Page 459 of 524 FirstFirst ... 359409449457458459460461469509 ... LastLast
Results 11,451 to 11,475 of 13095

Thread: The TV Discussion Thread

Ain't that just the way EyesWideOpen's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Adam Scott. Leighton Meester. Melissa Leo. Dianna Agron. The girl who was Rachel on "Alphas."

In what is funny to me, Charlie Weber played "Ben" on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Ben and Glory were deeply enmeshed that season. When he guests on VM, his character is named... Glen.

They were (just as) famous then, but Kevin Smith and Joss Whedon show up as actors.
    So many guests I already forgot about Melissa Leo and Paris Hilton.
    TV Recently Finished:
    Catastrophe: Season 1 (2015) A
    Rectify: Season 3 (2015) A-
    Bojack Horseman: Season 2 (2015) A
    True Detective: Season 2 (2015) A-
    Wayward Pines: Season 1 (2015) B

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    Looking for a good show that's not gritty and filled with jerks. Recommendations?
    Are you watching Parenthood?

Looking for a good show that's not gritty and filled with jerks. Recommendations?
    Gilmore Girls is surprisingly good. Similar in tone but less of an investment is Bunheads.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Do you watch New Girl? If not, that's the perfect show based on your description.

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Do you watch New Girl? If not, that's the perfect show based on your description.
    Agreed. One of the sweetest shows I've ever seen. It's so nice and refreshing to see friendship depicted in such a pleasant manner.

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Yes. I would throw Happy Endings out there as well, assuming he doesn't mean current shows. I recently rewatched most of Pushing Daisies as well, and that show was top-notch.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Totally agree. I scoffed at my husband when he started watching this show (Me: "OMG I hate Zooey Deschanel! I hate sitcoms!") but I'll be the first to admit that the cast of characters (especially Winston) won me over.

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Hugh_Grant (view post)
    Totally agree. I scoffed at my husband when he started watching this show (Me: "OMG I hate Zooey Deschanel! I hate sitcoms!") but I'll be the first to admit that the cast of characters (especially Winston) won me over.
    It was his romance with the cat that did it, wasn't it? :P

Finished the first (and only) season of Stephen Merchant's Hello Ladies, and I was digging it, so it sucks to see it's been canceled. The characters are all so awkward it's hard to root for anyone, so I can see why it was canceled/had middle-of-the-road reviews, but it's the sort of awkwardness I enjoy.

Worth checking out if you like Merchant. Kyle Mooney is in it too, so that was also pretty fun to see.

The only person I know who has cable/satellite is my mom so I had her sign up for HBO so I can use her HBO GO. So much stuff I've wanted to watch!
    TV Recently Finished:

Currently Playing: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise (replay) (XB1) / Contradiction (PC)
    Recently Finished: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) A+ / Life is Strange: Ep 4 (PS4) A / Bastion (replay) (PS4) B+

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Mr. Pink (view post)
    Finished the first (and only) season of Stephen Merchant's Hello Ladies, and I was digging it, so it sucks to see it's been canceled. The characters are all so awkward it's hard to root for anyone, so I can see why it was canceled/had middle-of-the-road reviews, but it's the sort of awkwardness I enjoy.

Worth checking out if you like Merchant. Kyle Mooney is in it too, so that was also pretty fun to see.
    At least HBO is giving it a finale special to wrap things up like his shows with Gervais. I too have most of it on backlog, but it being given an formal ending is good enough incentive for me to get around to it sometime.

The first few episodes were... "fun" is an odd word to use, but if you enjoy revelling in Merchant's goofily staunch downtroddenness, then it's the only real in I can see a viewer having with it. Luckily I do, and have always loved his real-life stories in that tone in the podcasts and other interviews, so this show was kinda made for me, and I can't help but feeling a bit guilty for not committing to it now that it's going away.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

I'm more bummed about family tree ending

Quote Quoting Henry Gale (view post)
    At least HBO is giving it a finale special to wrap things up like his shows with Gervais. I too have most of it on backlog, but it being given an formal ending is good enough incentive for me to get around to it sometime.

The first few episodes were... "fun" is an odd word to use, but if you enjoy revelling in Merchant's goofily staunch downtroddenness, then it's the only real in I can see a viewer having with it. Luckily I do, and have always loved his real-life stories in that tone in the podcasts and other interviews, so this show was kinda made for me, and I can't help but feeling a bit guilty for not committing to it now that it's going away.
    Yeah, I forgot about the finale. I'm not sure enough even happened the first season to warrant a special last episode, but I'm definitely not complaining.

The main characters on the show are all sorta the same: they're all really desperate, but in different ways. Merchant's character is mostly desperately trying to get laid, and he does it in a gross way, but I think it's hilarious. If you liked the first few episodes, I'd definitely finish it (I did the same thing; watched a few episodes and forgot to keep up). I think it gets better as you get used to the characters and the tone of the show.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through the final season of ST:TNG and, yes, they ended it at a good time. Stories in this season sometimes stretch believability, which is saying a lot for a show so full of techno-babble. One particular episode features Data with a program that simulates human dreaming, and he discovers that his subconscious is trying to warn him of impending danger. But, what use would an android have with a subconscious? It's not a HUGE problem, but it did pull me out of the episode.

Justified Season 3: Not as good as Season 2. However, two laughs spring to mind that make it worth it. I'll paraphase:

[
    ]
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting ledfloyd (view post)
    Speaking of this. I'm really excited about Arthur Chu being back tonight.
    There's a great "Expert Witness" interview with him on AV Club. It's really enlightening, not only with regard to being a Jeopardy contestant but with how he approached the game that has caused such backlash. I don't watch the show except on a rare occasion these days, but I know people seem baffled by some of his Final Jeopardy bids. The interview makes it quite clear and it gave me a great appreciation for what he's doing when I stumbled by the last few minutes of tonight's show. He intentionally bid a tiny amount because it was not only all he needed in order to ensure he would come back the next day, but it was the precise amount that would ensure that if the person running right behind him bet everything and got it right, that the two would tie and BOTH could return the next day. He's not going for the slam dunk. He's trying to help the next person maximize their ability to offset the cost of simply being a contestant.

For all the ludicrous hate he's gotten, I find that sort of gameplay incredibly selfless and admirable. Can't help but think that his success has not only been because of his exhaustive preparation, but some good karma too.

Yeah, I don't understand the "villain of Jeopardy" nonsense. I think he's a ton of fun to watch. It's always nice when someone mixes things up, especially something as institutional as Jeopardy. And there might be a little bit of Ohio/rust belt pride there too, given that he's from Cleveland.

I complain about last season of ST:TNG and the very next episode I watch is one of the best of the entire series. Shut my mouth.

Quote Quoting amberlita (view post)
    Can't help but think that his success has not only been because of his exhaustive preparation, but some good karma too.
    LOL
    TV Recently Finished:

I don't think he's betting for a tie as any sort of generosity. He knows it's smart to keep around players he's already outperformed when any new player might end up being better.

So what's with this thing where Rick & Morty is almost perfect?

And don't you know it ThePlashyBubbler's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Acapelli (view post)
    has anyone here watched french series the returned?
    Just started this. Intrigued.
    Writing things for A Horizontal Myth.

Quote Quoting ThePlashyBubbler (view post)
    Just started this. Intrigued.
    It's on my to-watch list. Let me know how it turns out.
    ...and the milk's in me.

"Is that a PSVita?" - Kevin Spacey's character on House of Cards. Watching the first season. This show is ridiculous.

Quote Quoting Mara (view post)
    Gilmore Girls is surprisingly good. Similar in tone but less of an investment is Bunheads.
    Watched the first few episodes of Bunheads. Enjoyed them, but felt I'd seen enough of the show by that point.

Can't stand the way the two of them talk to each other in Gilmore Girls.