Page 2620 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1620212025202570261026182619262026212622263026702720 ... LastLast
Results 65,476 to 65,500 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Did anybody here actually make it through Troy? I had to bail after an hour. That was after giving it a second chance. Stunning in its awful.

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Did anybody here actually make it through Troy? I had to bail after an hour. That was after giving it a second chance. Stunning in its awful.
    I made it through, but it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

That, Kingdom of Heaven, and probably 2-3 others of that variety were never completed by me.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    Only tried once and never even made it to the hour mark. Truly abysmal on all levels.

Troy is pretty silly, but we have slim pickings when it comes to Greek mythology movies, so I'll take what I can get. It's certainly better than headache-inducing Clash/Wrath of the Titans.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Never watched it. Saw the spear fight on Youtube between Bana and Pitt. Thought it was pretty good. Like a less awesome Rob Roy scene.

Quote Quoting Dukefrukem (view post)
    I made it through, but it was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
    I saw it in theaters, so had no choice than to sit through it. Pure hell.

And the Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut is underrated. I think the studio hacked it to pieces.

Quote Quoting Watashi (view post)
    Troy is pretty silly, but we have slim pickings when it comes to Greek mythology movies, so I'll take what I can get.
    Pasolini's Oedipus Rex is pretty awesome. Also, I haven't seen his version of Medea but Lars von Trier's is pretty trippy.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Replacing Luck Since 1984 Dukefrukem's Avatar
    Quote Quoting DSNT (view post)
    I saw it in theaters, so had no choice than to sit through it. Pure hell.

And the Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut is underrated. I think the studio hacked it to pieces.
    I saw it in theaters as well.

And I was going to bring up the KoH DC after E's post. I still think both movies are bad, but the DC is a tad better.
    Twitch / Youtube / Film Diary

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    Uwe Boll movies > all Marvel U movies
    Quote Quoting TGM (view post)
    I work in grocery. I have not gotten sick. My fellow employees have not gotten sick. If the virus were even remotely as contagious as its being presented as, why haven’t entire store staffs who come into contact with hundreds of people per day, thousands per week, all falling ill in mass nationwide?

KoH: DC is an oft-cited "worst film I've ever seen" by me. Compared to Troy, it seems exquisite and masterful.

The only thing I remember about Kingdom of Heaven is Edward Norton's masked performance which I thought was very good.

Also, how Liam Neeson played the Crusader version of Qui-Gon Jinn.
    Sure why not?

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (Rian Johnson) - 9
    STRONGER (David Gordon Green) - 6
    THE DISASTER ARTIST (James Franco) - 7
    THE FLORIDA PROJECT (Sean Baker) - 9
    LADY BIRD (Greta Gerwig) - 8

"Hitchcock is really bad at suspense."
    - Stay Puft

Jason and the Argonauts, anyone?

I saw the restored Pasolini's Medea recently. Can't imagine how Von Trier's version could manage to be trippier.

I saw Jason and the Argonauts at the cinema last year. It's really boring when the Ray Harryhausen parts aren't going on.

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    I saw Jason and the Argonauts at the cinema last year. It's really boring when the Ray Harryhausen parts aren't going on.
    Bah.

::waves hand dismissively::

I watched the Czechoslovakian film Ucho (The Ear) recently. It's about a married couple who return home from a party. The husband is a government official and his boss has just been arrested. He believes that his home is bugged (he calls the bug "the ear"). His wife is drunk and mocks his paranoia, and sometimes talks to "the ear" sarcastically.

It's pretty amazing that the film was even made. I think it may have been made during the Prague Spring era, when Czechoslovakia briefly experimented with liberalization before being crushed by the Soviet Union. I was occasionally reminded of The Lives of Others, about a similar topic, but while that film was about a past event, Ucho was made by people who were actually living it, and there is a sense of immediacy and terror that is absent in The Lives of Others.

So, I watched Bloodsport the other night for the first time in about 20 years. A few observations:

• I'm pretty sure the guy who did the soundtrack for this movie took the sound track to the animated transformers movie from the same era, replaced in the lyrics "you've got the touch!" with "my body's on the line tonight!" and called it a day.
    • Jean Claude Van Damme is contractually required to show his ass on any film that doesn't also star Sylvester Stallone.
    • Jean Claude's curious outfit consisting of a tank top with front cut down to just below his chest, and slacks yanked up to just an inch below that could not have made it easy for him to elude Forrest Whittacker, who was actually pretty fit back then.
    • Every actor sharing a scene with Jean Claude was visibly embarrassed to be second fiddle to someone who's acting was that bad.
    • Bolo Yeung's left and right pecs are remote controlled.
    • Van Damme's delivery of lines is like Shatner's, except take all of Shatner's pauses, and bunch them in the center of Van Damme's statement. (eg. To honor you [pause] [pause] [pause] [pause] [pause] means everything to me.)
    • The kid who played young Van Damme is missing parts of his brain.

Thoughts?
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Yeah, it hasn't been twenty years. You were probably too drunk to remember watching it at my house.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

I've been meaning to watch Bloodsport. I don't think I ever watched it back in the VHS days. I remember Double Impact fairly well. The whole "one actor playing twins" seemed mind blowing to 11-year-old me (I hadn't discovered Dead Ringers yet).

Speaking of 80s action, Rambo II holds up pretty well if you divorce yourself from the politics and how parodied it was after it came out. Actually, the politics are a bit more slippery than people remember. There's a lot of rage towards the bureaucrats who use soldiers as pawns in war that I think even a lot of left leaning people can get behind. I love the scene where Rambo just melts down and unloads a M-60 on a bunch of computers when he gets back. I think that's even more symbolic now to what war has become.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Just don't watch Rambo III.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

First 25 minutes of Besson's Le Femme Nikita I was utterly perplexed as to what I was watching. After all of the training business, though, the film really perks up. The balance between Nikita and the two men who desire her was complex for Beson's standards, and Anne Parillaud has a really interesting screen persona throughout. Surprising good finale throughout.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Just don't watch Rambo III.
    It's tempting. It can't be worse than Cobra...OR CAN IT?!
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Quote Quoting Scar (view post)
    Yeah, it hasn't been twenty years. You were probably too drunk to remember watching it at my house.
    Yeah, I was too drunk. I have ZERO recollection of having watched it at your place.
    Losing is like fertilizer: it stinks for a while, then you get used to it. (Tony, Hibbing)

Quote Quoting bac0n (view post)
    Yeah, I was too drunk. I have ZERO recollection of having watched it at your place.
    Yeah, that sums up most of our get togethers over here.

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    It's tempting. It can't be worse than Cobra...OR CAN IT?!
    Ooof. Its probably better than Cobra. But thats not saying anything.

Skip to the orgy of violence known as Rambo, ie Rambo IV.

Bah Rambo III>Rambo II and IV. Still I like all of the entries in the series, even though Rambo IV left something to be desired.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?