Page 2252 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 12521752215222022242225022512252225322542262230223522752 ... LastLast
Results 56,276 to 56,300 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting Derek
    Heartbeats (Dolan, 2010) *
    Hmm, this is overly harsh.

He comes off as a bit grumpy in that interview, but overall I'd like to meet him and talk about cinema. At some point I should probably watch one of his movies.

Dirty Harry has an excellent foot chase that ends in a shooting.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Quote Quoting Brightside (view post)
    Is Manhunter worth seeing? Like, does it feel at all like a Michael Mann film?
    It's not very good... but you'd probably like it.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Quote Quoting Boner M (view post)
    Hmm, this is overly harsh.
    Nah, it's really a pretty obnoxious, empty film far more interested in revelling in its slick style and fashion consciousness than actually examining character relationships, which is kind of like the only thing the film actually focuses on. It does a terrible job developing the central friendship (in that it doesn't), so you're left with a love triangle and a crumbling friendship between two people who never even seemed to like one another. Dolan's stylistic ticks could have worked in a better film, but here they just glaze over the hollowness, trying to add genuine emotional resonance in a film that's too solipsistic to bother with anything resembling true emotions.

The one in Brick is awesome as well.
    I can't give enough rep for this comment

I much prefer the one in Point Break. Corman's A Bucket of Blood has a good one too.

Gamera trilogy will be released on Bluray on Sept 27th, and Amazon will be selling it for a whopping $12.99.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...99_Amazon/7510
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Is Manhunter worth seeing? Like, does it feel at all like a Michael Mann film?
    The finale w/ In A Gadda Davida blasting is good.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

It's been years since I've seen Brick and I didn't care for it, but I remember laughing hysterically at something during that scene. Doesn't the pursuing thug run face first into a locker or something? Or does he trip and fall on something?

Quote Quoting MadMan (view post)
    He comes off as a bit grumpy in that interview, but overall I'd like to meet him and talk about cinema. At some point I should probably watch one of his movies.

Dirty Harry has an excellent foot chase that ends in a shooting.
    I can't blame him for being a little grumpy, though. He's struggled to produce films his entire career, and it only seems to be getting worse. He's understandably a bit bitter.:P
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Brightside, I'm getting ready to watch The Sun Shines Bright. I think you've mentioned it before?

Quote Quoting soitgoes... (view post)
    Brightside, I'm getting ready to watch The Sun Shines Bright. I think you've mentioned it before?
    It's wonderful.

Nice Imitation of Life rating, btw.
    Last 5 Viewed

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

Quote Quoting Derek (view post)
    Nah, it's really a pretty obnoxious, empty film far more interested in revelling in its slick style and fashion consciousness than actually examining character relationships, which is kind of like the only thing the film actually focuses on. It does a terrible job developing the central friendship (in that it doesn't), so you're left with a love triangle and a crumbling friendship between two people who never even seemed to like one another. Dolan's stylistic ticks could have worked in a better film, but here they just glaze over the hollowness, trying to add genuine emotional resonance in a film that's too solipsistic to bother with anything resembling true emotions.
    I dunno, the relationships are pretty sketchily defined/developed but I think Dolan does use his style to capture a swooniness that's vivid enough to overshadow the overall shallowness of the venture. The sounds of the knives hitting the cutting board at the beginning to underscore the mutual attraction to his and the girl's discovery of their object of desire was particularly ingenious.

It's wonderful.

Nice Imitation of Life rating, btw.
    Ford's film is definitely an improvement over Judge Priest. Winninger kills it, surprisingly trumping Rogers in the Priest role. The best part of the film is Ford's weaving of all the storylines, giving just enough attention to each without losing control of the flow of the film. The Jeff Poindexter role still irritates me, but it is toned down compared to the earlier film. A film where the lead character spouts on about liberty, justice and equality, the old-timey Hollywood racism really smacks as being hypocritical, and undermines the film's main themes. Not a first tier Ford film, but still a very strong effort, which is refreshing when I'm watching a film so deep into a director's filmography. One thing about Ford, he rarely blows me away, but he also rarely disappoints.

Oh, and Imitation of Life, not sure if it's my favorite Sirk, but it's close.

Ford's film is definitely an improvement over Judge Priest. Winninger kills it, surprisingly trumping Rogers in the Priest role. The best part of the film is Ford's weaving of all the storylines, giving just enough attention to each without losing control of the flow of the film. The Jeff Poindexter role still irritates me, but it is toned down compared to the earlier film. A film where the lead character spouts on about liberty, justice and equality, the old-timey Hollywood racism really smacks as being hypocritical, and undermines the film's main themes. Not a first tier Ford film, but still a very strong effort, which is refreshing when I'm watching a film so deep into a director's filmography. One thing about Ford, he rarely blows me away, but he also rarely disappoints.

Oh, and Imitation of Life, not sure if it's my favorite Sirk, but it's close.
    I don't really mind the old-timey Hollywood racism. It's clear Ford had sympathy for other races. The "massa"-type blacks never leave Ford's work, and they're probably more historically accurate for that reason. Sergeant Rutledge has a more fully realized black character in the lead.
    Last 5 Viewed

I don't really mind the old-timey Hollywood racism. It's clear Ford had sympathy for other races. The "massa"-type blacks never leave Ford's work, and they're probably more historically accurate for that reason. Sergeant Rutledge has a more fully realized black character in the lead.
    I don't necessarily mind the Hollywood racism either. It's a product of the times. I do mind it when it interferes with the film's theme, like this one. Fetchit's character is more of a caricature. His role is one of comedic effect, and it uses his race to achieve that. It's a minor point, but enough to keep me from loving it outright. Still a solid film, that I recommend to those who haven't seen it.

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    I could have gone to a screening tonight for a movie that is being released later this year. But I had class so I couldn't go...

Yeah. I really really really should have gone. It was the kidn of movie you skip class for.

Quote Quoting eternity (view post)
    I could have gone to a screening tonight for a movie that is being released later this year. But I had class so I couldn't go...

Yeah. I really really really should have gone. It was the kidn of movie you skip class for.
    ...come on, just say the name of the movie.

Quote Quoting elixir (view post)
    It was Footloose.

Quote Quoting Lucky (view post)
    It's been years since I've seen Brick and I didn't care for it, but I remember laughing hysterically at something during that scene. Doesn't the pursuing thug run face first into a locker or something? Or does he trip and fall on something?
    He trips over a foot that steps out, and his head hits a water fountain or something.

Kind of a lowpoint in the movie for me personally.

Barbarian - ***
    Bones and All - ***
    Tar - **

twitter

Alone again, naturally eternity's Avatar
    Quote Quoting elixir (view post)
    MI4.

Where is the Friend's Home? is wonderful. Can't wait to see the rest of the trilogy.
    Last 5 Viewed

Where is the Friend's Home? is wonderful. Can't wait to see the rest of the trilogy.
    It's probably the best stand alone film of the trilogy. All three films are wonderful, and while I might say other trilogies have a stronger set of three films (Human Condition, Coming of Age trilogy, Three Colors), Kiarostami's probably the best trilogy as a whole, if that makes sense. It's interesting that Kiarostami dismisses the idea that the films constitute a trilogy when they obviously, and brilliantly, play off one another. And to think he was able to sneak in Close-Up right in the middle of the whole thing. An amazing run.

Coming of Age trilogy
    ?
    Last 5 Viewed

?
    I think he is referring to Hou's.