Thread: Thread O' Beer!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yeah - I officially do not like this beer.

Bummer.

What types of beer do you guys like?

Ranked:

1. Hefeweizens
    2. Lagers/Pilsners
    3. Ales
    4. Stouts
    5. 'Fruity' beers - although I had one pear beer that was the tops.

Quote Quoting Spaceman Spiff (view post)

Ranked:

1. Hefeweizens
    2. Lagers/Pilsners
    3. Ales
    4. Stouts
    Me? Hrm. Good question. I guess the style for which I have the most fondness is an american india pale ale of some sort, such as the aforementioned Founders Harvest, Centennial (also by Founders), Crooked Tree's (another great MI brewery, btw) or my current fave, Sierra Nevada Torpedo.

There's an important distinction to make between american and british IPAs. The brits hop primarily for aroma, while the yanks hop for flavor/bitterness. Have a Fosters IPA (british) sometime along side one of the american pales mentioned in this thread and you will notice a stark difference in their character.

I guess is i had to pick a second fave, it would probably be a Belgian of some sort, but I find the quality of Belgian beers more divergent than any other style. My single favorite beer is a Belgian, yet there are Belgians which I literally could not finish.

Styles that I would classify as my least faves would be Bocks and Barley wines, both for the same reason - too thick and syrupy for my liking (tho I've had beers of each that I've liked).
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

I like the Wheats and the Barley Wines the best.

For me, nothing beats a really cloudy hef.

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    There's an important distinction to make between american and british IPAs. The brits hop primarily for aroma, while the yanks hop for flavor/bitterness. Have a Fosters IPA (british) sometime along side one of the american pales mentioned in this thread and you will notice a stark difference in their character.
    I quite like Liberty Ale, how is that in relation to Foster's?

I guess is i had to pick a second fave, it would probably be a Belgian of some sort, but I find the quality of Belgian beers more divergent than any other style. My single favorite beer is a Belgian, yet there are Belgians which I literally could not finish.
    Chimay, Duvel and Westhevalle are all quite great. I know this pretty classy bar downtown that has quite a selection of Belgians, and once I can afford it I'll plump down on a bottle of Rochefort maybe with a friend or a date.

Styles that I would classify as my least faves would be Bocks and Barley wines, both for the same reason - too thick and syrupy for my liking (tho I've had beers of each that I've liked).
    I am also not a Bock fan.

One of my favorite beers of all time is Mill Street Tankhouse Ale. It's an American Pale Ale (which is why it won't be on this list, since bac0n stole that category already :evil.

It uses tons of cascade hops, which are probably my very favorite hop to work with. Cascade, or a mixture of perle and northern brewer. Them's some tasty hops.

I love traditional pale ales, many pilsners (though lord knows I've come across a few I just couldn't stand at all), and I also like several red and dark ales.

Stouts and porters, as I mentioned in my first entry, are beers I like occasionally but couldn't drink all the time.

Barley wines just aren't my bag, really. Though, of course, I've had one or two I loved.

I would also say that - generally - I'm not much of a fan of Mexican beers. I find quite often they are too thin, almost watery, and rely more on malt than hops for their flavour. Strangely enough many English style beers get a lot of their flavour from malting rather than strong hopping, but I tend to enjoy those quite a bit.

I will say again that even the types of beers I'm not too fond of have at least one or two products therein that I love. Negra Modelo is a Mexican dark that is farkin' delicious.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting Spaceman Spiff (view post)

Ranked:

1. Hefeweizens
    2. Lagers/Pilsners
    3. Ales
    4. Stouts
    1. Ales (especially Pale Ale)
    2. Hefeweizens
    3. Lagers/Pilsners

I won't drink fruity beers unless there's nothing else available. I can't handle the richness of stouts, unless we're talking a black-and-tan, which I do enjoy occasionally.

Tonight I wandered over to my local gastro-pub and had an amazing open-faced beef brisket sandwich with a couple Summit Extra Pale Ales. It was heaven.

Anybody like Boddington's Pub Ale?
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Spun Lepton (view post)
    Creamy deliciousness in a can? Of course!

Bac0n's just blowing smoke. These are his two favorite beers:

“What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Bac0n's just blowing smoke. These are his two favorite beers:

A.K.A. "Sugar Beer." Good in a pinch and when funds are low.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

A.K.A. "Sugar Beer." Good in a pinch and when funds are low.
    If Premium is cheap in your book, High Life must only be for bums!

:lol:
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Yumyumyumyumyumyumyum.

Brother Thelonious
    Belgian Style Abbey Ale
    Brewery: North Coast Brewing Company, CA

I was first turned on to this beer when I saw it on a T-shirt. Me, being a huge fan of Thelonious Monk, asked the guy who was wearing it what it was all about. With a name and label like that, I wondered, how can you lose? Intrigued, I looked for it my local beer grocery and found it. The rest is history.

Appearance: Pretty much perfection in a glass. Deep hazelnut/dark red color tone. Very little head after a nice pour.

Aroma: Very traditional Belgian abbey with dried cherry and dry red wine, almost has a cakey-type molasses smell to it.

Taste: Very rich in flavor, not overpoweringly sweet, subtle dark fruits like figs and plums.

If you can find this beer on the East Coast then consider yourself as lucky as I do, especially on tap. A real hidden gem. A 6-pack is pretty expensive at almost $25, but one that I will bust out on special occasions. I can't say enough about how awesome this beer is!
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

Dammit, I was gonna do this one!

I love Brother Thenolonious, me too being a huge Thelonious fan - and also a fan of the beer. It's definitely a special occasion sipping beer. Hell, I might pick up a bottle on the way home tonight to toast in the new year.

Cool thing about this beer is that part of the proceeds go to the Monk Jazz Institute.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Dammit, I was gonna do this one!
    Ha, that's why I snuck it in early, just in case.
    Now reading: The Master Switch by Tim Wu

A bartender that I went on a call on last night got punched several times in the face for serving a pitcher with too much head.

It was Bud Light.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Hmmm...this is one I've never seen before!

I may have to go over to the LCBO and see if they could special order a 6-pack for me. I'd love to try it.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."