Page 29 of 71 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread O' Beer!

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    but I think an even better way to stand out among the crowd is to create easy drinking, balanced lagers (quick count how many craft breweries you can think of that specialize in lagers instead of ales?)
    A few of my favorite crafts make some great dark lagers, but not very many.

Enjoying a bomber of Bark at the Moon, Elysian's Pumpkin Stout. Fantastic.

Lazy Beer Writers Are Ruining Craft Beer for the Rest of Us — Hops Are Just Fine

http://www.bear-flavored.com/2013/05...ing-craft.html

I don't know why I did this.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

“What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I pretty much just drink Guinness stout (not the canned stuff) but the other week I had this local brew which I liked a lot:

Once I'm done with the 2nd half of this amazing black lager, I believe I'm down to just 2 left from bac0n. Schell's Chimney Sweep is my kind of beer. Very smooth and malty with just a touch of bitterness and a hint of smokiness. It has such a simple but not boring flavor profile. Very good selection!
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)

I don't know why I did this.
    What the???
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    What the???
    It was an impulse buy as they were selling the last bottle for $1 at the cashwrap. I like some chili beers and went with it. ugh.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

for a dollar, I'd have given it a try.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Quote Quoting Gizmo (view post)
    Schell's has been around since before the craft beer explosion. They were my go-to cheap beer during the 90s. I remember buying pitchers of the stuff at the C.C. Club for $4 a pop. Fast forward to today and color me surprised that they stepped up to the craft beer challenge and succeeded as well as they have! I was skeptical until I had the Chimney Sweep, which is delicious.

Unfortunately, The Bitter End gave me headaches both times - so it's back to Guinness

Okay time to hold up my end of the bargain.

Beer: Bad Moon Rising
    Brewery: Gizmobräu
    Style: Belgian Dubble?

Ya gotta hand it to a guy for ambition - Belgians are the hardest styles to nail. It takes a LOT of work to get them to compete with the likes of Chimay, Rochefort (yeah, right), and Unibroue and others, so hats off to Gizmo for throwing down the gauntlet.

Appearance - head disspipates rapidly, little lacing. copper color.

Smell - excellent - deep maltiness, smells of burnt sugar and caramel, a pruny sweetness as well. dates? can tell that this is going to have a kick.

Taste - the sweetness is prevalent, brightness through the middle, low bitterness, finishes clean and a little dry, reminds me of a biere de garde, actually. There is a nice pleasant sweetness and freshness to it which I find enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - I'm guessing this is a belgian dubble or somesuch style, from what I can taste. That being said, it has a slightly light-bodied mouthfeel compared to other examples of the style. There is alcohol on the nose but not on the palate. Perhaps it was cleverly hidden? Anywho, you could benefit from upping your grain bill by 5% to 10% to add some thickness to it, as well as perhaps some corn sugar or other adjunct to the mash to bring the starting gravity up, and then trying to ferment at a higher temp (72 degrees fahrenheit) as the fermentation slows down to maximize attenuation (generally 3-4 days into primary fermentation). That is, of course, if you want to make it more true-to-style, but as it stands, this is an enjoyable beer nonetheless.

General Thoughts: One thing you might want to try doing, if you have a bottle left is to brew another batch in the same style in a month or two, and try a vertical, to see how the aging of the beer changes to flavor profile.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Okay time to hold up my end of the bargain.

Beer: Danny's Red
    Brewery: Bad Moon Brewing
    Style: Irish Red
    Not sure if you got one of these that had gotten messed when a couple bottles broke, but it appears either way that the label was hard to read. Updated the information for your tag. And this was a Red that was the first time I used actual styled yeast for and not generic S-04, S-05, etc.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Haha, I was way off! Well knowing it's an Irish Red sorta nixed all the mouthfeel feedback I had, doesn't it?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Been almost a month since the last post! i'm mostly off medication now, so I've been drinking a bit here and there. My parents were in town this past weekend and brought in Rivertown Lambic, which has won awards for lambic produced in the U.S.

Here's my ratebeer review:

Vintage 2012. I’ve never had a lambic, and likely never will again. The taste is sour tart, with a slight sweetness hint. Really it’s overpowering citris/acid flavor. It’s not easy to drink, nor is it hard to drink, just gotta take small sips with breaks in between. I would assume that this is a good lambic, because it’s not terrible, but it’s not for me.

Any lambic drinkers around?
    *coming soon*

Top 100

That German Helles that Bac0n and I brewed up is mighty tasty.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I think this is the 2nd to last Bac0n beer, maybe there's 2 more. Anyway Lucid Foto is an IPA, and at first sniff and taste, it really is an IPA. I was overwhelmed with hop in my first mouthful. Once I got over the hop shock, and let it warm a bit, it's still pretty hoppy, but underneath the grassyness is a flavourful maltiness. It's a decent drink on a hot summer day, but for my tastes it's just a touch too hoppy.
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Hey, if any of you folks are looking for something to do this October 10-12, might I suggest The Great American Beer Festival in Denver Colorado. I know I've mentioned it before, but it bears repeating. The GABF is pretty much a beer lover's mecca: literally hundreds of breweries from all across the country pouring literally thousands of beers, some especially for the event.

It's gonna be your chance to try Pliny the Elder if you live out east, or to try some Dogfish Head if you live out west, or Surly if you live outside of Minnesota, or New Glarus outside of Wisconsin. Or Sam Adams' Utopias if spending 150 for a 22 oz bottle is a little out of your price range.

Anywho, this year'll be my third time going, and I can't wait. Tix go on sale July 30th, and I'm gonna plan on hitting it Thursday and Friday. Who knows, maybe I'll see a few of you there?

If any of you do go to this, make sure to buy tickets ON JULY 30th.

They sell out immediately, and go faster and faster each year.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

or to try some Dogfish Head if you live out west
    I can buy this from the supermarket up the road from my work, and I'm in New Zealand.

Favorite Kolsch?

They do indeed. you need to pull the trigger the instant they go on sale.

I do believe this is the last of the bac0n batch, and the one I've been most anticipating. I've only heard good things about Black Butte and I love a good dark malty beer. This was by far no let down. I think it's lived up to the hype and possibly surpassed my hopes. There is such complexity in the malt, the slight bitterness to compliment. Not only is it supremely tasty, it is so easy to drink that I can't believe it's not a nitro bottle. I think this may be my favorite beer ever, and it's not one I can get ahold of easily.

Thanks bac0n for the wonderful beer exchange!
    *coming soon*

Top 100

Had a bottle of Black Butte XXV on Friday night. Delicious. It's a little more chocolatey than the XXIV is.

Page 29 of 71 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast