Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
Ugh. Let's stop this.

I'm sorry, I'm not directing at you or the people of the country. But the political representatives are making a mockery of America and are, by extension, giving the country's people a bad name around the world.

Again, apologies.
Not trying to unearth something that was put to bed, and thank you for apologizing. But I just wanted to back Duke up a little here because I feel like he's often out on his own on things like this.

I'm perfectly fine if people want to dunk on America. It's the same impulse I have to dunk on the Patriots when they lose (sorry Duke). But it's never cool to stand on the outside looking in and tell someone "Wow...how embarrassed are you to be you right now? It must really suck. Is this the worst you've ever felt? If not, it should be." Well, maybe, I dunno. It's complicated. But nevertheless that ain't up to you to decide!

I get the criticisms, but I'm not letting anybody tell me how I should feel to be an American right now. On the same day that shit happened at the Capitol, my state (Georgia), just followed up a November blue flip after decades of being red by beating the odds and electing two Democrats to the Senate to give Biden the majority. I voted in those elections and I volunteered at the polls and it was awesome! Trump has monumentally fucked up COVID, but every day I work with dozens and dozens of people who are still trying to save lives - both in the U.S. and abroad.

It's been a mostly demoralizing year. But the best way to convince me to feel good about being an American is to suggest I should feel bad about it.