Page 2376 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 13761876227623262366237423752376237723782386242624762876 ... LastLast
Results 59,376 to 59,400 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

pushing too many pencils Rowland's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    In other Facebook filmmaker news, Monte Hellman is encouraging his thousands of friends to give Road to Nowhere a '10' on IMDB.
    I'd probably give it a 3 or 4. Sorry Monte.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    The Long Riders (Hill) ***
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    Another 48 Hrs. (Hill) ***
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec (Besson) ***
    /Unknown/ (Collet-Serra) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting elixir (view post)
    Though there are some perhaps interesting things being done with the possibilities of narrative, I suppose, but still anyway you interpret that ending it strikes me as obnoxious.
    Hmmm, why obnoxious? I admit that's a curious reaction to me. I didn't find anything about the film to be twee.

[
    ]

Quite interested to get your reaction to Oslo, August 31st (I already put some brief reactions in its thread).
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Quote Quoting Stay Puft (view post)
    Hmmm, why obnoxious? I admit that's a curious reaction to me. I didn't find anything about the film to be twee.

[
    ]

Quite interested to get your reaction to Oslo, August 31st (I already put some brief reactions in its thread).
    Hey, I really liked it actually. I suppose I focused on the negatives too much. As for twee, idk, I just found digressions like the opening one and various others in the first hour to just be a tad irritating and not revealing, whereas something like when Phillip imagines pushing his friend in the water and it triggers all these memories and pained desires and its just great...as are the two other passages i singled out.
    As for the end, obnoxious was an overstatement, but it sort of just fizzled out and,my subjective biases wanted more headon tackling of the subjects especially the tragic romance. Though you are right that it does do that in a certain way so i suppose it is just vague dissatisfaction...the ending, the fiction begins when it starts saying would i guess but im not sure...

Ill write in that that thread but i liked oslo even more and i certainly think trier is someone to watch.

Quote Quoting elixir (view post)
    Hey, I really liked it actually.
    Oh, I know! Your original post is fair, I just wanted clarification on why you found the ending obnoxious, so thanks for the reply.

As for the end, obnoxious was an overstatement, but it sort of just fizzled out and,my subjective biases wanted more headon tackling of the subjects especially the tragic romance. Though you are right that it does do that in a certain way so i suppose it is just vague dissatisfaction...the ending, the fiction begins when it starts saying would i guess but im not sure...
    [
    ]

Ill write in that that thread but i liked oslo even more and i certainly think trier is someone to watch.
    Oh, cool. I look forward to some impressions from someone who has seen it more recently (I tried to write something but my memory sucks too much for more than a single rambling paragraph).
    Giving up in 2020. Who cares.

maɬni – towards the ocean, towards the shore (Sky Hopinka) ***½
    Without Remorse (Stefano Sollima) *½
    The Marksman (Robert Lorenz) **
    Beckett (Ferdinando Cito Filomarino) *½
    Night Hunter (David Raymond) *

Quote Quoting Qrazy (view post)
    It's the most exciting thing that's happened in my life in many a moon.:sad:
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Quote Quoting Pop Trash (view post)
    I use it when talented directors fall back on their tropes too much and veer towards self-parody territory.

Such as:
    Wes Anderson's The Life Aquatic
    PT Anderson's Magnolia
    Tarantino's Death Proof (which I still liked for the most part)
    Baumbach's Margot at the Wedding
    David Lynch's Wild at Heart
    To name a few examples.

I didn't hate any of these (well maybe Wild at Heart), but it felt like the directors were spinning their wheels and not getting out of their comfort zone enough. Or in the case of Magnolia: reading their own "he's a genius" fawning press and making something overcooked and overlong.
    Out of the ones I've seen on this list, I find The Life Aquatic and Wild At Heart to both be truly great movies. I liked Death Proof well enough, sure, but I don't think that it was self parody so much as QT making it really quickly, complete with the whole "I could direct a movie while in bed" mentality.

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    Well, the blu-ray for a trip to the moon looks astonishing

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Trip.../36593/#Review
    Whoa. That's a must buy/watch.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    Nobody warned me that Bottle Rocket was so much better than the rest of Anderson's films.
    Its better than The Darjeeling Limited/Hotel Chavalier and Fantastic Mr. Fox, but that's about it.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    Ah, same.
    Thoughts on Tourneur/Lewton films generally? I'm not sure if there are more I should see.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Thoughts on Tourneur/Lewton films generally? I'm not sure if there are more I should see.
    I've enjoyed the two I've seen -- I Walked with a Zombie and Cat People -- but I wasn't in love with them. Granted, I'm not big on horror in general, so it was likely inevitable that I wouldn't find them tremendously fruitful experiences. I hear The Leopard Man and The Seventh Victim are good.
    Last 5 Viewed

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

I've enjoyed the two I've seen -- I Walked with a Zombie and Cat People -- but I wasn't in love with them. Granted, I'm not big on horror in general, so it was likely inevitable that I wouldn't find them tremendously fruitful experiences. I hear The Leopard Man and The Seventh Victim are good.
    Hm. Seventh Victim sounds good. I'll check that one out.
    I am impatient of all misery in others that is not mad. Thou should'st go mad, blacksmith; say, why dost thou not go mad? How can'st thou endure without being mad? Do the heavens yet hate thee, that thou can'st not go mad?

lists and reviews

The Curse of the Cat People, its goofy name notwithstanding, is viewed by many, myself included on some days, as the best of Lewton's bunch, and it barely resembles a horror film.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    Okay, so like, I don't get how Universal Soldier: Regeneration was as good as it was.
    It's one of the best action films of the last few years, which is an amazing feat given its roots and pedigree. I hope its director John Hyams, son of super-hack Peter Hyams, has a productive career ahead of him. Since this film, he's made Dragon Eyes, which I believe may have actually just recently been released (trailer), and he has yet another Universal Soldier sequel scheduled to be released later this year.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

Quote Quoting Rowland (view post)
    It's one of the best action films of the last few years, which is an amazing feat given its roots and pedigree. I hope its director John Hyams, son of super-hack Peter Hyams, has a productive career ahead of him. Since this film, he's made Dragon Eyes, which I believe may have actually just recently been released (trailer), and he has yet another Universal Soldier sequel scheduled to be released later this year.
    Or not given that my granny could have made a sequel superior to part two. . But yeah fun movie although part of the charm was sort of The Expendables factor in that aging action stars should never die.
    [+] closer to next rating / [-] closer to previous rating

• Dark (S3) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Fall (Mann, 2022) ✦✦✦½ [-]
    • Ms. Marvel (S1) ✦½ [+]
    • Dark (S2) ✦✦✦✦
    • Moon Knight (S1) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Get Carter (Hodges, 1971) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Prey (Trachtenberg, 2022) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Black Bird (S1) ✦✦✦✦
    • Better Call Saul (S6) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Halo (S1) ✦✦✦ [-]
    • Slow Horses (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • H4Z4RD (Govaerts, 2022/BE) ✦✦½ [-]
    • Gangs of London (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • We Own This City (S1) ✦✦✦½ [+]
    • Thor: Love and Thunder (Waititi, 2022) ✦✦ [+]

High Noon kinda confuses me. I went in thinking it was going to be an allegorical critique of McCarthyism -- this idea formed mostly around the fact that John Wayne hated it and called it the most un-American movie ever made -- but I didn't come out thinking that. It was probably a dumb idea to go in thinking that. Rather, the film seems to me to be a pretty blunt endorsement of the sort of bullheaded, misguided politics of the Red Scare. Kane is made to be the lone brave man in town. The only person willing to take on the murderers. Everybody else is too afraid or indifferent. Granted, the situation is complicated just a bit by his wife's pacifism and the recruitment scenes in the bar and church, but that wasn't enough to truly gray the black and white ethics at play. Zinnemann was German, so you might think he'd have a slightly different take on this, and it was produced by Stanley Kramer, who was supposedly liberal. Obviously, to be a fan of westerns, one has to be able to tolerate macho politics, and I can appreciate a narrative endorsing bravery, but the political atmosphere surrounding this one is making me reel a bit. Typically, I don't allow speculative politics to dictate my opinion of a movie much, if at all, so this is a tough situation.
    Last 5 Viewed

- - - - -
    Well on the bright side (ha!), we got Rio Bravo out of it, so that turned out to be a good deal.

Shocking Seductive Spiral Thirdmango's Avatar
    Life Aquatic is my personal favorite Anderson.

High Noon kinda confuses me. I went in thinking it was going to be an allegorical critique of McCarthyism -- this idea formed mostly around the fact that John Wayne hated it and called it the most un-American movie ever made -- but I didn't come out thinking that. It was probably a dumb idea to go in thinking that. Rather, the film seems to me to be a pretty blunt endorsement of the sort of bullheaded, misguided politics of the Red Scare. Kane is made to be the lone brave man in town. The only person willing to take on the murderers. Everybody else is too afraid or indifferent. Granted, the situation is complicated just a bit by his wife's pacifism and the recruitment scenes in the bar and church, but that wasn't enough to truly gray the black and white ethics at play. Zinnemann was German, so you might think he'd have a slightly different take on this, and it was produced by Stanley Kramer, who was supposedly liberal. Obviously, to be a fan of westerns, one has to be able to tolerate macho politics, and I can appreciate a narrative endorsing bravery, but the political atmosphere surrounding this one is making me reel a bit. Typically, I don't allow speculative politics to dictate my opinion of a movie much, if at all, so this is a tough situation.
    The bad guys in the film are supposed to represent McCarthyism, not communism. The people in the film are afraid to stand up to them, as people in America were afraid to stand up against it. They're willing to leave the victims of McCarthy to deal with it by themselves.

Quote Quoting Morris Schæffer (view post)
    But yeah fun movie although part of the charm was sort of The Expendables factor in that aging action stars should never die.
    And unlike The Expendables, it really mines that subtext in a relatively rich manner, by DTV standards for sure.
    Letterboxd rating scale:
    Furious 7 (Wan) **½
    Hard Times (Hill) ****½
    /48 Hrs./ (Hill) ***½
    Animal (Simmons) **

The Curse of the Cat People, its goofy name notwithstanding, is viewed by many, myself included on some days, as the best of Lewton's bunch, and it barely resembles a horror film.
    I much prefer the last three Val Lewton's over the earlier films.

The Body Snatcher
    Isle of the Dead
    Bedlam

The only Val Lewton produced movies I haven't seen yet are Curse of the Cat People, Ghost Ship and Bedlam. I have TCM to thank for that. Also the TCM documentary on Val Lewton was really quite good and very interesting.

As much as I like discussing politics, I've viewed High Noon twice and really have not even been interested by why it was made, or what the movie's symbolism is. I just find it to be an expertly made, truly great western with film performances from its talented cast.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Ezee E
    Possession (1981) - ****
    I'm really thinking about seeing this when it comes to my arthouse theater near me soon as a repertory film. However, I saw the trailer for it before Battle Royale, and my friends who saw it with me chuckled over how cheesy it looked. Is this not the case?
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Quote Quoting Mr. McGibblets (view post)
    The bad guys in the film are supposed to represent McCarthyism, not communism. The people in the film are afraid to stand up to them, as people in America were afraid to stand up against it. They're willing to leave the victims of McCarthy to deal with it by themselves.
    Indeed.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Ivan Drago (view post)
    I'm really thinking about seeing this when it comes to my arthouse theater near me soon as a repertory film. However, I saw the trailer for it before Battle Royale, and my friends who saw it with me chuckled over how cheesy it looked. Is this not the case?
    It's amazing. In my top 10 (see my av). It's so unhinged and portentous that you might find it cheesy, but it seems like something you'd like.

EDIT: also, it seems like something you could enjoy for its ridiculousness even if you didn't think it was great.

lists and reviews

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I prefer the straightforward success of Cat People to Curse, although the latter is still excellent in my eyes.

Honestly, I love The Leopard Man the most right now.

Quote Quoting Russ (view post)
    I hope you do. Seriously, I don't think you'll regret it.
    Yeah. It's pretty much a whole other movie.

Quote Quoting Melville (view post)
    Hm. Seventh Victim sounds good. I'll check that one out.
    Yeah I think it's my favorite of all those.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+