Page 1758 of 2880 FirstFirst ... 75812581658170817481756175717581759176017681808185822582758 ... LastLast
Results 43,926 to 43,950 of 71987

Thread: 28 Film Discussion Threads Later

Quote Quoting megladon8 (view post)
    the proposal - 5
    I was about to seriously question you about this, but then I remembered the movie I was thinking of was The Proposition. :lol:

New Canaan, where to the shepherd come the sheep.
    I was just on my first date with a girl, and she said that she didn't like what 3D did to cinematography and the frame. I'm in love.

Checked out one of those 3D TV's at Best Buy yesterday.

Fucking hated it.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Quote Quoting Dead & Messed Up (view post)
    I was just on my first date with a girl, and she said that she didn't like what 3D did to cinematography and the frame. I'm in love.
    And did you respond by discussing Peter Greenaway and the tyranny of the frame?
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Evil mind, evil sword. Ivan Drago's Avatar
    A lot of my family and friends hate 3D and refuse to see anything in it. Even when I read criticisms of the latest 3D releases, a lot of them say that 3D is there just for a $3 surcharge and nothing more. If only this wasn't what the industry was coming to.
    Last Five Films I've Seen (Out of 5)

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse (Mackesy, 2022) 4.5
    Puss In Boots: The Last Wish (Crawford, 2022) 4
    Confess, Fletch (Mottola, 2022) 3.5
    M3GAN (Johnstone, 2023) 3.5
    Turning Red (Shi, 2022) 4.5
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953) 5

615 Film
    Letterboxd

Saw both Black Dynamite and In the Loop tonight, practically back to back.

Quite a dichotomy, but I loved them both. Dynamite was ridiculous, but its parody was pitch perfect and it contains some singular lines of dialogue that are just uproariously bizarre, plus the scene where the gang uses convoluted circular reasoning to get from M&Ms to Little Richard had me in stitches. So much fun.

While I found In the Loop very well written and quite funny, I probably would have found it funnier if it didn't remind me of how I think that government often works. In that way, it just saddened me. Still, Peter Capaldi was pretty great here, and its always fun listening to Brits creatively curse at other people. So many great lines, with Jamie having my two favorites. The bit about Ice Man's parentage and the fact that the opera music was nothing but "government subsidized vowels" just had me rolling.

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    Comedy of Innocence is haunting and hypnotic. It's absolutely unlike any movie I've ever seen due to its unique visual style (which I am not terribly fond of, but it tends to work here) and its very strange, surreal mode of telling a story that is beyond comprehension. Ruiz's camera glides across sets that look more like stages. The whole thing isn't surreal enough to ever be dreamlike, but Ruiz seems to communicate with some sort of logic that understandably puts him right there with Borges and Greenaway intellectually; Ruiz just communicates visually very differently than Greenaway, and logically, perhaps not too different from Borges. I'd say as far as tone goes, it's probably most comparable to Inland Empire and in fact there's one early scene that reminded me of the Zabriskie/Dern encounter in the aforementioned Lynch wonder.

Nonetheless, Comedy of Innocence is again completely original. I didn't enjoy it all the way through, and sometimes it's actually borderline painful in its opaqueness, but it's obviously the work of a very important filmmaker, albeit a filmmaker whose style is completely foreign to me. Sometimes reminding me of some PBS theater show or some strange made-for-TV relic that's of a high quality the likes of which have never been seen. Although don't take this as reactionary hype--the movie is overall, aesthetically, strictly tier three filmgoing as far as I'm concerned. It's just tier three filmgoing that I've never seen before, and I'd be interested in seeing another movie by Ruiz out of sheer curiosity, particularly if he has better ones than this.

I'm glad you liked it, Clipper. It's certainly an elusive creature, but I have fun being navigated through Ruiz's worlds.
    Last 5 Viewed
    Riddick (David Twohy | 2013 | USA/UK)
    Night Across the Street (Raoul Ruiz | 2012 | Chile/France)*
    Pain & Gain (Michael Bay | 2013 | USA)*
    You're Next (Adam Wingard | 2011 | USA)
    Little Odessa (James Gray | 1994 | USA)*

*recommended *highly recommended

“It isn't easy to accept that suffering can also be beautiful... it's difficult. It's something you can only understand if you dig deeply into yourself.” -- Rainer Werner Fassbinder

twitter | next projection | criticker | frames within frames

You both have penises jammed deep inside your ears.

First of all, what you refer to as "little guitar riff" are, in reality, incredible, masterful guitar riffs by the brothers. Second, so they stick to what works for them. How is that a problem? So does Iron Maiden. "Their songs are all the same" is just untrue, though. And yes, they put on an incredible live show, but at the forefront is their amazing rock music. I just can't fathom how someone can be so wrong and hate on a classic like that.

Anyway, I watched Semi-Pro. Funny cast and good moments here and there, but give these people a fucking movie script. Completely forgettable. Loved Will Arnett's character.

I like AC/DC and Foreigner, haters be damned. Hotel California is great, but I find the Eagles to be mediocre. Still yelling "I hate the fuckin' Eagles, man" is always great fun. Bob Dylan rules of course. I've never seen a concert, but that's largely because most of the bands I truly love no longer exist, like Pink Floyd, the Doors, the Beatles, and Led Zeppelin.

Back to movies, The Naked Prey was one cool flick, quite badass in fact. I'm sure that if Raiders hasn't seen it, he would like it, but I think he has for some reason-it just seems like his type of movie. Wilde does a very good job of creating and maintaining tension, and the film is a stripped down action movie that probably inspired countless latter action movies down the road. I like that the movie isn't romantic at all in the slightest, although I'm sure that its detractors harp on its high amount of political incorrectness. Hey man, my response is that the hostile natives were more interesting than the nameless whitey man character, and that those people should then have a problem with the endless westerns made in a similar vein. Otherwise, they're hypocrites.
    BLOG

And everybody wants to be special here
    They call your name out loud and clear
    Here comes a regular
    Call out your name
    Here comes a regular
    Am I the only one here today?

Just saw Once Upon a Time in the West on the big screen. Piss off, other movies.

I can't wait for Malcolm Tucker as written by Alan Moore.
    Quote Quoting Donald Glover
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar
    Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    I saw Bob Dylan live and it was really a disappointment. Just a bad concert, no energy on display and no love shown towards the (huge) audience.

AC/DC, on the other hand... This is the second time a match-cut poster says he hates them. What the fuck is up with that?
    Bob Dylan almost never talks to the audience. Just the way he is. You shouldn't have been expecting it.

As for AC/DC, yes their songs sound the same, but they bring such phenomenal energy that it doesn't matter. I dig the hell out of them. Well, I dig their old stuff. Their new stuff, from Ballbreaker on, is awful.

I've seen Dylan twice. The first time was kind of disappointing. He never addressed the audience as usual, it was a theater so everyone's sitting, and he played songs, i think, mostly from Love and Theft. Just none of his energetic arrangements. He was on the keyboard the whole time and it was a bit jazzy and just... lifeless.

The second time was vastly different. It was a month after the release of Modern Times and it was in an auditorium and we were on the floor. Dylan was on guitar and put on a rock n' roll show and half of his set list were some of his most famous songs. It was honestly the best concert I've ever been to.
    I was actually just reading about Matt Damon and he’s like, ‘There’s a culture of outrage.’ I’m like, ‘Well, they have a reason to be outraged.’ I think it’s a lot of dudes just being scared. They’re like, ‘What if I did something and I didn’t realize it?’ I’m like, ‘Deal with it.’
    Movie Theater Diary

A Long Way to Tipperary MacGuffin's Avatar
    Quote Quoting number8 (view post)
    I've seen Dylan twice. The first time was kind of disappointing. He never addressed the audience as usual, it was a theater so everyone's sitting, and he played songs, i think, mostly from Love and Theft. Just none of his energetic arrangements. He was on the keyboard the whole time and it was a bit jazzy and just... lifeless.

The second time was vastly different. It was a month after the release of Modern Times and it was in an auditorium and we were on the floor. Dylan was on guitar and put on a rock n' roll show and half of his set list were some of his most famous songs. It was honestly the best concert I've ever been to.
    I'm hoping when I see him it's more like the second concert, and I'm thinking I have a good chance since I don't believe this concert is promoting a particular album.

Quote Quoting Grouchy (view post)
    You both have penises jammed deep inside your ears.

First of all, what you refer to as "little guitar riff" are, in reality, incredible, masterful guitar riffs by the brothers. Second, so they stick to what works for them. How is that a problem? So does Iron Maiden.
    I don't understand why you're using another bad band to talk up the first band. :P
    The Princess and the Pilot - B-
    Playtime (rewatch) - A
    The Hobbit - C-
    The Comedy - D+
    Kings of the Road - C+
    The Odd Couple - B
    Red Rock West - C-
    The Hunger Games - D-
    Prometheus - C
    Tangled - C+

Too much responsibility Kurosawa Fan's Avatar

Your second performance was like my first. I stood ten feet from him at Joe Louis Arena for 2 1/2 hours while he jammed to a set list of incredible song after incredible song. This was right after the release of Time Out of Mind. The last time I saw him on the Modern Times tour, the show was great (Foo Fighters opened for him doing an acoustic set), but it was at the Palace of Auburn Hills, and our seats sucked. Could barely see him. The middle show was Love and Theft, and it was... solid, but wasn't up to par with the other two.

Man, I don't care much for AC/DC, but don't talk shit about Iron Maiden. :sad:
    Movie Theater Diary

Quote Quoting Kurosawa Fan (view post)
    Your second performance was like my first. I stood ten feet from him at Joe Louis Arena for 2 1/2 hours while he jammed to a set list of incredible song after incredible song. This was right after the release of Time Out of Mind. The last time I saw him on the Modern Times tour, the show was great (Foo Fighters opened for him doing an acoustic set), but it was at the Palace of Auburn Hills, and our seats sucked. Could barely see him. The middle show was Love and Theft, and it was... solid, but wasn't up to par with the other two.
    Yeah, that second show, there was a time when he played was "Don't Think Twice, " "Desolation Row" and "Maggie's Farm" back to back, and I nearly cried.
    Movie Theater Diary

Good news, Canadians. Netflix just announced that they're expanding to Canada before the end of the year.
    Movie Theater Diary

I don't listen to AC/DC and Maiden like I used to, but I still certainly enjoy their music.
    “What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.”

Tod Browning's Freaks was very good. Great, even. Much better than his Dracula, certainly.

Heart-breaking, too. One of the few instances where I felt studio interference actually improved the ending of the film. I really like what we got - much more than the other few endings that had been shot.
    "All right, that's too hot. Anything we can do about that heat?"

"Rick...it's a flamethrower."

Good news, Canadians. Netflix just announced that they're expanding to Canada before the end of the year.
    I'll never leave the house again!
    Just because...
    The Fabelmans (Steven Spielberg, 2022) mild
    Petite maman (Céline Sciamma, 2021) mild
    The Banshees of Inisherin (Martin McDonagh, 2022) mild

The last book I read was...
    The Complete Short Stories by Mark Twain

The (New) World

Quote Quoting Ezee E (view post)
    Same here.

And "Hotel California" might be one of my most hated songs ever. The only one that beats it might be "Sweet Home Alabama."
    At least "Sweet Home Alabama" has a nice groove. "Hotel California" is a terrible example of mediocre-at-best white-boy reggae. One of my most least favorite songs.

Quote Quoting Daniel Davis (view post)
    At least "Sweet Home Alabama" has a nice groove. "Hotel California" is a terrible example of mediocre-at-best white-boy reggae. One of my most least favorite songs.
    Hipster!

Actually, I don't mind "Hotel California", but I despise The Eagles otherwise. Skynard is okay in my book as is Iron Maiden, but I hate Van Halen and AC/DC. I'm not sure how one can defend AC/DC for their energy and not extend that same courtesy to Van Halen. Both are equally energetic and shitty.