Page 1860 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 86013601760181018501858185918601861186218701910196023602860 ... LastLast
Results 46,476 to 46,500 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

I get some enjoyment out of the Rush Hour films. Haven't seen the 3rd yet.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

Montage, s'il vous plait? Raiders's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Sven (view post)
    I'm pretty amazed at how insulting the film is. And not from a racial point of view, although the litany of black/asian jokes ("jokes") is impressive. It's just an ugly ass plodding piece of shit with no timing. And it is only when in the presence of those that I get offended.
    Well, that's typically where white people draw the line.
    Recently Viewed:
    Thor: The Dark World (2013) **½
    The Counselor (2013) *½
    Walden (1969) ***
    A Hijacking (2012) ***½
    Before Midnight (2013) ***

Films By Year

In the belly of a whale Henry Gale's Avatar
    So last week I watched the original Halloween for the first time since I was pretty young, and though it's obviously an extremely well-made and influential horror movie, I've been struggling to pinpoint why I didn't have a strong reaction to it.

Aside from his use of pretty much the same two (now pretty iconic) themes in his score, Carpenter has such a tight grip on the material as a director as to what makes the use of location and pacing so effective in a film like this. He gives each scene something very different, making them seem realistic or morbidly comedic, whether they be scenes of conversations over the phone or death scenes.

What I think the problem is for me, watching it mostly fresh eyes at this point in time (the year, the decade, the current state of horror), is that so many of the key things that the film is made up of have been endlessly copied and retreaded without any unique touches to them, often in far less effective films to support them. Usually the things that become cliché over time is due to the fact that at one time they were brand new and worked brilliantly enough to be done again. But when it comes to something like a horror movie, which relies so much on your reaction to the unexpected as a viewer (as much as laughs function in comedies), I hate to think that it's really gotten to a point for me that so much of what's done here has been done so closely and soullessly in the thirty-plus years since its release that it's retroactively made them less effective.

It still stands on its own as a quality film, maybe as the only one in the series, but I still wish it had a little bit more of an identity to its beyond the titular setting, Jamie Lee Curtis and The Shape itself. I know it may not have been made to be looked at so critically so long after the time of its production and release (especially considering its budget and general tone), but I mostly just admired it as I watched it instead of being completely engrossed by it, and sadly I don't find that as immediately entertaining.
    Last 11 things I really enjoyed:

Speed Racer (Wachowski/Wachowski, 2008)
    Safe (Haynes, 1995)
    South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Parker, 1999)
    Beastie Boys Story (Jonze, 2020)
    Bad Trip (Sakurai, 2020)
    What's Up Doc? (Bogdanovich, 1972)
    Diva (Beineix, 1981)
    Delicatessen (Caro/Jeunet, 1991)
    The Hunger (Scott, 1983)
    Pineapple Express (Green, 2008)
    Chungking Express (Wong, 1994)

Scott of the Antarctic Milky Joe's Avatar
    I'm listening to this podcast with Armond White about Inception.

This guy is awesome.
    ‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

Quote Quoting Milky Joe (view post)

This guy is awesome.
    Link?

I really should see Inception some day.
    My Blog
    My Reviews
    Follow me on Twitter

It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

‎The severed arm perfectly acquitted itself, because of the simplicity of its wishes and its total lack of doubt.

I actually don't half mind Robocop 2.

It's much more of a straight-forward action movie than the first, but it's fun. I like it.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Quote Quoting balmakboor (view post)
    I really should see Inception some day.
    It's no hurry.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.

This guy is awesome.
    Also, the Slashfilm guys suck at debate.

This guy is awesome.
    I thought it was funny that he couldn't name a single other film reviewer he liked, and it's perhaps telling that he acts as if film criticism in its entirety was mainstream journalists (people like himself and Ebert) and internet fanboys with no mention at all of academic film criticism whatsoever.

And while his points were mainly dead-on (reviewers shouldn't simply be shills for product, and they should be able to analyze a film, and talk about it from a political standpoint--the moral thing I'll have to think about, but it's at least a position worth thinking about), it doesn't change the fact that White is a terrible writer. Even his spelling and grammar are bad, so it's hard for me to believe that he takes his craft as seriously as he claims to.
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

I don't think he's a bad writer at all, certainly not compared to, say, recent Roger Ebert reviews. I occasionally wonder who takes care of editing his stuff, though. Sometimes the typos seem almost wantonly unprofessional.

Also, I think he was being asked about mainstream film reviewers, not academic film criticism, which I gather those dimwits running the podcast barely even had a conception of. White often quotes other critics, so I doubt there's literally no one he finds worth reading.

"Free-for-all of enthusiasms rather than criticism." Yes.

Relating the proliferation of books in the 17th century... oh man. These guys make SO much less sense than they want to.

Those /film dudes come across as complete peabrained fanboy assclowns on that podcast. They unintentionally managed to make Armond's presence in the cineverse more crucial.

Sigh.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    Sigh.
    Will you please start an official Armond White thread? Pretty please?

Quote Quoting Skitch (view post)
    Will you please start an official Armond White thread? Pretty please?
    Even if there wasn't already one, why would I do that?
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

I was watching Jaws last night.

It's an immaculately made movie.

Dog Star Man, at least the prelude, wasn't boring at all; in fact, I had lots of fun identifying what constituted the vague shapes, quick flashes and small details that Brakhage shows us ("That's a snow-filled landscape." "Hey, a woman's crotch!" "Solar eruption, cool." "Whoa, now they're merging into each other!"); fascinating way of seeing our perception of things. Yeah, it's a bit too long at 25 minutes, but now I'm excited for the other parts.

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)

The first hour or so is almost Altmanesque in it's introduction of the island and its inhabitants. Such a well-directed movie.
    Last 10 Movies Seen
    (90+ = canonical, 80-89 = brilliant, 70-79 = strongly recommended, 60-69 = good, 50-59 = mixed, 40-49 = below average with some good points, 30-39 = poor, 20-29 = bad, 10-19 = terrible, 0-9 = soul-crushingly inept in every way)

Run
    (2020) 64
    The Whistlers
    (2019
    ) 55
    Pawn (2020) 62
    Matilda (1996) 37
    The Town that Dreaded Sundown
    (1976) 61
    Moby Dick (2011) 50

Soul
    (2020) 64

Heroic Duo
    (2003) 55
    A Moment of Romance (1990) 61
    As Tears Go By (1988) 65

Stuff at Letterboxd
    Listening Habits at LastFM

Quote Quoting transmogrifier (view post)
    The first hour or so is almost Altmanesque in it's introduction of the island and its inhabitants. Such a well-directed movie.

It's the first time I've watched it with a critical eye - in fact, it's the the first time I've actually sat down and watched it since I was about 12.

Spielberg's use of the camera is sublime. Even the simplest of movements and transitions is carried out with such fluid ease. And then there are some spectacularly inventive sequences, such as the part on the ferry where the Mayor tells Scheider he can't close the beach.

And then there are some spectacularly inventive sequences, such as the part on the ferry where the Mayor tells Scheider he can't close the beach.
    Yes. One of my favorite sequences in cinema.

I love the first 1/2 of the film, but I almost always lose interest once the chase begins. I think it goes on for far too long.

Quote Quoting D_Davis (view post)
    I love the first 1/2 of the film, but I almost always lose interest once the chase begins. I think it goes on for far too long.
    As one can imagine, I'm going to completely disagree with this statement.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting StanleyK (view post)
    Dog Star Man, at least the prelude, wasn't boring at all; in fact, I had lots of fun identifying what constituted the vague shapes, quick flashes and small details that Brakhage shows us ("That's a snow-filled landscape." "Hey, a woman's crotch!" "Solar eruption, cool." "Whoa, now they're merging into each other!"); fascinating way of seeing our perception of things. Yeah, it's a bit too long at 25 minutes, but now I'm excited for the other parts.
    Haha. Classic.
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

I love the shot where they're on the boat and the camera is looking up with Scheider in the frame and a shooting star streaks across the sky.