Page 13 of 71 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread O' Beer!

I am going to Belgium on Monday. There is so much beer there I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?

The Red Shoes (Powell, 1948)
    Manhattan Murder Mystery (Allen, 1993)
    Spring Breakers (Korine, 2012)
    Sydney (Anderson, 1996)
    El ángel exterminador (Luis Buñuel, 1963)

Quote Quoting endingcredits (view post)
    I am going to Belgium on Monday. There is so much beer there I don't know where to start. Any suggestions?
    Just drink.

Minneapolis is holding a beer festival 3 blocks from my apartment this upcoming Saturday afternoon.

Gee, I wonder if I'll go...

My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Dammit. Didn't see this thread until last night! I have a book that maps out a huge amount of breweries/monasteries in Belgium, as wall as a recommended beer tour of Brussells. Tho I'm sure you were just fine without it.

Failing that, let me just go on the record saying that you suck.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Dammit. Didn't see this thread until last night! I have a book that maps out a huge amount of breweries/monasteries in Belgium, as wall as a recommended beer tour of Brussells. Tho I'm sure you were just fine without it.

Failing that, let me just go on the record saying that you suck.
    Was the tour in Brussels you were referring to Cantillon Brasserie? The place is beautiful and they make a great lambic the old fashioned way.

I tried about 70 beers during my two weeks in Belgium. If I have time, I'll try to review my top twenty.

Sydney (Anderson, 1996)

I tried about 70 beers during my two weeks in Belgium. If I have time, I'll try to review my top twenty.
    That sounds awesome.

I've had one beer in my life. It was a Corona. I didn't like it.

Quote Quoting elixir (view post)
    Then try something else. A craft brew. You may be pleasantly surprised.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

20. Gentse Tripel (8%)

I had this one twice while staying in Gent. The first time was at this tiny place called 't Galgenhuisje,
    []
    which is the smallest and oldest bar in the town of Gent. The place has some interesting history, which may or may not be true; but, as I learned it from a stranger named Leeds (sorry guy if I misspelled your name) who looked like Klaus Kinski at around 2am, I'm going to tell it. The cafe sits at the edge of a very old building with fourteen windows which used to be a slaughterhouse. At one time, during a religious upheaval, in the windows they hanged adulterous wives and husbands and petty thieves. Another cool thing about this place that I noticed is that at night the side of it looks like a skull in the light (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickdec...6476/lightbox/)

Anyways, on to the beer.

Appearance - Clear blonde body with a very large head.

Smell - Sweet and citrousy. It's a lower alchohol tripel, so the smell is softer (yeastier?) than many I tried.

Taste - Starts malty but releases well with a dryer, hoppier finish.

Mouth - Medium bodied. Well carbonated. Some alcohol taste is present, though

Drinkability - Decent for a tripel, but not as smooth as other, higher alcohol tripels that can be found.

Rating: 7.5

Sydney (Anderson, 1996)

Quote Quoting elixir (view post)
    I'm not a fan of Corona. It's serviceable, and adding a lime is preferrable.

There are so many different kinds of beers, the mind boggles. Plus, one brewery's IPA will taste completely different from another's. So, don't shut out all beer just because Corona stinks.

Where are you located? You must have one or two local micro-breweries that turn out good stuff.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Speaking of which...

La Fin Du Monde
    Style: Tripel
    Brewery: Unibroue, inc. Chambly, Quebec

La Fin Du Monde is beer, perfected. It's all down hill from here, ladies and gentlemen. If I were stranded on an island and forced to drink one beer for the rest of my life, it would be La Fin Du Monde. In fact, the thought of being on a tropical island with nothing but an easy chair and an endless supply of La Fin is kinda my idea of heaven.

La Fin is a special occasion beer. Birthdays, Christmas, personal achievements. It's so indulgently good that I feel guilty buying a bottle unless I feel I've done something to deserve one.

Belgians are hit and miss for me. On one hand, I've had some really dynamite ones (Chimay, Brother Thelonious, Summit Scandia), but on the other I've had some that I just couldn't choke down. So, who knew that my favorite would be brewed by a bunch of Quebecois.

Anyway, enough gushing. La Fin is a Tripel, which means it's a Belgian Trappist-style pale ale, the "tripel" referring to its, erm, enhanced alcohol content. And at an ABV of 9.5 - about 50% more than your typical beer, nearly three times the alcohol content of a Miller Lite - La Fin is no lightweight. Drinking a 750 ml bottle (i think that's the size) is enough to leave you feeling nice and toasty.

La Fin manages the unlikely feat of being complex, yet accessible. It tastes great and is easy drinkin' enough for your average joe six-pack, yet those with more, shall we say, refined beer tastes will love the nuances, spices, and progression of flavors from start to finish. In short, it's a beer that only gets better the more you start to get into beer. Kinda like how Guitar Hero gets to be more fun the better you get at it.

Appearance: A light amber, cloudy like a weiss, but with a tint of orange. The head is thick and frothy, and sticks to the glass after you pour it

Smell: Sweetness abounds, with the smell of pear at the forefront. The smell of alcohol goodness lies just behind.

Taste: That pear you smelt was no misdirection, because its sweetness is the first thing you notice. Then the spice kicks in, clove being the dominant theme. Finishes on a sour note, not unlike a granny smith apple.

Mouthfeel: It's naturally conditioned, so the carbonation is smoother than it would be if it were forced. There is a certain weight to the beer, not unlike a lighter weiss beer such as the mentioned-earlier Bell's Oberon, that makes me wonder if wheat is among the grains they use in making this beer.

Drinkability: Goes down the hatch pretty easily, but slow down, fella. This is a beer to be savored on a slow evening, not slammed after a hot day.

Quote Quoting Hugh Grant
    That's the one!
    I felt like this should be acknowledged a bit more since I've purchased it several times since first reading about it here. That initial scent, and taste, of pear cannot be underestimated. Simply one of the finest beers ever.

Ever.

Been in an experimental mood. Picked this up, yesterday.

Love it. Crisp and clean, wheaty, like a filtered Hefe. Almost 3 pints per bottle, I finished the entire thing in under an hour. Definitely worth checking out.

19. La Trappe Tripel (8%)

Appearance - Deep amber red with a dense head that laces well.

Smell - Fruity but not overpowering.

Taste - Malty with some hints of citrus. Alcohol is well hidden.

Mouth - Medium to full body. Denser than other Trappist tripels.

Drinkability - A bit heavy but still highly drinkable.

Overall, this was the weakest of the six brands of Trappist beers I tried but still a great beer.

Rating 7.5

Sydney (Anderson, 1996)

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Anyone here had Allagash before? Terrific stuff from the three I sampled last week. The White was a dead ringer for New Belgium's Mothership and was pretty traditional for an American take of a Belgian wheat and not too sweet; in short, fantastic. The Tripel (9%) was just phenomenal however. Wonderful deep gold and the amount of complexity in the fruit is simply divine. I must find a way to get more (since I can't ship to Maryland).
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    The beer thats been brewing in the basement is now nicknamed Bac0n's Bitter Bastard.

And how!
    Last friday I brewed another batch of this, 'cept this time I put in .6 ounces of the gallena hops instead of 6 ounces. I'm thinking this will be a touch less on the bitter side than what is in Scar's basement.

Great American Beer Festival tickets go on sale this Thursday! Anybody living in or around Denver who likes beer, you have no business not attending this totally amazing event. Anybody not living around Denver, this is a great excuse to visit!

Hope to see you there!

Holla at me if you go!

Don't know if I'd get tickets as I wouldn't be drinking that many beers, but I'd always meet up.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Holla at me if you go!

Don't know if I'd get tickets as I wouldn't be drinking that many beers, but I'd always meet up.
    Tickets have been bought for all three days. Whoo-boy. Seriously, you should consider going for at least one of the days. It's a total blast, and you'll be introduced to so many new styles of beer, it'll blow your mind.

18. La Chouffe (8%)

This is a Belgian Strong Pale Ale that I had during the poster session at the conference my girlfriend was attending. It's especially nice if you're hankering for a hoppier Belgian-style beer.

Appearance - Hazy golden color with a sizeable head. Good lacing but no cascading.

Smell - It has simple but inviting hoppiness that is fruity with undertones of banana and apricot. Some alcohol lingers in the nose.

Taste - Spicier than the nose and more complex. Coriander stands out along with nutmeg.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied. Very fine medium/high carbonation leads to silky mouthfeel that fades into a crispy dryness coming from the hops.

Drinkability - Good, but the high carbonation might be an issue after a couple rounds.

Rating : 7.5

Sydney (Anderson, 1996)

I'm drinking a Rolling Rock bought from 7-11...and enjoying it. TAKE THAT BEER SNOBS!
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    I'm drinking a Rolling Rock bought from 7-11...and enjoying it. TAKE THAT BEER SNOBS!
    My go-to beer is High Life.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    I don't know what you're talking about, I find myself slumming it frequently with Delerium Tremens.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    I don't know what you're talking about, I find myself slumming it frequently with Delerium Tremens.
    Get thee behind me peasant! Anything less than Sam Adams Utopias I feed to the dogs!

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Hot damn! My area has started importing Theakston's Old Peculier again! Best dark (black?) ale there is for my money.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Now you can have the taste of the famed Voodoo Doughnuts Bacon Maple Bar in beer form.

This might be the worst thing Oregon has produced since Tonya Harding.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Page 13 of 71 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast