert the same amount of effort on any other boss. I did eventually beat him. The victory was really hard-sought, so it served as a kind of de facto final boss. I mean, Lawrence was still out there, but after two or three tries, I just wasn't feeling it. I saw a vision of an inordinate amount of attempts rising up before me and I gave up. I couldn't do that again. I don't really feel bad about this, though, as I don't think a game needs to be thoroughly exhausted in order to satisfy as a great experience.

Anyway, I feel kind of guilty about the considerable amount of time I spent playing this, but I'm glad I gave it a shot despite fearing that it wasn't for me. It's among the greatest games I've ever played and Cainhurst Castle is a top-tier video game location.
    Last edited by Gittes; 06-23-2016 at 02:15 AM.

Looks cool. I hope they looked at the right parts of the Souls formula for their emulation.

Most devs, From included now, seemed to focus on the difficulty of the Souls games when formulating their new games, thinking that it was the raw challenge of the combat encounters that people enjoyed the most. So Dark Souls III was plagued with bosses with multiple stages and huge pools of HP. Go back and look at the bosses in Dark Souls and Demon's Souls in comparison.

What From has forgotten, and what others have overlooked, is that it was not just the challenge of the combat encounters that made the Souls games great. It was also the mystery, the level design, the obtuse nature of the narratives, and the over all feeling of despair that made Demon's Souls and Dark Souls so great. The challenge of the combat encounters was just part of the successful recipe.

It's as if Bandai-Namco's marketing team ended up dictating what was relevant and desired with their Prepare to Die slogan.

Page 63 of 64 FirstFirst ... 135361626364 LastLast