Page 197 of 356 FirstFirst ... 97147187195196197198199207247297 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,925 of 8878

Thread: Sangre, cuchillos, y tetas --- Horror Film Discussion

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    According to Imdb it's a 2011 US release.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

* sigh *

It had festival runs in the US in 2010 (Austin, Chicago, Phoenix). The point is, I think most sensible people go by the date that IMDb posts next to the film's title when compiling their yearly lists.

But whatever. Not really worth arguing over.
    "We eventually managed to find them near Biskupin, where demonstrations of prehistoric farming are organized. These oxen couldn't be transported to anywhere else, so we had to built the entire studio around them. A scene that lasted twenty-something seconds took us a year and a half to prepare."

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    * sigh *

It had festival runs in the US in 2010 (Austin, Chicago, Phoenix). The point is, I think most sensible people go by the date that IMDb posts next to the film's title when compiling their yearly lists.

I wasn't arguing, just pointing out that your image was apparently refuting something for which he was technically correct. Also, virtually the entire internet community of critics based in the US go by US release dates, as do we in our yearly Match-Cut awards, just sayin' is all.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    * sigh *

If that were the case there would be 30 movies in the New Release Database Thread that shouldn't qualify for 2011. Rowland made my point though. Not worth arguing over.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    [
    ]
    This is how I see it.

Shoot, I forgot why the plants were even defensive in the first place. I remember reading half the book and stopping there too.

The director has promise though.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Has anyone seen the notoriously not-good yet all-star 70s killer animal feature Tentacles?

It's 1/3 inept/occasionally risible (the movie has hilariously negative-trajectory moral sense), 1/3 kinda delightful/woah-surprise-graceful-camera-work, and then 1/3 pretty cool creature scenes. Which I guess makes it two-thirds "I am charmed." over one-third "This is mind-numbing and moronic".

Despite its reputation of simply being a turd, and with the occasional permission to check out of the film when it's being tedious, I'm solidly cataloging this in my "So bad it's good" file.
    The Act of Killing (Oppenheimer 13) - A
    Stranger by the Lake (Giraudie 12) - B
    American Hustle (Russell 13) - C+
    The Wolf of Wall Street (Scorsese 13) - C+
    Passion (De Palma 12) - B

Attempted to watch Chillerama on Netflix last night.

It was garbage from the get-go, I didn't last 15 minutes. Painful dialogue.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

I've got something called The Reef (2010) sitting on my hard drive.

[youtube]7PhR_3A7RiQ[/youtube]
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Well, its better then Jaws 3, but not as good as Deep Blue Sea.

If you do watch it, expect to see this shot waaaay too many times:
    []
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I think Rowland first mentioned that movie. I'll maybe give it a shot on Instant Viewing.

Also I've decided that American Psycho does fit into the horror genre, which means it'll be featured on my Top 50 list next year. I was a little reluctant to classify it as such since I did not want the list to have another 2000s entry when it already had too many, but I guess my list is already 60s/70s and modern horror top heavy anyways.

PS: But the amount of 80s and 90s horror is spot on. 50s horror there isn't a great deal of, and I haven't seen any great 40s horror movies yet.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    PS: But the amount of 80s and 90s horror is spot on. 50s horror there isn't a great deal of, and I haven't seen any great 40s horror movies yet.
    You need to start watching Val Lewton frigging yesterday.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    You need to start watching Val Lewton frigging yesterday.
    I have. Seen the following:

*Cat People
    *The Seventh Victim
    *I Walked With a Zombie
    *The Leopard Man
    *Isle of the Dead
    *The Body Snatcher

Off the top of my head, anyways.

Only Cat People is close to near great, and it barely misses my list. I like all of those movies save for The Seventh Victim, but I don't find any of them to be great. I admire Lewton and the directors he worked with for operating within their obvious limits, but that doesn't mean I'm going to grade them higher because of that.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    I like all of those movies save for The Seventh Victim
    Hm, this is the best one.

I admire Lewton and the directors he worked with for operating within their obvious limits, but that doesn't mean I'm going to grade them higher because of that.
    Neither am I, but that they created genuinely creepy, atmospheric and efficient horror films does earn them high marks. Seriously though dude, these are some friggin' well-made movies. Goofy creature/cult films imbued with a serious artistic touches and early film-noir sensibilities. Lewton's four year run established a poetry and even a humaneness in horror cinema that certainly hadn't been there in America as of yet.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

Quote Quoting Raiders (view post)
    Hm, this is the best one.

Neither am I, but that they created genuinely creepy, atmospheric and efficient horror films does earn them high marks. Seriously though dude, these are some friggin' well-made movies. Goofy creature/cult films imbued with a serious artistic touches and early film-noir sensibilities. Lewton's four year run established a poetry and even a humaneness in horror cinema that certainly hadn't been there in America as of yet.
    Well yes they all get fairly good or solid ratings. I'll admit that I hold Romero's zombie movies in rather high esteem, but that's because his ideas are incredibly strong and Dawn and Day both have pretty good production values. I'm willing to revisit Lewton's work again, but my opinion still stands that his limitations and the limits of his directors are as obvious as the fact that they are rather high level B-movie horror films that helped change the genre and inspire future directors. For ratings for each one from me I point towards consensus threads, although I really at some point should see Ghost Ship and Bedlam so I can finally do proper write ups for every one.

Also even though it was not produced by Val Lewton I'm a rather big fan of Night/Curse of The Demon from 1957, which is fairly/good and rather entertaining. The creature in that one is a favorite movie monster of mine, actually.

Oh and yesterday I watched the recently released copy of MSTK's skewering of Manos: The Hands of Fate. Which is the worst movie I've ever seen. Pretty hilarious commentary by the trio, as usual, and at some point I'll probably get drunk and watch the movie without any commentary again. Yes I've seen it twice-there's something about a movie that is so astoundingly awful and terrible that I can't help but stare in both awe and disgust.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Bah, some of the Lewton films are pretty masterful.

I particularly love The Body Snatcher, The Seventh Victim, and the two Cat People films.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

[youtube]uoGIyAtCJ-k&feature=g-vrec&context=G24239f2RVAAAAAAA ABw[/youtube]

Anyone see this yet? I remember watching it once years ago, but I'm watching it again and posting it 'cause it's pretty awesome stuff. Roundtable with Landis, Carpenter, Cronenberg and Mick Garris as host (1982).

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    This is the main reason I find it so hard to hate on Garris. I don't think he's much of a filmmaker, but he's such a genuine lover of genre cinema. I mean, he got started directing special features for these kinds of films when nobody else was doing so, and he's still doing these kinds of interviews today (check out FearNet). He always treats the genre as something capable of maturity and meaningful effect.

And as spotty as Masters of Horror was (and...hoo boy), I still think it was an honorable project with admirable ambitions.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    This is the main reason I find it so hard to hate on Garris. I don't think he's much of a filmmaker, but he's such a genuine lover of genre cinema. I mean, he got started directing special features for these kinds of films when nobody else was doing so, and he's still doing these kinds of interviews today (check out FearNet). He always treats the genre as something capable of maturity and meaningful effect.

And as spotty as Masters of Horror was (and...hoo boy), I still think it was an honorable project with admirable ambitions.
    Fully agree. It's especially evident when you see he was doing this sort of thing in 1982. I'm not even sure I paid much attention to his name before Masters of Horror, but just that alone gains him my everlasting respect.

Wow. I am very impressed with the Fright Night remake. Really enjoyed it. I was never a big fan of vampire movies, but that's mostly because they usually don't do them the way I'd like to see vampires. Fright Night is the sort of vampire movie that reminds me how much I actually like vampire movies, and also reminds me how many vampire movies get it wrong.

Maintains an exciting pace, looks beautiful, and has a very cool that's-never-been-done-before-in-a-vampire-movie moment. I liked it much more than the original.

Quote Quoting Mr. Pink (view post)
    Wow. I am very impressed with the Fright Night remake. Really enjoyed it. I was never a big fan of vampire movies, but that's mostly because they usually don't do them the way I'd like to see vampires. Fright Night is the sort of vampire movie that reminds me how much I actually like vampire movies, and also reminds me how many vampires get it wrong.

Maintains an exciting pace, looks beautiful, and has a very cool that's-never-been-done-before-in-a-vampire-movie moment. I liked it much more than the original.
    What I really like about it is the change in environment. Yes there was a club scene in the original movie too, but you didn't get a sense that they actually had to go into a large city like Vegas to get there. It kept the momentum moving and the audience guessing.

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Creepshow (1982) was a great blind buy, as all of the stories save for Jordy's with Stephen King were creepy/really freaky. And even the Lonely Death of Jordy Verill was really good, a mixture of the eeire, tragedy, and humor. The first segment had one hell of an ending, and this movie has everything for everyone. Ed Harris disco dancing, [
    ] and so on. Not really sure if the sequels are worth checking out, but I have read a small amount of Creepshow graphic novels, so yes the movie captured the nasty spirit of the comics really quite well.

One more recent Creepshow segment I would love to see adapted is a story about what happens to a suicide bomber. Its deliciously ironic, and would fit in well with the current political climate and the threat of terrorism to a degree.
    I'm wondering what other consensus we have on MC with this. I could not get into the stories as easy as you have. The second one especially with the farmer/hick totally removed me. The humor and campiness engrosses the creepiness it wants to portray.

Creepshow is one of my all-time favorites. I rank it up there with Night and Dawn of the Dead as one of Romero's best. He captures the tone of the Tales from the Crypt comics better than the Tales from the Crypt TV show did.

Creepshow II never gets beyond OK.

Didn't bother with Creepshow III.
    My YouTube Channel: Grim Street Grindhouse
    My Top 100 Horror Movies OF ALL TIME.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I'm wondering what other consensus we have on MC with this. I could not get into the stories as easy as you have. The second one especially with the farmer/hick totally removed me. The humor and campiness engrosses the creepiness it wants to portray.

It's one of my horror favorites.

I just watched it about two weeks ago, and smiled through most of it.

I'm pretty sure I was oblivious to all of the intentional camp when I first saw it, and I used to detest that story, Duke. It seemed to stop the movie, and I would often hit FF until it was done or just skip ahead, but I honestly enjoy it now, especially the ending.

I think my extensive collection of EC Comics made me appreciate it all the more.
    My Mom - 10

Quote Quoting jenniferofthejungle (view post)
    It's one of my horror favorites.

I just watched it about two weeks ago, and smiled through most of it.

I'm pretty sure I was oblivious to all of the intentional camp when I first saw it, and I used to detest that story, Duke. It seemed to stop the movie, and I would often hit FF until it was done or just skip ahead, but I honestly enjoy it now, especially the ending.

I think my extensive collection of EC Comics made me appreciate it all the more.

Watching that one was pretty fun

I think we could work that one into our regular, go-to rotation.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."