Page 2642 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1642214225422592263226402641264226432644265226922742 ... LastLast
Results 66,026 to 66,050 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I honestly can't remember, but I'm sure it has to be a Disney. The mom comforting her child in Dumbo or the gunshot in Bambi. And my first tears of terror had to be either Doom in Roger Rabbit ("Remember me, Eddie?") or the boy turning into a mule in Pinocchio. Even more than Monstro the Whale, the thought of transforming into a jackass and being captured and taken away cued into some sort of primal terror. Maybe my growing-up-Catholic anxiety that one bad sin is all it would take.

The first movie to make me cry was Fluke. I was really taken aback by the twist.

http://mondotees.com/blogs/news/6561...-vinyl-box-set

Fuuuuck this looks so cool. Love the art. Wish there was more music, but still. Why is this coming out now, near Christmas, and I just bought a house. I can't do it.

EDIT: Well fuck me it's already sold out anyway. Major sads either way.
    Last edited by Wryan; 11-18-2015 at 11:11 PM.
    "How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

--Homer

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Mine has to be My Girl
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Cry? Paper Moon probably back in '73.

Quote Quoting dreamdead (view post)
    So Byrkit's Coherence is streaming on Amazon Prime and it's every bit the smart puzzle it was made out to be. The whole exploration of parallel universes is credibly made through snarky inferences about Sliding Doors and other films, but it's last twenty minutes takes the premise much deeper than it initially seems.

If there's a flaw to this film, and I think it is a slight error, it's that Emily, our lead, lacks just a bit of dimensionality to make her rash decisions more tragic. There's a sense through the first hour that the film could choose to zero in on any one of the ensemble cast, but that openness (while logical given the film's thematic focus) also undercuts the climax just a little too much for it to resonate more fully.
    Loved this - but I couldn't tell a couple of the white male actors apart which made things even more confusing

Max Landis sucks

I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    I know, I've been absent from this thread (and, on occasion, this site) for a long time. I take these long breaks. :P
    That's okay. I've been largely absent from message boards in general this year. Also I really liked Spectre.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

I may need to make a specific thread for it, because I doubt anyone wanders into it, but Bone Tomahawk may be the kickass genre movie of the year.

Scar, this is your kinda thing.

Kurt Russell, Cannibal Troglodytes, Western, and a bloody as hell final forty minutes. Hell yes, this was awesome.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I may need to make a specific thread for it, because I doubt anyone wanders into it, but Bone Tomahawk may be the kickass genre movie of the year.

Kurt Russell, Cannibal Troglodytes, Western, and a bloody as hell final forty minutes. Hell yes, this was awesome.
    Still need to see it.

I've heard the finale is pretty sick and intense.

Who in the what now? Color me intrigued.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Who in the what now? Color me intrigued.
    Was hoping to get your attention.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Quote Quoting Wryan (view post)
    There's no individual thread for Spectre, so I'll give my thoughts here:

What the fuck is this? Jesus Christ what...is...this? Is this a Bond movie for people who have literally never seen a Bond movie? This is inept, lazy, unforgivably dumb. It barely sneaks past the level of parody presented by Austin Powers. The plotting leaves the mouth agape--"Ah! You may think everything is clear, but it's far more complicated and beautiful than you could imagine"...and then does nothing with it, adds nothing significant. This is supposed to be the culmination of all the Craig Bond villains. Did entire scenes get removed? The action scenes are anemic. Bautista adds just about the only flair. The rest is garbage. I'm baffled. Gives an entirely different (and depressing) meaning to "a return to form."

EDIT: And stop pausing so goddamn much! Tighten this shit up and you could have lost like 20 minutes.
    Yeah, I was pretty disappointed with Spectre. Apart from a few good action sequences it has very little going for it. Seems like they just strung together a lot of bad Bond cliches and called it a day.

How the fuck do we not have a Spectre thread? MC is so lazy.

- - - - -
    You've got a time capsule and can put one moment from a film in it. What would it be?

BOYLE Oh, it's the bone, isn't it? In 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's that cut from the bone to the spaceship. That says something about us, our history encapsulated.

INARRITU I remember scenes or moments of film that even now I don't understand, but I felt some revelation. Like Stalker from [Andrei] Tarkovsky. Every time I saw that film, I was just saying, "What does this mean?" I am just feeling a revelation of human experience that connects me with something, an intuition. It's about the point of view and a singular vision, right? So every shot is not a resource to tell the story. That shot reveals who you are.

SCOTT You can make a feature film about a pen, depending on what your vision is. It's just that simple. The biggest single word is vision.

HOOPER The match being blown out in Lawrence of Arabia. That cut from the match-blow to the landscape. As a young child, I experienced that on the big screen in the Prince Charles Cinema in Leicester Square, which is the only cinema in London that played those great movies. And there was something so extraordi*nary about it, but you couldn't explain it or put it into words. That moment still seems mysterious.

SCOTT [The whole of] Muriel's Wedding. I've seen it six times. It's fantastic.

TARANTINO I kind of reject the question. Because I don't know if it would mean anything for future generations or alien creatures. [But] I would probably take a really magnificent cinematic action scene. I'm not going to go through that, 'cause I'm sure I won't like what I chose — OK, I will: The climax of Jackie Chan's Police Story 3, directed by Stanley Tong. That's a sequence that aliens would watch and be amazed by. That could actually give you an understanding of cinema, in all of its bells and whistles and movement.
    This from THR's director's roundtable, featuring Quentin Tarantino, Ridley Scott, David O. Russell, Danny Boyle, Tom Hooper and Alejandro G. Inarritu.

Good read.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fea...tt-four-846682

Curious what people here would pick in response.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    Wryan may have been too lazy, but we did make one.
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Lesser people would have checked first.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

So it's been at least 15 years since I saw it, but I remember loving The Ref as a Christmas comedy. Can anyone confirm if it is actually good?

I know for a fact that I still quote "You know what this family needs? A mute." regularly
    ...and the milk's in me.

Was hoping to get your attention.
    I shall rectify this hopefully over the weekend.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

There were 8 movies in 2015 that grossed more than $200 mil domestically. 9 if you include MI5 (195 Mil) and 10 if you include Star Wars.

- - - - -
    I'm watching The Intern with Hathaway and DeNiro. Although it's fine as passive entertainment, part of me wouldn't be upset if I were struck blind in the next, oh, five minutes or so.

There were 8 movies in 2015 that grossed more than $200 mil domestically. 9 if you include MI5 (195 Mil) and 10 if you include Star Wars.
    Is that a record? I'm assuming.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Is that a record? I'm assuming.
    No actually. Bad year for Hollywood.

2014 we had 13 movies gross over $200 domestically
    2013 we had 13
    2012 we had 11
    2011 we had 7
    2010 we had 10
    2009 we had 10

Overhearing my co-workers misidentify "What we've got here is failure to communicate" as a line from Apocalypse Now is bothering me more than it probably should.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***