Page 2531 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 1531203124312481252125292530253125322533254125812631 ... LastLast
Results 63,251 to 63,275 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    Because it's awesome. At least, that's what the latest research indicates.
    Current research indicates that this post is correct.

And awesome.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting elixir (view post)
    lol at using the imdb top list as some indicator of value. it's an average movie.
    I knew someone would say this, but I kind of understand why most of the films in the imdb top 50 are popular even if I think some of them are overrated. I'm just at a loss as to why Leon is considered much better by imdb voters than say, Bound or Go or other films of its ilk.
    Ratings on a 1-10 scale for your pleasure:

Top Gun: Maverick - 8
    Top Gun - 7
    McCabe & Mrs. Miller - 8
    Crimes of the Future - 8
    Videodrome - 9
    Valley Girl - 8
    Summer of '42 - 7
    In the Line of Fire - 8
    Passenger 57 - 7
    Everything Everywhere All at Once - 6

Gushing Prayer Kurious Jorge v3.1's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Does anyone want to make a passionate defense of Leon/The Professional? It's an ok movie and certainly Gary Oldman hams it up well, but why the hell is this in the top 50 on imdb? Am I missing something?
    yeah its a bland film, but Oldman's intense overacting is the best thing about it.

Arrebato (Zulueta - '80) 89
    Elegia (Huszarik - '65) 95
    Szinbad (Huszarik - '71) 77
    Temptation of St. Tony (Ounpuu - '09) 80
    Marguriete of the Night (Autant-Lara - '55)62
    Kadin Hamlet (Erksan - '77) 52
    Passion of a Darkly Noon (Ridley - '94) 79
    Endangered Species (Rudolph - '82) 65
    Made in Heaven (Rudolph -'87) 20
    High Hopes (Leigh - '88) 74

[/COLOR]

I watched a double feature of Samsara and Drawing Restraint 9 last night.

Samsara - Righteous and wonderous filmmaking. So much better than the only other Fricke I have seen (Chronos).

Drawing Restraint 9 - Pretentious crap.

Also, I just watched Ken Jacobs' short THE DOCTOR'S DREAM. My opinion of Jacobs is going up a bit with this one, very similar to Cornell's ROSE HOBART in its lucid reworking of found footage - consisting of various doctor visits from old hollywood films. Cut together they make little sense narratively but the cohesiveness of tone amongst the footage is astounding, as if their was a playbook amongst filmmakers on how to make a sincere doctor visit scene.

[/COLOR]

I watched Samsara last night too. Ebert called it uplifting, but I found much of it unsettling. Particularly the scenes of religious fervor.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

Quote Quoting Spinal (view post)
    I watched Samsara last night too. Ebert called it uplifting, but I found much of it unsettling. Particularly the scenes of religious fervor.
    Uplifting is a bit of a stretch seeing that besides a lot of natural beauty and artistic expression it also focuses on human destruction of the planet and those very unsettling religious fervor you alluded to, especially the time-lapse scene in Mecca which really was beautiful but almost claustrophobic because of the swarms of people.

I though it was one of the better time-lapse films, although I still have yet to see any of the qatsi trilogy.

[/COLOR]

Quote Quoting B-side (view post)
    Just found out Nick is writing for Slant now? That's amazing. Congrats.
    So that's why he hardly posts here anymore. Lucky guy.

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I just saw baby doll's **1/2 rating for Dolls, and I thought, "My God, I can finally talk to him about something and maybe even agree!"

Then I realized the rating was for Takeshi Kitano's interlocking-vignette feature, and not that Stuart Gordon movie where the dollmakers attack unwanted visitors with an army of killer dolls.

I don't belong...here...
    I forgot about the Gordon Dolls. That movie sounds shittastic.

The Professional is an entertaining action movie with heart and great performances from its main trio of actors. I loved it.

Demme's Stop Making Sense really makes me want to have been able to see the Talking Heads in the mid-80s. A phenomenal piece of tour footage and conceptual storytelling... love the closing song with its immense guitar solo, and "Once in a Lifetime" retains its power so well.
    One of the best concert movies I've ever seen. I realize that as I go through their discography my main problem with The Talking Heads is that they are truly best live. Still one of the best bands of the 80s, regardless.

Bullitt is one of my favorite cop movies. They don't make them 'em like they used to, that's for sure, and its one of McQueen's best performances. That car chase is excellent, but I prefer the movie's quieter, more suspenseful moments.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

The chicken sucking machine is horrifying.

By the way, Samsara and Drawing Restraint 9 back to back? That's an attention span I do not have.
    Coming to America (Landis, 1988) **
    The Beach Bum (Korine, 2019) *1/2
    Us (Peele, 2019) ***1/2
    Fugue (Smoczynska, 2018) ***1/2
    Prisoners (Villeneuve, 2013) ***1/2
    Shadow (Zhang, 2018) ***
    Oslo, August 31st (J. Trier, 2011) ****
    Climax (Noé, 2018) **1/2
    Fighting With My Family (Merchant, 2019) **
    Upstream Color (Carruth, 2013) ***

By the way, Samsara and Drawing Restraint 9 back to back? That's an attention span I do not have.
    I'll admit to being on the computer during parts of Drawing Restraint 9. Now that I have seen DR9 and a couple Cremasters I can say Barney's style is way too unemotional and clinical for me. I started watching Doug Aitken's video works from the 90's and I dig those quite a bit more than Barney's work.

Quote Quoting Winston* (view post)
    The chicken sucking machine is horrifying.
    yeah that was wretched, as well as the trash/landfill scenes.

A few new viewings today:

New York, New York (Scorsese): Always had heard this was Scorsese's weakest but I think it has more of his touch than his bland DiCaprio vehicles from the 2000's. Liza and Deniro are very good and there are several very poetic scenes. The ending is a bit tacky. All in all, a pretty average film, Scorsese getting his Vincent Minnelli on.

Pollock (Ed Harris): Pollock was a crabby alcoholic who hated on his artistic peers and influences and cared too much about what critics and friends thought of him. Thats all. It's possible to portray a tortured artist less one dimensionally than this boring film - I think John Maybury's Francis Bacon film Love is the Devil does a tremendous feat of humanizing a misanthrope.

Doug Aitken Compilation: A compilation of his 90's video art I downloaded on KG. "The Fear" and "Eraser" were probably the two best videos as well as the auctioneer one that I can't remember the name of. I also watched a stand-alone Aitken short called Into the Sun which experiments with footage taken from sets and stages in Bollywood, and also images of productions and faces of Bollywood stars from magazines.

[/COLOR]

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    There certainly is a lot that is gorgeous about Samsara, which I enjoyed best at its most eccentric (the office drone sculpting himself a new face, the double-barrel shotgun casket), but too much of the ethnographic portraiture and macrocosmic time-lapse imagery struck me as warmed-over Baraka (some of the locations from that film and Chronos are even revisited), while Fricke's social commentary is even blunter than in those films, but also more ambitious, for better and for worse. I've also grown really weary of those shots in which people stare back into the camera with an expressionless glare that has obviously been coached, it worked sparingly in Koyaanisqatsi but now comes across as kinda smug, and is that factory from Manufactured Landscapes the only one in China that allows access for filmmakers or what?
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

My thoughts on Samsara are similar to Rowland's.... and now you can all go join the (until now non-existent) discussion!:
    http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...a-(Ron-Fricke)
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    My thoughts on Samsara are similar to Rowland's.... and now you can all go join the (until now non-existent) discussion!:
    http://matchcut.artboiled.com/showth...a-(Ron-Fricke)
    Huh, I could have sworn I'd already voted in your thread. First nay!
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

New York, New York (Scorsese): Always had heard this was Scorsese's weakest but I think it has more of his touch than his bland DiCaprio vehicles from the 2000's. Liza and Deniro are very good and there are several very poetic scenes. The ending is a bit tacky. All in all, a pretty average film, Scorsese getting his Vincent Minnelli on.
    I haven't seen New York, New York but I don't think his collaborations with Leo have been bland. I'll admit though to liking both The Departed and Shutter Island way more than I probably should have, which makes me as guilty as Ebert is-he gave Shutter Island a higher rating than I did.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Paradise: Hope is definitely an experience. Second best of the Trilogy. Paradise: Faith lags way behind the other two.

[/COLOR]

I spent the first hour of William Wellman's The Ox-Bow Incident waiting for the inevitable rescue to the scandalized individuals about to be strung up by the indifferent crowd. When it became apparent that the first had other plans, I sat up and took notice. The film had mutated to something far more interesting and contestatory: it became an indictment of the sort of vigilante justice that 1930s-40s film valorized. As this film undercut the sentiments of those other films, the film closed with the ultimate Henry Fonda monologue, which transcended The Grapes of Wrath's monologue through its even more universal mentality.

Excellent stuff, and the type of anti-Western that succeeds in part because it uses Hollywood conventions against itself.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    Does anyone want to make a passionate defense of Leon/The Professional? It's an ok movie and certainly Gary Oldman hams it up well, but why the hell is this in the top 50 on imdb? Am I missing something?
    I love it. The way they present New York almost makes it seem like a European city to me. It's very romanticized there. The action sequences are different from each other, and incredibly well done. There's a story to the action sequences instead of mindless shooting. That's one of Luc Besson's biggest strengths.

The chemistry between Jean Reno and Natalie Portman also makes it work. Jean Reno's never quite matched that performance since. It's a very Sergio Leone type of role.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Barry Jenkins's Medicine for Melancholy is an interesting meet-cute film. Most centrally, it revitalizes the role of race in the "one night together" genre. The film has three or four explicit discussions about race relations, and the San Fran excursions into culture of racial significance resonate as some of the strongest moments, where characters are overwhelmed by the magnitude of what came before.

The late reveal of Wyatt Cynac's former girlfriend, however, similarly reveals a slightly essentialist attitude toward race. Had this couple not felt so schematically situated against former (or currently away) partners, it wouldn't have felt so overt. Nonetheless, I like the tinges of political commentary that the film records both about San Fran community and about how race is often glossed in these genres. As this film suggests, it's a powerful foundation and would benefit from a film willing to have a bit deeper discussion and understanding. This starts the conversation, but no one's erudite enough to get at deeper angles of the conversation.
    The Boat People - 9
    The Power of the Dog - 7.5
    The King of Pigs - 7

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    I love it. The way they present New York almost makes it seem like a European city to me. It's very romanticized there. The action sequences are different from each other, and incredibly well done. There's a story to the action sequences instead of mindless shooting. That's one of Luc Besson's biggest strengths.

The chemistry between Jean Reno and Natalie Portman also makes it work. Jean Reno's never quite matched that performance since. It's a very Sergio Leone type of role.
    All of what Ezee said too, heh. And while I was a fan of Jean Reno before I saw this movie (thanks to Godzilla-wasn't his fault that movie sucked-and Ronin) after watching The Professional I fully understood his appeal. I think I also like Natalie Portman as an actress more than most folks do around here.

dreamdead you are viewing some truly quality movies lately. The Ox-Bow Incident barely misses the cut for my Top 20 Westerns, but it is certainly a noteworthy film and very different from the type of films that populated the genre in the 1940s. I'm a tad fascinated at how Henry Fonda's performance in that film is in stark contrast to the villainous role he played decades later in Leone's classic Once Upon A Time In The West.

Oh and going through a director's filmography is enjoyable. I'm working through Cronenberg's at the moment, although there is one 70s film he made that was non-horror that I haven't watched yet, plus M. Butterfly-which I still need to rent from Netflix. I just watched Crash (1996).
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I was kinda disappointed with The 'burbs. It felt too broad, with only rare jokes attempted, let alone landing. The best moments involved the trio of "heroes" behaving like children and being admonished by Carrie Fisher. Given Dante's previous and later successes turning the suburbs inside out with unexpected threats, this seems like it's well within his wheelhouse, but it just came off as half-baked, and the double-twist at the end, complete with a tedious Theme Speech, didn't really pay off the satiric goals of the picture. I liked the bit where the two garbagemen (Dick Miller and Robert Picardo) bicker distantly about the right to search a neighbor's garbage. Maybe more sly efforts like that would've improved the story.

The 'burbs was my favorite movie when I was ~13, and I'm not sure I've seen it since I was 17 or so. Now I don't want to revisit it for fear of tarnishing the memory.

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I saw John Carpenter's The Thing last night, a beautiful 35mm print. I had somehow never seen it before. Goddamn. What a consummate piece of filmmaking.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)
    I saw John Carpenter's The Thing last night, a beautiful 35mm print. I had somehow never seen it before. Goddamn. What a consummate piece of filmmaking.
    I'm jealous.

And boo DaMU. Booo. I enjoyed The 'burbs when I saw it in my younger days, and then I revisited it a couple years back and still found it as funny and entertaining as ever. Plus I love its digs at suburbia, and the fact that once upon a time Tom Hanks did more comedy than drama. Plus Bruce Dern! Corey Feldman! Henry Gibson being creepy! In addition to the rest of the cast. Its my favorite Joe Dante movie, and doesn't get enough love even though Gremlins is the better film.
    BLOG

Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    In addition to the rest of the cast. Its my favorite Joe Dante movie, and doesn't get enough love even though Gremlins is the better film.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    Joe Dante's suburbia-upended interests are significantly better achieved in Gremlins, and especially in Small Soldiers and Matinee. Those films have more confidence in what they want to depict, and that allows them to play the satire with more subtlety and edge. The 'burbs is just too broad and obvious, and I honestly think that the

[
    ]