Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 1595

Thread: The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Sorry, I misread and thought you said 150 hours was "far more" than the two previous Souls games.

D'oh.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

One more month....

Man, not watching the Japanese streams in a couple of weeks is going to take super human will power.

Salt and Sanctuary is out on PS4. It truly is 100% 2D Dark Souls. Absolutely loving it. Reminding me a lot of Simons Quest and Symphony of the Night as well. Lots of weapons and items and the skill tree is insane. Seems like the world is pretty huge, lots of short cuts and secrets. Highly recommend.

Very cool I'll check it out.

Read today and interview where Miyazaki said DS3 is smaller than DS2, but much more complex.

That makes sense. DS1, Demon's Souls and BB are all smaller than DS2 as well. DS2 was far to open and sprawling. DS3 is more compact, which is great.

Salt and Sanctuary is SO good. Five bosses down. Finally found some cool armor I like. I'm going for a Holy Assassin build - fast dagger weapons with holy magic for healing and buffs.

25 days to go...

Man, Namco and From royally screwed up the release of Dark Souls 3. They've gone ahead and given the game out early in English to a bunch of Twitch and YT streamers (luckily ENB and Lobos are waiting until April to stream), and yesterday the international version of the game, complete with all English text and voices, was available to purchase on XBone in the US! So the game is completely done, and yet they're waiting to release on April 12 for their fiscal year numbers.

This is bad for a number of reasons. First off, the best thing about these games is the mystery, and being around at the beginning to be a part of solving and discovering stuff. Well, in three weeks everything will pretty much be known and already available on Twitch and YT - there won't be anything left to discover. Secondly, these are multi-player games, so the rest of us waiting to play on April 12th will be plagued by Twinks and griefers when it comes to invasions. And finally, because the game was given to streamers on the PC early, there are already torrents with 250k downloads.

This has killed a ton of my excitement for the game.

Doesn't affect my excitement at all. I always do my first run blind and with no help whenever possible.

People are saying it's the hardest game From has made. I can't freaking wait.

I still haven't watched anything since the first reveal trailer. I know nothing about the game. It's going to be a great experience.

It comes out on the 12th and as of the 16th I'm on vacation for a week!

You could have had it yesterday on XBone!

Venusian Rubbed Moscow sevenarts's Avatar
    Anyone else get 3? I played it for a few hours last night, beat the tutorial section and explored a bunch of the first BIG area. Really great so far. Everything looks so beautiful. Enemies are so aggressive and punishing.

My copy is being delivered by Amazon today!

Do you need to have played previous versions of Dark Souls to really enjoy this game?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Do you need to have played previous versions of Dark Souls to really enjoy this game?
    Doubtful. The series isn't so much a continuing story as a series of riffs on a theme. I'm early on and have already seen some references to past games but the Souls games aren't too plot-heavy by any means, the stories are enigmatic and emerge slowly and organically. They're much more about exploration and combat mechanics than following a linear plot. Get it!

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Not at all.

I also suggest you play Bloodborne. That game is totally up your alley.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Not at all.

I also suggest you play Bloodborne. That game is totally up your alley.
    Holy shit, you can play Godzilla in Bloodborne?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

This should have been called Demon's Souls 2 instead of Dark Souls 3.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    This should have been called Demon's Souls 2 instead of Dark Souls 3.
    Sir, you have my attention.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

It feels like a natural continuation of Dark Souls to me, with lots of Bloodborne thrown in.

And it is SO good. I saw some early reviews complaining about the game being too linear and level design not being up to par, but those people could not possibly have actually played this game. The areas I've seen so far are huge and sprawling, with multiple branching paths and so many little hidden nooks to explore. This is amazing.

So I've played this a lot this week. The difficulty, world, and lore feel a lot more like 1 than 2 which is a huge plus. That's enough for me to feel confident saying I love it--the gameplay and tone of these games at their best is pretty unmatched in modern games imo.

I haven't finished it yet, but the "throwbacks" to 1 are pretty incessant, and if there doesn't prove to be some awesome narrative slight-of-hand at work then it's going to feel cheap. There's a sense of wonder lost when you feel as though you recognize so much.

Also one of my main takeaways so far is, funnily enough, reflecting on how good Bloodborne was. As a straight horror game for its first third it is fantastic, then once the cosmic stuff is introduced (for me in a wild WTF moment in the Forbidden Woods) it gets even creepier, and then from Byrgenwerth (sp) on that fucking game just got under my skin in a way no other game has. Dark Souls may always be my favorite because it was my first, but there's a part of me that is just certain Bloodborne is the best game From Software has made.

A friend of mine posted a screen cap of where he is currently in DS3, and it looks like something directly out of Bloodborne.

So this game is downright phenomenal. I'm very far in - pretty close to the end, I'm guessing - and pretty much every area has been thoughtfully designed, beautiful, and densely packed with enemies, lore, weapons, etc. The area-to-area progression is unfortunately rather linear in comparison to Dark Souls 1, which I think will hurt replays - it was nice in the original to have some freedom in the order you approach areas, to build characters in different ways and skip around through the world using ingenious shortcuts. There's not much of that here, other than a few large branches, which is a disappointment.

But it's also the only major disappointment. While the overall progress is linear, the path through levels is anything but, and each level is cleverly laid out with lots of branching paths, shortcuts, and vertical layering. The levels are so much fun to explore, and the feeling of satisfaction when a path eventually loops around to open a previously glimpsed locked door or kick down a ladder is very much present. The levels are also, for the most part, HUGE, so each area feels like a fully realized place with a lot to do and see before moving on.

Those levels are the big focus here. The boss fights have all been very well-designed, with some especially impressive from an aesthetic/lore perspective, but most haven't been especially difficult - at least not to someone who's played a lot of Souls games. Later in the game there have started to be a few that are really tough and challenging, though. Regardless, the bosses have almost all been really cool and fun to fight, even if I do wish for a few more who are as punishing as the best bosses in previous installments.

As for the lore and references to previous games, for the most part I've found it well-done and satisfying. There are times when they go overboard and it seems a bit gratuitous, but mostly they've done a good job of building upon previous games, combining elements of the other games into a cohesive whole that may just be the best thing they've done in many ways. It's certainly the most polished and coherent, with no half-assed areas and nothing that is out of place.
    Last edited by sevenarts; 04-20-2016 at 07:42 PM.

I am, I think, a little over halfway through the game and I have yet to find a weapon better than the long sword I started with. I've levelled it up and imbued it with fire, but man, the weapons in this game are disappointing.

I'm loving the game for sure, but the weapons are a big gripe for me at this point.

Isn't the whole point of weapons in these games that you can take any weapon, upgrade it, level the right stats, and it'll be viable all game? The weapons are great, there's so much variety and so many cool ones to try. I'm doing a greatsword build and have at least 6-7 of them that I like, each with different movesets and advantages/disadvantages.

My problem is that the game has it ten so much faster paced (which I love!) but the move sets for many of the weapons remain the same speed, leaving them next to useless.

Most all of the heavy weapons I have come across are so slow that they leave the player wide open for a period of time that is relatively much longer, due to the increased speed and aggression of the enemies.